2013 Costa Rica Adventure

I know you will be getting to this....but we are leaving tomorrow :)

I really want to do the zip lining, but my daughter is nervous. Do they allow tandem rides, such as, I would be in front and my daughter would be behind me with her legs wrapped around me.
I also had the same question as tufbuf, do you have time between the meet and greet breakfast and the boat ride, to go back to your room and apply sunscreen again and get a hat etc?

:earsboy:@tufbuf - We left San Jose by approx 6 am. It was a very early start. At Laguna Lodge, we ate 2nd Breakfast and got back into the boats and were gone looking at animals for several hours. No going to rooms or even seeing your bags so bring hats etc with you.
The animals were in trees etc, so no, they weren't "close". They are wild animals so you don't want to be close ;) I bought a new smaller camera for the trip and it had a great built in zoom. I'm pleased at how well it did but it was really hard to get good shots because the animals and boat kept moving so I ended up with a lot of bad or missed shots too.

@dizneekrazee - we saw spider monkeys, howler monkeys and white faced monkeys - all 3 kinds that live in the area! I'll probably post pics of all of them eventually.

@sayhello - Thx!:lovestruc We had the most amazing luck when it came to animal sightings.

@familygoboston - :rotfl:

@emesmom - I'm so sorry this is taking so long. I came back from vacation and have had almost zero free time. Zipline = Age limit of 8+ is strictly enforced. One little girl on our trip was two months shy of her 8th birthday and they wouldn't let her go. Many - and I do mean many - of the younger light weight boys rode tandem but with a zipline employee/guide. You would not be allowed to be her guide.
How it works is like this - there's a 20 min ride to the top via a gondola of sorts which is mellow and scenic. At the top, there are two very short baby trial lines so people can get the hang of it and opt out if they're still nervous. If they decide it's not for them they can take the gondola back down. The third one though is the point of no return - the only way down is down. ::yes::
So Fico, the little girl and a mom who changed her mind all rode down in the gondola and went on a nature walk until the group was done. You have plenty of time to make this decision because there were 33 of us and you can only zip line one at a time so it takes a while. But it was very fun and I highly recommend everyone at least try the baby lines - if the height or whatever is still too scary then well at least you made the attempt. :cutie:

This sounds so confusing but after the boat tour, we went back to the Lodge and had refreshing coconut drinks - yum :thumbsup2

w3zHxfB.jpg

Then got back on the boats again to go to the Sea Turtle Conservatory. Some families opted to skip this because it was very hot and people were getting tired and the pools looked very inviting! So they stayed at the Lodge to rest and swim.

I2zfage.jpg

In retrospect, this might have been a wise decision because the conservatory was a bit of a let down. It consisted of a video of the history of sea turtle rescue efforts in a hot hut and then a very small and hot display/gift shop hut. People were literally melting. If you've ever seen a Nat'l Geographic show on sea turtles then you've seen all of this before and might wish you were swimming at the Lodge instead. :confused3

From here we walked along the beach to Tortuguero village.

hCl6UZz.jpg

It was small and hot, just one main road with a few gift shop type of places. We looked around and bought a few trinkets.

kYCcLMb.jpg

But most people were just anxious to get back to the Lodge and so that's what we did. Our cabins ... were open air, no a/c, just a fan, no glass in the windows, only screens. It was very rustic but very charming and the combination of a late night swim and the fans kept me cool all night long. Not the luxury of the Marriott but definitely a real world Costa Rican rainforest experience. It was lovely.

BupS5OJ.jpg

hGWYAQY.jpg

KW64s8W.jpg

We relaxed, read, swam and chatted with our fellow adventurers and even some of the people from other tours. Me and La Chica explored a little bit - there was another really nice pool (the Family Pool) that was not in use for some reason. We weren't bothered by this but the people from the other tours who were expecting an Adults Only pool made some comments about "our" boys being in "their" pool. :) I don't think anyone was really upset though and got along just fine.
We discovered a Botanical Walk that was longer than we thought but interesting even though it could've used more signage since we had no idea what we were looking at.

After showering, we made our way to dinner along candle lit paths that really set the mood for a meal in the rainforest. :goodvibes This was our Welcome dinner but we felt like we already had met each other by now so it was relaxed and comfortable.

8pNr1oE.jpg

A Flashlight is handy to have (La Chica brought one :laughing:) but you'll be fine without one too. After dinner we went for another swim and read on our porch. It was tranquil and homey. We had to be up early again tomorrow to leave for Arenal so we scheduled a "Wake Up Knock" :rotfl: for 6 am but were warned that the planes would probably wake us up before that. But it wasn't the planes that woke me up, it was the rain! :eek: About 5:30 am it poured buckets! And then the planes came right over head. lol We never did get that Wake Up Knock but we didnt need it either so no big deal.

That seems like a lot for one day, doesn't it? Well, you ain't seen nothing yet
rotfl2.gif

That seems like a lot for one day, doesn't it? Well, you ain't seen nothing yet
rotfl2.gif
[/QUOTE]

It's an ABD, itineraries designed for hyperactive 9 yr old boys, everyone else...keep up, now!:rotfl2:

Thank you again! I read your post to my daughter, she is almost 12, and it made her feel better about trying the zip lining...yeah. I really would hate for us to miss that experience, but she will be the ultimate decision maker :)
Early start tomorrow, so I need to wrap everything up and get to bed......then off on our Adventure!!!

Thank you again! I read your post to my daughter, she is almost 12, and it made her feel better about trying the zip lining...yeah. I really would hate for us to miss that experience, but she will be the ultimate decision maker :)
Early start tomorrow, so I need to wrap everything up and get to bed......then off on our Adventure!!!
Have a fabulous trip, emesmom! I'm looking forward to hearing all about it! :thumbsup2

Sayhello

Thanks goincruisin for the info on the zip line age requirements. My daughter will be 8 in two months...same scenerio you described. We came down a day early and booked an adventure zip lining tour, at the Marriott tour office, for today. My daughter can participate and she is thrilled.

The hotel is very nice and the weather is gorgeous but breezy yesterday and today.

Thanks again for the trip reports.

Thanks goincruisin for the info on the zip line age requirements. My daughter will be 8 in two months...same scenerio you described. We came down a day early and booked an adventure zip lining tour, at the Marriott tour office, for today. My daughter can participate and she is thrilled.

The hotel is very nice and the weather is gorgeous but breezy yesterday and today.

Thanks again for the trip reports.
Have a fabulous trip, soldierbot!

Sayhello

Oh wow This is so exciting! Everyone's off on their adventure! Have fun emesmom & soldierbot! Sounds like you're having the same weather we did in San Jose. Enjoy that breeze while you can :) Arriving a day early was worth it from my POV if even because the Marriott was so nice and getting to spend more time there was lovely.:lovestruc

Day Three

Up early. Had a very nice simple breakfast buffet. Then headed to the boats for our two hour :scared1: boat ride to the nearest road where we would meet the bus and our incredibly amazing driver Jorge :love: who could maneuver in between trucks and street signs with the greatest of ease :drive:

Luckily, the boat was covered this time because the day dawned hot and sunny once again.

gq5CLXw.jpg

Before we left, we spied a Rhinoceros beetle on the rafters which kept the kids occupied while people settled their accounts with the Lodge. It was HUGE!

rKCQSwB.jpg

It was a long relaxing ride. I had never really appreciated how remote the Lodge actually was until this moment. We were truly in the middle of nowhere! 2 hours just to reach the road! And then a long approx 1+ hour bus ride to our next stop. The trip by airplane to the Lodge had deceived me but I soon learned that this was truly an adventure.

Here is the bus.

eIXDMjy.jpg

Be prepared to spend a lot of time on the bus. Everything is far away, remote and we logged many many hours riding in the bus. It was comfortable but I don't think I realized how much time would be spend driving to places.

Someone suggested that this portion of the trip would've been better/faster if we were flown out of Tortuguero. I'm not sure if that would've been feasible but I'm all for anything that gives me more vacation time to enjoy.

We stopped suddenly when Fico spied this

Z0VejnO.jpg

a Jabiru stork. Fico was very excited about this. I guess they are not very common and seeing one is sort of rare. A fellow adventurer then told me about her theory for ABDs that other tours just don't have. She calls it those "Magical Disney Moments" pixiedust: As someone who had been on a few ABDs, she said she has encountered them on every trip and that this was one of them. Those moments when something could happen but probably wouldn't but Oh Look! because you happen to be on a Disney tour, we just happen to have this rare stork clear as a bell out in the middle of nowhere for your enjoyment. Almost like magic :earsgirl: At the time I wasn't sure if I believed her or not but by the end of the trip I did because this wasn't the only magical moment of the trip.

We passed a banana plantation - I just thought this was cool

sLJbQWs.jpg

And then to Rancho Roberto's for lunch. It was a nice break to the ride and the food was very good.
UppHslq.jpg

Out back there was an area for the kids to play after lunch but as you can see from the picture, the kids (and the adults) were more interested in something else ...

i96VaY2.jpg

Fico had discovered a conga line of leaf cutting ants busy at work and gave us an impromptu lesson on the societal habits of the leaf cutting ant. It was fascinating! lol Each ant has a role to play and we were lucky enough to not only see the ants hard at work but had a highly trained naturalist there to explain it all to us at the same time. This was a unique experience, for sure! :goodvibes Almost like they planned it....

nRPtmXc.jpg

pixiedust:

Next stop was the Corsicana Pineapple Plantation which was great. Our guide was entertaining as well as informative and the tour was educational and fun. So far Costa Rica has really impressed me with their level of tourist activities.

tjn0SqE.jpg

We drove through the fields to learn how pineapples are grown and then to the packing plant to see the operations. It was very interesting. Did you know that ripe pineapples float? I didn't either. :lmao:

ROpDqGc.jpg

i6ZKuKL.jpg

At the end we were treated to delicious pineapple drinks.

4kHiQec.jpg

From here we drove to Hotel Arenal Manoa which was very pretty and efficiently run. We each got beautiful rooms facing the volcano but it was soon too dark to see it.

FJ3wbNt.jpg

Yes, that's a plant in the bathroom! lol

yuU77aQ.jpg

byLsmKy.jpg

Everyone was really tired from the long day's activities and most went to their rooms after dinner to relax. La Chica and I decided to check out the resorts hot springs which were a short walk from our rooms. The roads were sort of windy and not well lit but we knew from the map if we kept to the left, that we'd get there just fine and we did. And what a delight! We had all 3 pools to ourselves. There was an older couple there but they weren't swimming. It was heaven especially after a long day. One pool was very shallow - about 6 inches deep - for soaking your feet I guess? One was a very warm hot tub/whirlpool. But the third one was just right :goodvibes It was like a heated pool and had a swim up bar. I highly recommend visiting the hot springs when you get to Hotel Arenal Manoa.

The night was still warm and humid and we planned on drying as we walked back to our room. Of course we got lost... missed a turn somewhere. We stopped to ask an employee for directions and he told us to wait one second, radioed for a van to come get us which it did in record time and delivered us safely to our door :love: This was my 2nd fav hotel of the trip. I only wish we had more "On Our Own Time" to enjoy it.

One guide told us before that facial hair on male guides were not allowed. I wonder if rules changed...

If referring to an ABD guide, it is allowed. It states on the ABD site that they must be well groomed to have them, however. I read all that stuff extensively, as I am considering a transfer to ABD next year. (Although, I don't have to worry about facial hair lol).

Just back from our trip. Wanted to just post a short comment today..I'm tired ;)

My DD and I went zip lining, and it was AWESOME. I was pretty freaked out when I saw the first "real" run, but my DD had already gone ahead, so I couldn't chicken out. I am so glad I didn't! Quite a thrill for this over 50 lady :))

Just back from our trip. Wanted to just post a short comment today..I'm tired ;)

My DD and I went zip lining, and it was AWESOME. I was pretty freaked out when I saw the first "real" run, but my DD had already gone ahead, so I couldn't chicken out. I am so glad I didn't! Quite a thrill for this over 50 lady :))
Welcome back! So glad you had a great trip! :) Can't wait to hear more. And I felt the same way when I went ziplining in Hawaii! Once you get past the first run, it's much easier. Glad you did it! (From another over 50 lady!)

Sayhello

Welcome back!:wave2: Glad you had fun. I was freaked out by the first zip run too but I have a slight height thing and thought it was just me ;) And tired - yes! It's amazing how much was packed into those few days. Not as much resting as I was counting on.

errggh I feel bad I've been so slow on this. Busy, busy, busy .. booking a cruise :rotfl2:

Speaking of zip lining...

Day 4

Up early ;) and on the bus to go ziplining in the Arenal rainforest.

This map gives you an idea of what the course looks like. Let me know if it should be bigger.

wevYvKx.jpg

Like I said earlier: 7 total lines, first two are baby lines and you can still opt out if you want on these but the 3rd is the point of no return.
You ride in open air gondola things to the top - about a 20 min ride, nice and relaxing.

WEBK2DH.jpg

6R8Mp9h.jpg

and pretty high up!

pOgVJJ9.jpg

This is the third line - the one that really means it. :scared: It was easy. I'm 50 something too and had no problems. A few of the grandparents in our group did it too although one grandparents/grandsons unit stayed back at the hotel to enjoy the pools and get some rest. :confused3 But I just say that to point out that you do have options. None of this is mandatory.

gzhX68d.jpg

But it did run late. Very late. We rushed back to the hotel to drop off the people who weren't coming to La Fortuna. La Chica, myself and 3 others went to the town with Fico to look around and hopefully take in some local culture.

It was very small but active. Easy to navigate. The center had a lovely park with some signage.

fKTfRcH.jpg

We ate lunch here based on Fico's recommendations. We enjoyed an excellent casado - a traditional Costa Rican meal of rice, beans, plantains, salad, chicken though I had vegetarian.

YKXj5Iu.jpg

Some quick shopping and we had to get back on the bus, back to the hotel. We stopped in on the Local craft demonstration being given by members of a native tribe whose name escapes me right now. Only the grandparents/grandsons unit that stayed behind during ziplining were there which was too bad because it was a nice demonstration and well presented. But I understand ... it's hard to do everything, especially with kids and the pace had been very hectic.

Back to our rooms to change for the Hidalgo Hot Springs where we soaked in progressively hotter pools while sipping tropical cocktails under the stars :love: This was a great way to end a very busy day. The kids had so much fun and the adults were able to relax, chat, rest :rotfl: Despite being together all day long, we really hadn't had time to talk to one another so it was nice to compare notes and enjoy each other's company. Dinner was very good. Definitely a highlight of the trip.

nAmfoh1.jpg

Welcome back!:wave2: Glad you had fun. I was freaked out by the first zip run too but I have a slight height thing and thought it was just me ;) And tired - yes! It's amazing how much was packed into those few days. Not as much resting as I was counting on.

errggh I feel bad I've been so slow on this. Busy, busy, busy .. booking a cruise :rotfl2:

Speaking of zip lining...

Day 4

Up early ;) and on the bus to go ziplining in the Arenal rainforest.

This map gives you an idea of what the course looks like. Let me know if it should be bigger.

Like I said earlier: 7 total lines, first two are baby lines and you can still opt out if you want on these but the 3rd is the point of no return.
You ride in open air gondola things to the top - about a 20 min ride, nice and relaxing.

and pretty high up!

This is the third line - the one that really means it. :scared: It was easy. I'm 50 something too and had no problems. A few of the grandparents in our group did it too although one grandparents/grandsons unit stayed back at the hotel to enjoy the pools and get some rest. :confused3 But I just say that to point out that you do have options. None of this is mandatory.

But it did run late. Very late. We rushed back to the hotel to drop off the people who weren't coming to La Fortuna. La Chica, myself and 3 others went to the town with Fico to look around and hopefully take in some local culture.

It was very small but active. Easy to navigate. The center had a lovely park with some signage.

We ate lunch here based on Fico's recommendations. We enjoyed an excellent casado - a traditional Costa Rican meal of rice, beans, plantains, salad, chicken though I had vegetarian.

Some quick shopping and we had to get back on the bus, back to the hotel. We stopped in on the Local craft demonstration being given by members of a native tribe whose name escapes me right now. Only the grandparents/grandsons unit that stayed behind during ziplining were there which was too bad because it was a nice demonstration and well presented. But I understand ... it's hard to do everything, especially with kids and the pace had been very hectic.

Back to our rooms to change for the Hidalgo Hot Springs where we soaked in progressively hotter pools while sipping tropical cocktails under the stars :love: This was a great way to end a very busy day. The kids had so much fun and the adults were able to relax, chat, rest :rotfl: Despite being together all day long, we really hadn't had time to talk to one another so it was nice to compare notes and enjoy each other's company. Dinner was very good. Definitely a highlight of the trip.

What was the name of the place you ate lunch? Sorry, the picture is small on my phone & I can't make out the name.

I loved the little central square area. The church with the volcano behind it, is still one of my favorite pictures we took.

Restaurante Bamboo La Casada - it was right off that center park.
Fico had pointed it out as one of the places to grab a bite and it looked promising so we took a chance. We weren't disappointed. It was the perfect lunch spot and Fico and Jorge ended up eating there too so that just confirmed it.

Can you post that picture?

Restaurante Bamboo La Casada - it was right off that center park.
Fico had pointed it out as one of the places to grab a bite and it looked promising so we took a chance. We weren't disappointed. It was the perfect lunch spot and Fico and Jorge ended up eating there too so that just confirmed it.

Can you post that picture?

The place looks familiar, I'm wondering if we ate pizza there one night. Lol Our favorite restaurant was Soda Viquez.

I'm terrible at posting photos. I've only done it once and it took a few tries. I don't remember how to do it. If you want to PM me your email, I can send it to you.

You did it! Woohoo! So glad you enjoyed your trip, hope you can share a review or some photos!
Welcome home!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter