2015 destash - Purge Purge Purge, Purge is the word

Any tips on how to get dh on board with getting rid of stuff?
Get everything in order and start sorting his things. Start asking him questions. "Do you want to throw this out? Give to charity, or keep? It is hard to destash and maybe he is just to overwhelmed and don't know how to start.

Maybe I'll get all my stuff in order first. His keep pile would be most of it. He has trouble letting go of things.

Is anyone else participating in 40 bags in 40 days? I signed up again this year. I did well for the first two weeks last year, then abandoned it when my grandmother was admitted to the hospital for an extended stay. The challenge coincides with Lent.

I have elected to get rid of a grocery size bag each day and make it part of my morning routine. It may be trash, something to donate or something to sell. This morning I sorted through newspapers, kid day care papers and coupons. I've got a grocery bag and small shipping box heading to the recycle bin.

Just gave away my old Nintendo system complete w/ acc. and 20 games, that emptied out a complete drawer!!

I'm still plugging along daily on SOMETHING that is declutter/destash/organize related. What else is there to do when it's this cold out? I hope everyone has a great weekend!

I went through DS' toy box in the family room and ended up with several bags of trash plus organized all of Skylanders, Infinity, etc characters. He has very little left in the toy box which is good since all he really plays with are his Lego and electronics.

Last year we did a big destash. Basement, garage, and shed. Man does it feel good to know all that stuff is gone and we are organized.

Last edited:
I am fortunate in that my dh volunteers 2 days a week at a donation place which then sells, at a very discounted price, the donated items. So,I have a very handy place to send my gently used items! I painted my LR last week, re-arranged all the furniture & that inspired me to continue purging thru the rest of the house. My motto is "Less is more." I am loving how much more room I have, in drawers, closets, rooms. It is so freeing! Keep up the good work, everyone!

Last night we finished our bedroom.......it actually looks like 2 adults live here.

LOL, I need to do that to our room too. We have 1 picture on the wall and the dresser tops become dumping grounds. It would be nice to have a decorated, peaceful space.

My dad, after a 7 week nursing home stay at the end of 2014, managed to be home not even a month before he went back to the hospital. Now he is in a nursing home permanently. So, our family is cleaning out his assisted living apartment.

I'm sorry to hear about your dad.

10959305_10100960154285317_8215148295319444388_n.jpg

We lived here 28 years. We moved at least 1/2 of our belongs. See that white door above the porch? About 3 weeks ago, I convinced my dh to get a back hoe lift and we brought down all of our heavy dressers and anything else that cannot fit down the steps. We just need to bring down our mattresses. I should take a picture when we do it. 2 people stand up on the porch roof and we slide the mattresses down using those big blue tarps. I wish the snow would go away, but I don't see that happening. It is suppose to be bitterly cold again this week.

I finally convinced my dh to get a dumpster.

You have such a pretty house! I didn't scroll back through but didn't you sell or are getting ready to sell?

Keep up the good work everyone!! :D

I have not done much since my last post. After cleaning out my purse, all of my cards & IDs got organized back into a big wallet again. Happy to say I have kept it organized for 2 months now. I try to clean out my purse once a week and dump/shred receipts or trash. Last weekend, I needed to find some papers and organized the paper drawer. Still working on a better filing system.

This weekend, I hope to organize my school stuff. There are tons of extra supplies/worksheets that I need to figure out if I will keep and file or toss. I have a 3 day weekend next week then spring break coming up after that. Looking forward to making a list of projects to tackle during that time and plan to paint a few spaces also.

It was out with the old and in with the new (and smaller) this week. Old big coffee table sold for $10, bought a smaller one at IKEA for $25. Got rid of a big, clunky garbage can in our kitchen with a lid that is always breaking, bought a smaller sleeker model. Cleaned out the girls' closet - AGAIN! - and added more clothes to the rubbermaid bin to send hopefully take to Once Upon a Child in a week or two to try and sell.

Yes we sold the house, we close Thursday. We brought a dumpster to the house and it is full. We could get another one at our new house and really sort through our belongings. The only thing I felt guilty throwing away was the kids ice skates. I should of called a scrap person.

I'm not one to post often but I've been reading a lot. I've cleaned out my junk drawer and bought cheap organizers. OMG. it looks so much better. And it didn't take me that long. Thank you,everyone, for your ideas.

Gave away a 27 in TV this past weekend (can't remember if I already posted that or not)

Sold 13 books and pocketed 35.00!!! :)

I just sorted papers lately. That is always a never ending process but I have one full bag of throw away so that is good.

Our next donation pick up says March 11, so I will call to be put on the list. So far we have 1 bag of ds1 clothes, 1 bag of clothes that ds3 and I sorted through and 1 bag of stuff that ds3 and I sorted through. I am adding 2 books to that today. One of the books is an arc and it says not for sale on the cover. Has anyone ever donated these? I usually give all my books away anyway except for those signed by the authors. I win them all anyway and dont buy them.
I was just curious if donation places just throw those out since it says you can't sell them (books marked as arc - advanced reader copy)?? I cant give them to the people I usually do at church because of the content.

So hopefully between now and March 10 I will get a lot more stuff together to donate.

February

Trashed

1 Broken Lamp

1 Dish Cloth

2 Pair of socks

16 mismatched plastic-ware tops (non-recyclable)

1 Bag of old jolly ranchers

1 bag of soggy “dried” fruit

Recycled

3 Large sheets of mangled construction paper

48 Magazines

2 Grocery Bag of receipts and misc papers

6 expired medications (dropped off at med recycle)

2 DVC sales packets from WDW

Sold

4 comic HC TPB”s 100.00 (craigslist)

105 comics 90.00 (comic website)

12 books 35.00 (local bookstore)

Gave Away

1 Nintendo (NES) w/ assorted acc. (craigslist)

20 Nintendo (NES) Games (craigslist)

6 boxes of candy canes (left over from fundraiser from school)

1 27 in. TV (craigslist)

Donated

1 small wicker basket

2 small picture frames

1 small desk organizer

1 eye glass case

2 antenna toppers

5 books

1 battery operated clock

1 small storage container

1 “free” laptop bag

2 small Tupperware containers

2 Pair of sunglasses

1VHS Tape

1 Pair of mittens

3 unused photo albums

1 character glass

1 Action Figure

Total Items Left 258

Total Items Replaced 0 Items

Net Decrease -258

Finally managed to get to Goodwill today. Dropped off a huge bag of clothes, a box full of misc. stuff, a printer (works fine, DH just didn't want to keep it anymore) and 2 christmas trees. A friend asked me to take her tree as she knew I was headed that way. I've been driving around with a car full of stuff all week, feels awesome to have it gone. Also had an inquiry on a imaginext set I've had listed on Facebook for awhile. If that sells tomorrow, it'll be a few more dollars into the fund.

I've been kind of forced to clean things out over the past month - first was the kitchen because we were having granite countertops installed - finally! I got rid of so much I actually have space in the lower cupboards and it's definitely going to stay that way!

Then we had wood floors installed on the whole main living area of our house. So first I went through everything as I put it upstairs so the floor could be installed and now that it's done, I'm going through it all again and still finding more things to get rid of as I put it all back. It is a good feeling getting rid of so much stuff.

I'm only halfway done returning things to their spots so I'm sure I'll find lots more as I go.

Wow! So much progress from you all! I feel like such a slacker!:crazy2:

Life has been so crazy busy lately, but I've been trying SO HARD to declutter at least one small area/drawer/pile every day. Somedays are more succesful than others, but yesterday I took three large boxes to the Goodwill and a trunkful of trash/recycling to the transfer center... it felt so good!

And the woman who agreed to buy DS's Rescue Heroes a few weeks ago FINALLY came through with the cash and that is a large pile of toys gone and $90 in DS's pocket! He was pretty happy!

Basement progress has NOT happened.... just too dang cold for now!

I'm going to take a minute now and go back and read all about your progress posts and get motivated!...............P

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter