• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

2013 Mardi Gras parade pictures and reviews

Last night's Mardi Gras parade and concert sure were chilly affairs but still fun. Collected my first coin of the year from the parade (watched over by the entrance to The Mummy) and watched the concert from far in the back. No stilt walkers last night due to windy conditions.
Glad you had fun. I didn't go since I'm trying to fight off a cold and being outside in the cold wind didn't seem to make sense. I probably won't go back until Matchbox 20.

Thanks for posting the pics and reviews for the parade.

I was in town last year but did not go during a parade/concert night.

After seeing your pics I plan on going this year .. I will be in town 3/6-3/18 and will check it out for sure. :banana:

Thanks again ... great thread!

Went again last night for Boys Like Girls and I'm going to have to put them in my TOP 5 Mardi Gras Concert performances.

They gave a high energy show, engaged with the audience and played some really good music. I was hoping for a few more of songs from their newest album but I think the kids in the audience really wanted to hear the older stuff.

I also have to give Universal credit for really improving their crowd control. Maybe the shows just haven't been as crowded as some I've attended in the past but it really seems as they've gotten a better handle on moving guests to the exits after the parade and during the concerts.

I also have to give Universal credit for really improving their crowd control. Maybe the shows just haven't been as crowded as some I've attended in the past but it really seems as they've gotten a better handle on moving guests to the exits after the parade and during the concerts.
Great to hear! That was one of my main concerns this year.

Glad you had fun. I didn't go since I'm trying to fight off a cold and being outside in the cold wind didn't seem to make sense. I probably won't go back until Matchbox 20.

We missed it too. Too cold for us. We were getting leg cramps during the day from the cold so we just couldn't make it all night too. Missed the food too! They were never open the times we went by that area. Must open in the evenings or very late in the afternoon. Oh well. Maybe better weather next trip.

Another cold and windy night that I won't be there. I'm hoping these stupid cold fronts will stop coming in for the weekend and hit during the week instead. :mad:

Hopefully in a couple of weeks, this cold weather will have moved on for the year.
:cool2:

TOO COLD!? :eek:
ComeOn Orlando! We need Pictures!
I imagine it did keep the crowds "down" a little bit. ;)

Crazy woman that I am, I braved the cold last night to enjoy Mardi Gras with my friends. Actually got lots of beads - more than any other night so far, and we ended up collectively with 4 coins. To show you how cold it was I'll include a photo of myself in my winter gear along with a couple float images.

I will also say that once again, crowd control was very well maintained and safety seemed a priority. Not sure if the cold weather is keeping the crowds at bay or the new parade route creates a better flow but whatever it is, it seems to be working.

Now some images...

232323232%7Ffp%3B65%3Enu%3D3233%3E684%3E678%3EWSNRCG%3D35%3C6735%3B%3A4338nu0mrj

Chinese New Year float

232323232%7Ffp%3B%3C9%3Enu%3D3233%3E684%3E678%3EWSNRCG%3D35%3C6735%3B%3A5338nu0mrj

Dia De Las Muertas float

232323232%7Ffp%3B%3B5%3Enu%3D3233%3E684%3E678%3EWSNRCG%3D35%3C672%3B878338nu0mrj

Frozen PammyK - note the wool coat (mid-calf length) and fleece chapeau.

Last night's Mardi Gras parade and concert sure were chilly affairs but still fun. Collected my first coin of the year from the parade (watched over by the entrance to The Mummy) and watched the concert from far in the back. No stilt walkers last night due to windy conditions.

The concert started out great, got very slow in the middle and then ended with a bang. Looking forward to tonight with Boys Like Girls but not looking forward to freezing my dupah off in the cold.

Could you see anything from way back by the Mummy?? Trying to figure out how to catch the parade and the concert! :confused3 Any advide would be appreciated....:thumbsup2

Could you see anything from way back by the Mummy?? Trying to figure out how to catch the parade and the concert! :confused3 Any advide would be appreciated....:thumbsup2
Well, we were on the sidewalk by the entrance to the Mummy attraction, not actually at the entrance itself.

At this point, if you want to even attempt to have a decent spot for both the parade and the concert, I'd probably suggest trying to get a spot on the sidewalk in front of Despicable Me as that would put you among the earliest parade watchers to get to the concert area. You'll need to stake out your parade spot really early though if you want this to work.

I'm planning on 2 more concerts this year, Pat Benetar and Pitbull, and because I expect both to be popular I'm planning to skip the parade and get to the concert area fairly early to stake out a decent spot where I can see the show and still breathe.

Thanks!! We may try the Despicable Me area. A couple of us really want to catch the parade and a couple of us want to catch the concert. Tough call. Are there big screens so you can at least see from afar?? Its been a few years since we have been to Mardi Gras. My Aunt LOVES Pitbull. Cracks me UP!!:rotfl2:

2 weeks and we will be at Hard Rock. Getting super excited!!

Thanks!! We may try the Despicable Me area. A couple of us really want to catch the parade and a couple of us want to catch the concert. Tough call. Are there big screens so you can at least see from afar?? Its been a few years since we have been to Mardi Gras. My Aunt LOVES Pitbull. Cracks me UP!!:rotfl2:

2 weeks and we will be at Hard Rock. Getting super excited!!
I would suggest standing close to Monsters Café if you want to see both. There are large video screens but from the DM area I don't know how much you're going to see. Plus there isn't a lot of room to move area in front of DM. If you stand near Monsters Café you would be directly across from the stage...in most cases...and will have a better view of the stage.

So we ended up staying at Backwater longer than expected and did not get to the concert area early. We initially tried watching over by Monsters Cafe on the Twister side but the audio was awful there so we went into the concert area and we were able to find a very open are on the Despicable Me side toward the front. Great view of the video screen and we could also see the stage itself pretty clearly.

Great show - in my top 2 shows for this Mardi Gras season.

Pitbull concert was crazy crowded as expected. Had a great time anyway!!!
Definitely crazy crowded. Unfortunately, didn't really get to enjoy it as much as I wanted to because my one friend kept making his displeasure at being there known and then I had to keep going back and forth between my friends inside the barricades and my friends who were outside. :( However, all in all, I think this was a great Mardi Gras season and I was able to enjoy most of the concerts. Looking forward to seeing who they bring in next year.

Headed to Orlando this Friday!....Sure hope the weather is good for the last Mardi GRAS parade of the year!
The Boy is super excited, plus he gets to tell the Minions all about his encounter with the DESPICABLIMP!
7D5809AA-94E7-42F5-A376-DB7A7A0F2DC8-180-00000005EFF4FEBF.jpg
[/IMG]

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter