2014 DL Avengers Half Marathon Weekend 11/14-11/16!!!

kim3339

DIS Veteran
Avengers Super Heros Half Marathon Weekend
November 14-16, 2014
Race Expo November 14 from 12-7 & November 15 from 10-4 DL Hotel
5k ~ November 15 @ 5:30
Kids Races ~ November 15 9am
½ Marathon ~ November 16 @ 5:30am

½ Marathon ~ SOLD OUT!!
Avengers Super Heroes 5K ~ SOLD OUT!!
Kids Races ~ SOLD OUT!!

Get Travel Link for Hotels and Park Tix

DIS Runners

kirstie101 ~ ½
Annaml & Dad ~ 5k
StarGirl11 ~ ½
princesskrus, DH & DBrother ~ ½
JadeDarkstar ~ 5k
Jpeka65844 ~ ½
dadofnicholas ~½
tiki23 & DD ~ 5k and ½
pxefig ~ ½
Mickeymom629 & DD ~ ½
StephNJer ~ ½
tenlemom ~ ½
Corpsebride ~ ½
PrincessMira, DH & DS ~ 5k & ½
ImDMous ~ 5k
ImDMous DH ~ ½
Bay Area Mom ~ 5k & ½
ludari ~ 5k & ½
kim3339 ~ 5k & ½
Peytonthe1st ~ ½, DD ~ Kids Races
kindakrazy2 ~ 5k & ½
jaitken925 ~ ½
happysummer ~ ½
Ladyslug ~ ½
Krandor ~ 5k & ½
funnybunny921 and DH ~ ½
cmusschoot ~ ½

Lol I knew you would start a thread over here Kim!
I'm in!
Do we have any details on price yet?

My son is going to loose his mind. He is in love with marvel. We were going this time anyway, picked it because I figured low crowds. Guess not anymore. Can anyone who has been during other past marathon weekends tell me if its usual for the parks to be busy leading up/ after the weekend. Or will the crowds mainly just be friday to monday?

I was so hoping that the announcement would be for the Disneyland park in Paris as they don't have any runDisney events.

It's great to see an event that is not quite so "girly". My husband and son ran with me last weekend at WDW but they were a bit overwhelmed by all the tutus!

Can someone explain to me, or point me in the direction to what is a half marathon? I have never really paid attention when I see a post about them because it is always something about Tink. My family doesn't care about Tink. However you sad Avengers in my house and DH and DS will never stop talking about them.

Can someone explain to me, or point me in the direction to what is a half marathon? I have never really paid attention when I see a post about them because it is always something about Tink. My family doesn't care about Tink. However you sad Avengers in my house and DH and DS will never stop talking about them.

A Half Marathon is 13.1 miles. There will also be a 5K which is 3.1 miles. And they have kids races for the little ones.

A Half Marathon is 13.1 miles. There will also be a 5K which is 3.1 miles. And they have kids races for the little ones.

So what.... you go to DL and have a race of some sort? Is this for a compition or something. I'm confused.

So what.... you go to DL and have a race of some sort? Is this for a compition or something. I'm confused.

Oh sorry I should have explained more. Yes you are on the right track. On the Saturday, they will hold the 5K inside Disneyland. It will most likely start at 5:30 or 6:00 am I think. Those who are registered get to go and run/walk the 5K in the parks. They have characters out and you can have so much fun taking pictures and being in the parks before they open. Then on Sunday they'll hold the half marathon. It will probably start at 5:00 am or so. And again the people that are registered will run both in DL and DCA and also the streets of Anaheim. For some its a competition but I know for myself its just about running and having lots of fun! You get a medal for completing the races that you do and also a T-shirt.

Oh sorry I should have explained more. Yes you are on the right track. On the Saturday, they will hold the 5K inside Disneyland. It will most likely start at 5:30 or 6:00 am I think. Those who are registered get to go and run/walk the 5K in the parks. They have characters out and you can have so much fun taking pictures and being in the parks before they open. Then on Sunday they'll hold the half marathon. It will probably start at 5:00 am or so. And again the people that are registered will run both in DL and DCA and also the streets of Anaheim. For some its a competition but I know for myself its just about running and having lots of fun! You get a medal for completing the races that you do and also a T-shirt.

Thats interesting. No way would I get up so early to run on my vacation.... I wont even do that at home :rotfl:.

I think it is great they are doing a race that isn't so girly..........but kinda bummed they are picking a time that usually has low crowds. I guess it won't anymore....DL is successfully making no "slow" times to visit the parks. I'm already curious what the medal will look like.

I'll also add that the races are expensive (more than 2x the cost of other half marathons I've done), yet extremely popular. Several of the more recent DLR races sold out in a matter of hours. They are great fun though!

I doubt the timing will work, but I was thinking how much fun it would be to go down a few days earlier to do this!

Lol I knew you would start a thread over here Kim!
I'm in!
Do we have any details on price yet?

I know right? :goodvibes I!m just excited b/c it's this year; I thought it'd be next year. I did Princess last week, W&D in Nov and Marathon weekend in Jan, and w/ not being able to do DDD this year, it felt really weird having more trips to WDW than DL planned since I didn't think I'd be down there again until next Tink :rotfl2:

For prices, I'm guessing $65-70 for the 5k and $160-175 for the 1/2? And fingers crossed a different course.

My son is going to loose his mind. He is in love with marvel. We were going this time anyway, picked it because I figured low crowds. Guess not anymore. Can anyone who has been during other past marathon weekends tell me if its usual for the parks to be busy leading up/ after the weekend. Or will the crowds mainly just be friday to monday?

Usually Fri-Mon is about right. People might come in Thursday night for the expo on Fri. The 5k has b/w 4-5,000 and the 1/2s are b/w 13-15,000. The upside is that this race isn't on a 3 day weekend like the DL 1/2 and Tink are/have been, but w/ the X-mas stuff out, not sure what the weekend will look like. You'll notice crowds but not crazy like Thanksgiving or X-mas. Another plus is that the DL races have a more local crowd and w/ it not being a holiday on Mon, you'll see people leaving Sun after the races more than the other 2 races. Sat late afternoon/night will be lighter than the daytime, b/c runners will be back at their rooms. The one place where you will feel the weekend is Fri and Sat night for dinner at places that serve pasta like Naples, b/c the runners are carbing up. But if you make ADRs you should be fine. Also, the roads will be a little weird Sun morning.

WOw this really sounds amazing.. I never even knew they did this! Geez.. where have I been living in the clouds?? :cloud9::cloud9:

Anyways, I'd love to participate in these though maybe start out with just the 5k's since I've done those before.. but it is expected to run the races? I'm a very beginner runner and due to cancer treatment that just ended even that was put on hold for a while so have been pretty much out of the game and just starting from scratch again. My main concern is if I wanted to particpate in the "5k race" would I look goofy :goofy: walking it rather than running?

Thanks everyone!!

I know right? :goodvibes I!m just excited b/c it's this year; I thought it'd be next year. I did Princess last week, W&D in Nov and Marathon weekend in Jan, and w/ not being able to do DDD this year, it felt really weird having more trips to WDW than DL planned since I didn't think I'd be down there again until next Tink :rotfl2:

For prices, I'm guessing $65-70 for the 5k and $160-175 for the 1/2? And fingers crossed a different course.

I just copied this from the RunDisney site:

Entry Fees and Deadlines*
Avengers Super Heroes Half Marathon

$195 by April 29, 2014
$210 between April 30 and June 24, 2014
$225 on or after June 25, 2014

Avengers Super Heroes 5K

$70 by August 20, 2014
$80 on or after August 21, 2014

runDisney Kids Races

$20 by August 20, 2014
$25 on or after August 21, 2014

WOw this really sounds amazing.. I never even knew they did this! Geez.. where have I been living in the clouds?? :cloud9::cloud9:

Anyways, I'd love to participate in these though maybe start out with just the 5k's since I've done those before.. but it is expected to run the races? I'm a very beginner runner and due to cancer treatment that just ended even that was put on hold for a while so have been pretty much out of the game and just starting from scratch again. My main concern is if I wanted to particpate in the "5k race" would I look goofy :goofy: walking it rather than running?

Thanks everyone!!

The 5k is more of a run/walk event, though they do state that there is a minimum pace of 16min/mile. My DW power walks 5 and 10k races at a pace of between 13 and 14 mins/mile if that helps.

Usually Fri-Mon is about right. People might come in Thursday night for the expo on Fri. The 5k has b/w 4-5,000 and the 1/2s are b/w 13-15,000. The upside is that this race isn't on a 3 day weekend like the DL 1/2 and Tink are/have been, but w/ the X-mas stuff out, not sure what the weekend will look like.

The Christmas decorations will already be up in mid-November? I have never been for the holidays so just wanted to double-check this.

The 5k is more of a run/walk event, though they do state that there is a minimum pace of 16min/mile. My DW power walks 5 and 10k races at a pace of between 13 and 14 mins/mile if that helps.

This helps immensely!! Thank you so much!!

Thanks everyone!!

They are so much fun! Disney is such a non-competitive race environment. And like mentioned above, it's a run/walk w/ no timing chip; there'll be a clock, but you aren't timed. They say a 16 minute pace, but that starts from the last person and as long as you aren't just hanging out in the parks, you will be fine. I walk the 5k and use it to take pics w/ the characters. It's a big family thing so there are a lot of people who walk it. The past 2 years at Tink, I've finished around 50 min clock time and walking out 10-15 min later, a lot of people were still running around mile 2. You should do it!:goodvibes

I just copied this from the RunDisney site:

Thanks! I'll update the post.

The Christmas decorations will already be up in mid-November? I have never been for the holidays so just wanted to double-check this.

Yes they will be. :santa:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter