• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

2014 Epcot Food and Wine Festival 9/19-11/10

smokeyblue said:
I know that nobody really knows how the premium packages are going to pan out, but I have a question. If you could only do one, would you do the premium package or MNSSHP?

MNSSHP! I love it :)

I also got called today that our Late Nights Live! scheduled for October 28th was cancelled due to operational issues. Figure that means the profit margin wasn't high enough. The CM said he could move us to Thursday night since we weren't checking out till that day. I explained we had Magical Express booked and flights out that morning (apparently the billion dollars spent on Magic Band technology didn't include funding to upgrade the reservation computers). He then offered to just cancel the Late Nights part but really didn't want to wait and see what else gets cancelled later when they decide the profit margin isn't high enough so I cancelled the whole package. Told DW we would catch a cab to a nice restaurant in Orlando on Tuesday. $400 goes a long way off property.

I know that nobody really knows how the premium packages are going to pan out, but I have a question. If you could only do one, would you do the premium package or MNSSHP?

I would not spend the money on the party. I can ride the rides during regular hours. I'm not going to go trick or treating. Not really interested in the characters. For me, no, I wouldn't spend the money on the party.

You may have children who feel differently.

It's a lot of money...especially for a lot of people. I would probably buy a big bag of candy and do something else.

MNSSHP is really worth doing for the entertainment alone. The Boo To You parade is my favorite parade at Disney (the Haunted mansion dancers are fabulous) & Hallowishes is really fun too! It's not just about rides or trick or treating...pixiedust:

I am not a huge MNSSHP fan, but I would take it over this fiasco any day.
You know what you are getting. With this you get a bottle of wine, probably not a great bottle if is $20 retail you will be lucky. You get a party with unknown entertainment etc you get access to special areas that may or may not have seating and food delivery from booths you want to eat from.

And considering the cancellation of the Tuesday parties it appears my CM friend who told me they didn't really know what they were going to do with this package was right. I am glad I skipped being Disney's guinea pig on this

My refund has already posted to my credit card, so all is well. I told DH we can probably buy about 24 things from the F&WF booths with our $168, plus be back at the resort well before 1:30 AM. Win/win. :laughing:

It's very subjective because I've done MNSSHP several times and am not particularly interested in doing it again. If you've never been before it is probably a slam dunk. I seem to remember there is much more vitriol over the adding of special ticketed events on top of MNSSHP then there has been to the Food and Wine Premium Package, even with the partial cancellations of the Late Night Live events.

The Villains' Soiree is definitely a love it or hate it sort of issue. I am all about add-ons and extras, but by and large the reviews are saying it is not worth the money. It is fun, it is different, but the value for the $99 is not there. So we didn't add it. We are doing the party twice in one week, with different friends both nights.

We added the Premium Package because, hello, I am their target audience. I can't resist an add-on. And we added that before they announced the Soiree. I am still looking forward to it. I think it will be fun/interesting even without Late Night Live. If things get messed up beyond the cancellation of the Tuesday Late Nights, well, I will deal with it.

I am all about add-ons and extras, but by and large the reviews are saying it is not worth the money.

Value is subjective. Even interpretation of reviews is subjective -- I've read all the ones I could find on the Villains' Soirée and wouldn't come to this conclusion at all!

Value is subjective. Even interpretation of reviews is subjective -- I've read all the ones I could find on the Villains' Soirée and wouldn't come to this conclusion at all!

I'm with you on this. I'm waiting to see if they make any adjustments after the first few and then deciding. Same with the VIP package.

The reviews on the Soiree are like almost anything else of this kind - some say it's worth the money, some say it's not, some say it's a total ripoff. I guess it depends on what you booked it for. If it was to meet villains, you probably enjoyed it.

If you're not going the first week of the festival you will have reviews to fall back on if you are having trouble making a decision.

I'm with you on this. I'm waiting to see if they make any adjustments after the first few and then deciding. Same with the VIP package.

Same here. I only look to early reviews for facts: what desserts, how long, what characters, etc. The reviewer's personal opinion just doesn't mean anything to me -- we all value different things. :)

I was finally contacted by a CM concerning the cancelation of the Tuesday Late Night Live parties. When I said that I had been waiting for this call the CM said something to the effect of "we were hoping to reach you before you found out from somewhere else". It made me think that Disney wants to keep this as quiet as possible, in light of their other instance of taking things back (the Maleficent/Evil Queen meet and greet during MNSSHP). If that's the case, this kinda puts Disney in an unflattering light.

I hemmed and hawed over my decision, but eventually settled for a partial refund. Even without the party (which I was actually excited about), I still saw some value in the remaining components of the premium package. Here's hoping I still feel that way at the end of my trip.

I received the call last night as well. We don't have anything really planned for the week other than enjoying the treats at F&W so moving it wasn't an issue for us. I am sorry for all the people that is did interfere with though. The lady on the phone was really surprised when I didn't put up a fuss about it. SHe said I was the most agreeable person she had talked to all day. I also felt bad for her:lmao: I am sure she knows how much planning some people put into their trips :(

I too have cancelled our Live party last night - gutted is not the word. We were both so down last night as it was something we were really looking forward too. Cannot move to any other nights due to having Halloween Horror night express passes booked at that 'other park' and then MNSSHP and the VSS booked for the other Thursday we are there.

So upset - I was at the point where if they said it is an extra $30pp I would have paid it! The CM couldn't believe how calm I was though, I guess she had had a day of people screaming at her! She was falling over herself to offer me extra options etc and asked if we had MNSSP booked and could we move it - she couldn't have been more helpful!

This excerpt is from Florida Today:

"So popular have craft beers become that they now have not an area, but a building: the former Odyssey restaurant, which will offer flights of beer for the first time in festival history. Other craft and specialty beers will be found, paired with food or otherwise."

redzinner said:

"So popular have craft beers become that they now have not an area, but a building: the former Odyssey restaurant, which will offer flights of beer for the first time in festival history. Other craft and specialty beers will be found, paired with food or otherwise."

Very cool!

Redzinner, I know you already know this but unfortunately Disney's view of what constitutes craft and specialty beer is so far detached from what craft beer drinkers consider craft beer...too many pedestrian offerings aka "crafty beers" that are there solely because they provide the best margins to Disney. There may be many choices at F&W but I find pretty much nothing of interest...my go-to remains Unibroue at the Canada popcorn cart, at least this seems to be sticking around these days.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter