• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

2014 Epcot Food and Wine Festival 9/19-11/10

Didn't know that! We've been DVC forever... :)

The difference that has changed in the past few years is this:
Previously when you hit $1500 they automatically billed your card, your room charge limit was reset, and it was completely seamless. You never knew it had happened.

THEN 2 years ago we were at The Plaza and the room charge wouldn't work. We sprinted to Guest Relations, completely unglued that something had gone seriously wrong. Nope. Now they cut off your charging until they NOTIFY you that you have hit $1500 and make sure you understand it is being rolled to your credit card on file. :roll eyes: Apparently people were somehow unclear on this, and they were throwing a fit when they got the final room folio. Seriously?

Does anyone know if the Via Napoli Beer Linch on Sept. 23 is sold out???

I would really love to go to this. Thanks

The difference that has changed in the past few years is this:
Previously when you hit $1500 they automatically billed your card, your room charge limit was reset, and it was completely seamless. You never knew it had happened.

THEN 2 years ago we were at The Plaza and the room charge wouldn't work. We sprinted to Guest Relations, completely unglued that something had gone seriously wrong. Nope. Now they cut off your charging until they NOTIFY you that you have hit $1500 and make sure you understand it is being rolled to your credit card on file. :roll eyes: Apparently people were somehow unclear on this, and they were throwing a fit when they got the final room folio. Seriously?

Is there a way to check the room charge balance with MDE (or any other online method)?

What is everyones thought on the premium package. We can't decide if it's worth the money???

I booked it. I think the swag they give in the in-room gift makes it worthwhile. I have no idea what the wine costs (since we have no clue about the type or quality of wine that will be included) but assuming a retail cost of $20 for the magic band I figured it out as about $50 for the wine, the glass, the chocolates and the use of the "VIP areas." But I'm only one person and I will have access to their "VIP areas" for Tuesday-Monday apparently.

Does anyone know if the Via Napoli Beer Linch on Sept. 23 is sold out???

I believe DFB kept track of sold out events last year but are not doing so this year. You may have to call to find out.

I've seen people with folding type chairs/stools they've obviously brought with them in line for Eat to the Beat concerts.

Never seen folding chairs in the line. I've seen those walkers with seats, scooters, wheelchairs and the cane thing that folds out to a seat. But not lounge chairs or folding chairs. It's pretty clear on WDW's site that folding chairs are not permitted in the parks.

On the subject of magic bands vs. pre-loaded gift cards for purchasing food and beverages at the kiosks, every time you charge something using your MB, you have to enter your PIN, correct? Sounds like it actually might be more convenient in that respect (and possibly more reliable) to use the gift card on the coil wristband.

Even with being required to enter the PIN I find the magic band much easier than the coil wristband gift cards. The difference is that you must pull the gift card off your wrist, hand it to the CM to scan, then put it back on your wrist. This is not as easy as entering the PIN. Although I do think the keypads for the PIN entry are way too small.

Is there a way to check the room charge balance with MDE (or any other online method)?

No, your room charge balance is a resort function. The maximum room charge limit is determined by your level of resort, $500 for Value resorts, $1,000 for Moderates and $1,500 for Deluxes.

You can stop by the front desk daily and have them charge your credit card or gift cards if you are worried about charging more than your limit. That isn't such a bad thing to check your balance a couple of times during your stay.

:earsboy: Bill

Even with being required to enter the PIN I find the magic band much easier than the coil wristband gift cards. The difference is that you must pull the gift card off your wrist, hand it to the CM to scan, then put it back on your wrist. This is not as easy as entering the PIN. Although I do think the keypads for the PIN entry are way too small.
I agree, the magic band was much easier to use than the wristband card for the reasons mentioned.

I also agree about those keypads with their tiny keys! I am not technically challenged nor do I have large fingers but I had problems several times keying in my PIN on those poorly designed keypads. However, even with that issue, I would still opt to use a magic band rather than a wristband card.

I agree, the magic band was much easier to use than the wristband card for the reasons mentioned.

I also agree about those keypads with their tiny keys! I am not technically challenged nor do I have large fingers but I had problems several times keying in my PIN on those poorly designed keypads. However, even with that issue, I would still opt to use a magic band rather than a wristband card.

I've been debating this very issue so I'm glad to know this!! Thanks!!

We are making our first visit to F&W & would like to know about how busy the last two days (a Sunday and Monday this year) should be. We are going with our three kids and are interested in trying some food at the booths (don't care about the drinks). Our plan was to go from about 5-9pm Sunday and most of Monday. I know weekends are typically crowded and nights are especially so. Also, is there any risk specific items will run out by this point?

We are considering - if crowds on Sunday would be crazy - skipping it for Sunday and just doing Monday, when we could be at WS by 11am, so crowds would not be as bad as Sunday night. I know there is the Wine and Dine half marathon that weekend also, which surely makes crowds worse. Thanks for the help in advance!

If you're going to go on the weekend, (sunday is better than saturday), I suggest hitting WS RIGHT AT 11:00. The first hour of opening isn't nearly as bad as later in the day. I actually suggest this for ANY day of F&W but especially weekends.

Beers and Ears has put out some news (not officially confirmed) that they have a source who is indicating that ALL beer sold at the festival booths will be 6 ounce pours. The booths will have no options for a 12 oz pour or the 22 oz with the plastic stein. You can get 6 oz pours or you can purchase a flight, and that's it.

They say it looks like this will apply only to the booths and not to the regular outdoor taps around WS.

Beers and Ears has put out some news (not officially confirmed) that they have a source who is indicating that ALL beer sold at the festival booths will be 6 ounce pours. The booths will have no options for a 12 oz pour or the 22 oz with the plastic stein. You can get 6 oz pours or you can purchase a flight, and that's it.

They say it looks like this will apply only to the booths and not to the regular outdoor taps around WS.

Well, they have already backpedaled from their original "news" that NO beer in Epcot would be over 6 oz during the festival which was what their souce said earlier LOL!

Not sure I believe Disney is willing to give up the revenue from those plastic steins so... I will believe this if the Disney Food Blog posts it.

That would be surprising unless they go with all draft beers this year. In years past, the beers that were poured from bottles were only sold in full-size cups.

As long as I can still get my full size Unibroue outside the Canada pavilion I'm golden.

They've got to have bottled beer. they can't just pour half the bottle. Maybe, if it's true, it's just beer on tap. But then if it was intended to limit consumption for behavioral reasons it won't work.

Of course the New York City "bottle law" already proved that idea was ridiculous.

The only thing that makes any sense at all is if they are using this to keep from running out of some draft beers before the end of the festival (they always run out of some, and the festival is a week longer this year.) However, they could have just ordered enough beer to make up for this if they know which ones are going to be popular.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter