2015-16 Boston Bruins Thread... A New Hope...

It was a crushing game to be at. The 1st period, there was not 1 person in the Garden that thought the Bruins wouldn't be going to the playoffs. Then... 4-1. And I don't blame that entirely on Monster. He came up huge in the 1st per. Big saves and stone walling break-aways. At least 3 of the 4 goals came off a tip or deflection. That is laid at the skaters' feet. If you allow the opposing players clear lanes without the threat of being cleared out or even leaned on, this is what happens. And though pulling the goalie with 9 min left, was a quizzical decision to say the least (I would've left him in hoping to make it 4-2 on the PP), I don't fully blame Claude. The B's were not playing like Claude's job was on the line, so I don't blame him. You're not gonna help me? Stay out there and get boo'd. As BDLsgal was pointing out to my cousins yesterday, this was THE first game that we ever left early. We have been there for 7-1 losses. But this was an abomination. To the point where I ALMOST felt bad for the people that won "shirts off the back." They had to stay til the end and beyond. And if they received a sweater from a player that the remaining fans blamed for the state of the Bruins, those fans on the ice, had to endure the boos.

After Thursday's game, I viewed that like the "Roberts steals 2nd", "Tuck rule instant replay" type moment. Though divine mechinations, the Bruins were given an opportunity, that THEY had to capitalize on. In this case, there was no RBI single up the middle; No Vinatieri FG. It just came to an abrupt end.

Philly just won 3-1, so it's official.

Another year. Another collapse. Another disappointment.

Will someone PLEASE tell me how, with a game they had to win, against a team with nothing to play for, they...don't... show... UP?!

Big changes are needed. I won't say what I think. I'll leave it to the team and hope they get it right this time.

SteveA... Say what you think. That's what online forums are for.

I'll start.

First, there is a lot of money that is moving this Summer. The Overage fine of $969k and the retained Looch money of $2.75m is coming off the books. Then there are the actual contracts that are coming off the books.

UFA's
Loui Eriksson - $4.25m
Max Talbot - $900k
Lee Stempniak - $850k
JM Liles - $3.85m
Kevan Miller - $800k
Monster - $700k
Chris Kelly - $3m

RFA's
Brett Connolly - $1.025m
Landon Ferraro - $600k
Tyler Randell - $600k
Torey Krug - $3.4m
Joe Morrow - $863k
Zach Trotman - $625k
Colin Miller - $602k

All that adds up to about $26m. Obviously, the Bruins aren't going to let everyone go.

Out of the UFA's, I'd love to see the team bring deadline acquisitions Stempniak, Liles (depending on what he's asking), back. And I would really like to see Talbot in a full season. The only Bruin that played harder than him on every shift was Beleskey, and I'd like to see a restoration of a hard 4th line. I would also like to see Monster back, but he played himself into a big contract somewhere else. So I hope McIntyre or Subban are ready for the spotlight next year.

Out of the RFA's, I believe the B's will bring back all the young guys. Especially since Krug made himself more affordable with his play this year. Connolly is gone.

All that being said, that's about $12m+ freed up. Also, Joe Hags speculates that the B's will buy out Seidenberg's contract. I don't know the math that would be involved in that.

And, if (HUGE IF) my prayers are answered and they can trade Krejci, that is $7.25m. That is up to $7.25m of D-man that you can trade for, without touching the freed up space. Irony of ironies, and hope beyond hope, that is roughly the cost of Jack Bauer's on-in-law, Dion Phaneuf. Controversial statement I know. But I'd take him over 46 any day of the week. Especially wit ha weak D FA class.

Speaking of the FA, the Holy Grail is Stamkos. The Bruins aren't going to come close to get him. The may make offers to drive up the price and force other teams to eat more cap space. But a realistic and I think good fit here would be David Backes. He's got grit and the team mentality. After that, I have no idea where they could go.

Now, we come to the coaching staff. I would love to see Claude come back. There is not a better coach out there that has his pedigree. I really don't want to see him go. Once again, Joe Hags on Toucher & Rich this morning was less than optimistic. And then he went further, and said that a front runner for the position would be Harvard coach Ted Donato. And he doesn't just attribute that to Ted's connection to the Bruins, but also to how well the Flyers did with a college coach this year. If Donato is tapped, I would not be surprised for him to name A. Oates as his #2. I know I sound like a 10 yr old assembling a fantasy team with his favorite players rather than the best out there, but bear with me. Oates was the 1st and only coach that I have ever seen Ovechkin listen to (until he got sick of it and Oates was gone). And anyone that can reach AO, at all, deserves a spot behind the bench.

Well those are my opinions. I may come up with a report card later this week. Don't expect too many vowels.

Also, I just heard that Krejci had a hip injury and that was the reason for his down year. I'd like to write something here, but this is DISboards and I don't want to be profane.

Welcome to the golf course folks; be careful though, the Leaf fans have had a head start.

Seriously... What kind of world do we live in when there are 3 Original-6 teams out of the playoffs and not 1 Canadian team?

My team is still in the playoffs but we'll see if we make it past first round. We're going duck hunting

Seriously... What kind of world do we live in when there are 3 Original-6 teams out of the playoffs and not 1 Canadian team?

That's the Leafs' only remaining claim to fame, one of the Original 6.

:rotfl2:

Last edited:
Bruins press conference this morning at 10am.

Hopefully, most of the questions will be answered. Most importantly, will or won't Claude be back next year.

Bruins press conference this morning at 10am.

Hopefully, most of the questions will be answered. Most importantly, will or won't Claude be back next year.

I hear they are trading him the Canadians for Therrien;.

To quote the immortal James Earl Jones...

"NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Actually I would be happy if the just gave him to you for a couple of rolls of tape.

YES!!!!

Don Sweeney has just said that Claude will be back next year. But it looks like a lot of the asst. coaches are going to take a hit.

And Declansdad, when do you want me to meet you at the border to drop off Krejci and Hayes? Make sure you bring a zip-tie cutter.

YES!!!!

Don Sweeney has just said that Claude will be back next year. But it looks like a lot of the asst. coaches are going to take a hit.

And Declansdad, when do you want me to meet you at the border to drop off Krejci and Hayes? Make sure you bring a zip-tie cutter.

So it was the fault of the assistant coaches? Seems like that comes out of the Montreal playbook.

I'll let you know about the border time; should they really be untied at that time?

So it was the fault of the assistant coaches? Seems like that comes out of the Montreal playbook.

I'll let you know about the border time; should they really be untied at that time?

Who ever said that the zip-tie cutter was for the zip-ties? :cool2:

What's the big deal about only half the Original Six teams making the playoffs? Those teams have no special status.

Chicago vs. Boston in 2013 Cup Finals. I never understood why so many people were drooling over it. WOW!!!! The first O6 finals matchup since.....forever!!!!

No Canadian team making the playoffs WAS an eyebrow raiser, however. Will I ever see a Canadian team win the Cup again in my lifetime?

Hi All:

I know it's been a while. But I've still been in mourning and been engaging in twitter wars with people in regards to how to fix the Bruins. So, far, I'm losing.

2 things...

First, if you haven't been watching the Blues/Stars series, you've been missing some good, hard fought hockey. That has led to the greatest 2 words in sports "Game Seven."

Secondly, in the "Pathway to the resurrection of the Nordiques" file, the Habs and B's will play an October pre-season game in Quebec City.

I hope everyone has had a good Spring so far.

It's been a while, but I have to say (sigh).... Congrats to the Penguins on their Stanley Cup win. But there is NO WAY Crosby deserved the Conn Smythe.

Tonight is the NHL Awards night. Please, for the love of God, don't let any "Real Housewives of... " present any of the awards. Bergy is up for the Selke, again. But I think it will probably go to Kopitar. And Loui is up for the Lady Bing. I really wish the NHL would smarten up and let Cuba Gooding Jr. host at least once.

Also, the draft is coming up on Friday and the trade winds... They are a blowing.

Let's Go Bruins!

I suppose I'll watch the award show, for laughs if nothing else.

CSN just announced that Sweeney is in talks with Loui's agent and have an offer on the table. Felger's head will blow off if he stays.
Some rumors I've heard is Oilers and Bruins contacting the Blues about Shattenkirk and P.K. on the block.

It's been 5 years since we saw the B's raise the cup. I had to watch my DVD's of that series to relive happy Hockey memories. Been too long since we had any.

NHL to Vegas. What do you think?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter