(2014-2020) Disney's GRAND FLORIDIAN RESORT & SPA + VILLAS Information & Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am thrilled to be checking in and asking for hints, helps and suggestions from everyone here. I am staying at the Grand..do they call it that?...I'm from Disneyland and we call our Grand Californian the Grand...Oct 27-Nov 4, with my daughter and my special needs young adult son. We are doing our own "make a wish trip" for Timmy. I originally had the Bay Lake Tower booked in a studio thinking the extra "kitchen stuff" could be helpful. I need refridgeration and counter space for large amount of medications. After really lloking at the size of the room and bathroom and comfort I changed to the Grand for all but the last night. I have made many fun RSVP along with the Halloween,party on 31st. Club Villian, Cinderella at park 1800, Narcoosee, and Fantasmic dinner package. I plan to have a nurse coming for two of the days that my daughter and I want to spend at F&W. We use a wheelchair for Timmy for distances but didn't need an actually Handicap room. One of my concerns is how many buildings there are to the resort and where we might end up being. They only had a standard room in an outer building available for my dates. Could/should I request to be close to main building and monorail. Pushing wheelchair and if any bad weather it could be nice not to go too far. Any suggestions of how to ask and where to ask for? I also wanted to ask about activities around the resort for a "young teen" how is the arcade? Do you need to have a park ticket to ride the monorail? My Tim has an annual pass but the nurse will not. I'm thinking they could arcade hop between monorail resorts on my day off. I love to share the excitement, thanks in advance for the welcome.
Congrats on your trip. I like Boca Chica and Big Pine Key. They are pretty central. But GF is a small resort and no building is very far away. You can certainly request a location close to main building and monorail.
No, you don't need a park ticket to ride the monorail.

Well, we reserved a 2-bedroom outer building suite...no specific view. What we got was the Cypress Suite in Conch Key, 2nd floor! We have a waterfront view of the MK and a side view of the marina and monorail. What a beautiful room!!! We also have access to both the Sugarloaf Lounge and RPC.

Photos soon!

What do you think the chances are of making and getting a room request when you show up at the resort to check in (VGF)? Probably slim?

I am thrilled to be checking in and asking for hints, helps and suggestions from everyone here. I am staying at the Grand..do they call it that?...I'm from Disneyland and we call our Grand Californian the Grand...Oct 27-Nov 4, with my daughter and my special needs young adult son. We are doing our own "make a wish trip" for Timmy. I originally had the Bay Lake Tower booked in a studio thinking the extra "kitchen stuff" could be helpful. I need refridgeration and counter space for large amount of medications. After really lloking at the size of the room and bathroom and comfort I changed to the Grand for all but the last night. I have made many fun RSVP along with the Halloween,party on 31st. Club Villian, Cinderella at park 1800, Narcoosee, and Fantasmic dinner package. I plan to have a nurse coming for two of the days that my daughter and I want to spend at F&W. We use a wheelchair for Timmy for distances but didn't need an actually Handicap room. One of my concerns is how many buildings there are to the resort and where we might end up being. They only had a standard room in an outer building available for my dates. Could/should I request to be close to main building and monorail. Pushing wheelchair and if any bad weather it could be nice not to go too far. Any suggestions of how to ask and where to ask for? I also wanted to ask about activities around the resort for a "young teen" how is the arcade? Do you need to have a park ticket to ride the monorail? My Tim has an annual pass but the nurse will not. I'm thinking they could arcade hop between monorail resorts on my day off. I love to share the excitement, thanks in advance for the welcome.

Hi lilysgigi - Wow exciting!! I am sure your family will love any location at the Grand. I have a daughter that is visually disabled and we like Sago Key, it very close to the arcade (I have never gone into so I am not sure how it is) and gasperilla's. If there is bad weather we walk under the covering that goes along the exterior of the hotel that provides shade or a dry area, but We did always find that Big Pine Key was closer to the main building.

The Contemporary also has a great arcade that my kids love (22 & 19), I am not sure about the Poly but someone here would know. I think there is also a torch lighting ceremony at the Poly. We caught the end of it once and it seemed like something nice to see.

There are so many great informative people here that will be able to add sooooo much more then I. Have a great trip, I am sure Timmy will have a ball!!

BTW, I don't know the weather for October but the pool with the slide has zero entry if the weather is warm enough.

I am not sure of the quiet pool but like I said someone else will know much more!

Well, we reserved a 2-bedroom outer building suite...no specific view. What we got was the Cypress Suite in Conch Key, 2nd floor! We have a waterfront view of the MK and a side view of the marina and monorail. What a beautiful room!!! We also have access to both the Sugarloaf Lounge and RPC.

Photos soon!

Awesome!! This has the makings of the ultimate trip! Your room, the location, the view, and access to both CL's! Can't wait to hear about it and see pictures. But in the meantime, take it all in and enjoy every minute!

12 more days!!!!!! I can hear the sound of the doors of the grand floridian opening for my arrival!!! lol

Does anyone have an updated monorail schedule they can post????
I should have taken a pic of the schedule! I've only been back 3 weeks and can't remember which mornings it was late start. Seems to be no reason why. You'd think for what they charge at the monorail resorts the monorail would be running at an acceptable time every morning.
I would pay attention to resort guide. Every week they have the monorail times posted.

I got a lovely surprise from a friend and have a Grand Flo stay coming up soon - November 18-20! I've been to WDW just a few times and have stayed at Pop, Port Orleans French Quarter, and Wilderness Lodge - so I'm excited to add Grand Floridian to that list!

I'm traveling as part of a group, so I don't think we'll be able to make room requests or anything like that. We are also fairly easy travelers - no kids, no special needs, just two teachers looking to have a good time with Mickey!

I'm so looking forward to staying in the lovely Grand Floridian - and keeping my fingers crossed that a 1900 Park Fare breakfast reservation opens up!

I should have taken a pic of the schedule! I've only been back 3 weeks and can't remember which mornings it was late start. Seems to be no reason why. You'd think for what they charge at the monorail resorts the monorail would be running at an acceptable time every morning.
I would pay attention to resort guide. Every week they have the monorail times posted.
the magic kingdom opens 8am a couple of mornings that i am there I hope the monorail is running

Hi lilysgigi - Wow exciting!! I am sure your family will love any location at the Grand. I have a daughter that is visually disabled and we like Sago Key, it very close to the arcade (I have never gone into so I am not sure how it is) and gasperilla's. If there is bad weather we walk under the covering that goes along the exterior of the hotel that provides shade or a dry area, but We did always find that Big Pine Key was closer to the main building.

The Contemporary also has a great arcade that my kids love (22 & 19), I am not sure about the Poly but someone here would know. I think there is also a torch lighting ceremony at the Poly. We caught the end of it once and it seemed like something nice to see.

There are so many great informative people here that will be able to add sooooo much more then I. Have a great trip, I am sure Timmy will have a ball!!
Thanks so much for sharing!

Random GF question…when walking from any of the outside buildings, is there an option for a covered walkway should it be raining?

Random GF question…when walking from any of the outside buildings, is there an option for a covered walkway should it be raining?

Unfortunately not, at some point if you are not staying in the main building you will have to walk back to your room/building uncovered. When we were there it rained everyday and it seemed most people (us included) just tended to make a run for it when it came to getting to/from durning the rain storms. We did find going in the doors at the end of our building (BPK) easier when it was raining, instead of walking around to the front main enterance of the building.

Good Morning :wave2:,

Opinions and help needed....

I'm in the very beginning stages of planning our next family trip/milestone birthday for me trip :upsidedow. Definitely next August and 99% sure on GF (we've loved our last few stays). That said, I've always taken the agency exclusive deal and have always gotten some great "garden view" rooms. However, given that it is a BIG birthday for me next year, I'm leaning towards a little splurge but need some help from the GF experts.

Providing I can get a decent R/O BB deal when we're there next month, I'm torn between:

Outer bldg. Lagoon view
Outer bldg., Deluxe garden view
Outer bldg. TPV

When I look at the price for a TPV, I then start to think for a few bucks more, I could do sugar loaf BUT not sure CL will be worth it on this particular trip. While my two DD's LOVE staying CL, we have found they also love nice dinners and get bored with the lounge offerings quickly and if we're not going to be able to take advantage of evening offerings then not sure I see the value. Plus with all the changes lately, I've been struggling to see the real value in our recent CL stays.

Soooo... looking for opinions on the different views. One worth it more than the other? What type of view may I get with a lagoon view? Deluxe garden view rooms - in a particular location or scattered? Should I not even bother with upgrading room view and splurge on something else? Decisions, Decisions...

To make matters worse, I'm getting ZERO help from my girls and DH this time around as they want me to choose what I really want since it's my birthday. Well, that's all fine and dandy, however, I'm not used to truly just picking what I want and I have been known to be just a "tad" indecisive :rolleyes1.

Help...

Providing I can get a decent R/O BB deal when we're there next month, I'm torn between:

Outer bldg. Lagoon view
Outer bldg. TPV

Help...

I asked a similar question on a separate thread a few days ago. I am also torn on staying in a room that faces the pool (but high floor), a TPV or a lagoon view. But I think after some research last night, I think TPV isn't worth it cost wise to me. There does not seem to be many rooms that are worth that price, that actually have a "good" view. I have stayed at the Contemporary tower room, so I know what a great TPV is and hate to be disappointed. So now it's debate between lagoon view (high floor) or pool view Garden view (high floor). Considering requesting to be in Big Key Pine due to proximity to pools and Gasparilla's etc (I have a 8 year old and will have an infant on the trip).

Tough question!!! Hard to decide!!!

I'm in the very beginning stages of planning our next family trip/milestone birthday for me trip :upsidedow. Definitely next August and 99% sure on GF (we've loved our last few stays). That said, I've always taken the agency exclusive deal and have always gotten some great "garden view" rooms. However, given that it is a BIG birthday for me next year, I'm leaning towards a little splurge but need some help from the GF experts.

Outer bldg. Lagoon view
Outer bldg. TPV

When I look at the price for a TPV, I then start to think for a few bucks more, I could do sugar loaf BUT not sure CL will be worth it on this particular trip. While my two DD's LOVE staying CL, we have found they also love nice dinners and get bored with the lounge offerings quickly and if we're not going to be able to take advantage of evening offerings then not sure I see the value. Plus with all the changes lately, I've been struggling to see the real value in our recent CL stays.

Soooo... looking for opinions on the different views. One worth it more than the other? What type of view may I get with a lagoon view? Deluxe garden view rooms - in a particular location or scattered? Should I not even bother with upgrading room view and splurge on something else? Decisions, Decisions...

To make matters worse, I'm getting ZERO help from my girls and DH this time around as they want me to choose what I really want since it's my birthday. Well, that's all fine and dandy, however, I'm not used to truly just picking what I want and I have been known to be just a "tad" indecisive :rolleyes1.

Help...

Hey there and Happy Birthday (early)!

This is just my opinion and what my family likes to do. We also have tried and like RPC, but not enough to return. My kids were bored with the food also and found ourselves going down to Gasperilla's to get them alternative snacks and drinks. I also had a milestone birthday this early and got a beautiful TPV room facing the castle. I have the room number if you want it was in Sago Key which is our favorite building and it was amazing, but I did find ourselves going back to the room too early to watch the fireworks from the balcony. It definitely was amazing but I missed watching the fireworks from other locations, but in the morning there was nothing better then opening those blinds!!!

What we all enjoy the most is the amazing restaurants (its always about the food). My kids are 22 and 19 so of course signature restaurants and certain lounges are a must. So we tend to splurge the most in that area. We all also enjoy the cabanas and usually book them 4 days out of an 8 day stay in the morning. I think our next things we might try in the a backstage tour, my son has been waiting for his sister to be old enough since most have an age requirement.

Good luck with all your decisions, I am sure you'll have a magical trip, planning is one of my favorite things about WDW.

Hey there and Happy Birthday (early)!

This is just my opinion and what my family likes to do. We also have tried and like RPC, but not enough to return. My kids were bored with the food also and found ourselves going down to Gasperilla's to get them alternative snacks and drinks. I also had a milestone birthday this early and got a beautiful TPV room facing the castle. I have the room number if you want it was in Sago Key which is our favorite building and it was amazing, but I did find ourselves going back to the room too early to watch the fireworks from the balcony. It definitely was amazing but I missed watching the fireworks from other locations, but in the morning there was nothing better then opening those blinds!!!

What we all enjoy the most is the amazing restaurants (its always about the food). My kids are 22 and 19 so of course signature restaurants and certain lounges are a must. So we tend to splurge the most in that area. We all also enjoy the cabanas and usually book them 4 days out of an 8 day stay in the morning. I think our next things we might try in the a backstage tour, my son has been waiting for his sister to be old enough since most have an age requirement.

Good luck with all your decisions, I am sure you'll have a magical trip, planning is one of my favorite things about WDW.

Thank you for sharing...funny how our kids are almost the same age - my girls are 22 & 18.

Like you, we too enjoy eating out and actually plan all of our sit-down ADR's for dinners as that's when we all like to take a break and catch up on the day. We also choose at least one Signature meal although on this past trip we really splurged and did two - Yachtsman and Narcoossee's :). IDK... I keep going back and forth. Part of me says, stay in the regular garden view and splurge elsewhere and the other part of me says have it all :rotfl:.

Outer bldg. Lagoon view
Outer bldg. TPV

Help...

Happy 29th - it is indeed a special birthday as that is when time stands still and you remain that age forever. We never stay CL on our WDW trips because we love the TS/Signature dining. One's favorite is Shula's Steakhouse, another's is Artist Point, mine is Narcossee's, another's is California Grill......by the time we get done making all of our ADSRs, there's very little benefit, to us, to stay CL.

Enjoy the special vacation!

Tom

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter