• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

2013 DDP prices!!!!

323sarg

Mouseketeer
For the last few years we have gotten the deluxe dining plan. We like because we come out slightly ahead and when on vacation, I like to relax have good meals.

However now the DDP is around 99 a person. We now will only come out slighly ahead barely justifying the plan. At what point will Disney do the math and realize its not worth it. Sure we could cut back and change eating habit but this is our time of year to relax and splurge

doing the math, we come out only slightly ahead but at what point is disney going to realize

For the last few years we have gotten the deluxe dining plan. We like because we come out slightly ahead and when on vacation, I like to relax have good meals.

However now the DDP is around 99 a person. We now will only come out slighly ahead barely justifying the plan. At what point will Disney do the math and realize its not worth it. Sure we could cut back and change eating habit but this is our time of year to relax and splurge

doing the math, we come out only slightly ahead but at what point is disney going to realize

Not that this is any consolation, but probably the menu prices will also go up in 2013. So you'll probably come out more ahead than you are now. We priced out our usage as well....we're doing the deluxe plan in June. Well, we're (right now) going to only come out about $200 ahead. but for my Dh, it's worth it to basically "pre pay" for dining and not worry about having to decide what to order based on price or not order something because of the price. For us, we're looking at it as it's an "all inclusive" with the resort / tickets, not as a huge savings. We love to relax at meals also and take a breather.

Unfortunately, it seems like whenever they raise the price of the dining plans, they raise the prices on the menu to make the dining plan look like a great deal.

Since we are DVC members, we are eligible to buy the TiW card. For each trip, I look at what restaurants/meals we want to experience. Then, I try to figure out if they can be accomodated by one of the dining plans and at what cost. Then I look at what they would cost with the TiW card. I put all the numbers together and see which plan works out the best. Sometimes, I'll split our stay by starting out in a studio for 2 nights. I'll add the DxDDP to those two nights which gives us three days of meals. We try to eat at our most expensive choices using the credits. Then, we switch to a 1BR for our last 3 nights and go without a plan. We either eat leftovers or use the TIW card and dine at cheaper TS restaurants.

I agree completly! We did the Deluxe Dining last July and are thinking about going back in June and my husband was the one saying that this was great! Not to have to worry about what your spending and its already paid for! we made out great last year bc the plus dining was offered to us for free and then we upgraded for only half the price for the deluxe.:wizard:

Not that this is any consolation, but probably the menu prices will also go up in 2013. So you'll probably come out more ahead than you are now. We priced out our usage as well....we're doing the deluxe plan in June. Well, we're (right now) going to only come out about $200 ahead. but for my Dh, it's worth it to basically "pre pay" for dining and not worry about having to decide what to order based on price or not order something because of the price. For us, we're looking at it as it's an "all inclusive" with the resort / tickets, not as a huge savings. We love to relax at meals also and take a breather.

That's right about where we are price wise for it as well for our February trip. I figure we still come out ahead (for now) and I get to try some desserts/order things I wouldn't have gotten OOP.

We got the SPD deal so we did get discounted dining. I can't say that it'd be worth it paying for it in full. I'd have to do the math.

A couple more price increases and it just won't be cost efficient :(

sydneysmom said:

We are planning for next August. We have the same outlook. They are raising menu prices and unfortunately quality is dropping. But that is a whole other thread. At this rate, this could be our last time using the DDP.

Our trips are pretty low cost since we are DVC members and I get a discount on my tickets though the military but .....

Starting when in 2013? I hope not next week. Didn't purchase dpp, but I did carefully budget based on current restaurant prices.

Starting when in 2013? I hope not next week. Didn't purchase dpp, but I did carefully budget based on current restaurant prices.

DDP price increases were announced back in the fall. Restaurant prices do not all jump at once, and most increases are minimal when they do happen, so you should be fine with the numbers you have.

Great! I already had to take Pepper Market off my list because they are switching to ala carte starting tomorrow.

Gottu say I came over to this section of the boards just to discuss this. This will only be our second trip to WDW ... loved it last Feb for our honeymoon and well, can't wait to go back. Last year we got free dining, although we also went during Presidents day week, so it was more expensive, but free dining ...

Anyway, looking at Mid May for 10 days this year. Trying to figure out the DP. Regular dining plan last year, my wife and I (just the 2 of us so far) didn't use all our meals. Many of the QS meals are rather huge, and we split them. The sit downs we use all of, loved the experience and the food, Sanaa, Ohana, just to name a couple. So we have our ADRs mostly booked, with some flex for spontinaety some nights. OK.

The reg meal plan will cost us $1111.00. So about $50/person/day

Looking at places like Jiko, Marakeesh, etc ... it looks like meals will be 20,25-35/person. If we each eat a QS meal $8-15 ... and each eat a breakfast meal/snack $$?? maybe we break even. Some of the breakfast snacks we ate on our plan last year were only a couple dollars, like bagels, etc.... so, break even maybe.

But we probably wont.

Ugh ... It seems to be more like, a pre paid meal plan rather than a deal, but I am worried it will end up being pressure to eat all the food ...

Thoughts ?

. It seems to be more like, a pre paid meal plan rather than a deal, but I am worried it will end up being pressure to eat all the food ...

Thoughts ?

I agree with this. I don't think Disney intended the plans to save money for the majority of guests. Yes, some people will save money with them, but a lot do not. We have done either the ddp or qsdp on our last seven trips (haven't been since 2010). Our oldest ds is now a Disney 'adult', which caused us to run the numbers this time. It just isn't worth it for us anymore, especially since we don't feel like we have to get our money's worth out of it. We have always ordered what we wanted, no matter if it was the cheapest thing or most expensive thing on the menu, didn't get dessert if we didn't want it, left many credits unused--mostly CS and most of our snack credits--etc. Just my opinion on it.

Gottu say I came over to this section of the boards just to discuss this. This will only be our second trip to WDW ... loved it last Feb for our honeymoon and well, can't wait to go back. Last year we got free dining, although we also went during Presidents day week, so it was more expensive, but free dining ...

Anyway, looking at Mid May for 10 days this year. Trying to figure out the DP. Regular dining plan last year, my wife and I (just the 2 of us so far) didn't use all our meals. Many of the QS meals are rather huge, and we split them. The sit downs we use all of, loved the experience and the food, Sanaa, Ohana, just to name a couple. So we have our ADRs mostly booked, with some flex for spontinaety some nights. OK.

The reg meal plan will cost us $1111.00. So about $50/person/day

Looking at places like Jiko, Marakeesh, etc ... it looks like meals will be 20,25-35/person. If we each eat a QS meal $8-15 ... and each eat a breakfast meal/snack $$?? maybe we break even. Some of the breakfast snacks we ate on our plan last year were only a couple dollars, like bagels, etc.... so, break even maybe.

But we probably wont.

Ugh ... It seems to be more like, a pre paid meal plan rather than a deal, but I am worried it will end up being pressure to eat all the food ...

Thoughts ?

I was thinking the same thing. The DDP is $55.59 per day per adult. So it's going be pretty tough to save money even if you do buffets, you just break even. So we are not doing the plan on our next trip, plus DS will be a disney adult. I prefer the flexibility of not having the plan even though it is convenient.

I know they say order the most expensive meal at TS but I don't like steak enough to be eating it at every meal:lmao:

I was thinking the same thing. The DDP is $55.59 per day per adult. So it's going be pretty tough to save money even if you do buffets, you just break even. So we are not doing the plan on our next trip, plus DS will be a disney adult. I prefer the flexibility of not having the plan even though it is convenient.

I know they say order the most expensive meal at TS but I don't like steak enough to be eating it at every meal:lmao:

ok yea that breaks it down even more ... and this is my problem. My wife and I are very health conscious, that doesn't mean we don't eat crap/delicious!!! food ... we do, but when we do we portion control. So if we are doing a Burger and fries, or a disney "personal" pizza (which are like 8-10 Inches !!!!) .... we will split that kind of meal.

We have no problem splurging on Dinner though for the whole trip ...

So yea, basically we will eat 1 OR 2 QS/day and 2 Sit downs/day. Likely will only eat a few snacks.

Thing is, we LOVE the idea of a pre-paid meals, so you just don't have to worry about it. Go to dinner, swipe the card, drop the tip you think the server deserves (ps the Group auto 18% tip is the WORST thing at disney, every time we had a group of 6 or more we got TERRIBLE service.) ... thats it.

So simple, no worries, eat what you want.

My worry is that even if I know that, eating what we want there and charging it to credit card we would still be saving money, it wont FEEL that way, where as with the DP we really didn't worry about it ...

Unfortunately, it seems like whenever they raise the price of the dining plans, they raise the prices on the menu to make the dining plan look like a great deal.

This is correlation, not causation. This would assume that the majority of the people that go get some type of dining plan or that the lack of room discount didn't make up for the discounted dining.

We had the DxDP in September for 6 days and we saved about $300. That was without ordering a single dessert except for at Cali Grill and with having snack credits left over. Had we ordered desserts, that would have been say $6x6mealsX2 people = $72 more in savings. We shared CS meals through out the day so we could eat several small meals (to keep the kids from getting the hungry crankies).

It just depends on what you like. Our kids have decent table manners (so we aren't *that* family in the Coral Reef with our kids away from our table) so we enjoyed being able to have a relaxing dinner at the end of the night. The kids would never have made it through EMH. We just barely made it to 8:30 at MNSSHP.

Stacy

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter