2013 Hilton Head lovers thread

every day i feel more and more lucky that I was able to book at 7mo for a week beginning on july 5.

every day i feel more and more lucky that I was able to book at 7mo for a week beginning on july 5.
I feel lucky that I was just able to get mine booked!! :woohoo: We were trying to be flexible on arrival dates and it paid off. :thumbsup2

Now that I was successful, I have a theory that a Friday arrival in the summer increases chances. We originally wanted to book Sun Aug 4 through Sat Aug 10. Every day since Jan. 4th I have planned to get online at 8 am to book a 1BR. Every day prior to 8 am, the 7 month arrival day was already unavailable. I think because of the higher points for Fri and Sat nights, it increased my odds to book 5 nights beginning with Friday Aug. 9th arrival (perhaps this morning there was not as much demand). I then added Thursday Aug 8th on a cash booking (with DVC discount 1BR $333 - considering it's 31 points, I didn't think this was too bad).

I am so excited that we will be making our first trip to HHI. We will be there Aug. 8-14. I hope that DH likes it enough that he will consider an HHI add-on :rolleyes1 then it will be easier to book next time!

I feel lucky that I was just able to get mine booked!! :woohoo: We were trying to be flexible on arrival dates and it paid off.

When I was trying to book, it was the weekends which were booked up. The weekdays seemed to be free. Again, I'm just happy I got a reservation.

...can't remember the name of this raggae chef...it is spectacular food! always wait 2 hours, but worth it! name of restaurant has word "cornbread" in it

...can't remember the name of this raggae chef...it is spectacular food! always wait 2 hours, but worth it! name of restaurant has word "cornbread" in it

That's Roastfish and Cornbread. It's on the same road as the Old Oyster Factory I think. Roastfish and Cornbread has the BEST sweet potato fries!

Savannah.....how much time should we allow? Do places open at 9 or 10a in the summer?

I was thinking of the following - Juliette Low house, railroad museum, children's museum, trolley ride, Pirate place for lunch. What are the "must see" things there? My DS will be 9 and gets bored easily! Someone mentioned a baseball team?

Think we could hit the top spots by 5p and head to HH??

Any info is appreciated...thanks!

My DH says that roast fish and cornbread has the BEST fish tacos he has ever had. Their blackened seasoning is fabulous. We love it.

I own here as well and have never been there but it must be nice as all you have been saying . maybe one day i will get there to see for my self .

We leave in 50 days! It feels strange not having any ADRs, no ME tags, no Photopass+, no tickets to buy from Undercover Tourist, no touring plan... I may get used to a vacation requiring so little planning!

txsoccermom said:
Savannah.....how much time should we allow? Do places open at 9 or 10a in the summer?

I was thinking of the following - Juliette Low house, railroad museum, children's museum, trolley ride, Pirate place for lunch. What are the "must see" things there? My DS will be 9 and gets bored easily! Someone mentioned a baseball team?

Think we could hit the top spots by 5p and head to HH??

Any info is appreciated...thanks!

Allow a couple hours for the railroad museum. They have a large collection to wander through inside and out, plus they have train rides (not sure if that is daily or just weekends?) That will add 30-40 minutes to the visit and are worth it because they have an operating turntable. Ok, disclosure : I'm a railroad geek. So it takes me a while to tour RR museums. But still I think a couple hours is fair with the ride included. Until very recently my Facebook profile pic was from when I was on that train on the turntable. :)

From the visitors center, there is a free shuttle bus that takes you around Savannah via essentially the same route as the tour shuttles, but you get no narration. You can bus from visitors center to river street then take free ferries across the river and back. Great views of Savannah and the enormous container ships that go up and down the waterway. There is a free streetcar on that riverfront street, or at least there are tracks, but it didn't come out the day we visited. But if it's running you can do a good route using the free bus, free ferry, and the free streetcar to see the sights. We caught the free bus on the street in front of the VC, while the paid tour trolley buses load in the parking lot.

I was probably 9yo the last time I visited the Juliet Gordon Low house, so have nothing helpful for you there.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using DISBoards

I'm thinking of booking a late march 2014 trip for DDs spring break, I was looking at the average weather for march and it seemed alright but of course May and June look a lot better weather wise. I was wanting to ask if anyone's been to HHI near the end of march and how the weather and temp was? Or if I should just plan on doing early summer (not sure if I can get early summer with dvc 7mo)

We are going the week of March 18th. We have been several times previously, but always in August or June. HHI is probably our favorite DVC resort and we are looking forward to visiting in a different time of the year.

We are going the week of March 18th. We have been several times previously, but always in August or June. HHI is probably our favorite DVC resort and we are looking forward to visiting in a different time of the year.

Please let me know the exact dates if you want to be added to the list of guests!

We leave in 50 days! It feels strange not having any ADRs, no ME tags, no Photopass+, no tickets to buy from Undercover Tourist, no touring plan... I may get used to a vacation requiring so little planning!
We just got back from our 2013 trip to WDW, now I am ready to focus on HHI. I know there is much less planning to do but none the less I am ready to plan for our drive down and back. WE are going to make two days of travel both ways and want to make more of a journey to get to HHI then just a drive. Still looking for any recommendations on stops and activities from Pittsburgh, PA.

I have been starting to read trip reviews on other websites regarding HHI. Does anyone know if the WiFi there is truly as bad as I am reading in the reviews? DH teaches online courses and will have to still be working while we are at HHI. He needs WiFi to be able to teach his courses. Does anyone know if there are certain 2BRs that have better WiFi that we should request?

The pic is a little fuzzy, but here's the Activities Schedule posted yesterday (our checkout day).

We did the Dolphin Fact or Fiction, Pin Trading Cork Boards (fee), Sea Life with Youngsters, Secrets of the Marsh, and the Pinckney Island NWR tour.

bzAWLWLl.jpg

Fulll size: http://i.imgur.com/bzAWLWL.jpg

We had a great time. I will post more about the trip this week.

From the visitors center, there is a free shuttle bus that takes you around Savannah via essentially the same route as the tour shuttles, but you get no narration. You can bus from visitors center to river street then take free ferries across the river and back. Great views of Savannah and the enormous container ships that go up and down the waterway. There is a free streetcar on that riverfront street, or at least there are tracks, but it didn't come out the day we visited. But if it's running you can do a good route using the free bus, free ferry, and the free streetcar to see the sights. We caught the free bus on the street in front of the VC, while the paid tour trolley buses load in the parking lot.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using DISBoards

Are their landmark signs that you can read from the free shuttle? I am just wondering if we took the free shuttle if we would know what we are looking at?What would you recommend?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter