2013 dates

I don't see DCL home porting in Athens. DCL wants people to be able to fly into the more easily accessible airports in Europe - like Barcelona, London, Rome. For crying out loud - they changed their Alaska cruises from Vancouver to Seattle for 2012, and Vancouver isn't exactly difficult to get to!

Not sure why Athens is not "easily accessible." We flew into Athens (as we visited family before the 7 night med in August and then flew from Athens to Barcelona and sailed from there...flew home from Barcelona. Found Athens to be a much more desirable airport experience. Barcelona was a cluster - you know what- in every way from check in to boarding. Athens was very easy both on arrival from the US and when flying from there to Barcelona. That being said...if DCL is surveying based on Rome. Then it will be Rome or nothing.

We just booked our first cruise:goodvibes. We're hoping we like it and that there will be dates to book a Med cruise in 2013.

Not sure why Athens is not "easily accessible." We flew into Athens (as we visited family before the 7 night med in August and then flew from Athens to Barcelona and sailed from there...flew home from Barcelona. Found Athens to be a much more desirable airport experience. Barcelona was a cluster - you know what- in every way from check in to boarding. Athens was very easy both on arrival from the US and when flying from there to Barcelona. That being said...if DCL is surveying based on Rome. Then it will be Rome or nothing.

Athens might be a more desirable airport experience, but there are fewer non-stop flights to Athens from the US than there are to Rome.

I hope they don't go out of Rome--western med certainly covered all things Italy; better that they start and end in Athens, with stops in Crete, Eygpt and Turkey---hitting Santorini along the way too. With Adventures by Disney now doing a Greece trip (and starting the Eygpt one back up), seems like a natural add-on for an ABD/Magic combo (like what was done with the western med).

I'm with you...that would be absolutely the PERFECT itinerary!!! If they announce this cruise (or anything similiar) I'm booking immediately regardless of the ship :))):cool1:

I thought there was good news on releasing 2013 datessince there was 9 pages, but its all speculation.....:lmao: i got excited

I just did a search on a travel agency's web site for cruises that begin or end in Athens. There are a lot of cruises listed, but the majority are one-way cruises between Athens and Venice, Civitavecchia, Istanbul, or Barcelona. Very few are roundtrip from Athens. While it appears that DCL is seriously considering port stops in Athens and Heraklion, as suggested by their survey, I wouldn't get my hopes up about roundtrip cruises from Athens.

:wave2: Hi Jeff! How's life post-cruise?!

I think whenever they get around to releasing summer 2013 dates for the Magic it may include a combination of Eastern & Western Med cruises. We just got back 2 weeks ago from one of the Med cruises & then I got a postcard to complete an online survey which I did yesterday. One of the last questions was about how likely we were to sail on various itineraries (with "starting at" prices listed). The last 2 choices were a Western Med & an Eastern Med with "starting at" prices at $949. They were both 7 nights out of Civitavecchia (Rome). Since both are out of Civitavecchia I am wondering if they would alternate them so you could do back-to-backs. Here's the specific itineraries they gave:

7-NIGHT EASTERN MEDITERRANEAN (Starting at $949)
Cruise Ports: Civitavecchia, Italy; Messina, Italy; Kusadasi, Turkey; Athens, Greece; Heraklion, Greece; Civitavecchia, Italy

7-NIGHT WESTERN MEDITERRANEAN (Starting at $949)
Cruise Ports: Civitavecchia, Italy; Genoa, Italy; Marseille, France; Barcelona, Spain; Palma de Mallorca, Spain; Sardinia, Italy; Civitavecchia, Italy

OOOOH I like that! There is no way that would be ready to announce in October if they are surveying now... Maybe in April like they did with the NYC and TX stuff.

Hopefully they will have something in October for 2013 double dips since we will be back in the states for training!

DCL announced the 2005 Panama Canal & Mexican Riviera cruises in April (I think) 2004, the 2007 Med cruises in March 2006, and the 2008 Panama Canal & Mexican Riviera cruises in January 2007. While they announced the 2010 Baltic/Med cruises in October 2008 and the 2011 Alaska cruises in September 2009, that was VERY early. Notice that the 2012 Alaska cruises weren't announced until March 2011. DCL's fall announcements are fine for the Bahamas and Caribbean cruises, as already mentioned, but a few of their very early announcements have backfired on them (Med 2011).

I think whenever they get around to releasing summer 2013 dates for the Magic it may include a combination of Eastern & Western Med cruises. We just got back 2 weeks ago from one of the Med cruises & then I got a postcard to complete an online survey which I did yesterday. One of the last questions was about how likely we were to sail on various itineraries (with "starting at" prices listed). The last 2 choices were a Western Med & an Eastern Med with "starting at" prices at $949. They were both 7 nights out of Civitavecchia (Rome). Since both are out of Civitavecchia I am wondering if they would alternate them so you could do back-to-backs. Here's the specific itineraries they gave:

7-NIGHT EASTERN MEDITERRANEAN (Starting at $949)
Cruise Ports: Civitavecchia, Italy; Messina, Italy; Kusadasi, Turkey; Athens, Greece; Heraklion, Greece; Civitavecchia, Italy

7-NIGHT WESTERN MEDITERRANEAN (Starting at $949)
Cruise Ports: Civitavecchia, Italy; Genoa, Italy; Marseille, France; Barcelona, Spain; Palma de Mallorca, Spain; Sardinia, Italy; Civitavecchia, Italy

These sound good. Thanks for posting this!

I pretty much nixed any of the shorter cruises & anything that included Nassau and I added in my comments that we were limited to itineraries that would be offered in the summer only. So while I would be interested in a couple of things if they're not offered when we can GO it doesn't matter what the deal is.:goodvibes

I agree totally about both things! I'm limited to school vacations too and I'm ready for some new ports!! :)

There are more places to go than Nassau, but they are under obligation to make so many port stops there a year or they will incur fines. Now I don't know if they are only limited to Nassau or if they could go to Freeport to count as their Bahamian stop.
Sure would be nice to see another place than Nassau in the Bahamas.

:thumbsup2

Yes, I realize they have that obligation and if I had to choose between Freeport & Nassau I think Nassau is the better option. Our thing is we're really not fans of the shorter cruises. MIGHT consider a 4 or 5 night one again just to get that 5th cruise under our belts so we can claim Gold CC status...but would prefer a longer cruise. I would also like to see Southern Caribbean ports sprinkled in. Not sure how I feel about the Bermuda cruise. NY is within driving distance for us but I'd prefer a longer cruise with more ports...and Charleston doesn't interest me. So that one leaves me feeling like "whatever".

Southern Carribbean would be good!

A Southern Carribean like the one I have booked for Feb 2013 on the Carnival Breeze would be nice, 8 nights, Grand Turks, DR, Curaco, & Aruba would be awesome! Other ports would be nice as well, they just need some variety! ::yes::

That sounds like a good cruise!

As I was laying in bed earlier I got to thinking that I need to get up earlier and start checking first thing in the am to see if the 2013 bookings have opened up yet:cloud9:
Getting Close:surfweb:

I'm sure this must have been asked already but I couldn't see the thread.

When are 2013 cruises on sale? I'm after December so I don't know whether the full year comes out at once or if it's phased?...

I'm still kicking myself for canceling our 3-night booking rather than holding onto it for future ressies. We'll be on the Dream next month and I will be getting a dummy one out there!!!

I dont understand why Disney makes us wait, most of the other cruise lines have the first half of 2013 prices out!

It is going to be so slow between now and October!

Will they announce the cruises available before they are available for booking?

Does anyone know if those of us who do not have member status will be able to book online the first day booking is available for everyone, or will we have to call (cause I'm going to work late that day if we have to call!)?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter