2013 dining plan prices! OUCH

That really stinks that the DxDDP went up so much. I did some quick rough calculations and it's really just a break even deal for us now. We still did it, (booked this am) b/c DH likes the pre-paid factor, but I don't think it saves us any money. :sad:

Oh well. I'll just have to make sure we pick all the expensive restaurants to make it worth it, lol!

Even with dinner buffets, you may not do more than break even. Except for Akershus and Chef Mickey, they're all under $40 (and some are even $35), so you would still have to maximize your QS and snack to see any savings, AND you would have to eat at the pricier buffets for all your meals.

Those prices are CRAZY! The delxue plan never was a great deal unless you were doing a lot of expensive signature meals, but almost $100.00 per person per day now, is insane. I LOVE Disney dining and it is definitely part of our vacation experience, but I don't think we will ever PAY for the DDP again. Free Dining just keeps getting better and better for us. If they did away with free dining we would most likely stay off site and pay out of pocket for our meals.

Those prices are CRAZY! The delxue plan never was a great deal unless you were doing a lot of expensive signature meals, but almost $100.00 per person per day now, is insane. I LOVE Disney dining and it is definitely part of our vacation experience, but I don't think we will ever PAY for the DDP again. Free Dining just keeps getting better and better for us. If they did away with free dining we would most likely stay off site and pay out of pocket for our meals.

Unfortunately, Disney will have to "make up" the cost of free dining somewhere, so I expect room rates will also rise since you have to pay rack rate for free dining. Over on the attractions board, someone said the exact same trip (no dining) was 7.5% more next year (same dates, same hotel, same number of people).

Here is the full breakdown

Quick Dining
All Seasons
$37.58 per adult per night
$14.32 per child per night

2012 was $34.99 and $11.99

Plus Dining
Value and Regular Seasons
$55.59/adult
$17.16/child

Peak and Holiday Seasons
$56.94/adult
$18.16/child

2012 was $51.54/$53.54 and $15.02/$16.02

Deluxe Dining Plan
Value and Regular Seasons
$99.97/adult
$26.84/child

Peak and Holiday Seasons
$102.27/adult
$28.91/child

2012 was $85.52/$89.52 and $23.79/$25.79

Whatis the source? Just clicking and changing options...or is this published somewhere?

For several years know I have felt that Disney has raised prices at the restaurants and to the dining plan to give more "value" to the Free Dining incentives. It also discourages non-dining plan people from using table service restaurants so there is more availability to dining plan customers.

I had decided not to purchase the dining plan for our March 2013 trip just based on comparing where we wanted to eat and what we would order vs the 2012 prices. We would pay slightly less OOP and that was with a TS each day except one and over guestimating on CS meals (kids & DH will eat more of these while I tend to snack and save room for the TS meal ;) Now that I see the actuall prices for 2013 I am really glad that I did not include it when I booked my package today!

We were planning on going to Ohana, Crystal Palace, Chef Mickeys, Trails End, Cape May, Kona, and Coral Reef. Even when ordering steak at both of the regular menu restaurants, we just break even on the TS credits and I don't think we could break even on the CS credits. FD would likely still be a bargain over other discounts, but if the DDP is not free we will skip it.

For several years know I have felt that Disney has raised prices at the restaurants and to the dining plan to give more "value" to the Free Dining incentives. It also discourages non-dining plan people from using table service restaurants so there is more availability to dining plan customers.

They would never want to discourage anybody from using table service restaurants, not as long as there are empty tables.

When pricing their menus, they take into account several different types of customers:
1-- Those who stay on resort, on the dining plan -- Expensive prices make them feel like they are getting more value. So as per your theory, this encourages them to raise prices.
But it doesn't end there.

2-- Customers staying on resort, who are NOT on the dining plan. These guests are somewhat trapped. They generally are relying on Disney transportation, and therefore have to eat all their meals on property. Just like getting food at a ball game, since they have you trapped, they can increase their prices for these guests. But, only so far. You want guests to enjoy staying on property, and returning for the experience. So making them feel like they were miserably ripped off with the restaurant pricing, isn't going to encourage them to return. So while for these guests, you can somewhat justify higher prices, but only to a degree.

3-- Off-site guests, including local day guests. As many as 2/3rds of visitors are coming from off-site. So you really can't ignore these people. For these people, there is pressure to drive prices DOWN. It is convenient to have your meal at the park, without leaving the property, and that can justify slightly higher prices. But by only so much. Prices need to be low enough, to discourage locals from just packing their lunches at home, or discourage people with cars from taking a lunch break off property. Somewhat reasonable prices encourage these guests to stick around for dinner... or buy some extra snacks.

A financial expert could tell you the overall effect. I'll just give you my own conjecture --
Combine all these factors --- Conclusions:

1. Character meals. Disney can charge almost anything they want for character meals -- Due to their limited availability, and the fact that you can't really get them off property. It's more of a charge for an extra attraction, than for food. I'm sure there are people who wouldn't hesitate to pay $100 per person to eat with Princesses at the Castle, even if they served nothing but chicken nuggets. As a result, we constantly see character meal prices escalating significantly in price.

2. QS meals and snacks -- Can only sustain prices slightly above off-property comparison. If a QS hamburger is $20 -- Your casual day guests are going to completely balk. If an ice cream cone is $9 -- You're not going to sell any ice cream cones. Thus, I think it will continue to be rare to see QS entrees that go above $10. You also need to keep an affordable meal option, for those who feel out-priced by TS dining.

3. In-park regular TS dining -- As long as they fill up, they can get away with pretty inflated pricing. But still want to keep the pricing reasonable enough that your day guest decides to stay the extra couple hours for dinner, instead of packing up at 7 pm because onsite dinners are too expensive.

4. Resort located dining, especially signature dining -- This is an entirely different class. During slower times of years especially, these restaurants don't just get park guests. Local diners will use these restaurants, even without stepping foot in a park. They can only elevate their price so much, for "Disney magic." While they have some customers who are locked into Disney property, they aren't locked inside a park. Pretty easy to get a meal delivered to the hotel, or take a cab off property from the hotel. can even go to "off site" restaurants with Disney transportation --- The Swan/Dolphin restaurants. So these signature restaurants really have to be somewhat similarly priced to signature restaurants off property. Sure, there is some inflation (especially the $70 lobster at Narcoose's). So a $30 off-site entree may become a $40 signature entree, but you aren't going to see ridiculous levels of inflation.

Does this price include tax? If not, what % is the tax?
Tax is included in the dining plans. When comparing to OOP prices, tax rate is 6.5% at the parks and all resorts EXCEPT the All-Stars and ESPN WWOS where it is 7.0% (All-Stars and WWOS are located in a different county than the rest of the World).

They would never want to discourage anybody from using table service restaurants, not as long as there are empty tables.

When pricing their menus, they take into account several different types of customers:
1-- Those who stay on resort, on the dining plan -- Expensive prices make them feel like they are getting more value. So as per your theory, this encourages them to raise prices.
But it doesn't end there.

2-- Customers staying on resort, who are NOT on the dining plan. These guests are somewhat trapped. They generally are relying on Disney transportation, and therefore have to eat all their meals on property. Just like getting food at a ball game, since they have you trapped, they can increase their prices for these guests. But, only so far. You want guests to enjoy staying on property, and returning for the experience. So making them feel like they were miserably ripped off with the restaurant pricing, isn't going to encourage them to return. So while for these guests, you can somewhat justify higher prices, but only to a degree.

3-- Off-site guests, including local day guests. As many as 2/3rds of visitors are coming from off-site. So you really can't ignore these people. For these people, there is pressure to drive prices DOWN. It is convenient to have your meal at the park, without leaving the property, and that can justify slightly higher prices. But by only so much. Prices need to be low enough, to discourage locals from just packing their lunches at home, or discourage people with cars from taking a lunch break off property. Somewhat reasonable prices encourage these guests to stick around for dinner... or buy some extra snacks.

A financial expert could tell you the overall effect. I'll just give you my own conjecture --
Combine all these factors --- Conclusions:

1. Character meals. Disney can charge almost anything they want for character meals -- Due to their limited availability, and the fact that you can't really get them off property. It's more of a charge for an extra attraction, than for food. I'm sure there are people who wouldn't hesitate to pay $100 per person to eat with Princesses at the Castle, even if they served nothing but chicken nuggets. As a result, we constantly see character meal prices escalating significantly in price.

2. QS meals and snacks -- Can only sustain prices slightly above off-property comparison. If a QS hamburger is $20 -- Your casual day guests are going to completely balk. If an ice cream cone is $9 -- You're not going to sell any ice cream cones. Thus, I think it will continue to be rare to see QS entrees that go above $10. You also need to keep an affordable meal option, for those who feel out-priced by TS dining.

3. In-park regular TS dining -- As long as they fill up, they can get away with pretty inflated pricing. But still want to keep the pricing reasonable enough that your day guest decides to stay the extra couple hours for dinner, instead of packing up at 7 pm because onsite dinners are too expensive.

4. Resort located dining, especially signature dining -- This is an entirely different class. During slower times of years especially, these restaurants don't just get park guests. Local diners will use these restaurants, even without stepping foot in a park. They can only elevate their price so much, for "Disney magic." While they have some customers who are locked into Disney property, they aren't locked inside a park. Pretty easy to get a meal delivered to the hotel, or take a cab off property from the hotel. can even go to "off site" restaurants with Disney transportation --- The Swan/Dolphin restaurants. So these signature restaurants really have to be somewhat similarly priced to signature restaurants off property. Sure, there is some inflation (especially the $70 lobster at Narcoose's). So a $30 off-site entree may become a $40 signature entree, but you aren't going to see ridiculous levels of inflation.

I think this is accurate. I feel like most of Disney's counter service options are competitively priced for a theme park. I know we've paid more at other amusements parks for worse food. We have already decided never to pay for the dining plan, but will take advantage of free dining as long as it's the best discount for us. I still don't see how the QSDP is worth it though. :scratchin

Whatis the source? Just clicking and changing options...or is this published somewhere?

Just clicking, changing and doing the math for different seasons. Disney would never tell you these numbers in writing, nor would their reservations agents tell you the nightly amounts.

For some time now WDW has been pushing the equilibrium point in the supply and demand for their dining plan. For the last few years I have found it to be of value for me to use it instead of out of pocket. Now unless they offer free dining when I go, I have been pushed out of what I am willing to pay. I don't need to eat the most expensive item on the menu and have dessert every time I eat so that I can say it is worth it. I will have more value as a consumer buying my meals without a dessert and not ordering the $35 steak every night. I have a feeling many others will be at the same place as me. Will it be enough to push Disney back in the other direction, I doubt it. But no more DDP for this Disney fan. :scratchin

Will it be enough to push Disney back in the other direction, I doubt it.

These things go in cycles. At some point.. Maybe in 10 years.. so young whiz kid in Disney marketing will say --- "Maybe we can promote staying on-site, by offering a great discounted dining package only to onsite guests!"

And then they will implement a good plan, or maybe make TiW available to all onsite guests......

And then gradually, they will start to say, "hmmm, that discounting dining package is so popular... lets start cutting the discount... lets start making more money off it."

Just clicking, changing and doing the math for different seasons. Disney would never tell you these numbers in writing, nor would their reservations agents tell you the nightly amounts.

I've had the experience where the agents basically lie. I've heard, "we can't give you a nightly breakdown, because it is part of a package... and adding the dining plan changes the room/ticket pricing."

They basically deny that there is a set-price. As if it is totally variable depending on your tickets, your room, etc.

Not sure if this has been mentioned, but I am seeing a few Key restaurants that are no longer on the dining plan. Interesting to note as we will NOT be doing the DP now due to some changes in it.

Not sure if this has been mentioned, but I am seeing a few Key restaurants that are no longer on the dining plan. Interesting to note as we will NOT be doing the DP now due to some changes in it.

The list of restaurants in the initial 2013 brochures is not final. They include only Disney-owned restaurants and those who have already signed the contract for 2013 (likely none at this point). Non-Disney restaurants have until the end of the year to sign back up for the next year. Historically, only 1 restaurant has ever dropped participation in the dining plan, Fulton's, and they rejoined for 2012. There's a good chance that your favorite restaurant that was on the plan for 2012 will be on it for 2013.

(Note: Many of the Epcot restaurants are, in fact, not owned by Disney. Same deal with Downtown Disney, and same deal with the Coronado Springs Resort)

(yes, that's on a notepad today, and will be for a few days :p)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter