2014 Refurb Rumor?

I think a lot of Tomorrowland is wasted, but then again, that's just my opinion. I would like to see an improvement to Autopia, which is cool in concept and something I loved as a kid but wow, what a pain to try and get through these days. Still, I have to admit I'd be sad if it disappeared simply for the nostalgia element :rolleyes1

Love Star Tours and Space Mt, but that is all there is in Tomorrowland that I care about visiting. Oh, I do like the big ball fountain thing. But I think Innoventions could be put to much better use and same with the whole arcade area. I'm one of the few that likes the submarines ok but I miss the Skyway buckets a lot.

I really dislike the concept of turning a whole land into one movie theme. That includes *gasp* Carsland. I wish they could have called it something else that would allow them to incorporate elements of the movie into it but allow for other possibilities also.

That would be great - we found Autotopia a dreadful ride - so many others seem to just love it but man, if I had to wait 5 minutes it'd be too long. I guess kids love the fake driving thing but for us adults who sit beside them it's not fun.QUOTE]

Kids do seem to like it but the height restriction for driving mitigates that too, I think. So glad my son will tall enough this year :cool2: unfortunately, his cousin accompanying us won't be. :sad2:

Autopia is the worst! Why the heck is the pedal SOOO hard to push down? I'm in good shape doing step classes and I cannot keep my one leg down on the pedal long before it starts to hurt/cramp, don't know how everyone does it. I have to somehow manage to get my left foot on there for a while and keep switching.

cuteinnocent said:
Autopia is the worst! Why the heck is the pedal SOOO hard to push down? I'm in good shape doing step classes and I cannot keep my one leg down on the pedal long before it starts to hurt/cramp, don't know how everyone does it. I have to somehow manage to get my left foot on there for a while and keep switching.

I thought it was difficult also, and then my company picnic was held at Old Tucson and my girls loved their little antique cars. I thought my leg was going to give out - it was so difficult to hold the pedal down. The Autopia ones could be much worse!

If not for Space Mountain I would not step foot in Tomorrowland. They ruined the submarine ride by doing a Nemo theme IMO and the rest of the area just has the "air" of a dirty carnival. I'm all for a complete revamp.

Yeah the Tomorrowland rumor has been going around for a few years now. It really does need it. Between all the unused track from the peoplemover/rocket rods and the slowly emptying out Innoventions, it is the most needed refurb in the park.

I miss the original autotopia. Nothing like those car fumes that clung to you all day. Now please excuse me, I need to go cough!:lmao:

DizMe said:
I really dislike the concept of turning a whole land into one movie theme. That includes *gasp* Carsland. I wish they could have called it something else that would allow them to incorporate elements of the movie into it but allow for other possibilities also.

I actually like the concept and LOVE the immersion feel of Carsland and Bug's Land - in DCA. Not necessarily for DL. I wouldn't want Tomorrowland to turn into a single themed area. I think it needs to stay Tomorrowland, just the concept of "tomorrow" needs to be updated.

I would question what this CM meant with "by 2015". If this means "completed by 2015", it ain't happening, because there just isn't enough time. Disneyland refurbs are almost always finished in time for the summer rush. A refurb of an entire land that started next January would never be completed in time for the 2015 summer season.

Up next is the question of what a complete refurb would consist of. Honestly, most of Tomorrowland is fine. Since the 1998 refurb of Tomorrowland, there have been several additions/improvements, such as the submarines, Autopia, Buzz Lightyear, Space Mtn. etc. They aren't going to just put up walls and redecorate. The area itself is still quite relevant.

Finally, retheming Tomorrowland is very unlikely. It's Tomorrowland! Doing a Star Wars theme or something with Marvel would be something I'd expect to see at DCA. But since that park has already gotten a major refurb and expansion, I seriously doubt that happening. Sure, "Disneyland will never be complete". But I don't think there's gonna be a rush to do the next big thing.

That's the goal but not always a guarantee.

square footage-wise, Autotopia is like half the of Tomorrowland. They could put in some pretty cool stuff in its place

I actually like the concept and LOVE the immersion feel of Carsland and Bug's Land - in DCA. Not necessarily for DL. I wouldn't want Tomorrowland to turn into a single themed area. I think it needs to stay Tomorrowland, just the concept of "tomorrow" needs to be updated.

Yes, I guess that does make sense since DCA is so Pixar oriented. I think Tomorrow is such a hard thing to keep up with, LOL! I can see why it's a headache.

Tomorrowland wouldn't be so hard to fix. Tron on the Peoplemover track. Get the rockets back where they belong. New 3d movie in EO. A new animatronic show in innoventions (or fresh E ticket), fix the hideous paint scheme, and - bam, it's fixed. (Basically just put it back the way it was).

Does Disneyland have anymore unused land? I'm not talking about the land the park is currently on. I mean land around the current parks that isn't being used. I would think not, but I could be wrong.

I agree that Tomorrowland should be the next refurb. As a PP said, the idea of tomorrow needs to be updated, because most of it, if not all, is yesterday. Although, big refurbs mean big price increases and that's not too exciting.

Does Disneyland have anymore unused land? I'm not talking about the land the park is currently on. I mean land around the current parks that isn't being used. I would think not, but I could be wrong.

I agree that Tomorrowland should be the next refurb. As a PP said, the idea of tomorrow needs to be updated, because most of it, if not all, is yesterday. Although, big refurbs mean big price increases and that's not too exciting.

No, they don't have any land that they are "sitting on for later" :( Quite a bummer, because unless nearby hotels come up for sale, Disneyland/DCA is pretty much locked in at their current size, I believe. I can't remember where all the parking lots are, but they aren't all on the same property--seems like there's one down Disney Way, and I can't remember where the others are. So, I suppose if one is still "on site", they could use that area maybe, but otherwise, they are out of luck until something comes up for sale. (Or demolishing something already there, which seems unlikely.)

I think I read something once about Tomorrowland, and, how, while it's a great idea in theory, tomorrow changes much faster than a theme park could keep up with... I mean, it was just 15 years or so that I thought I was "sooooo cool" because I had a cell phone, and now, 3rd graders are texting! While some things are still appearing to be very "future"-oriented, like hovercraft cars, other technologies are moving way too fast to build a theme park land around, ya know?

I doubt any high placed CM would spill the beans on future development to some random person they meet in the parks. Sounds like the rumors originated from Al Lutz/Miceage.

As for expansion, the current long range plan is to place a 3rd park where the current Toy Story/Cast Member parking lot is, and a large parking structure will be built where the Pumbaa lot is.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter