2014 Grand Floridian Resort & Villas FAQ: Vacationing in Grand Style!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Baler, thanks for that thoughtful review. I got a chance to see the new arrangement of the SL lounge after the remodel, and I believe that it is going to bring a lot of complaining from guests. I agree that having the desk right in the center of the seating is wrong, and hope the "suits" will reconsider that. :confused3 Having stayed both SL and RPC, the latter is by far the more relaxing! :thumbsup2 We have, however, had quite relaxing stays in SL :goodvibes (not on holiday weekends tho).

We are back home for awhile following a two week Disney trip followed by 5 days at home to do laundry and an unexpected stay at the beach due to a last minute cancellation. Anyway, after listing the twitter account for the Sugarloaf photos I promised a review and here goes. Do not let my review spoil your trip, I promise that I am extremely high maintenance and what bothers me would not bother the other 99% percent of the population. Also, keep in mind my review is based only on comparing Sugarloaf to RPC as prior to this trip we had only stayed RPC. Our trip was our longest at two weeks and we began with 4 nights RPC followed by 10 in Sugarloaf. We were in a standard in RPC located on the 4th floor, for this stay I did not receive any of my requests which were no connecting door, quiet location, not on lounge floor. They did apologize profusely but indicated that not only were there no other rooms available but that due to the closure of RPC no other rooms were checking out so we were not able to move either. Luckily, we were not there for a very long time as the location and neighbors were very noisy. The lounge, food, staff were wonderful as always. We checked into Sugarloaf as they were packing up the RPC and carts were being moved over to the newly renovated lounge. This was a tremendous amount of work in one day and the staff did a fabulous job getting everything ready for the next service in such a short amount of time. We were granted our request of a tower room , the tower rooms now have daybeds(and I was told the dormers do as well, but I did not stay in one and cannot verify). While the decor was more generic upscale hotel, in person it did not bother me as much as in the photos. Perhaps because we did not have the mirror over the daybed that I find so odd and out of scale. The room was nice, the heat lamps in the bathroom are gone and yes I really miss that retro item. Loved the new lit makeup mirrors. Loved the "Once Upon A Time" pillow that was on a chair in our room, should be made available in one of the stores. Well it was all downhill from there. I really disliked Sugarloaf, the best way I can describe it was chaotic. Very loud, not enough seating, staff right in the middle of the seating, guests in no shoes and sometimes no shirts. I felt like we were at a roadside Hampton Inn, the food service and lounge area seemed comparable if not more crowded at times. Now this was over a holiday weekend and I was told they were completely sold out and had guests from suites and some who were comp'ed due to reservation errors using the lounge. They ran out of some categories of food every single day for at least one service and often multiple services. There was often a long line at the start of the evening and dessert service. If you waited until the last 45 minutes of service they were usually out of most of the items. Several days they ran out of the rolls and bread of all things. Much food was thrown away, It was not uncommon to see staff clearing 20 or more plates from one table. I have never seen this before. The staff could not clear the tables as they were constantly trying to replenish the food. The concierge staff had to run between assisting guests and trying to clean tables (or rather everyone but one concierge staff member did). The highlight was the staff and most were members I knew from RPC, they worked tirelessly in attempting to assist guests with EVERYTHING, including food service. I did speak with one of the management to make them aware of the food service issues and point out that having to give my credit card to book tours etc, while people were eating within 2 feet of the concierge area was not the most ideal. Transportation: Hit or miss, we never had any trouble early in the morning there were buses and boats running early. We actually took the monorail at 8:30 on July2nd and had no trouble being near the front underpass at the train station and I was surprised by that. Several days buses were very slow to show in the middle of the day and late in the evening leaving the parks. We used the Spa and fitness centers as well as the marina for renting the water mice. This was our first spa visit since the remodel, it was very nice but I still prefer the spa at the Dolphin. We walked over to the Poly and even I was surprised at the mess over there. Not apparent until you get over towards GCH but wow after you enter. The turndown cards were back, housekeeping was satisfactory in Sugarloaf but outstanding with Samang in RPC. The need to leave more paper coasters or the paper lids for the glasses or the wood topped furniture will be ruined quickly. We would not return to Sugarloaf, we will continue to stay in RPC but if we were looking for a more budget friendly option we would simply book an Outer Building. I still love the GF but more and more the reasons are dwindling. The outstanding staff and location in relation to MK are the biggest factors at this point for us. Any questions please let me know.

Oh boy, sorry about those negative parts of your trip. We were most recently at SL last July and they were just under 40% occupancy so we didn't face those food/crowd issues but they would bother me as well. I'm glad you mentioned the connecting rooms as it sounds like we should also request not to have them when we stay RPC in Oct/Nov. I just hope it's not as crowded!

We are back home for awhile following a two week Disney trip followed by 5 days at home to do laundry and an unexpected stay at the beach due to a last minute cancellation.

Anyway, after listing the twitter account for the Sugarloaf photos I promised a review and here goes. Do not let my review spoil your trip, I promise that I am extremely high maintenance and what bothers me would not bother the other 99% percent of the population. Also, keep in mind my review is based only on comparing Sugarloaf to RPC as prior to this trip we had only stayed RPC.

We checked into Sugarloaf as they were packing up the RPC and carts were being moved over to the newly renovated lounge. This was a tremendous amount of work in one day and the staff did a fabulous job getting everything ready for the next service in such a short amount of time.

Well it was all downhill from there. I really disliked Sugarloaf, the best way I can describe it was chaotic. Very loud, not enough seating, staff right in the middle of the seating, guests in no shoes and sometimes no shirts. I felt like we were at a roadside Hampton Inn, the food service and lounge area seemed comparable if not more crowded at times. Now this was over a holiday weekend and I was told they were completely sold out and had guests from suites and some who were comp'ed due to reservation errors using the lounge.

The highlight was the staff and most were members I knew from RPC, they worked tirelessly in attempting to assist guests with EVERYTHING, including food service. I did speak with one of the management to make them aware of the food service issues and point out that having to give my credit card to book tours etc, while people were eating within 2 feet of the concierge area was not the most ideal.

We would not return to Sugarloaf, we will continue to stay in RPC but if we were looking for a more budget friendly option we would simply book an Outer Building. I still love the GF but more and more the reasons are dwindling. The outstanding staff and location in relation to MK are the biggest factors at this point for us. Any questions please let me know.

Thanks for your honest review. Unfortunately, I am not a fan of SL, either. I feel the same as you in that I thought the lounge was very chaotic with not enough seating to accommodate the number of guests staying there. I also don't like how the lounge is located in the center of the lobby as you enter the SL building. One of the perks of CL (to me) is the ability to relax in the lounge taking in the surroundings, but SL just doesn't have that relaxing atmosphere (at least not to me), partly due to the location of the lounge, IMO. Also, you are right about the concierge desk location. The desk needs to be in a separate area away from the main lounge area so guests have a little privacy to discuss things about their trip, give cc information for dining/tours, etc. As far as the no shoes/no shirt issue, that (unfortunately) goes on in all lounges, including RPC :sad2:.

I love the GF and will continue to stay there, but like you, I will not book SL again. I'm glad I had the opportunity to try it, but it just isn't for me. For my future GF stays, I will book RPC or outer building GV as I just didn't like SL enough to spend the extra money over GV.

Despite enjoying the food offerings and the low occupancy, I felt SL was a bit disorganized. Almost like they had to put another lounge somewhere so let's stick it in the lobby of Sugar Loaf. Had hoped the renovation would help a but but I guess not. That's why we love the Poly and WL- bc we can relax in the lounge and take in the surroundings. We look forward to more of the same at RPC :)

Good morning GF friends. Ugh. Did not like hearing about SL. Maybe it was best that we were not there this year...NOT! After staying in RPC, it is hard to go back to SL. We did that one year and it was not for us. I agree, GV room would be just as good.

Hi Blue - College bound student is getting ready. My dining room looks like a dorm room with all college stuff.

It will be fun planning for another trip. Hopefully, it will be next summer that we go.

Hi GF friends!
We are less than a month from our WDW trip, and a month (as of today) from our 2 night GF stay! We're so excited! I've added my room requests, made our ADRs (Citricos, GF Cafe, 1900), now just to pack and wait!

Can anyone confirm or deny that the "Goodnight" turndown cards are definitely gone? That'd be a big bummer. I swear I saw them in pics of VGF!

Hi K&A&C's mom!

Ok. I see the late Fall discounts came out. I went on line and nothing is available at GF for our 11/16-11/21 time frame. I'm on hold but I'm not getting a warm and fuzzy feeling that I'll be able to convert my current rate to the new Fall rate. Does anyone ever have any luck with this stuff? :confused3

Hi GF friends! We are less than a month from our WDW trip, and a month (as of today) from our 2 night GF stay! We're so excited! I've added my room requests, made our ADRs (Citricos, GF Cafe, 1900), now just to pack and wait! Can anyone confirm or deny that the "Goodnight" turndown cards are definitely gone? That'd be a big bummer. I swear I saw them in pics of VGF! Hi K&A&C's mom!

We stayed in Sago Cay last week and we did get the "Goodnight" turndown cards. We did not get one every night (probably 4 out of our 7 nights) but we did get chocolates every night!

Ok. I see the late Fall discounts came out. I went on line and nothing is available at GF for our 11/16-11/21 time frame. I'm on hold but I'm not getting a warm and fuzzy feeling that I'll be able to convert my current rate to the new Fall rate. Does anyone ever have any luck with this stuff? :confused3

Nope...no luck. Only Suites are available at the new Fall rate. I'm not surprised. She asked if we wanted to change resorts, in hopes of finding a fall discount, of course I told her......NO! :cool2:

I went online fast to get gf for a bunch of possible dates for me in November and NOTHING! CR was all booked up too!

Poly was available but with construction I don't want to take my Mom there for her first Deluxe experience. She really needs the WOW factor.

baler Thank you for sharing your thoughts and posting a review of your SL stay....I am sure that being in the midst of the CL move made things a bit more disorganized than they normally would have been...

We are I think among the minority in saying that I am a fan of both RPC and SL...and enjoy stays in both each year..We love RPC in the cooler months...and SL during our summer visits...I know that you can't beat the ambiance of the RPC lounge...but our experiences in SL are generally very enjoyable...I always likened the lounge to a small bistro...

Since the renovations though...I am not really familiar with the feel of the new lounge...I will say ..in this day and age where privacy is what it is all about..putting a CM desk in the middle of the lounge seems like very poor planning! :crazy2:

Sorry that you didnt have the most Grand vacation..but then that is always incentive for booking another trip! :goodvibes

Hi Blue - College bound student is getting ready. My dining room looks like a dorm room with all college stuff.

It will be fun planning for another trip. Hopefully, it will be next summer that we go.

Lol on the dining room...:crowded: ....Yes planning another trip is always lots of fun! :thumbsup2 Hoping you will be planning for next summer too....:wizard:

Hi GF friends!
We are less than a month from our WDW trip, and a month (as of today) from our 2 night GF stay! We're so excited! I've added my room requests, made our ADRs (Citricos, GF Cafe, 1900), now just to pack and wait!

Can anyone confirm or deny that the "Goodnight" turndown cards are definitely gone? That'd be a big bummer. I swear I saw them in pics of VGF!

Hi K&A&C's mom!

:cheer2:One month!!!! In baler's review she did mention that the turn down card are indeed back!:thumbsup2

Isn't that just unbelievable that the Fall discount just came out and there is nothing available....:confused3 Generally once you approach the 45 day mark...when packages need to be paid in full you can come upon some cancellations...but this year with the GF attracting more people due to the Poly and WL construction I am not sure how readily anything might open up... Keep checking though... :wizard:

We stayed in Sago Cay last week and we did get the "Goodnight" turndown cards. We did not get one every night (probably 4 out of our 7 nights) but we did get chocolates every night!

Thanks for reaffirming the turn down card info...the cards really are such a nice touch...almost as nice as those creamy yummy chocolates! ;) :mickeybar (my substitute chocolate smilie...lol...) :goodvibes

MickeyNut New fall into winter discounts are out..right into December..just saying!!! :flower3:

~ So I was going to share that I saw on the Diisney site that the "late" falll discounts are finally out!! :cheer2: Looks like its probably common knowledege already though...lol... Sorry to say..not much availability at the GF for any of the times that I checked...:upsidedow... Was happy to see that the offer went so far into December though...

:wave2: To all of my fellow GF fans....

Hope that everyone is having a wonderful Wednesday! :earsgirl: preppy GF gal...

Hi GF friends!

Hi K&A&C's mom!

I hope you have a great trip and that all of your requests are met :wizard:.

I see minniemouse803 received the turn down cards last week and baler31 also posted in her review that they had them as well....so it looks like they might be back :goodvibes.

Nope...no luck. Only Suites are available at the new Fall rate. I'm not surprised. She asked if we wanted to change resorts, in hopes of finding a fall discount, of course I told her......NO! :cool2:

This is just a guess, but I'm thinking the GF has been booking up by Poly guests wanting to avoid the construction there, as well as WL guests wanting to avoid the pool closure/refurb going on there (this is probably true for the CR, too). With so many guests changing to the GF, this leaves little availability for discounts. If the resort is at or near capacity, discounts will be very hard to come by for the fall time frame :(.

MickeyNut New fall into winter discounts are out..right into December..just saying!!! :flower3:

Hey Blue :wave2:...I see we were posting at the same time again :rotfl::rotfl:.

I saw this morning that the fall discounts were released and I couldn't resist.....had to check them out for December :laughing:.

MickeyNut Hey there!! Are we posting at the same time again??? lol...:goodvibes You are starting to take k&a&c'smom's place as my posting at the same time buddy....lol... :upsidedow

Ok thats a double posting at the same time !!! lol....Are we gonna go for the trifecta.....lol...

Crazyhorse: we are there at the same time -- 11/15-22nd! 115 days til our first trip to the world! :cheer2:

Luckily, we won't have to bring the dogbed. :rolleyes1

:

~Wow lots of upgrades for the WL peeps due to the pool construction..wonder if peeps booked at the Poly were offered the same opportunities... haven't really heard too much about that from any around here... I guess as the saying goes..Squeaky wheel....:wizard:

We were originally booked at Poly and booked back in Dec 2013 for Sep 2014. I do not think at the time that we had any discounts. So when we found out about the pool closure in January we knew we had to switch, especially with 5 children in our group. We booked thru AAA...ugh...and my parents who are blessing our families with this trip decided on the GF instead. They were obviously not happy with the price increase and asked AAA if there was anything they could do. AAA said that Disney never gives discounts because of situations like this but my parents insisted that they please try and ask. So supposedly it went to the AAA regional office and they came back and said we could stay at GF for only about $100 extra per room for the whole trip, plus we would get free Memory Maker. They really made it sound like it was a big deal that we got this discount since Disney "never does anything like this". Around this time the Memory Maker package came out that included a room discount plus free MM. I think that they just realized we were eligible for this package and applied that instead...even though it would have been available for us (most likely) anyways. Then in May the RO discounts came out and it was cheaper for us to do that so we then switched our reservation over to that package. So all in all, no we did not get any discount for switching from Poly to GF. We are still paying the GF prices that would have been available to everyone else. Just my thoughts.

I thought I read somewhere in these 144 pages about an elevator in the back side of RPC that you could take from your room to the pool (basically so you don't have to take the main elevator and walk through the lobby with your bathing suit). I tried searching, and cannot find it again. Maybe I initially misread the post. Does anyone know if there is an elevator to access RPC other than the gold elevator(s) from the main lobby??

It sounds like a good idea since I imagine it could be awkward coming back from the pool with your family. Everyone will be wet, wearing bathing suits or cover ups and having to walk through such a formal lobby to get the elevator to your room...where many people in the lobby are all dressed up waiting for dinner at one of the restaurants.

I know...#firstworldproblems!

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter