(2014-2020) Disney's GRAND FLORIDIAN RESORT & SPA + VILLAS Information & Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Blue:

You and the rest of the country -- Brrr -- it is going to be MINUS 2 tonight and the windchill is going to make it MINUS 20! God bless my double coated black lab -- I put on 3 layers, wool socks, insulated boots, mittens and a down filled parka, plus a genuine deer skinned, rabbit lined, Elmer Fudd hat to walk him and he walks along tail wagging for 2 miles -- twice a night and once in the morning!

So a Grand question, I'm going to have a couple of "free" hours as the rest of the household doesn't come in until the day after my conference ends. Mizner's Lounge or Narcossee's Bar area for a "dinner" by myself.

Tom

The options that come up for Online Check in are:

Near Convention Center
Ground Floor
Big Pine Key Building
Sago Key Building
Lower Floor
Dormer Room
Boca Chica Building
Conch Key Building
Upper Floor

I am in Sugar Loaf, so the buildings don't matter to me, but you can choose 2 options. So Upper Floor-Dormer Room...

Hope that helps

Thanks! I think Big Pine Key GV will be my #1 choice....for now :thumbsup2

Hi! We have gone to the Grand Floridian every year since my oldest child was born 7 years ago. Every trip we stay in the Sugar Loaf CL and consider it our "home away from home." This year I'm a bit behind in planning our annual trip and just called and the only CL room they had available was a Deluxe room in the main building so I booked that and have 2 days to decide whether to keep it or scrap the whole trip. I have a few questions that I was hoping the wonderful folks on this board could help me with:

1. If I love SL, how does RPC compare? Specifically, my kids love watching cartoons from the little tables off to the side of the SL lounge? Does RPC have something similar?

2. The 4 of us -- 2 adults and two kids (ages 7 and 5) are booked in a Deluxe Room in the RPC. After I hung up with the Disney agent I looked up info about the room and now understand it has one King bed and a day bed. Will that fit all of us? The day beds at SL are very small, and I can't see them sleeping more than 1 person. Does that mean I have to have 3 of us in the King bed?

3. How do the deluxe RPC rooms compare more generally? Are they smaller than the standard SL club rooms?

4. Do RPC and SL share staff? Some of the staff at SL have been there since our kids were born and have watched them grow up. I'm sad that I might not see them on this trip!

Sorry for the novel, but I'm very torn about what to do and appreciate any advice.

Thanks!

Thanks everyone for the info!!

I just called Disney again because I received another PIN in the mail today and thought that perhaps under this new code I would be able to get a SL room. While, those all still appear to be booked, the agent I talked to said that I would be placed in a room with two queen beds in RPC, so I'm feeling much better.

It looks like I'm booked in just a "Main Building-Deluxe Room -Club Level," so I'm guessing some of those are Kings and some are Two Queens? I'm always a little nervous when I call and get conflicting information, but I'm feeling better about the trip.

Just getting caught up. RPC is amazing! Love the lounge, sitting by a window looking out, some days we saw the horse & carriage go by, wedding parties, etc. So nice in the evening listening to the music from lobby.
It does have children's area with TV. On 3rd floor past concierge desks there is a nice balcony, great for watching Electric Water Parade coming from Poly.

We had a deluxe queen room. 2 queens, and a pull out sofa, not day bed. It was a double size mattress I believe. Room was huge. You'll have plenty of room. CL staff is wonderful.

Hey Blue, are you packed yet? :rotfl::rotfl:
So, to surprise my two nieces, where is the Vera Bradley "stuff" when I get there? I'd like to surprise them both (16 and 23 and VERY into VB) with something small as a memory of the trip. In addition to photos, the wild africa trek and all the ride memories. Suggestions welcome

Tom

Thanks! I think Big Pine Key GV will be my #1 choice....for now :thumbsup2

I've been doing some room view research, and apparently, there are some GV rooms in Big Pine Key that offer a lovely view of the back of the pool house :(. I think I'm going to ask for Boca Chica, upper floor for our garden view room request. Debating on whether or not to request a room facing Narcoossee's. Apparently, those on upper floors facing Narcoossee's can get a glimpse of the lagoon.

So, to surprise my two nieces, where is the Vera Bradley "stuff" when I get there? I'd like to surprise them both (16 and 23 and VERY into VB) with something small as a memory of the trip. In addition to photos, the wild africa trek and all the ride memories. Suggestions welcome

Tom

I get mine right there at GF in Summer Lace!! DD and I will popping in soon ourselves:goodvibes

Or on Main St in MK. On right past confectionary in store with jewelry.

If you have an annual pass its nice to get the discount too.:)

I get mine right there at GF in Summer Lace!! DD and I will popping in soon ourselves:goodvibes

Or on Main St in MK. On right past confectionary in store with jewelry.

If you have an annual pass its nice to get the discount too.:)

Thanks Trish!

I am at 29 days!!!

I can't wait! I hope it is warmer than last year..We were sooo cold in the rain for 2 days

I am at 29 days!!!

I can't wait! I hope it is warmer than last year..We were sooo cold in the rain for 2 days

Last year we had 2 days in the upper 80s and then 2 days in the lower 50s....at least we had a 70 degree day too. I will try not to damage the resort before you get there!

Tom

Hi everyone. I've been AWOL for a while, but I'm back, even if only just a little.

I just saw some photos of the new refurbished rooms at Beach Club. I like the decor a lot; it actually seems to fit nicely with the beach and shell theme. I think they got the theming a little better than they did at GF. But I still love the Grand, too. :)

WooHoo!!

Just took advantage of the Passholder discount for the GF Outer Building Garden View. $395 per night for a grand total of $1778 for 4 nights in June!

I have whittled this rate down from $2540 rack rate to $1905 general public discount and now $1778 with the AP discount. I'm also a FL resident but those discounts aren't out yet. Maybe I can get it even lower!

I am so excited, I haven't stayed there since I was in my 20s and that was a LONG time ago!

Now, which building to choose? I'm hearing good things about Boca Chica.

Ladybug release? I just saw this on an old segment do Samantha Brown, is this still happening at the resort?

Blue:

You and the rest of the country -- Brrr -- it is going to be MINUS 2 tonight and the windchill is going to make it MINUS 20! God bless my double coated black lab -- I put on 3 layers, wool socks, insulated boots, mittens and a down filled parka, plus a genuine deer skinned, rabbit lined, Elmer Fudd hat to walk him and he walks along tail wagging for 2 miles -- twice a night and once in the morning!

So a Grand question, I'm going to have a couple of "free" hours as the rest of the household doesn't come in until the day after my conference ends. Mizner's Lounge or Narcossee's Bar area for a "dinner" by myself.

Tom

Tom Your description is hilarious...I can just see you and your lab trudging thru the snow....:goodvibes

We have never had a bar meal at Narcoosees.. so not sure what the offerings are...but we have at Mizners...and all I can say is YUM! They have a nice menu..veal bolognese...mussels...they have lighter offering too.. a good variety of foods and desserts..so I would highly recommend that...:thumbsup2 Its always about the food!!!

Tom

I am packed...and repacked...as usual...lol...:eek: I know that you are just gonna be tossing your stuff into your bag at the last minute...:rolleyes: lol..

As Trish said..Summer Lace has a nice selection of VB bags..so I think that you will be able to find what you are looking for there...might I add...what a very nice uncle that you are....:goodvibes

WooHoo!!

Just took advantage of the Passholder discount for the GF Outer Building Garden View. $395 per night for a grand total of $1778 for 4 nights in June!

I have whittled this rate down from $2540 rack rate to $1905 general public discount and now $1778 with the AP discount. I'm also a FL resident but those discounts aren't out yet. Maybe I can get it even lower!

I am so excited, I haven't stayed there since I was in my 20s and that was a LONG time ago!

Now, which building to choose? I'm hearing good things about Boca Chica.

:cheer2: Congratualtions!!!! Great discounts...hope that you are able to get the FL resident one too!! I will have to agree about Boca Chica being such a nice outer building for a GV location....especially the view of the courtyard pool..which also faces the main building...a great view IMO...:thumbsup2

Ladybug release? I just saw this on an old segment do Samantha Brown, is this still happening at the resort?

Unfortunately they haven't done that in quite some time....but there are always lots of poolside activites..and don't forget the evening movies on the beach and camp fire...

We are under 3 weeks!!!! :cheer2: preppy GF gal who is hoping that the time passes quickly....

I am super excited! I still can't believe we are staying at the GF! I put in a request for the Big Pine Key Building when I booked my reservation. I figured that would be a good building since its in between both pools and looks to be the closest to the monorail station lol. With 2 young kids I know they will be dragging us between both pool areas, lol. When I get to do my online check in and they asked to pick 2 things what building should I choose as my back up? We are staying in a Deluxe Garden View room.

I am super excited! I still can't believe we are staying at the GF! I put in a request for the Big Pine Key Building when I booked my reservation. I figured that would be a good building since its in between both pools and looks to be the closest to the monorail station lol. With 2 young kids I know they will be dragging us between both pool areas, lol. When I get to do my online check in and they asked to pick 2 things what building should I choose as my back up? We are staying in a Deluxe Garden View room.

You don't have to pick a second building, you can also pick upper or lower floor as well. None of the buildings are bad, and they are all a 5 minute walk from anywhere.

Tom

Tom Your description is hilarious...I can just see you and your lab trudging thru the snow....:goodvibes

We have never had a bar meal at Narcoosees.. so not sure what the offerings are...but we have at Mizners...and all I can say is YUM! They have a nice menu..veal bolognese...mussels...they have lighter offering too.. a good variety of foods and desserts..so I would highly recommend that...:thumbsup2 Its always about the food!!!

I am packed...and repacked...as usual...lol...:eek: I know that you are just gonna be tossing your stuff into your bag at the last minute...:rolleyes: lol..

As Trish said..Summer Lace has a nice selection of VB bags..so I think that you will be able to find what you are looking for there...might I add...what a very nice uncle that you are....:goodvibes

We are under 3 weeks!!!! :cheer2: preppy GF gal who is hoping that the time passes quickly....

Hi Blue: I actually sorted through the clothes that I'm not wearing right now because it is 20 and snowing here and hopefully won't be in Florida! So, I'm not packed, but I'm 5 minutes away from packed! Veal bolognese????? I'm drooling! :dance3:

And, I'm a VERY lucky uncle! :thumbsup2

Tom

Hi everyone!

This is my first time posting on here. We are leaving for Disney at the end of the month (also from frozen CT). I've been lots of times in my youth - oh so long ago - and my husband and I went on our honeymoon, but we have only ever stayed at the Contemporary so this is our first stay at the GF and our first trip to Disney with kids (5 & 7).

We are booked for 7 nights in a lagoon view room, but I'm curious if people have thoughts on particular buildings before I due the online check in (and do you have to do that very early in advance or is one week ahead enough?). I looked into CL, but a bit too late as all that is left is a suite and not quite up to springing for that right now. Ah well - next trip!

Also - I've booked a reservation for first night dinner at Narcoossee's but wondering if it will be welcoming to the kids? I know it is Disney but, well, it's my first time at the GF - so really not sure - how Disney is it? (I've only been in there for dinner at V&A)

Thanks for the advice all!

I would prefer Boca Chica to all the others.. I would think watching he sunrise over the lagoon would be lovely.. And at sunset, the light hitting the Poly and CR would be equally beautiful

Thanks!

Can you see fireworks from there as well? Also - any thoughts on the dormer rooms? People seem split. From what I've read it looks like the upside is that the balcony is private but aren't all the balconies private at the GF?

Thanks!

Can you see fireworks from there as well? Also - any thoughts on the dormer rooms? People seem split. From what I've read it looks like the upside is that the balcony is private but aren't all the balconies private at the GF?

Private meaning it is an enclosed balcony. You can't see if sitting down because it is solid.

I don't care for the dormer rooms. They are smaller and we needed the daubed for our stay so switched. My 16yo daughter however, loved it.

I don't know about the fireworks view. I have only been in Sugarloaf, so I am not sure how much can be seen at that angle

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter