• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

2014 Grand Floridian Resort & Villas FAQ: Vacationing in Grand Style!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi fellow Disney lovers,
We will be staying in the GF for the first time this summer and we are pretty excited. I went to Disney 3 times as a kid. We always stayed offsite. This will be the 7th time my DH and I have taken our kids. We have previously stayed at Poly (2), POR (2), CB (1), and the Swan (1). The Poly holds the favorite resort for us because of the theme, location, volcano pool, and the self serve Dole Whip machine. My parents are joining us this time and we were originally going to stay at POR again but they wanted to try a resort on the monorail so they offered to pay the difference. Naturally, we wanted to stay at The Poly, but they didn't have any standard rooms available but they did at The GF!! I never thought that we would get the chance to stay at this beautiful resort. When we would ride the monorail to the MK and would stop at the GF, I would daydream about staying there. I really hope it exceeds our expectations.
Even though our kids have been there so many times, they are still as excited as if it were their first trip. We started going when they were really young. As they get older (and taller), we get to experience new adventures and attractions. Last year was the first year we could ride Splash Mountain and it quickly became a favorite for us. I can't wait to see what new things we can try this year!
I am looking forward to trying out the Magic Bands. I hope the FP+ is as good as it sounds!
Sorry for the long post!

welcome to the DIS and the GF thread :welcome: How exciting to stay at the GF this summer. There are many of us on here currently staying this summer for the first time at GF....mostly because of the Poly construction....but we all share your excitement :yay: What are your dates? What are the ages of your children?

Feel free to ask any questions. Everyone here is quite friendly on this thread so no question is off limits!

On a side note....I am very excited as Fed EX is delivering our tickets from UT tomorrow. As soon as they are in my hot little hands (OK--not so little hands) I am going to add them to MDE and select our magic bands. Will probably go ahead and make our ME ressie too(since we booked thru Orbitz it is all so manual...but totally worth the savings!)

Very excited - just finalized our reservation for a 2 bedroom at VGF for Oct 8-14. We were wait listed for the night of the 9th and it just came though today! We usually say at the Animal Kingdom Lodge and have stayed at the Poly and at WL but have never stayed at the Grand so this is very exciting for us - 4 adults and 2 girls 10 and 11. We're planning a day or 2 at the Food and Wine Festival and MNSSHP on one night. I'm hoping to get a reservation for dinner at Be Our Guest. We enjoyed it very much in January. Any suggestions for any other restaurants at or near the GF? I'm enjoying this board and the great photos. Thanks!

For the poster who was looking for help on points for a Studios at VGF 7 months out, it has been reported that Studios are the hardest reservation to get. We have a dedicated 2 bedroom and were unable to book our 6 nights at 7 months out. It is Columbus Day weekend but it looks pretty booked up most of the time. We were fortunate to get 4 of the nights (Fri-Tues) a few days after the window opened. Two weeks ago we got Wednesday night. We've had a wait list for Thursday night for about a month and it just came through today. I just checked and currently there are no studios available at VGF 7 months and for the 7 following days. I would try but figure you will need to use the wait list which is no guarantee, and have a backup plan. The more days you have in a wait list reservation the harder it is to get filled. They don't partially fill a wait list - it's all or nothing.

We stayed in a 2br in January and we all loved it:goodvibes, even the "I am NOT going there" 16 yr old boy after he saw pix. In person it is truly gorgeous. So spacious and the the balcony is huge:cool1:

Just booked our Club level Theme park view vacation for November!:cool1: It has been too long- Last visit was July 2012

Thank you for the warm welcome. We will be there in June.
My kids will be 9,8, and 6 when we will be there.
What are the casual dining restaurants at the Grand Floridian?
Also, my parents will be celebrating their wedding anniversary while we are there? Without being too fancy, are there any restaurants within the hotel that you would recommend?

Any GF vets experienced diners at V&A? DH & I will be returning to the world in October for some F&W and to celebrate our 29th, :scared1: wedding anniversary, without the girls :). We normally go to Narcoossee's, which we love, but DH keeps talking about V&A's and how much he wants to try it. While I know he'd LOVE it, I'm not as adventerous as he is about food which makes me hesitant. Is it true that I can let them know ahead of time my likes and dislikes or would I have to eat the different courses they offer on the menu? While I do enjoy some seafood, I'm more of a shrimp, cod & scrod fish girl and don't care for some of the stronger fish options out there. I also enjoy beef, pork and chicken but don't care for duck at all...so in other words, I'm a "little" picky :upsidedow. Does this mean I won't enjoy V&A or am I making myself nuts for nothing?

Congratulations on so many happy years! I think V&A's would be a wonderful way to celebrate- it's my favourite restaurant in the World.

They seem to be very accommodating about preferences, and with what you pay to eat there, I am absolutely certain that they would not make you eat something you did not like. They really do pamper you like royalty there.

That said...

(Disclaimer: I am an adventurous eater.)

The chefs are magical there. They are the King Midases (Midii?) of the food world. Everything they touch turns to delicious. If I were going to try anything I was unsure about, it would be at that restaurant. I don't like very strong fishy tastes much either (I prefer mine very fresh and raw, actually), but the Turbot in chowder was out of this world, one of the best things I have ever, ever eaten.

Believe me, no matter what, you won't be disappointed by V&A's. :)

Also, my parents will be celebrating their wedding anniversary while we are there? Without being too fancy, are there any restaurants within the hotel that you would recommend?

Hi there! The Grand is our family's favorite WDW resort and I think you'll love it there! Our DD has not wanted to stay anywhere else since our first stay there when she was just 3 years old.

The two casual restaurants there are the Grand Floridian Cafe, which serves breakfast, lunch and dinner, and 1900 Park Fare, which serves a character breakfast and character dinner, both buffets.

Citricos and Narcoossee's are not super fancy, but they are more upscale and pricey. Either would be great for an anniversary meal. In fact, if you tell them it's an anniversary meal when you make your ADR, they will print up special menus with your parents' names and the anniversary they are celebrating - so sweet!

:sunny:

Just booked our Club level Theme park view vacation for November!:cool1: It has been too long- Last visit was July 2012

:wave2: We just booked our club level theme park view November trip too! What days are you going? We'll be there Nov 3-8. :cheer2:

Just adding on to phyllis1966 's great info (had no idea about the special menu...so cute!) There are also a few more dining options at GF. Gasparilla Grill and Games(sp?) is the main counter service option serving breakfast, lunch, dinner and late night options. I believe k&a&c'smom has menu links on the first page for more info. There is also food available at the pool (limited menu) during pool hours and Mizner's Lounge serves a limited menu as well to those wishing to get away and relax with a few adult libations in a more adult, casual atmosphere.

We have dined at both 1900 Park Fare as well as Narcoossees. Love them both. 1900 PF is one of our favorite buffets on property and the characters there are great too. Narcoossees is more quiet but still relaxed. The views are great over the lagoon and we have always enjoyed both the food and service:thumbsup2

The dinner at V&A's is 3 hours of pampering with food. The experience is exceptional both for the level of service as well as the spectacular food. There are six courses, with choices for each course. There are both regular and vegetarian menus from which to choose, and they are happy for you to mix and match. Sample menus are here:

http://www.victoria-alberts.com/menus.html

They will call to confirm your reservation the week or so before your visit and will ask for food preferences then. I would encourage you to go for it, as I think it is a very special experience on many levels, and perfect for an anniversary celebration! Congratulations on 29 years!!!

Congratulations on so many happy years! I think V&A's would be a wonderful way to celebrate- it's my favourite restaurant in the World.

They seem to be very accommodating about preferences, and with what you pay to eat there, I am absolutely certain that they would not make you eat something you did not like. They really do pamper you like royalty there.

That said...

(Disclaimer: I am an adventurous eater.)

The chefs are magical there. They are the King Midases (Midii?) of the food world. Everything they touch turns to delicious. If I were going to try anything I was unsure about, it would be at that restaurant. I don't like very strong fishy tastes much either (I prefer mine very fresh and raw, actually), but the Turbot in chowder was out of this world, one of the best things I have ever, ever eaten.

Believe me, no matter what, you won't be disappointed by V&A's. :)

Thank you both. I am going to make the reservation! Every time we go to Disney, we say "someday" we'll try it...we said we'd go for our 20th anniversary (didn't happen), then it was for our 25th (didn't happen), then last year, we said for our 30th...well, since there are no guarantees in life, there's no time like the present! 29 years is a good enough number for me :).

Good Afternoon :wave2: Sorry I've been MIA had a slight accident, went grocery shopping on Sat and the trunk lid fell and hit my face & shoulder so I've been recuperating( nothing major just a sore cheek & shoulder surprisingly I only have a tine black n blue mark on my shoulder) ..So I'm here in my soggy part of PA dreaming of WDW and the GF
Hey ahcupcake !! :goodvibes So nice of you to offer your Grand Suite video...you did a great job with that...loved the music you added to it too...
Awwww thanks Blue Glad you liked it, I think those clowny's are in it <evil grin>

Hello Hello All!!:)

ahcupcake - How are you!!!
:wave2: Hi Wishes, hope everything is well with you?

Hi ahcupcake :wave:....good to "see" you back......hope things are going well with you :).
Hey Mickey :wave:, Everything is good here just a little soggy at the moment

:wave2: to all my Grand friends. Glad everyone is enjoying the new thread.:grouphug: I added the new rooms to the "Guest Rooms Photos" post, and hope to finish up the rest this weekend.

:wave: Thanks for the kind offer, I can add your link to the "Suites Photos" post.:goodvibes
Ok I'll PM you the link to the video.. Do you have a pinterest acct/page? Asking because I have one and have a GF board & a Grand Suite one as well (some of the Suite pics are BethClayton's I added them after her trip). I think I also have some from room #4026 (1bd on 5th fl faceing the Villas) but'd have to search for them

Any GF vets experienced diners at V&A? DH & I will be returning to the world in October for some F&W and to celebrate our 29th, :scared1: wedding anniversary, without the girls :). We normally go to Narcoossee's, which we love, but DH keeps talking about V&A's and how much he wants to try it. While I know he'd LOVE it, I'm not as adventerous as he is about food which makes me hesitant. Is it true that I can let them know ahead of time my likes and dislikes or would I have to eat the different courses they offer on the menu? While I do enjoy some seafood, I'm more of a shrimp, cod & scrod fish girl and don't care for some of the stronger fish options out there. I also enjoy beef, pork and chicken but don't care for duck at all...so in other words, I'm a "little" picky :upsidedow. Does this mean I won't enjoy V&A or am I making myself nuts for nothing?
Hi mommyrosa2, My DM & I dine at V&A every trip and have dined at all 3 of theirdining experiences ( Main diningroom 6 courses, Queen Victoria Room(QVR) & Chef's Table are both ten courses). They will absolutely work with you for allergies. I'm a picky eater as well and on one of trip there was anything that I was willing to try in one of courses so I think our "Victoria" asked if there was anything that I thought I would like in another course or from the vegetarian menu, so I *think* I had two items from the fish couse. I think now I would be willing to try that item, if I could remember what it was, since have since attended several of V&A's F&W Fest dinners but those ar a whole other story;) They should contact about a week before your reservation but if they don't call them and let them know about your allergies and dislikes. I'm attaching the web address & phone, you should be able to get more info from their website

Phone: 1-407-939-3862

phyllis Loved your pics..I am sure those are some wonderful memories! :goodvibes Oh how I loved that room decor....

pas Thanks for subbing for me!!! :flower3:

Pretty sure it's 60 if you're on site.....

Yup!:thumbsup2

Does anyone know if I can get half gallon of milk preferably skim anywhere at Grand? We can at BC and WL but I didn't see any in pictures on first page. Thx!

Sandy Cove was renovated and expanded to accomodate VGF patrons..lots of food items added ...there are half gallons of milk... just not sure if there is skim...I looked thru my pics..I do tend to take pics of almost everything..lol..:blush: but didnt have any showing that particular area of the shop...

I can't help myself. I keep going back to the first page and looking at all the pictures of the Grand (thanks to k&a&c'smom), and I am just drooling. We finally hit the double digit mark - only 99 more days to go until our Grand vacation!

Hope warm weather is coming to all my friends here!

:cheer2: Yay for double digits!!

We are at 100 today!!! . We are all excited for our first Grand stay!

Another yay for what is by now double digits!!

99 days for us!!!!! So excited!!!! Double digits!!!!!!!

A third yay!!!!

I'm sure you are just as excited as we are!!! What dining have you booked while at GF in July? We have Citricos and 1900 Park Fare dinners planned.

I think I see a DIS meet in the making! :crowded:

Just booked our Club level Theme park view vacation for November! It has been too long- Last visit was July 2012

Congratulations..:thumbsup2 What a nice room category to book for your return trip!

:wave2: We just booked our club level theme park view November trip too! What days are you going? We'll be there Nov 3-8. :cheer2:

Oh another DIS meet in the making! :grouphug:

We are here!

'Nuff said.

All the best! :thumbsup2

Enjoy!! :goodvibes Love to get some more feedback on the new rooms.. Inquiring minds here! :scratchin

wishes Glad that you got in touch with the manager at Citricos...That Sangria sounds like the perfect surprise for your friends :drinking1..and good to know for a future visit to Citricos...Love those personalized menus..we have some and they are a wonderful keepsake! :goodvibes

mommyrose What a wonderful way to spend your 29th anniversary... I see that circusgirl gave you lots of good info..and I knew that our resident expert ahcupcake would have lots of V&A info to share too...Enjoy!!! :cloud9:

Welcome SSMMB5 :goodvibes This is a great place to get lots of GF info..and just share your general excitement about your trip!

grace&carolinesmom Good luck with linking your UT tickets on MDE..I have a friend who swears by them...always buys her tickets from there...Would be interested in knowing how everything links up...:thumbsup2

circusgirl Thanks for sharing that very informative..and as always wonderfully descriptive info on V&A! :flower3:

ahcupcake Ouch! Glad you are doing ok after your accident..and on the mend... I knew that you would have lots of V&A info to share given the amount of times that you have dined there! Its always about the food!!! As for those clownys!!!! :faint: Don't evah want to see one of those in my room!!! lol....

mickeynut grannyminnie and k&a&c'smom Are you girls out and about and enjoying some spring weather now that its finally arrived...:flower2::flower2::flower2:

~ Lots of new posters trying out the GF due to Poly construction... Glad to see all here!! I really hope that you will find the GF as magical as you do the Poly...actually I am pretty sure that you will!! :goodvibes

Hope that everyone is having a terrific Tuesday!! princess:

Had to edit..over on my smilies yet again!!!! LOL...

BlueSkies I linked up my tickets from UT today on MDE...easy peasy lemon squeezy :goodvibes

I then changed the shipping address on our profile for our magicbands (prefills to the Orbitz Chicago address and phone) and chose our colors. I cancelled a dinner at Kona and added a breakfast at the Wave. (very excited about trying the sweet potato pancakes!) I then called ME and scheduled for our arrival day. Now my latest dilemma involves the private car service from GF to PBH and then back to MCO for the sad trip home :worried: Anyhoo.....trying to decide if we will go with Murray Hill Transportation (which we have used before and loved) or if we should try something new like FL Tours that sponsors the boards here. HHhhmmmm.....decisions, decisions,....:scratchin Oh well, at least I feel like I accomplished a lot today :yay:

Great thread!

Stayed at the GF briefly in 2011, while planning our vow renewal and loved it.

We are headed back in 23 days, staying SL for four nights. Plan on making it a resort heavy trip with 3 out of 4 dinners (Citricos, V&A Queen Victoria Room, and Narcoosee's) and we have a cabana booked for a day, as well.

Can't wait!

BlueSkies:

We had a special tour of the new rooms in Boca Chica yesterday. The entrance area carpeting is a bit busy, but it's colorful and somewhat inviting.

The rooms, like your previously posted photos, are elegantly done. The colors and textures reflect the nature of the Grand Floridian Resort's Victorian theme; however, the rooms are lacking any kind of Disney feel. Besides new wall paper and new shower curtains the bathrooms have not been refurbished, and as a result, the old marble counter top/sink area clashes with the new marble surface that serves as the base of the TV cabinet: An obvious continuity flaw.

All the remaining rooms in the other buildings, of course, will be done over with the exception of the three major suites in the Main Building. They need no makeover, we assure you (although we have never stayed in the Walt Disney Suite).

All the best. :thumbsup2

BlueSkies I linked up my tickets from UT today on MDE...easy peasy lemon squeezy :goodvibes

I then changed the shipping address on our profile for our magicbands (prefills to the Orbitz Chicago address and phone) and chose our colors. I cancelled a dinner at Kona and added a breakfast at the Wave. (very excited about trying the sweet potato pancakes!) I then called ME and scheduled for our arrival day. Now my latest dilemma involves the private car service from GF to PBH and then back to MCO for the sad trip home :worried: Anyhoo.....trying to decide if we will go with Murray Hill Transportation (which we have used before and loved) or if we should try something new like FL Tours that sponsors the boards here. HHhhmmmm.....decisions, decisions,....:scratchin Oh well, at least I feel like I accomplished a lot today :yay:

Sounds like you are all set!! :thumbsup2 Thanks for that UT info...Maxie86 has recommended them to me...I have an AP..but my DH..who for some reason does not love Disney as much as I do..:confused3...lol...does not..Thinking that manybe next trip we will give it a try...

Great thread!

Stayed at the GF briefly in 2011, while planning our vow renewal and loved it.

We are headed back in 23 days, staying SL for four nights. Plan on making it a resort heavy trip with 3 out of 4 dinners (Citricos, V&A Queen Victoria Room, and Narcoosee's) and we have a cabana booked for a day, as well.

Can't wait!

:woohoo: What great plans for a quick visit! Enjoy! and congrats on the vow renewal :goodvibes.. How exciting!! ..Will that be at the GF too...??

BlueSkies:

We had a special tour of the new rooms in Boca Chica yesterday. The entrance area carpeting is a bit busy, but it's colorful and somewhat inviting.

The rooms, like your previously posted photos, are elegantly done. The colors and textures reflect the nature of the Grand Floridian Resort's Victorian theme; however, the rooms are lacking any kind of Disney feel. Besides new wall paper and new shower curtains the bathrooms have not been refurbished, and as a result, the old marble counter top/sink area clashes with the new marble surface that serves as the base of the TV cabinet: An obvious continuity flaw.

All the remaining rooms in the other buildings, of course, will be done over with the exception of the three major suites in the Main Building. They need no makeover, we assure you (although we have never stayed in the Walt Disney Suite).

Thanks for the info..and your thoughts too! Did you happen to notice if there was a chair in the room? Some pics do not show a chair..yet some recent ones show that there is one?? We GF fans want the scoop!! LOL... :goodvibes

Good to know about the signature suites..I agree they are all lovely just as they are... I did notice today in your signature that you are staying in the Roy suite!!:cloud9: Enjoy!!

~ Still no luck with the Anna and Elsa FPP...:upsidedow :crazy2: but I wil keep trying!

:wave2: to all of my fellow GF fans...Hope its a wonderful Wednesday! :flower3:

Hello, my Grand friends!:wave: I've been busy with tax prep the last few days, finally finished.:crazy2: I'm never this late, I was starting to feel kind of nervous.

BlueSkies - I wish I were out enjoying the weather, we've had some cold days lately. Today is supposed to warm up to the 70s, though, yay!:sunny: Thank goodness, it started off in the 30s. Ick.

ahcupcake - sorry, but I don't have any of the social media accounts! Not into twitter, Facebook, MySpace, Foursquare, nuttin'.:laughing: If you PM me the link, I'll be glad to add it to the first page.:thumbsup2

BC1836 - thanks for your thoughts on the new rooms. I fear I won't be seeing them, unless I someday get a tour.:upsidedow

Thanks for the info..and your thoughts too! Did you happen to notice if there was a chair in the room? Some pics do not show a chair..yet some recent ones show that there is one?? We GF fans want the scoop!! LOL... :goodvibes

Good to know about the signature suites..I agree they are all lovely just as they are... I did notice today in your signature that you are staying in the Roy suite!!:cloud9: Enjoy!!

Howdy! No chair (except for a desk chair) in the newly refurbished standard room we saw yesterday, just the couch.

Yes, we are having a "grand time" in our suite. Thank you!

Howdy! No chair (except for a desk chair) in the newly refurbished standard room we saw yesterday, just the couch.

Yes, we are having a "grand time" in our suite. Thank you!

Bummer about that chair! Any chance the room you toured was a connecting room? I am *hoping* that is the key to getting a chair. We have requested a non-connecting room for sound reasons but would LOVE to have the chair as an added bonus!!!!

Sounds like you are having a "Grand" vacation. Enjoy :beach:

Hello, my Grand friends!:wave: I've been busy with tax prep the last few days, finally finished.:crazy2: I'm never this late, I was starting to feel kind of nervous.

BlueSkies - I wish I were out enjoying the weather, we've had some cold days lately. Today is supposed to warm up to the 70s, though, yay!:sunny: Thank goodness, it started off in the 30s. Ick.

ahcupcake - sorry, but I don't have any of the social media accounts! Not into twitter, Facebook, MySpace, Foursquare, nuttin'.:laughing: If you PM me the link, I'll be glad to add it to the first page.:thumbsup2

BC1836 - thanks for your thoughts on the new rooms. I fear I won't be seeing them, unless I someday get a tour.:upsidedow

Isn't is awesome when your taxes are finished? Such a load off your shoulders :cool1: I had to laugh about the social media accounts. I too have shunned all social media accounts and feeds. I do not want the drama, the pressure of responding, or (aahhheem-clearing throat) anyone from my past hunting me down....:rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2: If I want to talk to anyone, I will call, text, or email them. Otherwise....I am happy not to be included in all that craziness :joker:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter