(2014-2020) Disney's GRAND FLORIDIAN RESORT & SPA + VILLAS Information & Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi. I am booked in a Garden View. What building would give me the best chance of a view of the fireworks from our balcony. We have been to Disney several times, but this is our first stay in the GF. Thanks for any reviews from GF vets.

A garden view room could be almost anywhere. Even though that is the category I book more often than not, I've neverf actually viewed a garden. We've had marina view, which is technically garden view, pool view, also garden view) and back of courtyard pool service building (also garden view). One thing to remember, the Wishes and Illumations are both low altitude fireworks shows -- so you should ask for a room on a top floor. You can always watch the fireworks from the boat dock or the beach -- either is no more than a 4 minute walk from any of the buildings.

Tom

Thank you. Is there a building that you preferred over the others?

For me, Sago, but that is purely subjective. It happened to be the first time we stayed at the Grand. And, due to Hurricane Sandy, we were stranded there for an extra 5 days (yes, JetBlue cancelled our flights home -- as did most airlines). So, instead of being there for 5 days, we were there for 11!. Disney handled it perfectly. When I went down to the front desk they discretely noted that although they could keep us in the same room for the extra days, they had room at all the hotels on property from Value through Deluxe, should we want to try a new resort. That was discretely letting us know that if adding on the cost of 5 more nights at the GF was over budget, they would help us out and move us to a lower priced resort -- very discrete and considerate. We stayed where we were, and it turned out our neighbors in the room to the left were also from Connecticut and also stranded so we had a lot of fun despite the drama of a hurricane.....and coming home to 3 feet of ocean in the living room. But, we rebuilt.

Anyhow, the GF is such a small resort it is no more than a 5 minute walk from any building to anything on property. If you look at the map, Conch and Boca Chica are probably the furthest away from the main building and Sago and Big Pine Key are the closest. However, any of them are perfect and the rooms are the same in each building (by catagory anyhow).

Tom

BEST WISHES FOR A HAPPY, HEALTHY, AND PEACEFUL NEW YEAR TO ALL!:dance3:

BEST WISHES for many happy memorable vacas in '15!:cheer2:

I wanted to give my tip for anyone (mostly Non-CL, but heck..CL too):

I have started doing this the last few trips and it is awesome.

Order coffee service before you go to bed. Have it delivered at a time you want to wake up. They call you before they head up (so a wake up call) and then bring it complete with laying out linens, pot with enough coffee for 4 or so cups), cups. It is less than $25 with a tip and since I typically only have coffee for breakfast, it's perfect.
I love to sit on my balcony, listen to the music playing in the courtyards and watching the World awake..It's vacation and I love to enjoy the peace and quiet before the bustle.

I wish I had learned this trick years ago..it would have saved me from drinking that pod coffee and powered creamer!!!

I wanted to give my tip for anyone (mostly Non-CL, but heck..CL too):

I have started doing this the last few trips and it is awesome.

Order coffee service before you go to bed. Have it delivered at a time you want to wake up. They call you before they head up (so a wake up call) and then bring it complete with laying out linens, pot with enough coffee for 4 or so cups), cups. It is less than $25 with a tip and since I typically only have coffee for breakfast, it's perfect.
I love to sit on my balcony, listen to the music playing in the courtyards and watching the World awake..It's vacation and I love to enjoy the peace and quiet before the bustle.

I wish I had learned this trick years ago..it would have saved me from drinking that pod coffee and powered creamer!!!

That's a great tip. Since I tend to wake up before sunrise, and I'm the only one that does that, I usually quiety go downstairs and get myself two large coffees at Gasparilla's and return to our room, pull out my tablet and read the morning papers while enjoying my coffee out on the balcony. Once my princess arises, we go out for breakfast, we usually do a full breakfast and a granola bar or similar for lunch, and off to the parks. But, your suggestion sounds like a much more pleasant way to start the morning!

Tom

That's a great tip. Since I tend to wake up before sunrise, and I'm the only one that does that, I usually quiety go downstairs and get myself two large coffees at Gasparilla's and return to our room, pull out my tablet and read the morning papers while enjoying my coffee out on the balcony. Once my princess arises, we go out for breakfast, we usually do a full breakfast and a granola bar or similar for lunch, and off to the parks. But, your suggestion sounds like a much more pleasant way to start the morning!

Tom
It really is.

We ordered coffee and tea at the YC in October (my daughter is a tea drinker) and the server had an entire story about how tea was served by the British in India..it was really cool.

I think the last time, I ordered some toast too..but that was just to my needing something to munch

Ok, so our trip isn't until October but I'm already mentally preparing for online check in room requests. I've taken a look at the map on pg. 1 & we have visited GF on every trip. We have a standard room, garden view booked. I know there's obviously floor options, etc...are there going to be several building options for that type of room? I don't care about being close to a pool. I tend to request corner rooms.

Anyone have a favorite garden view room/building to request? TIA :)

Ok, so our trip isn't until October but I'm already mentally preparing for online check in room requests. I've taken a look at the map on pg. 1 & we have visited GF on every trip. We have a standard room, garden view booked. I know there's obviously floor options, etc...are there going to be several building options for that type of room? I don't care about being close to a pool. I tend to request corner rooms.

Anyone have a favorite garden view room/building to request? TIA :)

The options that come up for Online Check in are:

Near Convention Center
Ground Floor
Big Pine Key Building
Sago Key Building
Lower Floor
Dormer Room
Boca Chica Building
Conch Key Building
Upper Floor

I am in Sugar Loaf, so the buildings don't matter to me, but you can choose 2 options. So Upper Floor-Dormer Room...

Hope that helps

Happy new year all! We I am feeling some pressure to book our end of Aug trip, 180 day widow is around Valentines day I think. Still not sure about what building is best for TPV?

Hi Everyone! We just got home from a wonderful holiday week at Disney and are feeling the need to plan another get-away!

It is our 20th anniversary this year and my DH and I are considering heading back to Disney in August to celebrate. (Our actual anniversary is in September but it's tough to go away once school starts for the kids).

Right now the GF is our top choice. We've never stayed there before and are just starting to figure things out. I am working my way through this thread but have to admit I'm not at the end yet. So, I'm sorry if I ask a question that's been asked a gazillion times. :)

We would probably book one of these two:
Main building - club level - theme park view; or
Main building - club level - deluxe king room

Given those two options, which would you pick for a child-free 20th anniversary trip? We love a balcony and a nice view, but a jetted tub in the room would be nice too...

Are there any less-desirable rooms within these two categories? Since it's a big anniversary we are hoping to avoid a disappointing room. We want to book the category that's a sure-thing...if you know what I mean!

Thanks! And Happy New Year!!!

:wave: Hello fellow GF fans..and a belated HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!

The options that come up for Online Check in are:

Near Convention Center
Ground Floor
Big Pine Key Building
Sago Key Building
Lower Floor
Dormer Room
Boca Chica Building
Conch Key Building
Upper Floor

Thanks for the detailed info..good to know what the options listed are..:thumbsup2

Happy new year all! We I am feeling some pressure to book our end of Aug trip, 180 day widow is around Valentines day I think. Still not sure about what building is best for TPV?

I think that Conch Key has the best TPVs...but Sago and Boca Chica and I think even Big Pine have rooms in the category..I would take a look at the map on the first page of this thread to see what area of the grounds that you would like best... The best thing is..lots of great options :goodvibes

Hi Everyone! We just got home from a wonderful holiday week at Disney and are feeling the need to plan another get-away!

It is our 20th anniversary this year and my DH and I are considering heading back to Disney in August to celebrate. (Our actual anniversary is in September but it's tough to go away once school starts for the kids).

Right now the GF is our top choice. We've never stayed there before and are just starting to figure things out. I am working my way through this thread but have to admit I'm not at the end yet. So, I'm sorry if I ask a question that's been asked a gazillion times. :)

We would probably book one of these two:
Main building - club level - theme park view; or
Main building - club level - deluxe king room

Given those two options, which would you pick for a child-free 20th anniversary trip? We love a balcony and a nice view, but a jetted tub in the room would be nice too...

Are there any less-desirable rooms within these two categories? Since it's a big anniversary we are hoping to avoid a disappointing room. We want to book the category that's a sure-thing...if you know what I mean!

Thanks! And Happy New Year!!!

Happy Anniversary!! What a nice way to celebrate..being at the GF! :goodvibes While I think that TPV rooms in the main building are very nice...for a couple I would highly recommend a deluxe king...:cloud9:

There are two types of deluxe king rooms ..one is a standard sized room with a king bed and a deep tub for soaking...and a theme park view..the only draw back is that it is on the 2nd floor which is a bit of a hike to get the lounge area..the other is an extra large room is surrounded by windows..and there are 3 that over look the courtyard ..and even a distant castle view...but...it has no balcony....So I guess you would have to chose which is more important to you..No matter which, I am sure you will have a wonderful trip...:wizard:

Hope that everyone had a wonderful weekend...:flower3: preppy GF gal who was able to get a BOG FPP on the day that we were hoping to get it~:yay:

Hi Everyone! Happy New Year!

We just rebooked our room under the spring discount rate and saved a bundle! We originally were a garden view room and I was requesting Big Pine Key upper floor. The pricing worked out for us to be a Lagoon View Room now. Any suggestions on buildings and / or room numbers for this category??

Thanks in advance!

We just rebooked our room under the spring discount rate and saved a bundle! We originally were a garden view room and I was requesting Big Pine Key upper floor. The pricing worked out for us to be a Lagoon View Room now. Any suggestions on buildings and / or room numbers for this category??

Thanks in advance!

I believe the lagoon view rooms are either in Conch (very limited number of rooms in this category and sort of facing MK (if you look around a tree), Big Pine Key and Boca Chica -- these are views ranging from Contemporary to Polynesian.

Tom

Thanks in advance!

:woohoo: Congrats on being able re book your GF trip with the spring discount...and upgrade to a LV room....:wizard: If you like the location of BPK...which is a great location btw..close to both pools and the children's splash area ..then I would just keep those requests....instead of facing the courtyard pool you will be facing the lagoon...;) ...of course...and also towards the Poly...and very pretty view...:cloud9:

Tom :dance3: Lets do the our trips are almost here happy dance!!!

We are under a month away from our trip....:dance3: The packing and re packing has begun....:rolleyes1 lol...

Hope that everyone has a magical Monday :flower3: preppy GF gal who needs to stop checking the weather predications...:upsidedow

:Tom :dance3: Lets do the our trips are almost here happy dance!!!

We are under a month away from our trip....:dance3: The packing and re packing has begun....:rolleyes1 lol...

Hope that everyone has a magical Monday :flower3: preppy GF gal who needs to stop checking the weather predications...:upsidedow

What is this packing and repacking you refer to? For guys it is easy, a pair a dressy khaki pants, a pair of casual pants, a pair of jeans, gym wear, underwear, polo shirts, a sweater, and since I live up where it is currently in the 20s for the highs, some type of warm jacket. A pair of sneakers, a pair of comforatable shoes, and my shaving kit. Plus camera -- done, maybe takes me 20 minutes tops.

Tom

And :banana::banana::banana::banana: back at you -- hopefully the weather will be 70s for the highs and 50s for the lows (just so we can see natives wearing winter coats for laughs).

Thank you to the person posting the online check in request options. So, we have a standard room, garden view booked. My main request is just to NOT be facing the back of a building or pool house ( I read this can happen in standard view). Is there a certain building I should request to have less chance of this happening??? TIA!

Thank you to the person posting the online check in request options. So, we have a standard room, garden view booked. My main request is just to NOT be facing the back of a building or pool house ( I read this can happen in standard view). Is there a certain building I should request to have less chance of this happening??? TIA!

We're in the same situation, so I'd love to know this answer, too!

Also, how do you guys feel about the dormer rooms? I've heard they're smaller but they may feel bigger? If I request an upper floor, will I end up with a dormer room or is there a way to request the 3rd floor so that we won't get a dormer?

I was the one who posted that I had, on one of my trips, a lovely view of the back of the poolhouse building -- that was when I stayed in Big Pine Key -- I didn't ask if I could change the room as I was there for a conference and I rarely spend any time in the room anyhow. There are very few "bad" rooms at the GF.

Tom

What is this packing and repacking you refer to? For guys it is easy, a pair a dressy khaki pants, a pair of casual pants, a pair of jeans, gym wear, underwear, polo shirts, a sweater, and since I live up where it is currently in the 20s for the highs, some type of warm jacket. A pair of sneakers, a pair of comforatable shoes, and my shaving kit. Plus camera -- done, maybe takes me 20 minutes tops.

Tom

And :banana::banana::banana::banana: back at you -- hopefully the weather will be 70s for the highs and 50s for the lows (just so we can see natives wearing winter coats for laughs).

Tom Your packing post literally had me LOLing...:rotfl: Sure easy for you guys....My husband has it super easy...I pack for him!!!!!!!!!!!!:faint: I know what his favorites are...and since I do the itinerary planning know what "dressier" (for WDW that is)...clothes are necessary....All he needs to do is show up...

I sure am hoping that the weather is nice....Its freezing...literally in my neck of the woods today....

There are many nice things about the GF...but one of the nicer things is that a "standard" GV room will have anything but a standard view..standerd view encompasses pool..gardens..and marina too...I think the both Boca Chica and BPK have the pool building possibilities...so the safest bet would be to request Conch Key...where you will either get a garden view or a marina view...both lovely! :thumbsup2 Sago is a possibility also..but a bit more far removed from the center of the property...still nice woods or marina views..and closer to the bus stop... as opposed to the the other outer buildings that I mentioned which are closer to the pools and the boat dock...

We're in the same situation, so I'd love to know this answer, too!

Also, how do you guys feel about the dormer rooms? I've heard they're smaller but they may feel bigger? If I request an upper floor, will I end up with a dormer room or is there a way to request the 3rd floor so that we won't get a dormer?
As for the dormer rooms...it really just depends on personal preference...the ceilings are cathedral in the most dormer rooms giving a lot of extra visual space...but the balcony is smaller and enclosed...I happen to think that dormer rooms are very nice...like the high ceilings and the cozy feel of the balcony...but as I said really just depends on what your preference is...HTH...:)

Hope that everyone is having a terrific Tuesday... :earsgirl: preppy GF gal who can't wait to get to WDW....:hyper:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter