2015 FREE DINING THREAD _ All Questions HERE!!

My tiredness finally got the best of me and I fell asleep and now I've missed 10 pages so congratulations to everyone in those last 10 pages who got what they wanted!

Sidenote: My DV did come today! Yay! But since I was able to book online this morning and apply the reservation to the DV anyway, it didn't matter as much :)

I'm so glad I stayed up and was able to modify my reservation right after the deal went online. Would have hated to be stuck on the phone for hours and possibly still not get free dining. I got the resort and dates I wanted: Preferred King at CSR 11/15-11/21. Also upgraded to deluxe dining. Haven't been to Disney in a few years and so excited to be going back!

For me personally, booking a new reservation at around 6 a.m. could not have been easier. I had absolutely no problems, glitches, or slow website, it just took a few minutes. I get a sense that modifying existing reservations either online or on the phone was not so easy. I think that for people who planned to go to Disney and stay onsite regardless of a discount, pre-booking made sense. But after the glitches today I think many people who are dependent on FD will think twice about pre-booking with the hopes they could easily modify their reservation online to "add" FD, it just didn't always sound that simple. Having a room booked already you needed to modify did not appear to give you an advantage, it may have ended up being a disadvantage for some because of how quickly people were able to make new bookings and take those rooms. I think a lot of the standard rooms at moderates weren't available for FD because those people who were not dependent on FD for travel booked those, since that was the most economical way they would NOT need FD. I'm so happy some people had positive experiences with TAs today, but I think it would have driven me insane! Just my two cents.
That is helpful, I think. So, in other words, Joe Blow had a POR standard room pre-booked, went to modify to add FD, and none was available. Had he been trying to book a NEW reservation, he would have seen that the garden view was available to book with FD, but not standard. He, however, could not see this info, because he was trying to modify and add something that was not available for his room class. Something like that?

I'm a TA and knew about the crazy release. I was on the phone and online well before 6 cst and just finally got a reservation about an hour ago. It was a bad day for TA's but it really wasn't their fault. There were a lot of really upset TA's posting to the Disney Travel Profesional FB page today.

I should clarify, many TA's knew and I am sure worked very hard, but some people commented on TA's who were out of the office or not available.

Can I ask, do you have a separate number to call or do you get in with general public as well? Do you feel like it was more chaotic than previous years for TA's?

Meaning, that you have been on the phone all day and only got to actual reservations one hour ago! Wow.

I was disconnected a few times and tried online all day with no success. I was booking my own reservation and after a number of hours, I just decided I would book on WDW's website like everyone else and not through my agency. I was afraid that I wouldn't get it. Even that didn't work. It was an interesting day to say the least.

That is helpful, I think. So, in other words, Joe Blow had a POR standard room pre-booked, went to modify to add FD, and none was available. Had he been trying to book a NEW reservation, he would have seen that the garden view was available to book with FD, but not standard. He, however, could not see this info, because he was trying to modify and add something that was not available for his room class. Something like that?

Yeah, although I'm not sure if in trying to add FD to an existing reservation, he could have seen there was another view available with FD. Because then you could have the option of choosing to keep your existing package with the standard room or change to a garden view and get FD. I'm not sure what happens when you try to modify, I'm afraid to even touch that button on my current reservation, lol. It does sound like that it was rare for someone to just go and modify an existing reservation and not change any dates, resorts, or room categories.

So, we decided to not go with the free dining. It's just not worth it for us. We've never done it before so we won't miss anything. We've never even done the dining plan at all. We're just going to go with the RO discount like we usually do. After looking at all the rates for room only the week we plan to go (Sept. 21-28), it made me think if resorts that don't offer FD are less crowded. I see that ASM does not offer the FD when we are there, so would that be a better value resort to pick if we just want a RO and not have a all the crazy crowds there from the FD?

I should clarify, many TA's knew and I am sure worked very hard, but some people commented on TA's who were out of the office or not available.

Can I ask, do you have a separate number to call or do you get in with general public as well? Do you feel like it was more chaotic than previous years for TA's?

Yes, we have a separate number. For some reason, this morning, many of us called the TA number but got stuck in the regular que. Once a CM did pick up after 2 hours on hold but told me that she couldn't help me and would have to transfer me to the TA que which at that point was 190 minute wait. This year was definitely different, at least for me. I booked a few clients last year. I spent about 2.5 hours on hold but that was nothing compared to today.

Thanks that makes me feel better! I promised my daughter CRT and we also made reservations at Ohana. I think I may be more excited than my kids!
getting exited is the best way to get your kids exited and the best way to really enjoy the place..just remerber you will not be able to do everything.. and take time to just look around. when you will make fast pass +, peter pan is a must do with the fp, the kid really love it and thw waiting can be long.. winnie the pooh at the beggining of the day and the space mountain a early fp+ for your 9 years old, that way you dont have to wait a long time with the young one and if both adults want to do it, ask for a child sawp, that way your son can do it twice (one with each adult)

I think that there not a lot of people goion at the same dates of me.. just check for pleasure and stille avaibility at cbr form october 29 to november 6 stand and preffered room

I've got a question that I would like some opinions on...

Knowing that FD was just a rumor with nothing confirmed, I went ahead and booked a reservation on Saturday at Pop, not because I wanted to bypass my GREAT TA, but because I didnt want to add extra work in case the rumored dates didn't pan out. When I got up this morning to modify my previous reservation I went ahead and emailed my TA with my request thinking it wouldn't be a problem.

FF ahead 14 hours and she tells me that Pop is gone for my dates. It's a good thing that I booked early. She said that she can try again tomorrow and see if anything opens up. She doesn't know that I've got the other reservation. Should I go ahead and have her try or just stay wih what I've got? I wanted her to get the business which is why I emailed her this morning. I didn't even fathom that Pop would be full by now.

I've been trying to call all day and haven't been able to get through. My travel agent has been trying as well and since we booked through her, I don't have the option on MDE to modify my reservation (unless I'm totally blind and don't see the option...very possible). I'm bummed but we were planning on going no matter if we got free dining or not. I'll keep trying and if we get it, then great. If we don't then we are still going to WDW and you can't be sad when you're going to WDW!

Was anyone able to get a Beach Resort Garden View room with free dining. Also could someone tell me what 180+10 means. Thanks everyone.
I was :) and the 180 days prior to check in is the first day you can book dining then you can book up to 10 days after

I've got a question that I would like some opinions on...

Knowing that FD was just a rumor with nothing confirmed, I went ahead and booked a reservation on Saturday at Pop, not because I wanted to bypass my GREAT TA, but because I didnt want to add extra work in case the rumored dates didn't pan out. When I got up this morning to modify my previous reservation I went ahead and emailed my TA with my request thinking it wouldn't be a problem.

FF ahead 14 hours and she tells me that Pop is gone for my dates. It's a good thing that I booked early. She said that she can try again tomorrow and see if anything opens up. She doesn't know that I've got the other reservation. Should I go ahead and have her try or just stay wih what I've got? I wanted her to get the business which is why I emailed her this morning. I didn't even fathom that Pop would be full by now.

Someone said earlier that your TA can still get credit for your booking if they cancel the original one and you transfer the new one over. I've never booked through a travel agent but it's worth a shot. My fear would be that she came up with POP eventually and was excited to let you know, but maybe all she could get was a higher room type, or a more expensive reservation. Plus that means she doesn't have to stress about it and she can focus on other clients.

Yeah, although I'm not sure if in trying to add FD to an existing reservation, he could have seen there was another view available with FD. Because then you could have the option of choosing to keep your existing package with the standard room or change to a garden view and get FD. I'm not sure what happens when you try to modify, I'm afraid to even touch that button on my current reservation, lol. It does sound like that it was rare for someone to just go and modify an existing reservation and not change any dates, resorts, or room categories.

Hmmm....I had a preexisting Pop Standard room booked for late September, with dining and park hopper added (we were going whether we got deal or not). After seeing nothing live at midnight, I set my alarm ten minutes before 5 am cst, and checked on my iPad once I got up. I hit "modify", and it gave me a list of options of rooms at Pop (not just saying my current one was unavailable), as though I were making a new reservation. My standard was greyed out as not available, but the "standard pool" was available which is what I went with (after piddling around in POR for awhile, but resisting the temptation of switching over-- just can't justify the extra cost when DH and I are out n about so much in the parks and other resorts-- hah). Next screens took me to reselecting our park hopper and dining plans. It seemed that once I hit "modify" on my existing reservation, it almost cancelled out everything, as though I were rebooking each part again. Took all of 5 minutes.

Honestly I think a lot of it has to do with when you signed on, people's internet connections, people's different devices (laptop, iPads, Chrome, Safari, etc), how many people were on at once, which resorts you were trying to book with how many people/rooms at once, etc. etc. Not so much if you had a preexisting reservation or not.

if you up grade from free qs dp to the ddp, how is it labeled on your mde account?

also i did the math if you upgrade from ddp to dxdp they are only charging 38pp per night for adults. that is really cheap for the difference going from 1ts to 3ts.

I can not thank everyone enough here.. this is our first trip to Disney and because of all the info and tips on here I just added an extra night for us.
I modified my reservation this morning to add free dining.. Side note: the mod option still only shows in IE and not chrome for me!
Then tonight after the girls were in bed I called to have my pre paid booking for CRT credit back my CC and use dining credits and used that money to add an extra night and days park tickets to our reservation :-)

So very happy !!!!

Hmmm....I had a preexisting Pop Standard room booked for late September, with dining and park hopper added (we were going whether we got deal or not). After seeing nothing live at midnight, I set my alarm ten minutes before 5 am cst, and checked on my iPad once I got up. I hit "modify", and it gave me a list of options of rooms at Pop (not just saying my current one was unavailable), as though I were making a new reservation. My standard was greyed out as not available, but the "standard pool" was available which is what I went with (after piddling around in POR for awhile, but resisting the temptation of switching over-- just can't justify the extra cost when DH and I are out n about so much in the parks and other resorts-- hah). Next screens took me to reselecting our park hopper and dining plans. It seemed that once I hit "modify" on my existing reservation, it almost cancelled out everything, as though I were rebooking each part again. Took all of 5 minutes.

Honestly I think a lot of it has to do with when you signed on, people's internet connections, people's different devices (laptop, iPads, Chrome, Safari, etc), how many people were on at once, which resorts you were trying to book with how many people/rooms at once, etc. etc. Not so much if you had a preexisting reservation or not.

Ok, that makes sense. It did seem like more problems were occurring for people later in the morning, that's good you had great success early morning! It must have just been the site couldn't handle much of anything during good chunks of the day.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter