*2013* epcot food & wine festival 9/27-11/11

Hey gang! In my planning I was realizing that the special events listing is great if you live in Orlando and you find an event that interests you, then you know when to go. For the rest of us, we often need to use the opposite approach and we know when we are going and need to know what is going on at that time. I didn't see any calendar out there (and my apologies if there is one and I didn't see it), so I created one. Hopefully you should be able to access it at https://www.google.com/calendar/emb...roup.calendar.google.com&ctz=America/New_York

PM me if you see any errors. I have not added the deminars. Would that be useful?

Food allergies at the demos: As always, make any allergies known when you book your reservation, and again when you check in for the event. I have no idea what sort of/if any accommodations will be made. See below, on how to ask Disney. If I had a severe food allergy, I would seriously consider not booking the demos/seminars, and if I decided to risk it, I would bring counter measures. Some food items are pre-distributed (like crackers for wine tastings), seating is close/crowded, cross-contamination--even at the table--seems very possible to me.

For the events, do the same--notify Disney when you make your reservation and again on check in and again when you meet your server. Make a point of talking to the Chef or Restaurant/Event Manager when you arrive at the restaurant. It wouldn't hurt to arrive a bit early, and make your needs known. At the more signature events, you have a better chance of being accommodated with changes to your individual experience.

For the kiosks, again, tell them about the allergy and ask for information when you place your order, just as you would at a counter service restaurant. There are roving food service managers, too, during the festival. You could ask a Cast Member to flag one down for you.

HOW TO ASK DISNEY ABOUT SPECIAL DIETS/FOOD ALLERGIES
If you want real and specific answers, in advance, you should try calling or emailing the Special Diet department —SpecialDiets@DisneyWorld.com, or call at (407) 824-5967. They should be able to provide very specific guidance.

At Disney, there is no need to self-determine the ingredients of any food item. Do not be afraid to ask for information or guidance. Of all places you could dine out, this is probably one of the best for accommodating special diets.

If you find yourself in a situation where there isn't enough information, then go somewhere else. Make sure you let Disney know if you encountered either a really good or really bad experience.

I attended one of the culinary seminars last year that included an ingredient to which I am allergic. I didn't sign up in advance. I went to the festival center the day of the demo and spoke to the CMs selling the tickets for the demos. They contacted the kitchen and I was told that the chef would prepare something different for me. When I got the demo, I told the person taking the tickets about the allergy and that something different was being prepared for me. They told me that they were aware and told me where to sit so the the servers would know I had the different sample.

Simple and easy.

I had wanted to attend this demo since later in the year I was cooking for a dinner that was serving it, even though I could not eat it.

Thank you both for such detailed help!

For the first time since I've been going to the festival I am not interested in booking a single seminar.

There are beer seminars on October 2, 3, 8 and 9. There are a few TBDs but of course we don't know if they will be beer yet. One is on October 16.

Scoop!

Yeah Nala, I'm not so sure ill be booking either. Nothing that interesting. Corn and poultry are the primary demos while I'm there. I'm allergic to corn, and chicken just ain't that exciting... I'm a little disappointed, but I guess that's more cash for the booths!

Hey gang! In my planning I was realizing that the special events listing is great if you live in Orlando and you find an event that interests you, then you know when to go. For the rest of us, we often need to use the opposite approach and we know when we are going and need to know what is going on at that time. I didn't see any calendar out there (and my apologies if there is one and I didn't see it), so I created one. Hopefully you should be able to access it at https://www.google.com/calendar/emb...roup.calendar.google.com&ctz=America/New_York

PM me if you see any errors. I have not added the deminars. Would that be useful?

Wow - That is pretty amazing! Thanks.

Please forgive me for my ignorance but i have tried to find WHERE to call tomorrow for the food demos etc. Yes i am A DVC member. annual passholder and TIW so i guess i am 'allowed' but I can't find the number to call! Can someone PLEASE help? Thanx

Please forgive me for my ignorance but i have tried to find WHERE to call tomorrow for the food demos etc. Yes i am A DVC member. annual passholder and TIW so i guess i am 'allowed' but I can't find the number to call! Can someone PLEASE help? Thanx

407.WDW.FEST (407.939.3378)

WDW.DINE might work too?

Thanks so much! Wish they still did Beer seminars more regularly as it looks like there're none when I'm there. Guess I'm going to have to go for Wine :yay:

DVC Member Services has said they will be open at 8AM tomorrow also to book these events. So if you want to take a chance through them you can try the DVC number which is on the back of your member card.

wow - thanks for sharing. I had just put together a list of what is available by date for my trip and now totally feel like I wasted my time :lmao:

Is there any place for non DVC members to see the list?

I think you can click the links and it will work for anyone. I used them and I'm mobile so not signed into my dvc account and they came up. Otherwise disney food blog now has them listed as well.

Awesome! Thanks!:thumbsup2

I think you can click the links and it will work for anyone. I used them and I'm mobile so not signed into my dvc account and they came up. Otherwise disney food blog now has them listed as well.

I'm not a DVC member and the links worked for me.

I have a question. This will be my second time at Food and Wine but the first time we have attended any special events.

I am looking at the beverage seminar "The Great Whiskey Debate "

and the

Mixology seminar Beam which lists the following BEAM, Kim Haasarud, Bobby G. Gleason & Philip Raimondo, Jim Beam® Bourbon Whiskey, Knob Creek® Bourbon,
Jacob’s Ghost™ White Whiskey

What is the difference between the two?
How does a beverage seminar differ from a mixology seminar?

This will be for the 3 guys in the family 24, 27, 53.

Thanks so much

The Whiskey Debate is every year. There are four reps from different companies who do it. They present Scotch whiskey, Irish whiskey, bourbon and a Canadian whiskey. The audience was ostensibly supposed to vote on which was best while the reps made "appeals" for their whiskey. It is all in good fun. There will be samples of each whiskey to taste.

In a Mixology seminar you would be taught recipes for mixed drinks using the featured spirits, and get to sample each mixed drink.

If they like their whiskey straight, they should go to the debate. If they like mixed drinks, then the mixology.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter