2014 Grand Floridian Resort & Villas FAQ: Vacationing in Grand Style!

Status
Not open for further replies.
We just booked the Grand for Aug 26-29th! Woohoo!!:cool1: This is our first time staying there, we are soooo pumped! The Grand is DH dream resort! We were booked at YC from Aug 20-28, but we decided on a split stay to try the GF so now we are YC Aug 20-26 and GF Aug 26-29. Our first time staying in a deluxe resort and I can't believe we are going to stay at GF!! :goodvibes

Looks like you need a new ticker;)

Morning GF Groupies..lol...:wave2:

I just switched today from the Poly Concierge to the Grand Floridian Gardenview "no concierge available". I switched because this is my 3 year old grandsons first trip to Disney and the volcano pool at the Poly will be closed. I hope I don't regret my decision. I requested a room near the pool. Any thoughts?

What a wonderful place to spend a first trip and with Grandma! :goodvibes You are probably aware..but since you mentioned "pool" I wanted to point out that there are two pools at the GF...one being the courtyard..which is now zero entry..and much more kid friendly ..and then there is the beach pool which has a water fall (really water trickle lol..) and slide...and right near it the Alice themed children's splash pad...given that I would recommend a request of Big Pine Key...as that is the closest to the beach pool and splash area...its is also near the courtyard pool...so you will be covered....lol.. Enjoy all of the firsts with your GS...:goodvibes

Thank you so much. We have stayed at the GF before but got spoiled staying in one of those octagon shaped rooms in the main building concierge. That was Disney magic for my 50th birthday. I loved that room.

:cloud9:

It's so cold here today, I wish I could live at the Grand.

My next visit home to the villas is in Dec. I'm not wishing my summer away I'm just wishing I could live at the Grand all year long.

I look at houses to buy when I'm there but I think I don't want to worry about a house when I'm not there. Plus I love being pampered and I love the beautiful grounds at the Grand.

The Grand is so Grand!!!

Candy

Well said as usual Candy :thumbsup2 :)

We are Poly lovers too, and were booked in CL for our upcoming trip. We switched to GF for the same reason. This will be our first stay at the Grand & I'm truly looking forward to it! We were able to get into SL (no RPC available, unfortunately), & will be there shortly after the refurb is completed :-) I can't offer any advice, but from what I've heard, there is no regretting the Grand! Hope you have a magical trip!

Congrats on your first stay at the GF! :cheer2: I wouldnt fret over not being able to book RPC for your stay... SL is really perfect for a summer time stay at the GF..Its is just steps from the courtyard pool...and with the lounge being located in the lobby it's so easy to grab a beverage or snack while coming or going..and especially during some pool time! :goodvibes

Yes, she was tremendous help last visit, so was curious where she was! But you are doing an awsome job :thumbsup2

Thanks for your kind words Sue..:goodvibes Truly a group effort around here though..with everyone so willing to add their GRAND experiences...:thumbsup2 and k&a&c being our fearless leader...lol...:thumbsup2

Trisha I see from your ticker that you have one more day!!! :moped: Is your DD packed by any chance!!! :confused3 lol...

:wave2: MickeyNut k&a&c'smom MommyGina Wishes ahcupcake Lisann pas and all the rest of my fellow GF fans! Hope that its a tiggerific Thrusday! :tigger: :flower3: GF gal who is so happy to be reading great reviews about the Sci Fi SW breakfast...:darth:

Good morning, all! :wave2:

Are there any deluxe rooms (oversized, with day bed or sleeper) with two queens? I only see King Deluxe on the website.

Thanks! :)

Where is k&a&c? She was so helpful last year planning!
:wave2:

She was on vacation with her DD...no not Disney :eek: lol......and has been kind of busy since her return....but she did say that she would be back here with her fellow GF Groupies soon.... :surfweb:

This is a great place for help planning a Grand trip...lots of friendly and knowlegable posters..and k&a&c is truly a terrific keeper of the forum...:thumbsup2
:grouphug: Miss her! Everyone here is amazing, and IMO just makes the Grand seem Grander, doesn't it???

I just switched today from the Poly Concierge to the Grand Floridian Gardenview "no concierge available". I switched because this is my 3 year old grandsons first trip to Disney and the volcano pool at the Poly will be closed. I hope I don't regret my decision. I requested a room near the pool. Any thoughts?
You will not regret it (my opinion of course) The GF grounds are just so AHHHHHHH! Every room has a balcony, and 2 fab pools! Location, EWP, fireworks. Enjoy!!:cheer2:

I agree....she does an excellent job of keeping this thread up to date. She is also very knowledgeable about the GF and gives great advice and information about the resort :goodvibes.
:thumbsup2

Thank you so much. We have stayed at the GF before but got spoiled staying in one of those octagon shaped rooms in the main building concierge. That was Disney magic for my 50th birthday. I loved that room.
WOW, easy to be spoiled by the Main building. I honestly couldn't imagine staying non-CL. But that's mostly because I've spoiled my kidlets as well :rotfl2:

We just booked the Grand for Aug 26-29th! Woohoo!!:cool1: This is our first time staying there, we are soooo pumped! The Grand is DH dream resort! We were booked at YC from Aug 20-28, but we decided on a split stay to try the GF so now we are YC Aug 20-26 and GF Aug 26-29. Our first time staying in a deluxe resort and I can't believe we are going to stay at GF!! :goodvibes
Fab split!:beach:

Good Morning Grand Friends!

Long time no "see"! :blush:

Didn't know if it had been posted or not, but items from the old resort rooms are being sold at Own the Magic-
the Hidden Mickey desk, the Mickey lamp, the art work.:(:( Some of it has to be picked up but I figured I'd pass it on to everyone in case they wanted a token of what used to be. :worried:

http://www.ownthemagic.com/shop/cat...DhsN79JmbfOORrxo808huoQ9cKxi&shop_param=cid=&

Happy travels to all who are leaving soon!:wizard:
I almost spent way to much on this website...Nice to see you my friend :hug:

Thank you for sharing this information! One Mickey lamp and sweet wall art will soon be on their way to my house! It makes me feel much better about the renovation and loss of all the details that made the rooms so special to know I will enjoy the details at home instead. :goodvibes:goodvibes
SAWEEET!!
Although..MickeyNut and pas both make a WL GF split sound intriguing!!
BEST SPLIT EVA! ;) Although I am still not allowed to do a split....:guilty:

I do love WL CL, but AKL CL is also on my list as I have read nothing but great things about it and I can't wait to try that one
AKL CL was cool, but the lounge was FAR far away...at least the walk was nice and they had scones!

Ferrentinos - 7 weeks from today, both our families will be arriving at the GF in SL! I'm looking forward to it.

Hope all my friends have good day.
:dance3:

I contemplated getting the suitcases out soon, and we have 58 days lol.
Why not?? I take mine out at 58 minutes...I pack-crastinate unfortunately...

Trish!!! Almost home!!

Sorry if I missed anyone, hope Grannyminnie is having a great time!

Hi all, wondering if anyone has fit 5 in a standard room and was it OK?
I'm currently booked in a standard outer building - garden view room and the description says it sleeps up to 5. We're a family of 4 (kids are 6 & 8) but I'm thinking of inviting my mother to join us. But it won't be much of a "vacation" if we're tripping over each other anytime we're in the room.

Are there any deluxe rooms (oversized, with day bed or sleeper) with two queens? I only see King Deluxe on the website.

Not sure which category that you are interested in...

In an outer building there are deluxe rooms..which most recently only slept 4..but it appears that now the extra seating area has a day bed...

As for CL..there are a few in the main building ...not sure why they are never listed on the web site??? But there are indeed a few...the ones in the main building do not have a extra seating area like the deluxes in the outer buildings... they are an oversized room...very nice though with an larger entry way ...and a wet bar.... HTH...:flower3:

That sounds like a wonderful trip! We LOVE the GF and it was also my husband who wanted to try it for the first time. enjoy it!

ETA:

we love so many things about the GF! the polynesian was always my resort of choice but GF club level service blows the Polynesian out of the water...although there are aspects of the polynesian cl i do prefer. We love taking the monorail to the MK since its the first stop after the grand floridian and then taking the boat back from the park. love that boat ride :) the grounds are so pleasant, there are so many dining option. we have no problem filling resort days. between the pools and activities, the main lobby music and shopping. we've done both sl and rpc and are returning to rpc on saturday for a longish stay. just can't wait! you're really going to experience the best of both worlds. enjoy that epcot access and the easy walks to all that great dining while at yc! I really want to do a yc or bwi stay - maybe 5 days or so and then do the same at the GF or poly when its complete. However I am one who will book a split stay and then chicken out at the last minute and end up back at the polynesian or gf :) Enjoy!

Hi abk..thanks for putting that link in! :goodvibes

Hi all, wondering if anyone has fit 5 in a standard room and was it OK?
I'm currently booked in a standard outer building - garden view room and the description says it sleeps up to 5. We're a family of 4 (kids are 6 & 8) but I'm thinking of inviting my mother to join us. But it won't be much of a "vacation" if we're tripping over each other anytime we're in the room.

The standard rooms at the GF are about 400 SF..a pretty nice size IMO...most rooms have two queen beds and a day bed..so you could sleep 5 comfortably...and the bathroom/dressing area is set us very well...with the sinks..mirror and counter space in the outer bathroom..and the comode and tub in a seperate room ....easy for more than one person to get ready at a time...

Not to mention the nice large balconies...a great bit of extra space...:thumbsup2

pas More quotables!!! Pack-crastinate!!!! lol!!!!! :goodvibes: Love it!!!

When my kids small and up to their early teens, my mom stayed with us in a standard room. We didn't trip over each other. We were not in the room much. Last year we had 3 teenagers with us (5 total) and it was fine.

Hope this helps.

Hi Blue!

Sorry that I missed this in my multi quote bonanza!! :blush: What a wonderful split...seems like the best of both worlds! Congrats!!! I am sure you will love your first GF stay.... :woohoo: Its an amazing resort!

Not sure which category that you are interested in...

In an outer building there are deluxe rooms..which most recently only slept 4..but it appears that now the extra seating area has a day bed...

As for CL..there are a few in the main building ...not sure why they are never listed on the web site??? But there are indeed a few...the ones in the main building do not have a extra seating area like the deluxes in the outer buildings... they are an oversized room...very nice though with an larger entry way ...and a wet bar.... HTH...:flower3:

Oh, I'm sorry...I meant the main building! :blush:

Yes, I can never find them on the website, and I was sure that there were some in the main building, as I've seen photos of them.

I wanted to make sure they have a day bed, and if I'm correct, I remember from the photo that they did. Maybe??:confused3

Blue, we posted at the same time!!!

:goodvibes Hi MommyG !!!

Yes, I can never find them on the website, and I was sure that there were some in the main building, as I've seen photos of them.

I wanted to make sure they have a day bed, and if I'm correct, I remember from the photo that they did. Maybe??:confused3

I have never seen them on the website either...??? But as I said there are a few deluxe queens...In the past they did not have a day bed..only a love seat that did NOT open into a bed...but....who knows now with the refurbishments what will be...the outer building deluxe rooms didn't have a day bed wither and now they do....so I am hoping that htis will be the case with the deluxe queens in RPC too....Seems silly to have all of that extra space have a room that only accomodates 4...:idea:

I don't think the reviewer in the most recent refurb confirmed that there was a daybed in the deluxe room. In the most recent room configuration deluxe outer building queen rooms only contained a sofa not a day bed. We think from the photo that there is a daybed there now but I don't believe we have received any real confirmation of this.

The deluxe queen rooms in the main building have two queens with a sofa and plenty of space for a rollaway. We have never had any trouble receiving a rollaway as we stay in this room category frequently and try to avoid anyone having to sleep with our daughter(unless you really want a black eye).

I am curious what the main building rooms will receive with the refurb.

I wanted to make sure they have a day bed, and if I'm correct, I remember from the photo that they did. Maybe??:confused3[/QUOTE

You cannot book the main building deluxe queen on the website anymore you have to call. If the agent cannot find them ask for category BO.

I don't think the reviewer in the most recent refurb confirmed that there was a daybed in the deluxe room. In the most recent room configuration deluxe outer building queen rooms only contained a sofa not a day bed. We think from the photo that there is a daybed there now but I don't believe we have received any real confirmation of this.

The deluxe queen rooms in the main building have two queens with a sofa and plenty of space for a rollaway. We have never had any trouble receiving a rollaway as we stay in this room category frequently and try to avoid anyone having to sleep with our daughter(unless you really want a black eye).

I am curious what the main building rooms will receive with the refurb.

These were my impressions, too...not any confirmation on the day bed issue. I did see a photo of a large room in the main bldg (deluxe room) with what looked to be the tail end of a rollaway. I don't have a problem with a rollaway bed, as long as there is room for one, and it appears that there would be in the deluxe rm main bldg (I wouldn't want a rollaway in any of the other size rooms).

Thanks for the info. :thumbsup2

baler 31....You cannot book the main building deluxe queen on the website anymore you have to call. If the agent cannot find them ask for category BO.

Thank you so much!::yes::

baler 31....You cannot book the main building deluxe queen on the website anymore you have to call. If the agent cannot find them ask for category BO.

Thank you so much!::yes::

There is a lot more room for the rollaway in the standard configuration not the triangle one. The triangle just does not have a good area for the rollaway because of the shape. Out favorites look out over the courtyard 4320 and 4420. There are only six of these so they are hard to book. 4 are the more rectangle shape with 2 being the triangle.

Edited because auto correct makes my messages sound crazy.

There is a lot more room for the rollaway in the standard configuration not the triangle one. The triangle just does not have a good area for the rollaway because of the shape. Out favorites look out over the courtyard 4320 and 4420. There are only six of these so they are hard to book. 4 are the more rectangle shape with 2 being the triangle.

Edited because auto correct makes my messages sound crazy.

Oh, goodness, I didn't know of a triangle vs rectangle shape. :worried:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter