2014 Disneyland 1/2 Marathon Weekend ** Check-In ** Updated 7/29 with Corral Info

I just signed up for the half marathon...:scared1: I have not been in a gym, or worked out on a regular basis since I was pregnant with my first child. She is now 3, with a 19 month old sister! I have never run more than a few miles at a time, and that was MANY birthdays ago! I needed something to motivate me to get back in shape as I try to fit in workouts as a stay at home mom with two young kids. 13.1 miles...that should do it! I turn 39 this year, and I am a stage IV cancer survivor, so I have much to celebrate. I can't imagine a better place to sweat and celebrate life than with Mickey and his crew!

Based on everything I read, I was so concerned that I would not get in. So I started trying right at 9:00am PST. After a minute or so delay, I was able to get into the system and sign up for the Dumbo Double Dare. Going to skip the 5K this time - had ran all three distances at Tinker Bell.

It was interested to read runDisney tweets. They acknowledged that the system was acting up. They finally posted the direct link to Active where you get redirected to anyway. Good to remember for next time.

For those who didn't get in, hopefully you can get one via the charity groups or travel providers!

So I started my program officially on Monday. I went to DLR for half the day for my BBF's birthday. I made sure I walked the distance I set for the day. My youngest DD had volleyball practice at the beach yesterday. I arrived 30 minutes before the pick up time and took a 20 minute walk on the beach. The sunset was beautiful. I think I going to do that more often!

Not a bad start to my program I think!

I've signed up for the 5k. I'm not a runner and I've never raced before. I'm hoping the idea of doing a 5k in August will keep me motivated until then! :yay:

The very same reasons I signed up for the 5K. I happened to be at DLR on the Saturday of the Tinkerbell Half weekend. Most had just finished the 10k. They all looked so happy, tired but happy. It felt like they were a community of runners in their happy place. It was so neat. And they were at Disneyland. It was then I decided the DLR 5K would help me start my walking program and keep me sticking to it. That and the fear of getting swept up because I can't keep the 16 minute mile pace! :scared1:

So I'm with you!

I just signed up for the half marathon...:scared1: I have not been in a gym, or worked out on a regular basis since I was pregnant with my first child. She is now 3, with a 19 month old sister! I have never run more than a few miles at a time, and that was MANY birthdays ago! I needed something to motivate me to get back in shape as I try to fit in workouts as a stay at home mom with two young kids. 13.1 miles...that should do it! I turn 39 this year, and I am a stage IV cancer survivor, so I have much to celebrate. I can't imagine a better place to sweat and celebrate life than with Mickey and his crew!

God bless you for winning you battle on cancer. Big hugs! I certainly agree with you about celebrating at Disneyland. Yep no better place. I think you the stuff to accomplished the Half.

I can't wait til August, but there are many miles ahead of me

Stovall's here, too - booked as soon as it opened way back last October-ish ;-) Can't wait to do my first "official" DDD - I did both races last year, but had to do them separately since it was a last minute decision.

We were thinking of visiting Disneyland in November but when I saw the 1/2 marathon was happening at the end of August I called my wife and we booked the 5k. She hasn't been in a race before. Unfortunately the 10k was sold out by the time I was signing up. It should be a good time doing the 5k. Now to book the plane, hotel, etc.

We are WDW vets and this is our first trip to Disneyland since 2007.

We're staying at Desert Inn & Suites - there are 4 of us, so we're staying in a family parlour suite. We booked back in about October too. We're staying Thursday, Friday and Saturday nights.

However, now that we've all signed up for the 5k, we're going to have to add the Wednesday night to the beginning of our stay. Just waiting until our flights are booked in before making any changes to our itinerary.

Now to start watching airfares. Is it better to fly into LAX or John Wayne?

I'm sure someone can jump in with some info and advice or you. I don't fly so I have no experience with either one.

We were thinking of visiting Disneyland in November but when I saw the 1/2 marathon was happening at the end of August I called my wife and we booked the 5k. She hasn't been in a race before. Unfortunately the 10k was sold out by the time I was signing up. It should be a good time doing the 5k. Now to book the plane, hotel, etc.

We are WDW vets and this is our first trip to Disneyland since 2007.

Sorry you couldn't get into the 10K, but enjoy the 5K. They pack a lot of fun in those 3.1 miles.

Stovall's here, too - booked as soon as it opened way back last October-ish ;-) Can't wait to do my first "official" DDD - I did both races last year, but had to do them separately since it was a last minute decision.

You were already a Dumbo finisher in spirit. Glad you were able to officially get in this year. I definitely preferred the feeling of getting that extra medal last year. When I ran the 10K medals instead of three.

My DH and I are doing the DDD! Now the question is where to stay? I booked Best Western Stovalls. Where is everyone else staying?

Yay for the half! I'm local, but decided to stay at the DLH for the one night before the half instead of trekking from home. The walk after the half is done is what I like to consider. But anywhere close by should be fine. I never had a problem staying on Harbor for race day before. It doesn't involve sitting back in a car and trying to stand back up again and then walking up a flight of stairs, lol.

So I started my program officially on Monday. I went to DLR for half the day for my BBF's birthday. I made sure I walked the distance I set for the day. My youngest DD had volleyball practice at the beach yesterday. I arrived 30 minutes before the pick up time and took a 20 minute walk on the beach. The sunset was beautiful. I think I going to do that more often!

Not a bad start to my program I think!

Great start!

Based on everything I read, I was so concerned that I would not get in. So I started trying right at 9:00am PST. After a minute or so delay, I was able to get into the system and sign up for the Dumbo Double Dare. Going to skip the 5K this time - had ran all three distances at Tinker Bell.

It was interested to read runDisney tweets. They acknowledged that the system was acting up. They finally posted the direct link to Active where you get redirected to anyway. Good to remember for next time.

For those who didn't get in, hopefully you can get one via the charity groups or travel providers!

Great reminder about the charity groups for those who couldn't get in! And congrats on getting in for DDDD.

There's no better time than the present and like you said you have so much to celebrate!

I've signed up for the 5k. I'm not a runner and I've never raced before. I'm hoping the idea of doing a 5k in August will keep me motivated until then! :yay:

Everyone always has to get started somehow. I hadn't run since high school when I signed up for my first 5K, had never run more than a mile at once at that point. And then I had never run more than 3 miles when I signed up for my first half marathon. Sometimes you have to give yourself something to work towards to get the motivation started. You can do it!

I'm hoping to start updating the first couple of posts with everyone who was able to sign up over the weekend. :)

Definitely avoid LAX if at all possible! Sadly, it's not an option for me, but if I could fly into John Wayne, I would gladly pay extra to avoid the chaos that is LAX.

We consider LAX to be our local airport. We live 4 hours away and drive to LAX to avoid connecting flights whenever possible.

With that background, I would favor a nonstop flight to LAX (farther from DL) over a connecting flight to SNA/JohnWayne/Orange County(closer). Of course, my final decisions would depend on cost, schedule and how much flexibility I have in my schedule. -- Suzanne

With that background, I would favor a nonstop flight to LAX (farther from DL) over a connecting flight to SNA/JohnWayne/Orange County(closer). Of course, my final decisions would depend on cost, schedule and how much flexibility I have in my schedule. -- Suzanne

I'd even take a connecting flight to avoid LAX lol! But I only have experience with the international terminal there. Maybe the domestic one isn't as bad :confused3

Yikes, I just booked my hotel and it was $40 a night more than I just paid for Tink weekend. I realize it's labor day weekend vs off season but is that normal? I paid $120 a night in Dec and it's $160 a night in August, with taxes it came to $400 vs $300. I wanted to stay in one of the Disney hotels but their prices that weekend are astronomical.

I wanted to secure a room at a hotel I'm familiar with, and that I know is an easy walk to the start line, but I also paid an extra $10 a night to get a refundable reservation just in case I decide to stay elsewhere.

I'll have my car and can park free with my AP so I can't decide if walking distance is worth the extra cost or if I should stay a few miles away and save $60 a night.

I just booked the Doubletree on Orangewood and Harbor. This will be our 3rd time staying there during a race weekend. We've always been really happy with it!:thumbsup2

Yikes, I just booked my hotel and it was $40 a night more than I just paid for Tink weekend. I realize it's labor day weekend vs off season but is that normal? I paid $120 a night in Dec and it's $160 a night in August, with taxes it came to $400 vs $300. I wanted to stay in one of the Disney hotels but their prices that weekend are astronomical. I wanted to secure a room at a hotel I'm familiar with, and that I know is an easy walk to the start line, but I also paid an extra $10 a night to get a refundable reservation just in case I decide to stay elsewhere. I'll have my car and can park free with my AP so I can't decide if walking distance is worth the extra cost or if I should stay a few miles away and save $60 a night.

That's a $120 savings. I wonder how traffic is getting there and also how convenient the parking garage is to the start? If it's not horrible saving the money might be nice.

Greetings...

Does anybody know if they have a standby list for cancellations on the 5K?

Registration just opened a couple of days ago and it's already sold out! My family was looking forward to running in this event.

Thanks!

Definitely avoid LAX if at all possible! Sadly, it's not an option for me, but if I could fly into John Wayne, I would gladly pay extra to avoid the chaos that is LAX.

I concur with this. LAX is a mess. Long Beach is another good option if you can get into there.

I concur. LAX is a hassle. Long Beach is another good option if you can find a flight in there

Greetings...

Does anybody know if they have a standby list for cancellations on the 5K?

Registration just opened a couple of days ago and it's already sold out! My family was looking forward to running in this event.

Thanks!

You can try some of the travel agents like Jim Stone or GetTravel, though it's looking like they might be sold out too. There's also the charity route, but I don't know if they do the 5ks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter