• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

2013 Hilton Head lovers thread

Trying to plan a HH vacation. When is the best time to visit HHI? Are there enough activities at the resort for a 3 year old?

We love going during the summer. However this year will be our first spring break trip - looking forward to it!!

My kids have been going to HHI since age 2 and they have always had a blast. Beach and pool take up lots if our time with some resort activities and island happenings too.

Thank you!! Villas look great! Do you know how much of the resort still has to be done? We go in April and hoping to get a renovated room.

I was in building 13...they are working right now on 25...not sure if all buildings in between those are done? Just sure of 13 myself.

Have asked on a different thread, is there a reason to choose September over October? Are more things opened in September?

Have asked on a different thread, is there a reason to choose September over October? Are more things opened in September?

Actually, HHI is pretty much a "year-round" destination. A few restaurants close between New Years and Valentine's Day. Although I haven't been to HHI either month, I would guess that early-mid October would be best. Did you know that the HHI resort has a Facebook page? Perhaps if you asked over there, they might tell you which month is better.

Is there such a thing as a DVC "peak" time at HHI? I know at WDW that's generally the fall through Christmas. But is it the same for HHI?

Is there such a thing as a DVC "peak" time at HHI? I know at WDW that's generally the fall through Christmas. But is it the same for HHI?

Summer! June, July and August are what I would consider "peak" times at HHI. Easter and Thanksgiving are also gaining popularity. It is a small resort so it can fill up quick. Although I have never tried, I believe that it is nearly impossible to get a full week in the summer at the 7-month mark.

Summer! June, July and August are what I would consider "peak" times at HHI. Easter and Thanksgiving are also gaining popularity. It is a small resort so it can fill up quick. Although I have never tried, I believe that it is nearly impossible to get a full week in the summer at the 7-month mark.

Thanks. That's what i figured. I'm mainly worried about spring break time. We're considering trying for a March trip.

We went last March for Spring Break and had no trouble getting a reservation at the 7 month window. It was so much fun!!!

Thanks for the photos! That makes me soooo excited for our upcoming trip. I hope I get a refurbished room. I can't believe how different they look. It has a totally different feel. It is like a contemporary beach feeling versus before it felt very woodsy with all the dark colors. The white cabinets in the kitchen look great and so glad to see the sleep chair. I love it!

Thanks for the photos! That makes me soooo excited for our upcoming trip. I hope I get a refurbished room. I can't believe how different they look. It has a totally different feel. It is like a contemporary beach feeling versus before it felt very woodsy with all the dark colors. The white cabinets in the kitchen look great and so glad to see the sleep chair. I love it!

Gee, that word "contemporary" has me thinking. The resort used to talk about how it was themed as a fishing camp from the 40s. Big Band music even played from the speakers when we were there (before they decided Thanksgiving was pre-Christmas, but that's a different story). With this new rehab (I agree, it does look more contemporary), what does it mean about the theming of the resort? They were always so true to the theming, as Disney resorts usually are. And I still miss seeing Shadow's pawprints as you come in to the villa. It's too bad they couldn't have found a way to incorporate them into the new flooring. After all, the bathroom still has tile, I think. What if they'd left the front foyer tile?

Gee, that word "contemporary" has me thinking. The resort used to talk about how it was themed as a fishing camp from the 40s. Big Band music even played from the speakers when we were there (before they decided Thanksgiving was pre-Christmas, but that's a different story). With this new rehab (I agree, it does look more contemporary), what does it mean about the theming of the resort? They were always so true to the theming, as Disney resorts usually are. And I still miss seeing Shadow's pawprints as you come in to the villa. It's too bad they couldn't have found a way to incorporate them into the new flooring. After all, the bathroom still has tile, I think. What if they'd left the front foyer tile?

Are Shadow's pawprints gone? We love being greeted by his pawprints every time we came into our villa. I was excited about the rehab, but I'll be very disappointed if we have pawprintless flooring when we get there 2 weeks from tomorrow.

Are Shadow's pawprints gone? We love being greeted by his pawprints every time we came into our villa. I was excited about the rehab, but I'll be very disappointed if we have pawprintless flooring when we get there 2 weeks from tomorrow.

When I asked in November, just before the rehab began, I was told that Shadow's paw prints would be gone. However, we can always hope that after my question, they realized how much guests look forward to seeing her paw prints and changed things a little. However, I remember reading a recent post from someone who got a newly rehabbed room and were very disappointed that there were no longer Shadow's paw prints. Darn!

Sitting here on the couch of a 2 bdrm villa at HHI ! Got a remodeled villa and its FANTASTIC. Words cant really describe the beauty of this resort. Just WOW ! We just feel so at home here. Originally we choose HHI for our home resort because it was within driving distance (albeit a little longish drive) , and we were looking for an alternative to our Cape Cod vacation spot. That and so we can use the same points for our WDW trips.
Its perfect and we are so happy we decided on HHI as our "home" .
This has solidified our decision to look to buy more HH points vs WDW resort points. LOVE IT !

We will be here for a few more days, so if anyone needs to know anything, just ask.
I do have a bunch of pics to post, but that will have to wait until we get home next week. The remodeled room is perfect . They have done a great job, and it really has that feel of "our little beach house down the shore" . We got our requests of a 2nd floor marsh view villa, and we are right above the boardwalk in building 15. Looking over the deck, at high tide, It feels like the water is almost right below, and I could jump right in . Awesome !
BTW, for those wondering, the sitting chair in the living room is also a twin size sleeper (have a picture to post)and the couch is a full or double.

For anyone planning a trip to HHI that has never been .............you wont be disappointed !!!

I think that this resort is where they got the slogan "Disneys best kept secret" !!! .............but ssshhhhh , don't want to resale prices to jump now !

EDIT ............
OMG - just had a Dole Whip soft serve at Signals at the beach house !
All this AND dolewhip softserve :goodvibes

Sitting here on the couch of a 2 bdrm villa at HHI ! Got a remodeled villa and its FANTASTIC. Words cant really describe the beauty of this resort. Just WOW ! We just feel so at home here. Originally we choose HHI for our home resort because it was within driving distance (albeit a little longish drive) , and we were looking for an alternative to our Cape Cod vacation spot. That and so we can use the same points for our WDW trips.
Its perfect and we are so happy we decided on HHI as our "home" .
This has solidified our decision to look to buy more HH points vs WDW resort points. LOVE IT !

We will be here for a few more days, so if anyone needs to know anything, just ask.
I do have a bunch of pics to post, but that will have to wait until we get home next week. The remodeled room is perfect . They have done a great job, and it really has that feel of "our little beach house down the shore" . We got our requests of a 2nd floor marsh view villa, and we are right above the boardwalk in building 15. Looking over the deck, at high tide, It feels like the water is almost right below, and I could jump right in . Awesome !
BTW, for those wondering, the sitting chair in the living room is also a twin size sleeper (have a picture to post)and the couch is a full or double.

For anyone planning a trip to HHI that has never been .............you wont be disappointed !!!

I think that this resort is where they got the slogan "Disneys best kept secret" !!! .............but ssshhhhh , don't want to resale prices to jump now !

EDIT ............
OMG - just had a Dole Whip soft serve at Signals at the beach house !
All this AND dolewhip softserve :goodvibes

Thanks Syndrome,
Your report has me all jazzed up for our April trip. HHI is one of our home resorts but we haven't been there yet. Do you have kids with you? I'm bringing a 14 year boy, who loves to get involved in activities. Your so lucky to be avoiding yet another massive snowstrom in the Philly area.
Can't wait for pics and restaurant reviews!!

Have Fun
Susan

I love the new look, but will also miss shadow's footprints. It was funny! When I told my boys about he refurb they were not excited, but bummed. They said they loved the woodsy, lodge feeling versus a beachy feel. I guess it is different for everyone.

Susan C, when are you going? We will be there in April with teenage boys. We are hoping that we find enough activities, as last time we were there it was the full swing of summer.

Syndrome...my boys will be glad to here about the dole whip. Total yum!! Do you have a copy of the current activities schedule? Trying to decide how to fill our days. They need some activities to keep them busy.

Thanks so much! We are counting down to our trip!

I love the new look, but will also miss shadow's footprints. It was funny! When I told my boys about he refurb they were not excited, but bummed. They said they loved the woodsy, lodge feeling versus a beachy feel. I guess it is different for everyone.

Susan C, when are you going? We will be there in April with teenage boys. We are hoping that we find enough activities, as last time we were there it was the full swing of summer.

Syndrome...my boys will be glad to here about the dole whip. Total yum!! Do you have a copy of the current activities schedule? Trying to decide how to fill our days. They need some activities to keep them busy.

Thanks so much! We are counting down to our trip!

We will be there April 14-19... can't wait to get away from the snow!!!

We took a road trip last week and were in Atlanta on Sunday night. We decided instead of staying Monday night there we would drive to HHI and check it out. I was able to call Sunday and get a studio for Monday. We LOVED it! One day was not enough! We were given a refurbished room in 12. I am already planning a trip back this fall so we can spend more time there. Can't say enough nice things about it. Loved the room, pools, beach, and of course the staff!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter