2013 Free Dining Watch

The majority of the times in the past, Disney seems to LOVE releasing promos for Disney Visa holders on a Thursday. Generally this is two-three days before the public offer. Before this trend, they used to release to Visa holders on a Monday, but I guess they found Thursday to be a better day to start...hence the trend. Note the recent Summer promo released to Disney Visa holders on March 28 (Thursday) and went public the following Tuesday.

Some further insight:

Here's prior dates of free dining releases...

2005 - Booking started June 2
2006 - Booking started April 1
2007 - Booking started April 9
2008 - Booking started April 7
2009 - Booking started March 30
2010 - Booking started April 29
2011 - Booking started April 28
2012 - Booking started March 1

I know what you're thinking, the June 2 date would just kill most folks here wouldn't it?

We went in '05. My thinking is the reason they released it then was:
1) The dining plan was fairly new (the ddp as it exists now--they added the QS later, I think) . They wanted to introduce more people to it.
2) Bookings were very low, still building since 9/11.
3) There had been three hurricanes that affected WDW the year before. People were nervous about booking in Aug./Sept. for that reason.

I think they only came up with the idea when all those moons aligned, probably around May.

[Why is it I always picture the brainstorming scene from Apollo 13 when I think of Disney coming up with new promotions? "Don't leave this room until you have manipulated all the components to fit our needs."]

Then it took off...and they had incentive to do it again...and again.
I think that if they waited till June now, they would risk losing the people who have to make their vacation plans several months in advance.
We were able to take advantage of my dh's college break in '05 and change our trip to Aug. from Dec. But not everyone has that flexibility.

I should also point out that TAs usually get info between 10-14 days out, which is when Danny will know for sure. Outside of that, we hear mumblings of dates and small bits of information as well as looking at historical trends.

!!!

I may be wrong, but I don't think Danny is a TA. Didn't he mention on one of his threads a year or two ago that he had a family member or friend who worked for corporate Disney? Did I dream that? Lol!

I may be wrong, but I don't think Danny is a TA. Didn't he mention on one of his threads a year or two ago that he had a family member or friend who worked for corporate Disney? Did I dream that? Lol!

Not sure if you dreamed THAT, but did I dream that at one point he said he would tell us the new discount 20 days before it went live? :rotfl:

Oh it's not an indicator at all of anything other than Disney playing the waiting game. I have little doubt they will offer it for September. The rest of the year however may be dry but September is always the tough sell for Disney and they have to offer more than other periods to fill the rooms.

Will we see it, yes. It will just be a bit longer. Remember the Thursday rule for visa holders and you're down to just a few days to look at. I'm focusing on the 9th and 16th at this point.

Good point. We've been using FD in the last week of August for the past couple of years, so now we're just waiting with baited-breath for the arrival dates that qualify for FD.....if FD is offered, that is.

Not saying he's a TA, but he's definitely getting some leaked info, at least for now. Disney has really been cracking down on leaks lately so I hope that in our yearning for information that we don't get anyone in trouble. At any rate, he tends to get his info when the TAs do.

The majority of the times in the past, Disney seems to LOVE releasing promos for Disney Visa holders on a Thursday. Generally this is two-three days before the public offer. Before this trend, they used to release to Visa holders on a Monday, but I guess they found Thursday to be a better day to start...hence the trend. Note the recent Summer promo released to Disney Visa holders on March 28 (Thursday) and went public the following Tuesday.

Some further insight:

Here's prior dates of free dining releases...

2005 - Booking started June 2
2006 - Booking started April 1
2007 - Booking started April 9
2008 - Booking started April 7
2009 - Booking started March 30
2010 - Booking started April 29
2011 - Booking started April 28
2012 - Booking started March 1

I know what you're thinking, the June 2 date would just kill most folks here wouldn't it?

Ok, good to know. I am assuming I'll get an email or something from VISA?
I'll have to switch my room likely since we're set for LM now. I just hope free dining for early fall extends to 10/4 since Columbus Day is later this year. If not, might be stuck waiting for the late fall promo this summer!**fingers crossed**

We are Disney Visa holders and notification from them can be hit or miss...sometimes a bit late. i would suggest that you log into your account at Chase dot com to confirm if you have any doubts once the announcement has been made. :) hoping it comes soon, and brings gallons of pixie dust to be shared :) happy waiting everyone

I've used FD for most of our trips from mid Aug to the third week of Aug. We are booked at POFQ for Aug 14-24 and Im hoping for FD and will adjust our dates if needed (only slightly). I've checked the restaurants for available times and I can get any restaurant I want for the times we mormally eat which is between 5:30 to 6:30 for our scheduled trip. What does this mean???? Low crowds, bring your own sandwich???? Hope it goes back to the mid Aug dates.....My kids actually pray for this in church....:lmao:

I've used FD for most of our trips from mid Aug to the third week of Aug. We are booked at POFQ for Aug 14-24 and Im hoping for FD and will adjust our dates if needed (only slightly). I've checked the restaurants for available times and I can get any restaurant I want for the times we mormally eat which is between 5:30 to 6:30 for our scheduled trip. What does this mean???? Low crowds, bring your own sandwich???? Hope it goes back to the mid Aug dates.....My kids actually pray for this in church....:lmao:

I saw lots of availibility online too for my stay in September but called Disney for actually placing dining reservations two days ago and surprisingly found availability was quite tight. We are also a party of 4 and what we found was a lot of online times for a party of 4 are actually 2x tables of 2 - which doesn't work with a toddler and infant. If you want to actually sit at a table with your whole family availability was much more scarce. As examples, I had 1 time to choose for Hollywood and Vine and two times to pick for in Epcot princess storybook lunch (don't remember the name of the place off the top of my head). That's it. Online I had double the availability or more. Just wanted to give you an FYI that the online booking tool is probably not the best indicator of availability for your specific needs and I'd book via phone anyway instead - they are SUPER HELPFUL and SUPER NICE (like most CM's are!).

Did Danny25 say anything today? I just did a quick glance and people are saying it seems the April 25th date is dead? Did something happen that I missed? :)

Did Danny25 say anything today? I just did a quick glance and people are saying it seems the April 25th date is dead? Did something happen that I missed? :)

Danny 25 posted today that there is nothing coming April-May 10. He also asked that people not post that he has given a date guess because he does not do guesses, just facts. He is being lumped in with some other posters' estimates, and he only deals with facts. :goodvibes

Danny posted yesterday on the discount boards that for him April 25th is gone and he is aiming more on May 10th.....

Disney tells its TAs about ten days or so ahead of time. That hasn't happened, hence that date being dead. Keep in mind there's a difference between a prediction and leaked info. Sometimes we nail the date and sometimes we don't, such is life. There are also many folks here that receive the info but don't share out of fear that Disney will punish them, which could happen if caught.

Sadly we have to play the waiting game just a bit longer.

Danny 25 posted today that there is nothing coming April-May 10. He also asked that people not post that he has given a date guess because he does not do guesses, just facts. He is being lumped in with some other posters' estimates, and he only deals with facts. :goodvibes

Not sure why he was lumped in with the predictions. There are many TAs on here that receive info early as well but they aren't supposed to ever share. Disney catches someone leaking and they get fired. So be thankful for the leaks we get and be hopeful that no one gets fired for any of them.

Danny posted yesterday on the discount boards that for him April 25th is gone and he is aiming more on May 10th.....

He is not aiming for a May 10th release. He just said it would be at least May 10 before anything is talked about and that nothing is clear even after that date.

Hey guys,

Let me make an attempt to avoid confusion.

There are those of us who make predictions based on historical information, year-after-year trends, and the like to give rough estimates of what to expect. Though we occaisionally will hit a date, it's more of a broader feel than a pinpoint kind of thing.

Danny doesn't deal in this, as he is getting his information from a leaked source once Disney decides to release it. This can be anything from a TA to someone working at Disney corporate, etc...who has the info a couple weeks beforehand. This isn't looking at anything aside from facts once they have been determined.

Which is better? I would argue both. The trend followers can get a "feel" for things way out from the date, and have a general idea of how the patterns are falling. Once you get to the two week range or so, then the ones with the leaked info can pinpoint down to the exact date.

So as you see, both are very different, yet very valuable indeed.

That being said, I'll give you my thoughts so far. Though part of me is surprised that April didn't come to pass, another part of me isn't. It certainly wouldn't be the first time they have waited and this year seems to be following that pattern. Each part of the year has seen some sort of discount so far, and we all know that September is the slower and harder to sell part of the year for many reasons such as kids starting school and hurricane season. I still feel that free dining is still in the cards for September; however, I don't think it will be offered for other parts of the year, hence their pullback of so many free dining dates. The offer for this part of the year has to be a bit sweeter than others due to factors mentioned above, and free dining has always been a good choice to cover this. Back when it started, this was the only time of year when it was offered, before being expanded to other parts of the year.

Don't get caught up in the date game...you'll know about it in plenty of time to book your package and get what you want. Personally, my dining reservations have long since been made, so I'm not sweating anything else. Also, don't get caught up in the long wait times for the phones. So many feel they have to call promtly at 7am on the first day or it will sell out. I will tell you that from years of experience that I have never had a problem getting a room wherever I wanted, even calling a week after the offer went public (given the room choice isn't completely excluded of course). I've stayed at Pop and Riverside, two of the more popular choices, and had no problems whatsoever. The only thing I sweat is the ADR's, which I had zero problems booking even way past the 180 day mark.

So no worries folks, you'll get what you want, we all will...just make your ADR's now and start thinking of all the happy memories you'll be making in a few short months.

Cheers everyone!!!

If any discount at all is offered for late fall, I wonder if AoA LM will still be excluded? We are booked for Pop, but I would love to stay at AoA!

If any discount at all is offered for late fall, I wonder if AoA LM will still be excluded? We are booked for Pop, but I would love to stay at AoA!

I would be shocked if AoA LM room are included. There are so few of them that they sell out easily without discounts. Not saying it isn't possible, but it is extremely unlikely.

I think we might all just go crazy before they offer something for early fall! My 5-year old prayed at lunch today that "Mickey would call already and tell mommy she can eat snacks for free, so she will stop looking on the computer." :rotfl2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter