• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

2014 Epcot Food and Wine Festival 9/19-11/10

How is the heat and humidity? I'm thinking of coming down for a couple of days next week but don't deal well with high humidity. Weather websites show humidity in the 76%-92% range this week and the same for early next week. Is it as bad as it sounds?

I live in South Florida, so I am used to the humidity. I think that it is pretty bad if you are not used to it. If you can wait until the end of Oct, or the beginning of Nov, the weather is usually better (less humid).

It hasn't been too bad at any time past 4 pm before that its been pretty horrid (this is coming from someone who's lived here for 32 years) I actually appreciate the late afternoon rains as it cools it off at just the right time to not create too much sticky hot. But then again the weather here changes every 5 mins and from spot to spot. On Friday it was raining pretty heavy at the America stage for the concert and basically clear at the start of Italy

Agreed. It was so hot and humid, we chose to make last minute lunch reservations at Tokyo Dining instead of standing in line at the F&W booths and eating outside. My husband, who likes hot weather and wants to move to Florida commented several times on how tired he was of having wet clothes from sweating and the humidity. On the plus side, my face looked great after being in the humidity for several days. All dewy and hydrated.

How is the heat and humidity? I'm thinking of coming down for a couple of days next week but don't deal well with high humidity. Weather websites show humidity in the 76%-92% range this week and the same for early next week. Is it as bad as it sounds?

It's been varying day by day. Yesterday it was hot and humid, today was humid but it was actually pretty cool...also rained quite a bit. I've not been bothered too much with the heat/humidity and I don't do heat very well at all. Personally I don't think it's as bad as the weather stations make it sound.

Thank you to everybody who responded to the heat/humidity question. We usually go in mid October but had to cancel this year's trip. Then it looked like DH and I could go for a few days next week. Now it turns out DH cannot go and given the weather forecast, I was feeling less enthusiastic about going on my own. We'll see...

On behalf of all of us who may not make it to F&W this year, please keep those reviews and photos coming! If we can't be there, at least we get to read about it and see all those great food and drink photos!

Anyone know if you can still get the plastic beer steins at the permanent German stand (Bier)? My old ones are getting pretty beat up and I'm looking for a few new ones.

Anyone know if you can still get the plastic beer steins at the permanent German stand (Bier)? My old ones are getting pretty beat up and I'm looking for a few new ones.

Unfortunately, the booths did away with those this year. I'm not sure if they sell anything similar at the welcome center or pavillions.

Plastic steins are not being sold for the festival, although there is a plastic wine glass available. All beer sales via Festival-specific outlets have been reduced to 6 ounce pours. To get any larger sizes you need to go to one of the year-round beer sales areas. They might still be selling them at some of those.

If you are talking about the German Souvenir stein at the Bier stand outside the right most store than YES when I was there on Saturday you could still buy those.

Also as a side note the beer/popcorn cart at the entrance to the gardens/ le celier at Canada IS selling a 12oz hard plastic BEER glass that has Food and Wine Festival on it AND it also lights up on the bottom.

If you are talking about the German Souvenir stein at the Bier stand outside the right most store than YES when I was there on Saturday you could still buy those.

Also as a side note the beer/popcorn cart at the entrance to the gardens/ le celier at Canada IS selling a 12oz hard plastic BEER glass that has Food and Wine Festival on it AND it also lights up on the bottom.

That is fantastic news :yay:

Thank you!!

Went 3 "days" in a row this weekend (Thursday, Friday and Saturday) here are my thought so far.

Canadian Filet : DUH soooooooooo good
Cheddar cheese soup: Again DUH, this year seems to have a little more pepper than last year but in a good way.
Lamb: Third DUH in a row
Pepper Bacon Hash: As the DFB has reported this is a MUST try it was so dang good but it can be filling
Chimichurri steak skewer: The steak was well done so it made it too chewy for me to put it in the DUH category
Shrimp Taco: FULL of shrimp and just the right combination of flavors
Escargot: I was worried about the change on this one but they did OK, my recommendation take a spoon and scrape out the inside as the crust was too much of a pastry consistency
Cheese Plate at Hops and Barley: I'm a cheese person so I loved these selections on this plate more than the Ireland cheese plate I've had past years
Spicy Hand Roll: Very good with a big kick of spice (might be too much for some) definitely find a place to stop and eat this as its NOT a moving and eating item
Sauerkraut pirogi with Pork Goulash: The star on this was the Goulash it was so tasty and my sauerkraut didn't seem to be drained of most of its juices which made it pretty sour

Beverages so far: Coopers Pale Ale (Australia), Belgium beer flight, Grapefruit beer (DUH), Moosehead (Canada), Beer Flight #1 at craft beer hall,Florida White Cracker Ale (farm Fresh), Kronenbourg Blanc (France), Leinenkugel’s Seasonal Shandy (Hops & Barley), and Okocim O.K. Beer (Poland)
,,,,thank you for making me ridiculously HUNGRY...and I just ate an hour ago....BTW, any of these gluten-free?

We will be in this exact situation.

When we went in 2012 they did allow us to get wristbands for my family of 3, and also one for my friend who had not arrived in the park yet. The lady told me she wasn't supposed to do that, though.

.....sooooooo, the moral of the story is:
when in doubt, play dumb? :confused3 [ :rolleyes1 ]

popcorn::

There were a few prior posts about buying wine. When we were at a Demo on Wednesday I tried to buy wine afterwards. Was informed that it had to go to the front and I could pick it up there....and it would take at least an hour. We were leaving the park and I told the CM that, but she said it didn't matter, so I didn't buy the wine. The wine guru at the demo said we could get it at most places in central Florida and for a couple of dollars cheaper so will try at my local liquor store or Publix, if not will purchase early next time we go. Just an FYI.

There were a few prior posts about buying wine. When we were at a Demo on Wednesday I tried to buy wine afterwards. Was informed that it had to go to the front and I could pick it up there....and it would take at least an hour. We were leaving the park and I told the CM that, but she said it didn't matter, so I didn't buy the wine. The wine guru at the demo said we could get it at most places in central Florida and for a couple of dollars cheaper so will try at my local liquor store or Publix, if not will purchase early next time we go. Just an FYI.

About 3 years ago they let you take it with you, my guess is they had issues with people buying wine and opening it in the park.

About 3 years ago they let you take it with you, my guess is they had issues with people buying wine and opening it in the park.
I'm guessing it's more about people buying spirits and opening those in the parks and they just made a general decision to include wine as well.

It does seem like Disney is making a small effort to reduce the excessive drinking this year at F&W..for example they don't have large beers at the F&W locations anymore. :( Although you can still get them in Germany - as well as shots as yager I'm sure.

It does seem like Disney is making a small effort to reduce the excessive drinking this year at F&W..for example they don't have large beers at the F&W locations anymore. :( Although you can still get them in Germany - as well as shots as yager I'm sure.

Yes, thankfully those of us who enjoy beer can still get good pours at all the regular beer carts, Germany, Canada, United Kingdom, Norway, etc... Also don't forget the lovely Grey Goose Vodka Slushies in France. Oh and did you know you can get a Slushie and ask for a shot of vodka on the side at the same time?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter