• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

(2014-2020) Disney's GRAND FLORIDIAN RESORT & SPA + VILLAS Information & Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
It has been GRAND!! And here are a couple of pics for fun!!

I added a couple for folks who asked about the cabana a few pages back.

View attachment 135722 View attachment 135723View attachment 135722 View attachment 135723 View attachment 135724 View attachment 135725 View attachment 135726

Awesome pics -- thanks! Have you stayed in one of those cabanas? We loved them at the Poly so I'll probably reserve one at GF...but they look so close together!! I see there are some flower pots in between and maybe it's not actually that close of a feeling while in them. I'm used to the Poly cabana on the beach that was pretty isolated from people yet close enough to the pool.

Question: is Gasparilla Grill always so... ummmm...bad? We've eaten there 3 times now, and with just one harried counter person, the lines are so slow. The food has been the worst of any resort counter service I've ever been to (POP, WL, CR & BC), and its been pretty messy. If I just went off of the CMs I met in there I'd be very sad. Even DH, who is the least judgy guy, said "Is it just me, or are the CMs here way more surly and unfriendly than in the past?"

On the other hand, despite a frustrating room snafu, though, the front desk CMs were the best we've encountered. So nice!
I have to say at cr/poly and gf the quick service is randomly bad. Many times good but once in a while i think, REALLY????

I do enjoy grabbing my meal/snack and either eating it outside or in the room. Makes for a nice quiet break :)

Awesome pics -- thanks! Have you stayed in one of those cabanas? We loved them at the Poly so I'll probably reserve one at GF...but they look so close together!! I see there are some flower pots in between and maybe it's not actually that close of a feeling while in them. I'm used to the Poly cabana on the beach that was pretty isolated from people yet close enough to the pool.
I visited her while she was in it. I thought the view was very nice but the neighbors were pretty close if you were sitting outside. I think if in the shade of the cabana would be ok.

They are close. Once you were laying down on the chaise, the flowers did do a good job blocking the neighbor but not completely by any means. When we were there we only had one neighbor to our left and the other cabanas to the right were empty. The location was perfect though...a few steps from the pool and bathroom.

And other than the 4 cabanas there are not any other chairs on that side of the pool.

Let me know if you have any questions!

Question: is Gasparilla Grill always so... ummmm...bad? We've eaten there 3 times now, and with just one harried counter person, the lines are so slow. The food has been the worst of any resort counter service I've ever been to (POP, WL, CR & BC), and its been pretty messy. If I just went off of the CMs I met in there I'd be very sad. Even DH, who is the least judgy guy, said "Is it just me, or are the CMs here way more surly and unfriendly than in the past?"

On the other hand, despite a frustrating room snafu, though, the front desk CMs were the best we've encountered. So nice!
Hmmm, I've never had a problem at Gaspys. My daughter loves the Gasperillas burger, we like the flat breads, and the create your own salad. I've also tried the daily specials which were good too.
But we go during a slow time of year, August. Maybe that makes a difference? CMs have been nice. It is slow though. But I like that they deliver the food to the table. Some resort CS give you a buzzer and you have to get it.

Good afternoon fellow GF fans...:wave2: Tried to catch up...but I am not sure that I did....lol..lots of coming and goings around here...:dance3:

Had a big looooong multi quoted post...that I some how poofed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :faint:...:faint:...:faint: ...and there is no way that I can start over...lol...

So to summarize....

Lisann
Sorry that you had to cancel your trip...sounds like yoou are going to be able to put a super nice one together to make up for it though...:goodvibes

loveshak How did I miss your send off....:blush:...I see that you have started your trip off on the right foot...:wizard:..and I am hoping that every moment is aboslutely GRAND...its been fun sharing the journey with you! :grouphug: So glad that you got to meet up with Trish ...:thumbsup2

Trish Fab pics...thank you for sharing :goodvibes...and for the wonderful text pics too ::yes::...Its the next best thing to being there...As for your DD...she has exceptional taste...So glad that you got to meet up with loveshak ..and a GF meet at that...How very nice!

Sue Sorry that you will only be able to get one trip in next year....Hope that the one trip will be simply grand!! :goodvibes

pas Glad that you got some resolution for your trip...Still wish that it had been all that you ..and we had hoped that it would be for you....

Dispro Congrats on being able to get that BOG ADR...Great dining boards here....and that is a great thread for getting them... :woohoo: We are under three weeks!!! See ya on the Epcot side...lol...

MommyG Congrats to your DD...Hoping that there will be some great offers coming out that will enable you to put a GF trip on the calendar for next year!

~ To all those with upcoming trips..safe travels and enjoy all of the magic that the GF has to offer..the beautiful grounds...and most especially the lobby in all of its holiday finery...ts a special place to stay particularly at this time of year.... Our fave outer building is Boca Chica...no matter what room category..GV LV...such pretty views..and a great location too...

and for all of you Poly fans...that are trying the GF out for the first time.... I think that you are in for a pleasant surprise... while the Poly does have such a nice relaxed vibe to it...the GF has a very relaxed elegance about it... different than visiting...or dining there...and I have a feeling that you will want to return... these are thoughts of a tried and true GF gal...so I might be a teeny bit partial...::yes::..lol...

Hope that everyone is having a terrific Tuesday....princess: GF gal who is happily packing..and soon to be re packing :blush:...for our upcoming trip....:moped:...lol...

They are close. Once you were laying down on the chaise, the flowers did do a good job blocking the neighbor but not completely by any means. When we were there we only had one neighbor to our left and the other cabanas to the right were empty. The location was perfect though...a few steps from the pool and bathroom.

And other than the 4 cabanas there are not any other chairs on that side of the pool.

Let me know if you have any questions!

We had Cabana 1 during our last trip. It is the first (or last) in the row and is hidden behind the bridge to the water slide and several pot plants. It means that you can enjoy sitting outside your cabana with few prying eyes. The only visitor we saw was a curious squirrel! :-)
. cabana1.jpg
cabana2.jpg
cabana3.jpg

Hi all...been forever since I've been on here much to read! Life gets in the way sometimes....
I see that you are back from a trip, Trish, and that there are pictures...I need to look them up!
And Blue, hey!! :wave2: I have an unplanned visit to Orlando coming up really soon, but sadly, when I check your countdown, you will not be there yet. DH (or rather NON-DH) and I are going to Orlando on the first, stay in Downtown Disney, and I hope to go to a MVMCP one night!
To all who are there now, or who have just returned, I hope your trips were GRAND!!

Hi! We're staying at the GF for two weeks in early January.

We're two adults, an almost 4-year-old and an 11-month-old.

I think we'd prefer a king-sized bed, with our 4yo on a sleeper sofa and our 11mo in a crib. We are booked under garden view. Are they typically able to meet a request for a king-sized bed, or is it unlikely? Is there anywhere that lists details about which rooms have king-sized beds? Do any of the GV corner rooms have kings?

We booked a garden view for our honeymoon and I'm pretty sure we requested a king-sized bed then. But we were upgraded to a CL room in Sugar Loaf when we checked in at the time. We got a little spoiled by that CL upgrade. :)

Hi! We're staying at the GF for two weeks in early January.

We're two adults, an almost 4-year-old and an 11-month-old.

I think we'd prefer a king-sized bed, with our 4yo on a sleeper sofa and our 11mo in a crib. We are booked under garden view. Are they typically able to meet a request for a king-sized bed, or is it unlikely?

It all depends on occupancy and how many others requested a king. It's impossible to say how likely it is.

Is there anywhere that lists details about which rooms have king-sized beds? Do any of the GV corner rooms have kings?

Not that I know of. There is a room finder tool on the Touring Plans website but I have found it to be extremely inaccurate. If you really want a king, to up your chances I would make that your only request.

It all depends on occupancy and how many others requested a king. It's impossible to say how likely it is.

Not that I know of. There is a room finder tool on the Touring Plans website but I have found it to be extremely inaccurate. If you really want a king, to up your chances I would make that your only request.

Thanks for the quick reply.

Hi all...been forever since I've been on here much to read! Life gets in the way sometimes....
I see that you are back from a trip, Trish, and that there are pictures...I need to look them up!
And Blue, hey!! :wave2: I have an unplanned visit to Orlando coming up really soon, but sadly, when I check your countdown, you will not be there yet. DH (or rather NON-DH) and I are going to Orlando on the first, stay in Downtown Disney, and I hope to go to a MVMCP one night!
To all who are there now, or who have just returned, I hope your trips were GRAND!!
:wave:Hi grannyminnie! Hope you have a wonderful Orlando trip. We stayed in the DTD Doubletree once pre package with a great Mousesavers discount. I really liked it. Please post pics & updates of your trip.
I won't be back to WDW till August, I think I'm in withdrawals!

We were there 10/24-11/2 and felt the same about Gasparilla Grill. We felt like they really leaned out the menu- not very many choices and what they had was not great. I get that the QS restaurants aren't the focus at the deluxe resorts, but when we were there in December 2014, we felt it was better. We used to think Roaring Foarks at WL was the worst, but GG is now our least favorite. We ended up eating at the restaurant by the pool several times instead.

Keep us posted on your trip! Are you going to Disney Springs? I haven't been there yet.

We were there 10/24-11/2 and felt the same about Gasparilla Grill. We felt like they really leaned out the menu- not very many choices and what they had was not great. I get that the QS restaurants aren't the focus at the deluxe resorts, but when we were there in December 2014, we felt it was better. We used to think Roaring Foarks at WL was the worst, but GG is now our least favorite. We ended up eating at the restaurant by the pool several times instead.

We found the Gasparilla Grill to be the same last month for a last minute breakfast. Food was ice cold. I've eaten there before and found it to be rather pleasant for Quick Service: not so much anymore it seems...

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter