2013 Dis Exclusive BackstageMagic Adventure 6/9 - 6/14/13

So when do we need to start thinking about dining reservations at Disneyland? I know it's not like WDW but I want to make sure I get what we want for the times when ABD is not doing our dining plans & for our 2 days post trip.

You can't book more than 60 days out period. Realistically, you are probably OK booking a week in advance or even less. It is seriously different from WDW. We booked Carthay Circle last year shortly after it opened (July 23rd)about 30 days in advance. (BTW, Carthay Circle was fantastic!) I wasn't going to book anything other than maybe dinner on Friday @ Carthay Circle since I know Kevin/Pete/John & ABD usually seem to have a few surprises up their sleeve, and if not there's plenty of places you can just walk in. I would say if you have your heart set on someplace, go ahead and book it a few weeks in advance, but save it for the post-ABD portion.

Me and my daughter, who will be 19 years old, are arriving Saturday, early afternoon and staying at the Loews Hollywood Hotel. We want to do a couple of things on our own before trip starts. We had in mind Farmers Market and TMZ bus tour looks fun. We also want to do a studio tour. Warner Bros or Paramount. My daughter wants to do both. lol...Anyone recommend either one? We are big Harry Potter fans too.

ABD packs this trip pretty tight.

Even during the OYO (on your own) time, ABD will offer special things.

I dont want to give away surprises, but the days and nights are pretty full.

Just some advice.....

I love surprises and Disney Surprises are even better! I can't wait!

Priority seatings are easier to come by at DL.

If you are looking to dine at Blue Bayou, Napa Rose or have a large party...a priority seating is advised. Otherwise, we have never had an issue getting a table.

Just some advice.....

Thanks for the advice Kevin & Pete. I know DL is a whole different story when it comes to dining. I'll have to give some thought to just our post nights then. Hmmmmmmmmmmm..................decisions, decisions.

Me and my daughter, who will be 19 years old, are arriving Saturday, early afternoon and staying at the Loews Hollywood Hotel. We want to do a couple of things on our own before trip starts. We had in mind Farmers Market and TMZ bus tour looks fun. We also want to do a studio tour. Warner Bros or Paramount. My daughter wants to do both. lol...Anyone recommend either one? We are big Harry Potter fans too.

We are likely going to do one Sunday morning, I think the WB lot. From what I hear, the WB has a lot of Harry Potter costume stuff as part of the tour. While we like Harry, I am more interested in seeing TV/Movie sets, which I think you get more of on the WB tour. On the weekends you are unlikely to see a celebrity, but more able to access the sets as they are not shooting.

So when do we need to start thinking about dining reservations at Disneyland? I know it's not like WDW but I want to make sure I get what we want for the times when ABD is not doing our dining plans & for our 2 days post trip.

I'd probably do what I do at WDW. Eat in the bar. ;)

skier_pete said:
We are likely going to do one Sunday morning, I think the WB lot. From what I hear, the WB has a lot of Harry Potter costume stuff as part of the tour. While we like Harry, I am more interested in seeing TV/Movie sets, which I think you get more of on the WB tour. On the weekends you are unlikely to see a celebrity, but more able to access the sets as they are not shooting.

I was looking at WB too. I really need to sit down and look at where everything is. I'm thinking I want to hit the Farmer's Market too. I think otherwise I would probably just like to look for stars and handprints lol.

Is there anything else that I should do on my first visit to LA that can happen between noon Saturday and welcome dinner Sunday??

DisneyKevin said:

Priority seatings are easier to come by at DL.

If you are looking to dine at Blue Bayou, Napa Rose or have a large party...a priority seating is advised. Otherwise, we have never had an issue getting a table.

Just some advice.....

After listening to the trip reports and reading the boards I can't even imagine trying to plan anything else for adventure days.

This will be the first vacation I ever just "float" along on and I can't wait!

I'm so thankful that I found the DIS all those years ago!

Hey everybody. Happy St. Patty's Day! And 12 weeks to go.

I just thought I'd mention I started a Pre-Trip Report that includes this trip, though it is also for our (tentative) November trip to WDW. Though it would probably be a bit boring to most of you - or to anyone else - I thought I would mention it here as well. So far there's not much there, but I posted talking about what motivated me to want to take this trip. Maybe more insight into my brain than most people would want.:crazy2: :crazy: :scared1:

There's also a link in my signature.

Hey everybody. Happy St. Patty's Day! And 12 weeks to go.

I just thought I'd mention I started a Pre-Trip Report that includes this trip, though it is also for our (tentative) November trip to WDW. Though it would probably be a bit boring to most of you - or to anyone else - I thought I would mention it here as well. So far there's not much there, but I posted talking about what motivated me to want to take this trip. Maybe more insight into my brain than most people would want.:crazy2: :crazy: :scared1:

There's also a link in my signature.

As a trip report junkie, I've got to say that a Pre-Trip Report describing a trip I'm actually going to be on is not the least bit boring to me; I'm actually finding it to be pretty exciting. (I just read what you've written so far.) It's kind of like having a "virtual souvenir." :goodvibes

As a trip report junkie, I've got to say that a Pre-Trip Report describing a trip I'm actually going to be on is not the least bit boring to me; I'm actually finding it to be pretty exciting. (I just read what you've written so far.) It's kind of like having a "virtual souvenir." :goodvibes

What a great way to put it "a virtual souvenir" very true. I read Pete's last report and it was really good so am looking forward to reading along on this one too. :thumbsup2

What a great way to put it "a virtual souvenir" very true. I read Pete's last report and it was really good so am looking forward to reading along on this one too. :thumbsup2

Thanks for the positive feedback. I do it for myself as well to have a diary of sorts of my trips, but it's really comments like those that keep me writing, even when time is hard to find. It took me over 7 months to finish my last TR - admittedly for a 4 week-long trip - but I kept plugging away partly because I knew that people were reading along.

Hi Folks,

As long as the topic of trip reports is upon us, we have a huge favor to ask.

ABD allows us to see things we would never get to see otherwise. This is an amazing opportunity for a Disney fan. Each of the several Backstage Magic Adventures we have been on has been unique and filled with surprises. There were things that made us say wow, things that left us speechless and things that have brought us to tears (okay...that was me).

Now comes the favor....because each trip is unique and you might see things other groups haven't...we beg that you not ruin the "surprises" for the next group going on the Adventure. This allows others to be awestruck and as the next group might see something completely different, it doesnt inflate expectations which can lead to disappointment.

As Disney fans, you know that something can close for refurbishment, due to guest demand, because someone else is using it etc. You may get to see something no other group has seen before or will see again.

The groups that have participated previously have been great about keeping the "surprises" alive. Please think about doing that for the next group.

Thanks,
Kevin

Hi Folks,

ABD allows us to see things we would never get to see otherwise. This is an amazing opportunity for a Disney fan. Each of the several Backstage Magic Adventures we have been on has been unique and filled with surprises. There were things that made us say wow, things that left us speechless and things that have brought us to tears (okay...that was me).

Now comes the favor....because each trip is unique and you might see things other groups haven't...we beg that you not ruin the "surprises" for the next group going on the Adventure. This allows others to be awestruck and as the next group might see something completely different, it doesnt inflate expectations which can lead to disappointment.

As Disney fans, you know that something can close for refurbishment, due to guest demand, because someone else is using it etc. You may get to see something no other group has seen before or will see again.

The groups that have participated previously have been great about keeping the "surprises" alive. Please think about doing that for the next group.

Thanks,
Kevin

Kevin,

I'm glad you wrote that. I was really torn about the idea of writing a TR at ALL because of not ruining the surprise for others that may follow someday. I myself have not read ANY of the TR from previous trips simply because I DON'T want to know these things ahead of time. However, several of my DIS friends have requested it, so I was still trying to figure out the best way.

So, I can't speak for others, but I will keep ALL "surprises" as well as real details about the really magical moments out of my report. (Or anything that makes me cry - because that'll probably happen, too.)

Pete

Hi Folks,

Thanks,
Kevin

I totally respect this Kevin! I wrote a trip report from our ABD BSM back in 2008 & I included lots of the surprises which most people seemed to like, but I also let everyone know ahead of time that if they wanted to be surprised not to read. I really hope I didn't spoil anyone's magic. :sad1: That being said, this time, I have stayed far away from trip reports, as I want to be surprised this time around to see the changes & adjustments have been made to the trip.

Oh yeah & I question, does ABD give you the photo CD now or do you still have to buy it like you did back in 2008? I really hope they include it now. I did not buy it back then, I did a photobook on the website & used the ones I wanted, but this time I would really like to have all the photos.

AND...........didn't following the #disgoeswest tweets make everyone even more anxious for the trip to get here already?????? I am so excited to go to Trader Sams now!

I totally respect this Kevin! I wrote a trip report from our ABD BSM back in 2008 & I included lots of the surprises which most people seemed to like, but I also let everyone know ahead of time that if they wanted to be surprised not to read. I really hope I didn't spoil anyone's magic. :sad1: That being said, this time, I have stayed far away from trip reports, as I want to be surprised this time around to see the changes & adjustments have been made to the trip.

Please dont take this the wrong way, but alerting people that there are spoiler alerts is different than not telling people.

We saw some amazing things on our last BSM Adventure. You may not get to see the same things this time. You just never know.

Had we told you what we saw and then you dont get a chance to see the same cool things, you would most likely be disappointed.

We try to make sure everyone has a spectacular Adventure. Sharing the secrets (even with spoiler alerts) usually leads to someone being upset or disppointed.

Please dont share the secrets of this trip.

Oh yeah & I question, does ABD give you the photo CD now or do you still have to buy it like you did back in 2008? I really hope they include it now. I did not buy it back then, I did a photobook on the website & used the ones I wanted, but this time I would really like to have all the photos.

ABD sends every guest a copy of the CD.

It usually arrives two to three weeks after the Adventure ends.

I should add that there might be some special magical moments that might not be done for other Backstage Magic trips.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter