(2014-2020) Disney's GRAND FLORIDIAN RESORT & SPA + VILLAS Information & Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just saw teams arriving 7/7. You appear to know NBA is that true? Maybe my poly cl 7/16-19 could get moved to gf .

Disney info “soon” is killing me!

That’s what they were saying on ESPN and Twitter. The NBA and the Players Association agreed to a very strict bubble for players and staff. Strict as in mandatory 14 day quarantine and fines if they get caught outside of it. They will probably use the convention space and the closest buildings to it since the lobby will be available to the villa guests for Gasparillas etc and they want to minimize mingling.

I don’t think they’ll move you to GF tbh. DVC is quite limited there yes? They will probably try to keep you at Poly in one of the studios. Worst case maybe BCV since so many people are canceling due to no SAB.

who is in for fall 2021!! Can't wait to see what will be planned for the 50th!! I know trishadono and MickeyNut are in the starting phase of planning too...should be lots of fun!

I am so excited for the 50th!! Looks like a lot of Disers will be there....it will be a great time :goodvibes.

Hi!! Me and my gf are booked for the 50th but just that weekend, at the Contemporary. We’ve never stayed there before and are looking forward to it!! We also hope to surprise my teen cousin as a treat to cheer her up because she missed prom and graduation this year.

We're there for just the weekend as well. It's over a year away and I'm probably more excited for that weekend than our upcoming Dec trip...lol. I hope things work out for taking your cousin along :).

I have cancelled trips...3 now for me. I have a fall trip planned but so far am unsure that even it will take place. All this uncertainty, not being able to make reservations ourselves, having to book park entrance...it's a lot to process.

Me too.....cancelled/rescheduled 4 times. We are booked for Dec, but it's hard to be excited without knowing what things will be like at that time 🙁 .

I just saw teams arriving 7/7. You appear to know NBA is that true? Maybe my poly cl 7/16-19 could get moved to gf .

I saw something that showed Grand Destino, GF & YC as the team resorts.

I saw something that showed Grand Destino, GF & YC as the team resorts.

Funny enough we joked on the NBA thread a while back about teams being housed according to how good they are but it looks like that's actually what's happening. High seeded teams will be at Gran Destino, second tier seeds at GF and the lowest at YC. It's led to a lot of fun on Twitter between NBA fans who don't know Disney and those that do. YC is becoming something of a meme as a result. I also saw a report that the Contemporary's convention space will be used as well.

GF's flagship status seems to not matter as compared to a brand new facility.

Hello fellow GF fans! It's been quite some time...but I wanted to pop in and say :wave2:...
Hope that everyone is doing well..and staying safe ...what a time in our country and our world...

I am hoping to be back to Disney planning soon...and that you all will too...

Sadly we cancelled our spring and summer trips..our summer trip would have been back to the GF..which I was excited about...last summer we chose the Poly..which is truly delightful especially for a summer visit...lots of other DIS friends were there too (lookin at you Maxie and Dispro..and we also got to meet lovely TJA and her family too! )..which made it even more fun...but planning on heading back to the GF felt like going home again...

We're hoping for a fall trip...or early winter at the latest..
Wonder what Disney planning will be like going forward?? We are all so used to making ADRs and FPs so far in advance...maybe these new times will feel more like the "old" times...who knows...

So I usually end up typing a novel..lol..and seems today is no different....:o..forgive me! I look forward to being able to visit here more often..and sharing the excitement of getting back to our happy place..and hearing about all of your plans too...
Hoping you are all having a terrific Tuesday! :earsgirl:

PS..who is in for fall 2021!! Can't wait to see what will be planned for the 50th!! I know trishadono and MickeyNut are in the starting phase of planning too...should be lots of fun!

Hey Girl!! How are you?! Good, I hope!! We’ll be there next November!!

How long is this NBA season? We have a split stay in September with our final 4 nights at VGF. I have several concerns such as being moved, being locked out of some of the amenities, etc.

Hi blueskies :wave2:

Our May trip to the Grand and YC was canceled. I have RPC booked for our anniversary in October but it is not looking good that it will happen, I'm not interested in a DVC room even if it is safe to travel. :(
We're in for next year too, have RPC booked for three nights then planning on moving to the YC but don't have that booked yet.

How long is this NBA season? We have a split stay in September with our final 4 nights at VGF. I have several concerns such as being moved, being locked out of some of the amenities, etc.
On GMA this morning they said the season wouldn't end until October 13th. Not happy about that at all, we are scheduled to arrive on the 14th. We will just have to wait and see how it all shakes out. I know we aren't the most patient bunch when it comes to our Disney planning. :rotfl2:

That’s what they were saying on ESPN and Twitter. The NBA and the Players Association agreed to a very strict bubble for players and staff. Strict as in mandatory 14 day quarantine and fines if they get caught outside of it. They will probably use the convention space and the closest buildings to it since the lobby will be available to the villa guests for Gasparillas etc and they want to minimize mingling.

I don’t think they’ll move you to GF tbh. DVC is quite limited there yes? They will probably try to keep you at Poly in one of the studios. Worst case maybe BCV since so many people are canceling due to no SAB.
Are they putting NBA in VGF or the resort side? I am reading it as resort because YC doesnt have a dvc . SO if GF and YC those are the resorts not dvc.

Does that make sense?

My best guess is the NBA put in Sago and they get their meals in the conference area.

DD has done at 4 of the Disney Institute classes. All 4 provided meals at breakfast and lunch in the conference center. So it would be easy to keep the players separated from guests. (GF, BWI and CSR plus one at a college).

Lets see how it shakes out but fun to guess. Not much else to do while we wait lol.

Are they putting NBA in VGF or the resort side? I am reading it as resort because YC doesnt have a dvc . SO if GF and YC those are the resorts not dvc.

Does that make sense?
My best guess is the NBA put in Sago and they get their meals in the conference area.

DD has done at 4 of the Disney Institute classes. All 4 provided meals at breakfast and lunch in the conference center. So it would be easy to keep the players separated from guests.

I'm guessing the resort side since only DVC is open for guests as of now. Season shouldn't go past October since the regular season was fairly close to ending before play suspended, they want to get into the playoffs ASAP to minimize the impact to next season. I would also expect resorts to open up as the season goes on and teams are eliminated. GF should probably open up faster given the quality of the teams staying there (my poor Nets lol).

DD has done at 4 of the Disney Institute classes. All 4 provided meals at breakfast and lunch in the conference center. So it would be easy to keep the players separated from guests. (GF, BWI and CSR plus one at a college).

Lets see how it shakes out but fun to guess. Not much else to do while we wait lol.
They all wouldn't fit in any one lodge. It is players and support staff, and according to an article I read from DFB they can each book up to 17 rooms for friends and family. I agree with kylenne that they would be on the resort side. They can't close down DVC.

Good afternoon friends...princess: and thanks for the warm welcome back! :goodvibes

Hi!! Me and my gf are booked for the 50th but just that weekend, at the Contemporary. We’ve never stayed there before and are looking forward to it!! We also hope to surprise my teen cousin as a treat to cheer her up because she missed prom and graduation this year.

Whenever Disney reopens reservations I’m gonna try to get down there for this Labor Day also, hopefully at GF or Poly.

We booked the same ..looking forward to getting to say Hi :wave2: in the lounge!! I cannot wait to hear what happenings are planned for the actual anniversary day! Although..I am guessing it will be a year long celebration..as Disney generally does...

Hey Blue!! Long time no "see"! :wave: Like you, I have cancelled trips...3 now for me. I have a fall trip planned but so far am unsure that even it will take place. All this uncertainty, not being able to make reservations ourselves, having to book park entrance...it's a lot to process. With all that, seems like wearing a mask is a minor thing.
Hope you all are well too!
I'm not one of those planning on being there for the 50th. Much as I would like to be a "part of history", I'm not going to as of right now. I just feel like the crowds would be too much and finding a room on the monorail by the time we can book will be very difficult.

grannyminnie :goodvibes Hello there my friend! Uggh 3 trips...sorry to hear that...I hope that your fall trip does happen...If masks are what will make our trips safer..then I will be wearing one...Its a different world than it was before....
Glad all is well..all is well here too....

Hi :wave2: blueskies

Long time no see. You know me I'm always planning but never booking.
I would love to go in 2021 since the MK and I are celebrating the same milestone birthday
but I would need to win the lottery to to the trip I want to do.

I also see they will be putting several NBA teams that will be finishing the 2019/2020 season at the GF
(76ers,Thunder Rockets.Pacers. Mavericks. Grizzlies and Magic) the remaining teams will be divided between
the YC and Grand Destino

ah Hey there! I do remember that you and the MK share that same milestone..I sure hope that you do win the lottery and can celebrate in Grand style!! :thumbsup2
:wave: Yes ma’am I’m in for 2021!

The dis has missed you and me too!

Awww thanks!! :hug:...

Hi Blue! Good to "see" you. I would love to join all of you for next fall. Who knows, with a little Pixie Dust, maybe I can start planning too. Hope you and all my GF friends are well and staying safe.

MommyG! :goodvibes Good to "see" you too!! :wizard: Here's to pixie dust and a fall 2021 trip!! We will get to overlap one of these days! We are well and doing our best to stay safe....hope that you are too...

Hey Girl!! How are you?! Good, I hope!! We’ll be there next November!!

Hey you!! :flower:...Good to see you! We are doing fine...hope that you are too...November is such a nice time to be at the world! Are you planning a trip back this year at all...I remember that you were enjoying being a part of DVC.. Curious...How does VGF rank on your list??

Hi blueskies :wave2:

Our May trip to the Grand and YC was canceled. I have RPC booked for our anniversary in October but it is not looking good that it will happen, I'm not interested in a DVC room even if it is safe to travel. :(
We're in for next year too, have RPC booked for three nights then planning on moving to the YC but don't have that booked yet.

Hey Maxie:hug: I was so sad that we had to cancel the May trip too..what a fun itinerary that we had planned...but I think that we all kind of knew by April that it wasn't happening...Here's to next May my friend! (and next October too) I really hope that your October 2020 anniversary trip pans out....Still so much uncertainty...

MickeyNut :goodvibes .. Yay for a December trip..nothing prettier than WDW in all of its Christmas finery..is that your WL stay??..and I already know where you will be October 2021...lol.... Wonder what the world will be like this year during Christmas celebration time ..the GF lobby is always sooo festive..a little too busy past few years tho...I guess time will tell....

~So much discussion about the NBA finishing their season at WDW.....I would never have guessed that the GF would have been part of that equation..but..what do I know....lol...We typically enjoy a split stay..with part of our stay at the GF..I wonder how this will imapct fall trips?? And dining at the resort itself..GF has some of my fave restaurants ..Narcoosees and Citricos and GF Cafe too (a hidden gem IMO)....which speaking of...wonder if Citricos will be reopening..I seem to remember it was supposed to be undergoing a significant reno and change....any one have any idea....another novel..lol!!!

Again..good to "see" you all :lovestruc....so happy to be thinking Disney thoughts..

Hope that you are all having a wonderful Wednesday! :earsgirl:

Last edited:
Don’t forget my Nets, though the way they play sometimes maybe it’s better if you do. :rotfl2:

For the inevitable promo spots I just need to see a bunch of those dudes having tea, bonus points if it’s with the princesses.

LOL of course your nets. If I did follow it would be the team closest to my house which would be the 76ers

Good afternoon friends...princess: and thanks for the warm welcome back! :goodvibes

ah Hey there! I do remember that you and the MK share that same milestone..I sure hope that you do win the lottery and can celebrate in Grand style!! :thumbsup2

Hey Maxie:hug: I was so sad that we had to cancel the May trip too..what a fun itinerary that we had planned...but I think that we all kind of knew by April that it wasn't happening...Here's to next May my friend! (and next October too) I really hope that your October 2020 anniversary trip pans out....Still so much uncertainty...

MickeyNut :goodvibes .. Yay for a December trip..nothing prettier than WDW in all of its Christmas finery..is that your WL stay??..and I already know where you will be October 2021...lol.... Wonder what the world will be like this year during Christmas celebration time ..the GF lobby is always sooo festive..a little too busy past few years tho...I guess time will tell....

~So much discussion about the NBA finishing their season at WDW.....I would never have guessed that the GF would have been part of that equation..but..what do I know....lol...We typically enjoy a split stay..with part of our stay at the GF..I wonder how this will imapct fall trips?? And dining at the resort itself..GF has some of my fave restaurants ..Narcoosees and Citricos and GF Cafe too (a hidden gem IMO)....which speaking of...wonder if Citricos will be reopening..I seem to remember it was supposed to be undergoing a significant reno and change....any one have any idea....another novel..lol!!!

Again..good to "see" you all :lovestruc....so happy to be thinking Disney thoughts..

:wave2: Hey
Next time I venture out of the house I'm buying Powerball & Mega Millions tix and pray for a win so I can plan my dream trip, a 1 week CL stay at each Deluxe.

I think I read somewhere that Citricos was supposed to be closing and re-themed into a V&A bistro, but it was a goodie the one time we dined there

We booked the same ..looking forward to getting to say Hi :wave2: in the lounge!! I cannot wait to hear what happenings are planned for the actual anniversary day! Although..I am guessing it will be a year long celebration..as Disney generally does...

grannyminnie :goodvibes Hello there my friend! Uggh 3 trips...sorry to hear that...I hope that your fall trip does happen...If masks are what will make our trips safer..then I will be wearing one...Its a different world than it was before....
Glad all is well..all is well here too....

Awww thanks!! :hug:...

MommyG! :goodvibes Good to "see" you too!! :wizard: Here's to pixie dust and a fall 2021 trip!! We will get to overlap one of these days! We are well and doing our best to stay safe....hope that you are too...

Hey you!! :flower:...Good to see you! We are doing fine...hope that you are too...November is such a nice time to be at the world! Are you planning a trip back this year at all...I remember that you were enjoying being a part of DVC.. Curious...How does VGF rank on your list??

Hey!! We WILL be back this year! Right now, we are booked for August (originally supposed to be there June 21st!!!) and we’ll be in a 1 br. at VGF this fall!!! We love the Villas at Grand Floridian!! The villa rooms are just simply gorgeous! Have you ever stayed in one? When will you be back?

Yes, our December trip will be at the WL. It's been a long time since our last WL stay (2006), so I'm excited to stay there again. I love Disney any time of year, but especially during the holidays as it's such a festive time. I agree, the GF lobby is very festive....it's always nice walking through the resort. I'm waiting to see what restrictions will still be in place later in the year. Hoping we don't have to reschedule, but I've prepared myself for it just in case things are still very restrictive. I can't wait for our celebration trip next year.....I'm probably more excited for that trip than I am our December trip ☺.

LOL of course your nets. If I did follow it would be the team closest to my house which would be the 76ers

:wave2: Hey
Next time I venture out of the house I'm buying Powerball & Mega Millions tix and pray for a win so I can plan my dream trip, a 1 week CL stay at each Deluxe.

I think I read somewhere that Citricos was supposed to be closing and re-themed into a V&A bistro, but it was a goodie the one time we dined there
Hi ahcupcake :wave2:Hope you win the lottery so you can go next year. :wizard: It's been too long you need a trip. I read that about Citricos too I wonder if it will still happen. I like Citricos hope they keep it as is.

Yes, our December trip will be at the WL. It's been a long time since our last WL stay (2006), so I'm excited to stay there again. I love Disney any time of year, but especially during the holidays as it's such a festive time. I agree, the GF lobby is very festive....it's always nice walking through the resort. I'm waiting to see what restrictions will still be in place later in the year. Hoping we don't have to reschedule, but I've prepared myself for it just in case things are still very restrictive. I can't wait for our celebration trip next year.....I'm probably more excited for that trip than I am our December trip ☺.

Hi mickeynut. :wave2: The WL is so pretty during the holidays, hope your trip works out. So much is still unknown at this time.

Hi ahcupcake :wave2:Hope you win the lottery so you can go next year. :wizard: It's been too long you need a trip. I read that about Citricos too I wonder if it will still happen. I like Citricos hope they keep it as is.

@Maxie86 :wave2:
Thanks fingers crossed. You are correct, it has been a long time since I was there.
I think you & @BlueSkies were also on that same trip in 2012
Haven't read anything about the refurb since everything was shutdown

Hi mickeynut. :wave2: The WL is so pretty during the holidays, hope your trip works out. So much is still unknown at this time.

Hi maxie :wave:

Thanks! Hopefully it works out as I'm excited to get back there for another stay. I agree, the WL is very pretty during the holidays....it's my favorite that time of year! DH & I were supposed to be there at the end of Feb, which turned into middle of March then end of March then end of April...and now waiting to see what happens for December :rolleyes1 . December is a big trip with our 2 DSs along with their girlfriends, so I'm really hoping it works out. The worst part is not knowing much of anything as planning is half the fun, but unfortunately can't do much planning at the moment. I hope your trips work out as well and you get back to the World soon :wizard:.

WDWMagic says gf opens 9/21
I just read that on the Disney webpage as well. I booked deluxe room Main Building for week of August 17th. I am kind of sad. I was sure they’d open The Grand. Do you think they are going to move us to something comparable like Contemporary Main Building Or the Poly? Or would they put us in a Villa?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter