2014 Grand Floridian Resort & Villas FAQ: Vacationing in Grand Style!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Checked into GF this afternoon. We booked GV and gentleman that walked us to check in desk sad "I'm sorry to report you've been upgraded to a lagoon view room" !!! So awesome - love having a little magic to start the vacation! We have ground floor room facing the Poly/wedding. Pavilion/villas and beach! Love the large patio also!!
:goodvibesCongrats on the upgrade! Hope you have a Grand time.:)

We have rented cabanas in the past at the Poly (the last time was fall 2012) and every time the attendant has accepted our tip. As grannyminnie said maybe the policy has changed? But we have definitely tipped in the past. :confused3 I agree with your approach, it can't hurt to offer the tip the worst that can happen is they will politely decline.

That makes me feel better, thanks. Just would not feel right not to tip when they provide a service like that!

We have rented cabanas in the past at the Poly (the last time was fall 2012) and every time the attendant has accepted our tip. As grannyminnie said maybe the policy has changed? But we have definitely tipped in the past. :confused3 I agree with your approach, it can't hurt to offer the tip the worst that can happen is they will politely decline.

Well, ok...I thought I remembered doing so...but since others have said they were refused, perhaps the policy has indeed changed. :thumbsup2

On another note...we are VERY excited to check in on Wednesday for our first stay the Grand!!! We are Poly converts due to the construction and we are so excited!! :banana: Thank you to everyone who provides information on this board, it's so helpful!! :thumbsup2

I'm so happy that so many are able to try the Grand this year. Some that may have never given it a shot had it not been for the construction at the Poly. I hope you all come to love it as much as we do, and hope you have a wonderful time at the Grand. :hug:

I have a weird question...... so let's say you have an 8 am breakfast ADR at Cinderella's Castle or Crystal Palace.... will you have to take the boat now to make that ADR? (are the boats going to be running that early so people can make the early ADR's?) We obviously have a long ways to go before it effects us, but I'm just more curious than anything.....:confused:

Also, if MK is EMH, I'm assuming this means that the monorail won't be running and we'd have to take the boat back to GF ?

For both situations (assuming they fall outside the hours listed), you'll need to take the boat or bus (they'll be running busses too).

Today I found out I earned a reward's trip to WDW. We will be staying at GF next month and the now the planning begins. The last time we visited I had almost a year to plan, and this time it will be about a month. I won't even get my specifics until close to departure. I am a bit overwhelmed with the way FP are done now (we are DL regulars). Oh well, those concerns are for another thread. In our four trips to DW, we have never stayed on site. So regardless of our park experiences, I am looking forward to being staying at the GF.

Today I found out I earned a reward's trip to WDW. We will be staying at GF next month and the now the planning begins. The last time we visited I had almost a year to plan, and this time it will be about a month. I won't even get my specifics until close to departure. I am a bit overwhelmed with the way FP are done now (we are DL regulars). Oh well, those concerns are for another thread. In our four trips to DW, we have never stayed on site. So regardless of our park experiences, I am looking forward to being staying at the GF.

Lucky you! Sounds like you have your work cut out for you...with so much less time to enjoy planning. :eek: At any rate, if you're like so many of us, the planning is a large part of the pleasure of a WDW trip, so that should be lots of fun too!

Good morning k&a&c'smom, Blue, grannyminnie and all my friends!

Ugh, I did read about the monorail not starting until 8:30 a.m. Of course, this is the year that we have early dining plans at MK and at CR. Not worried about the one at the Poly because we can walk. So there will be buses to take guests from the GF to MK or boats, and what about the CR? Do we have to take the boat to the MK and then walk? I'm not opposed to it, but just need to give us enough time to make our ADRs.

No matter what, it is vacation!!! :cool1:

Ferrentinos - 4 weeks from today and I'll see you in SL!

Have a Grand day my friends.

Whoa! :cool1: Lucky you is right!! :cheer2: Get crackin' on the planning! :hourglass

Very exciting!! At least you have some experience under your belt for making the majority of your "quick plans". I wouldn't fret too much about FP+. I just made a plan based on our typical touring style and must-do rides and made our FP+ options for the areas of the park we would be visiting around 10:30am - 1:30pm. We tend to leave the park around 1:30 -2:00ish timeframe and head back to the resort to rest and swim. We then head to a dinner ressie and/or another park in the evening hours when it is not so stinking HOT. The only park we do alot of rides in the evening is MK and we have never needed a FP in the past for these rides so I don't see a need to worry about them now. We find Fantasyland to be almost walk-on during the hour before the fireworks since everyone else is scoping out their site for watching the show or parade.

You are in luck getting to stay at the GF for your reward trip since all of the room refurbs and resort construction will be finished by your visit - except RPC in the main building but that will not affect your stay;)

Ugh, I did read about the monorail not starting until 8:30 a.m. Of course, this is the year that we have early dining plans at MK and at CR. Not worried about the one at the Poly because we can walk. So there will be buses to take guests from the GF to MK or boats, and what about the CR? Do we have to take the boat to the MK and then walk? I'm not opposed to it, but just need to give us enough time to make our ADRs.

No matter what, it is vacation!!! :cool1:

YAY!!!!:cool1: Only a month till vacation. Feels good.... doesn't it? My ticker is right behind you at just under a month and one week.

I am waiting to see how the transportation is handled for the folks visiting before us to make our final itinerary plans. I am hoping for dedicated buses and larger boats for rope drop at MK and EP. My biggest concern is EP because rope drop is SO CRUCIAL given that stupid tiering for FP+. We must get there for immediate access to TT or our plans for the day will be knocked for a loop. Not good combined with the heat and crowds :sad2: If early reports are long waits, we will either get up extra early to accommodate for long bus waits or we will spring for a taxi those two mornings. :crazy2:

For both situations (assuming they fall outside the hours listed), you'll need to take the boat or bus (they'll be running busses too).

thanks Andyman8. that's good to know..... I love taking the boat, I have to admit. It's just so peaceful. My husband might look at this as a good opportunity to sleep in a little bit! ;)

I agree......life is somewhat easier when things are a little boring :laughing:. How nice that you had some time with 2 of your kids....I'm sure it was nice having them home :goodvibes.

LOL - yes, it is easier. It was very nice to see the kids, now I need to get back to Chicago for a visit with my oldest.

Hi everyone! I know this was asked a few pages back, but I can't find if it was ever answered....Are the mattresses new with the refurb? Thanks!

I'm not positive, but I think others have reported the mattresses are new. Hope someone with better info can pop in.:goodvibes

Until early Sept?? :sad: just great. So basically no morning monorail for my entire 2 weeks. Ugh.
Pool closures monorail closures all during summer? I don't get it.

Aww, phooey!:headache: I don't blame you for being frustrated, that stinks.:hug:

Checked into GF this afternoon. We booked GV and gentleman that walked us to check in desk sad "I'm sorry to report you've been upgraded to a lagoon view room" !!! So awesome - love having a little magic to start the vacation! We have ground floor room facing the Poly/wedding. Pavilion/villas and beach! Love the large patio also!!

Woohoo!:banana: Love that view over the water to the Poly, very pretty. Enjoy the Grand.

I was just reading about the pool cabanas on another thread,
http://www.easywdw.com/forums/showthread.php?11897-Polynesian-Cabana-review
(this one was at the Poly, but I'm assuming they're all similar)
and the poster mentioned that tips were not allowed.
Can anyone who's used one recently confirm this?
I just assumed a tip would be expected?

Seems to me I remember us tipping several years ago, but the policy may have changed. If the "cabana boy" waits on you (brings drinks, etc), why shouldn't we be allowed to tip him? :confused3

We rented a cabana last Summer at the Polynesisan. We also ended up renting a cabana another day at the Grand because of one being destroyed during a storm at the Poly. We tried to tip both attendants at both resorts and neither would accept it. They both told us it was not allowed. I agree; I felt awkward not tipping when they took care of so much for us. They brought extra towels, kept the fridge stocked, etc. But they said they couldn't accept it and we tried very hard to give them money! :confused3

On another note...we are VERY excited to check in on Wednesday for our first stay the Grand!!! We are Poly converts due to the construction and we are so excited!! :banana: Thank you to everyone who provides information on this board, it's so helpful!!

Thank you grannyminnie & addiesmom for the info re: cabana tipping.
I'm going to offer the tip on the off chance they can take it. I would feel like a real cheapskate if I didn't at least offer; and I'll feel a whole lot better if they're able to take it.

Interesting discussion. I know I've read of others tipping, but that was quite a while back. Sounds like the policy has changed, or maybe they just started enforcing a standing policy.:scratchin

I think the idea of offering is a good one, that way you don't feel like you have stiffed them. Leave it up to the CMs to accept or not, but at least you have made the effort.:flower3:

addiesmom, you'll be there before you know it!:cloud9:

I'm so happy that so many are able to try the Grand this year. Some that may have never given it a shot had it not been for the construction at the Poly. I hope you all come to love it as much as we do, and hope you have a wonderful time at the Grand. :hug:

Ditto!:grouphug:

YAY for your first stay, AND a rewards trip at that.:cool1: I have to confess, I'm not sure what that means, exactly, but it sounds exciting.:goodvibes

Try not to stress too much, enjoy the fact you are able to do a spontaneous trip. We love that, but lately it hasn't worked out very well. I'm in the same boat with the FP+ stuff, I haven't read nearly enough about it. I guess it's a good thing I don't have a trip planned soon!:sad:

No matter what, it is vacation!!!

Only 4 weeks to go, woohoo!:yay: Sorry about the monorail closures, but sounds like you have a plan. I agree, some advance notice would be nice.

Very exciting!! At least you have some experience under your belt for making the majority of your "quick plans". I wouldn't fret too much about FP+. I just made a plan based on our typical touring style and must-do rides and made our FP+ options for the areas of the park we would be visiting around 10:30am - 1:30pm. We tend to leave the park around 1:30 -2:00ish timeframe and head back to the resort to rest and swim. We then head to a dinner ressie and/or another park in the evening hours when it is not so stinking HOT. The only park we do alot of rides in the evening is MK and we have never needed a FP in the past for these rides so I don't see a need to worry about them now. We find Fantasyland to be almost walk-on during the hour before the fireworks since everyone else is scoping out their site for watching the show or parade.

You are in luck getting to stay at the GF for your reward trip since all of the room refurbs and resort construction will be finished by your visit - except RPC in the main building but that will not affect your stay;)

YAY!!!! Only a month till vacation. Feels good.... doesn't it? My ticker is right behind you at just under a month and one week.

I am waiting to see how the transportation is handled for the folks visiting before us to make our final itinerary plans. I am hoping for dedicated buses and larger boats for rope drop at MK and EP. My biggest concern is EP because rope drop is SO CRUCIAL given that stupid tiering for FP+. We must get there for immediate access to TT or our plans for the day will be knocked for a loop. Not good combined with the heat and crowds :sad2: If early reports are long waits, we will either get up extra early to accommodate for long bus waits or we will spring for a taxi those two mornings. :crazy2:

A month and a week, yay!:banana: I enjoyed reading your plans, I hope the monorail shut down won't mess up your plans too much.:hug:

My vote would be to do the taxi for your Epcot mornings. It's only about $20 or so, and I think the peace of mind will be worth it. We do that anyway, grab a cab a couple times per trip just to save time.

thanks Andyman8. that's good to know..... I love taking the boat, I have to admit. It's just so peaceful. My husband might look at this as a good opportunity to sleep in a little bit!

LOL! Good point, a little extra sleep is a good thing. We love taking the boat, too.

I have had a discussion with my sister and she said that she doesn't think the cabana guys can receive tips any further. (she remembers a conversation with a CM on our recent trip) She thinks they might lose their jobs if they do. But, if that's the case, then why do the Mousekeepers take the money we leave them and not fear for THEIR jobs?? :confused3
For those with upcoming stays involving cabana rentals, I would maybe offer the tip, but do not press the CM to take it. If they turn you down, perhaps there is a good reason for doing so!

I have had a discussion with my sister and she said that she doesn't think the cabana guys can receive tips any further. (she remembers a conversation with a CM on our recent trip) She thinks they might lose their jobs if they do. But, if that's the case, then why do the Mousekeepers take the money we leave them and not fear for THEIR jobs?? :confused3
For those with upcoming stays involving cabana rentals, I would maybe offer the tip, but do not press the CM to take it. If they turn you down, perhaps there is a good reason for doing so!

I don't understand this either. I guess it's like the CM's who work in CL. They aren't allowed to take tips either. I also remember reading that someone asked Disney management about tipping housekeeping and they were told that it wasn't a tipped position.:confused3

I don't understand this either. I guess it's like the CM's who work in CL. They aren't allowed to take tips either. I also remember reading that someone asked Disney management about tipping housekeeping and they were told that it wasn't a tipped position.:confused3

I know....totally confusing!! :confused3 I just wouldn't want to get a CM fired!!

We've always tipped mousekeeping too ... . Now I'm really confused too? But the envelope is always gone along with the tip when left out LOL
I was reading on here or somewhere about some CL guests bringing a treat from their home state for the CM at CL. I've never done this but love to here if anyone has done this? What did you bring them? I'm guessing bit would be a speciality item like a special chocolate ect. from your state? Or homemade something?

This question is very much OT but you GF folk are all so very lovely and have answers for everything: where is the board to post/talk about DTD? I can't find one...

I want to find out more about the location of the new Marketplace Co-op :)

That's exactly what I'll do - but I won't push it. Thanks for the info.

But I'm pretty sure mousekeepers can accept the tips without fear of reprisal. It's definitely confusing, I agree...

I know....totally confusing!! :confused3 I just wouldn't want to get a CM fired!!

That's the LAST thing I would want. I will offer, but demur if told it's not allowed. Thank you for all your very helpful advice! It's been much appreciated.

We've always tipped mousekeeping too ... . Now I'm really confused too? But the envelope is always gone along with the tip when left out LOL
I was reading on here or somewhere about some CL guests bringing a treat from their home state for the CM at CL. I've never done this but love to here if anyone has done this? What did you bring them? I'm guessing bit would be a speciality item like a special chocolate ect. from your state? Or homemade something?

When we stayed CL at the Poly several years ago, we knew tips weren't allowed, so we brought specialty items from our part of the country like Buffalo Bills key chains/glasses, Buffalo Sabres paraphernalia, sponge candy, etc. We also brought homemade cookies and such - but afterward thought that last item wasn't so smart - as I wondered if anyone would even eat a homemade treat when they couldn't possibly know what kind of a kitchen it came from.:confused3 It was too late by then tho. So if they just threw away the homemade goodies, we'll never know. They graciously accepted everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter