(2014-2020) Disney's GRAND FLORIDIAN RESORT & SPA + VILLAS Information & Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
We are really excited about flying in the night before, getting a good night sleep, and having a full day at Magic Kingdom. Usually we take a super early flight and spend our first day kind of dragging!!!!

Sounds like a good plan! We used to lose more than half a day flying in the morning of check-in day.

first time staying at a deluxe resort ... The Grand Floridian ... any tips on fun things to do on our first day there?! Family of 4 .. 2 little girls age 3 and 1

1996 - First Visit to WDW @ Dixie Landing
2005 - Off Property
2011 - Caribbean Beach Resort
2013 - All Star Movies Resort
2014 - Art of Animation Resort
2015 - Grand Floridian (upcoming)

Ha- you and I are on the same page. I think we want to be in Conch Key in October facing the lagoon and monorail. I noticed on touring plans that there's a section blocked by trees, and was trying to figure out what to tell my TA in regards to how to word my room request!

Conch Key, facing Lagoon/monorail, non obstructed view. :thumbsup2

Our 2nd stay at the GF is quickly approaching! Should I do online check-in? We are staying RPC. Last year we had room 4025 and loved it! I did not do online check-in. For this trip, I've requested the same room, noted on my reservation. I understand that it's only a request. I loved being met at the bus and taken to our room and for the "tour" of the building! Since we've stayed there before, we won't need the tour. If you do online check-in, does someone still meet you at the bus to welcome you?

first time staying at a deluxe resort ... The Grand Floridian ... any tips on fun things to do on our first day there?! Family of 4 .. 2 little girls age 3 and 1

1996 - First Visit to WDW @ Dixie Landing
2005 - Off Property
2011 - Caribbean Beach Resort
2013 - All Star Movies Resort
2014 - Art of Animation Resort
2015 - Grand Floridian (upcoming)

Book 1900 PF, we love dinner with Cinderella, and Lady Tremene & the step sisters are hilarious! Breakfast us fun too. If you enjoy character meals it's easy on the monorail to get to Chef Mickey's, or boat over to Poly for 'Ohana breakfast.

I think GF has a Tea for children. Every afternoon there's the usual pool party, and they have a really cute children's splash pad.
Marshmallow roast & movies on the beach at night.

Our 2nd stay at the GF is quickly approaching! Should I do online check-in? We are staying RPC. Last year we had room 4025 and loved it! I did not do online check-in. For this trip, I've requested the same room, noted on my reservation. I understand that it's only a request. I loved being met at the bus and taken to our room and for the "tour" of the building! Since we've stayed there before, we won't need the tour. If you do online check-in, does someone still meet you at the bus to welcome you?
Yes. I did online check in but still was met and taken upstairs, it just speeds up the process because you will already have credit card, etc in the system.

Booked my first Deluxe as an adult!!! So excited, it will be my mother 3 children and me. We booked lagoon view outer building any resort tips are greatly appreciated. And now I am off to read pages and pages of this thread lol

We have been back from WDW now for a week and just wanted to post a few pictures from our first stay at the VGF. These are from a lake view studio 1504. The picture quality is not the best since it was taken from my smart phone. I still haven't had a chance to transfer my pictures from my camera.

20150620_201458.jpg 20150620_201557.jpg

Last edited:
Hi!
My daughter and I will be back at the Grand August 23rd (hip-hip-hurray!). We are planning to do rope drop and be back poolside at lunch time. Does anyone know how the modified monorail schedule is affecting/will affect the resort loop, especially in the AM? I know we can take the boats, but my daughter affectionately calls them the "spider boats", need I say more?
Is there a link somewhere to find the monorail schedule at any point?

Yes. I did online check in but still was met and taken upstairs, it just speeds up the process because you will already have credit card, etc in the system.

Do they greet you if you're staying in the DVC building? This is our first time at a Deluxe Resort and our first time as DVC members. I don't know what to expect at all. I'd love a mini tour as I know POR like the back of my hand, but have no idea where anything is at GF!

Last edited:
:tiptoe:I'm back..................this Grand Groupie who has been lurking and changing for months...years....I am finally getting back to the GRAND:love: only two nights but that is okay! 8/18-8/20 the Pas clan will be at Sugarloaf!!!!!!!!!!:flower1:

:tiptoe:I'm back..................this Grand Groupie who has been lurking and changing for months...years....I am finally getting back to the GRAND:love: only two nights but that is okay! 8/18-8/20 the Pas clan will be at Sugarloaf!!!!!!!!!!:flower1:

Hi Pas, nice to see you back -- I've been lurking too - this job stuff gets in the way of my DIS life...and we know where our priorities should be!!! Enjoy Sugarloaf, and as they say "two nights is double the fun!"

Tom

Hi Pas, nice to see you back -- I've been lurking too - this job stuff gets in the way of my DIS life...and we know where our priorities should be!!! Enjoy Sugarloaf, and as they say "two nights is double the fun!"

Tom
I totally agree! I've had much more time to DIS once I finished school two weeks ago :) Shamelessly, I cannot hang out here without wanting to stay here, the Grand is my happy place. So the plan is to check out of BC and drive over to park at the GF..check in and hit MK!

Do they great you if you're staying in the DVC building? This is our first time at a Deluxe Resort and our first time as DVC members. I don't know what to expect at all. I'd love a mini tour as I know POR like the back of my hand, but have no idea where anything is at GF!
Sorry, I don't know anything about DVC check in, I've never stayed in a DVC room. But I do know DVC checks in at the GF lobby. If DVC offers on line check in you would just go to the online check in desk. Ask for a resort map or have a look at page 1 here. GF is small, you won't have any trouble finding your way around.

More chchchanges? Lol! Too bad we just miss you, Poly check in is 8/22. 2 weeks at Poly. I've decided it would be nice to do first 2 nights CL as we haven't experienced Poly CL yet. But TA says no rooms avail yet, but at 45 day there may be cancellations.
You'll love GF CL!! So far it's our fav.

More chchchanges? Lol! Too bad we just miss you, Poly check in is 8/22. 2 weeks at Poly. I've decided it would be nice to do first 2 nights CL as we haven't experienced Poly CL yet. But TA says no rooms avail yet, but at 45 day there may be cancellations.
You'll love GF CL!! So far it's our fav.
GF and WL are tied for my favorite. If GF CL is 75% what it was in 2011 I'll be happy as a clam :) I'm missing so many people by like 2 days :(

Can you tell me what you thought of the 2nd floor king deluxe rooms? I have requested s turret room for our upcoming stay, but I know there's a chance we may get a second floor room instead. It seems like most people hate them, but I would love to hear a first hand opinion!
I have stayed in both and preferred the turret because of the size, windows and walk in closet!!!

However, it was nice to see the castle from our 2nd floor room. (not a bad consolation prize, Eh?)

Good Luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter