2013 Beach and Yacht FAQ, Fun & Friends: Don't Post Here- New Thread Started

Status
Not open for further replies.
Buzzy, there is a special discount at another resort just for you...it is at the Roach Motel on Fly Drive...they have a special scent there, too...Eau -de-raid...or something. And maggots stay free!

We try not to stay a the Roach Motel because, once roaches check in they don't check out, so rooms are hard to get. I fly a lot on business so I am a member of the customer loyalty program at the Fly-it hotel chain. In the morning they have a free continental dumpster which is great for the kids. Let me tell you, we really get our moneys worth out of that dumpster! I don't know why more people don't try it when they are on vacation....

In other news we looked and looked for Suemom2kay all day yesterday at Storm Along Bay. Since we weren't sure what she looked like we kept going up to people and asking if they were her. Just between you and me the people at the pool were a little grumpy and they NEVER wanted to talk to us, but we are pretty much used to that so it doesn't bother us.

Don't worry though.... I'll be sure to look for Suemom2kay today at the pool. I'm starting to wonder if she isn't one of those women who is hiding behind a big floppy hat and a bucket of Sunken Treasure.

Signed, your friend Buzzy the Fly

OMG I'M FINALLY CAUGHT UP!!!! :woohoo:

Things are a little crazy over here. Between going through my list of everything we need for the trip, work, kids, family....my head is spinning. Next weekend my DD16s bday and we have family coming over, the following weekend is my nieces graduation party, then WDW, and back for my DS13s graduation party.

I think I am insane for having a graduation party the weekend after we return, but nothing else works out.

So back to WDW- I am packing a power strip after a tip of the limited outlets in the room and with all of the cell phones, handheld video games, etc. I loved this idea.

Any other items that would come in useful specific to the rooms at BC?

Good luck with your busy upcoming weeks!!! Life can really mess with vacation planning!

Power strip- Definitely!!!

Reading light- possibly. I believe the lights on the balcony are on a timer. I could never find a switch. I am awake very early every morning, including on vacation and it is usually still dark when I go out onto the balcony with a cup of coffee, camera and a book.

The first time at the Beach Club, I had to rig up the lamp in between the curtain and the balcony sliding door so I would have enough light to read. The next time I stayed- I brought a portable light.

Of course, this was all before the lightup Nooks and Kindles (see above comment about powerstrips)

I'm thinking about switching to GF or FWL for our 4th of July trip. I figured we could watch MK fireworks from the beach. I know DD (18 mths) can't make it through the entire day in MK on the 4th. In the past, we couldn't get in if we arrived in the afternoon. My DH camped at Ft. Wilderness as a child and has a lot of great memories. I know this is something he wants to share with our daughter. GF just happens to be the only remaining monorail resort with a room available. DH never gets involved with the Disney planning and lets me do my own thing. But this makes it all the more challenging b/c I'd really like his opinion. We'll still be at BC in June for 5 nights and YC in January for 6 nights. Am I going to regret this decision? What's the boardwalk like for the 4th? I only know the experience for the monorail resorts for the 4th and I'm afraid I'm going to be sad I don't get to see MK fireworks. Thoughts on Epcot and/or HS for the 4th. Sorry for all the ramblings. Up late working on my paper and can't get to bed yet.

Don't forget about the child care options available at Disney resorts. This might help to free you up for the fireworks viewing. The reviews indicated that the kids just love this so it's not like they are missing out so you can have fun. It's a win win for everyone!

I copy pasted this from page 1:

Sandcastle Club @ the Beach Club, Yacht Club and Beach Club Villas.
Hours: 4:30 PM to 12 midnight
Reservations: (407) WDW-DINE
Designed especially for children ages 4-12 years old.
Supervised activities including free play arcade games, Sega/Nintendo, board games, Disney movies), "play" kitchen and living room area, dolls and stuffed animals, arts and crafts, and much more!! Charge is approximately $12 USD per hour per child, with a two-hour minimum. Sandcastle Club provides a complimentary dinner for children that is available at 6:00 PM, 7:00 PM and 8:00 PM in the Club. Reservations required.

Visit the Sandcastle Open House each day from 1 PM to 3 PM for a variety of video games, toys and arts and crafts. Fun for the whole family!

Kid's Nite Out, Inc.
Kid's Nite Out caregivers can provide one-on-one in-room childcare in the comfort of a Walt Disney World® Resort room. The professional staff of Kid's Nite Out gives the child individual attention by playing a variety of fun-filled activities with him/her including reading books, coloring, or playing "I Spy" games. They can also provide a fun, well-trained sitter to just hang out with the family if they need a father's/mother's helper. Kid's Nite Out also plans and works children's parties, camps, and children's theme conventions.

So back to WDW- I am packing a power strip after a tip of the limited outlets in the room and with all of the cell phones, handheld video games, etc. I loved this idea.

Any other items that would come in useful specific to the rooms at BC?

Rolls of quarters for the laundry room machines and Dollar bills for tipping bell services etc. I also pack an additional 3 foot, 3 outlet extension cord to plug in by the bed outlet so I can keep the lap top plugged in as well as the cell phone overnight. We keep the power strip on the table for the general recharging of all the other stuff.

The other thing that's great to have and doesn't take up a lot of space is a handful of the sticky post it notes. We put a note on the back of the hotel room door to remind everyone to take:
PARK tickets and ROOM key
PHONE and now that husband got one, Camera.

These notes are also great for putting on the bathroom mirror to leave a note for the housekeeper about the need for additional towels or bath products.

They also work great for making death threats to your teens re: the need to clean up their stuff, which has feet and seems to migrate all over the room!

Happy birthday to your little guy medicgirl177! :cheer2::cake::bounce:

~NM

Hi! We are getting very excited over here about our June trip to Disney World!! So, we have a split stay with the last 7 nights at Beach Club (our longest stay yet :cloud9:). I think we will want to do laundry at least one day at the BC. Can anyone help me out with a few questions - where are the laundry rooms? can you buy detergent and if so what kind (break out in hives from some additives)? cost of one load? finally, is it crowded or what are best hrs for laundry?

Thanks so much!

Oh, we haven't made a room request yet either. We are staying CL-standard room. I wish we could have booked a garden room but there were no AP discounts for those during our time. I'm thinking of requesting a full balcony. Are there many/any full balconies for CL-standard? I like to wake up earlier then anyone else so I read and have my coffee on the balcony. A daybed would be nice since it is hard to sleep with the little kicker (7 year old boys are so active in their sleep!!) but I don't want to be greedy in my requests. If there aren't full balconies available in our category then daybed would be second.

Looking forward to a magical vacation! :wizard:

ETA: Thankyou Pixarmom for the hint about how to keep my Grey goose slushie from splashing out of the blasted shallow "glass"---Awesome!

Hope you managed to get your paper sorted :goodvibes

Thanks! It's my dissertation so I'm so tired of working on it. Ready to be done!

IMHO, it would be really nice to see the MK fireworks on July 4th from your resort, and since you have other trips to the Yacht & Beach, I can definitely see why you are considering a switch!

What will you be doing during the day? Skipping the parks and enjoying the resort? Are there some fun activities at GF or Wilderness Lodge during the day?

Let us know what you decide.

:confused3

We really want to get in/out of MK early in the morning and then just enjoy the resort on the 4th. We've decided to switch to GF to mix things up. Our goal is to stay at every resort at Disney but I just fell in love hard with YC/BC. Can't wait for our June trip!

Don't forget about the child care options available at Disney resorts. This might help to free you up for the fireworks viewing. The reviews indicated that the kids just love this so it's not like they are missing out so you can have fun. It's a win win for everyone!
~NM

Great point! I'm going to see if anything is available for our June trip and/or 4th. My parents will be traveling with us in January so we'll have at least 1 date night to enjoy the Boardwalk.

ETA: Thankyou Pixarmom for the hint about how to keep my Grey goose slushie from splashing out of the blasted shallow "glass"---Awesome!

Where's the hint? I completely missed it in the thread and I thought I read everything. I love my vodka slushie but it's hard to keep it stable.

Hi everyone! We are getting super excited for our first stay at BCV in 15 days! :cool1: I have a question that I'm guessing somebody here can answer! I apologize if it's answered somewhere already...I've done some searching but haven't found exactly what I'm looking for. Anyway, we usually buy a case of water online and have it shipped to our resort. I understand that BC is a convention resort so there is a charge. Has anyone recently shipped a case of water to BC/BCV? I'm just wondering what the actual charge is. Also has anyone sent water via USPS? Just trying to figure out my best option. Thanks for all the great info on this thread! :goodvibes

Where's the hint? I completely missed it in the thread and I thought I read everything. I love my vodka slushie but it's hard to keep it stable.

LOL! Post #14 "Other Useful Information"....the long and short of it the refillable mug. Genius :lmao:

Hi! We are getting very excited over here about our June trip to Disney World!! So, we have a split stay with the last 7 nights at Beach Club (our longest stay yet :cloud9:). I think we will want to do laundry at least one day at the BC. Can anyone help me out with a few questions - where are the laundry rooms? can you buy detergent and if so what kind (break out in hives from some additives)? cost of one load? finally, is it crowded or what are best hrs for laundry?

Thanks so much!

Oh, we haven't made a room request yet either. We are staying CL-standard room. I wish we could have booked a garden room but there were no AP discounts for those during our time. I'm thinking of requesting a full balcony. Are there many/any full balconies for CL-standard? I like to wake up earlier then anyone else so I read and have my coffee on the balcony. A daybed would be nice since it is hard to sleep with the little kicker (7 year old boys are so active in their sleep!!) but I don't want to be greedy in my requests. If there aren't full balconies in are category then daybed would be second.

Looking forward to what a magical vacation! :wizard:

:welcome:

Glad to see you have been navigating around Page 1 and have found some useful info, including the best hint of all time!!!

I'll add you to the Be Our Guest list for June. Which resort are you going to first?

:woohoo:

The good news is that most of the BC CL SV rooms have full balconies, but a handful do not. Some of the full balcony rooms have daybeds. I suggest wording your request "Full balcony, please. Daybed if possible"

:welcome:

Glad to see you have been navigating around Page 1 and have found some useful info, including the best hint of all time!!!

I'll add you to the Be Our Guest list for June. Which resort are you going to first?

:woohoo:

The good news is that most of the BC CL SV rooms have full balconies, but a handful do not. Some of the full balcony rooms have daybeds. I suggest wording your request "Full balcony, please. Daybed if possible"

Thank you! I like your wording for the request. I will call Monday and get it added.

We will be at the POP first and then move to the BC (6/11).

I'm thinking about switching to GF or FWL for our 4th of July trip. I figured we could watch MK fireworks from the beach. I know DD (18 mths) can't make it through the entire day in MK on the 4th. In the past, we couldn't get in if we arrived in the afternoon. My DH camped at Ft. Wilderness as a child and has a lot of great memories. I know this is something he wants to share with our daughter. GF just happens to be the only remaining monorail resort with a room available. DH never gets involved with the Disney planning and lets me do my own thing. But this makes it all the more challenging b/c I'd really like his opinion. We'll still be at BC in June for 5 nights and YC in January for 6 nights. Am I going to regret this decision? What's the boardwalk like for the 4th? I only know the experience for the monorail resorts for the 4th and I'm afraid I'm going to be sad I don't get to see MK fireworks. Thoughts on Epcot and/or HS for the 4th. Sorry for all the ramblings. Up late working on my paper and can't get to bed yet.

Our WDW trips have covered all four seasons, but we've not been there for the 4th. We've considered it many times, and in fact, were planning to be there for the 4th this year before we decided to move our trip up to January instead. As much as we love many WDW resorts, we'd stick with an Epcot area resort on or around the 4th - the MK area just seems too crazy at that time. But take that with a grain of salt - I'm an Epcot girl and would have planned to see Illuminations on the 4th anyway. As for MK fireworks, we'd previously planned to watch those from the Poly beach on the 3rd and then cab back to BC.

Good luck with your decision - the good news is that you can't really go wrong!

We didn't use refill mugs until 2006, and since that time, I've brought one along to the parks because: 1) I can't give up my coffee until I am about to board the first ride of the day; 2) it's useful for extra soda when you buy those gigantic ones in the park; and 3) it houses my grey goose slushie! When not in use, it sits in a ziplock bag in my little backpack. When needed, I pull it out and pour the slushie into the refill mug, insert the straw and I'm set. Super easy - especially when I was pushing a stroller with the other hand. The only negative is that it drinks really fast out of a straw in a refill mug! :)

We didn't use refill mugs until 2006, and since that time, I've brought one along to the parks because: 1) I can't give up my coffee until I am about to board the first ride of the day; 2) it's useful for extra soda when you buy those gigantic ones in the park; and 3) it houses my grey goose slushie! When not in use, it sits in a ziplock bag in my little backpack. When needed, I pull it out and pour the slushie into the refill mug, insert the straw and I'm set. Super easy - especially when I was pushing a stroller with the other hand. The only negative is that it drinks really fast out of a straw in a refill mug! :)

Well then! Maybe you need to get yourself a bigger mug!!

r2-d2-mug.jpg

"Size matters for sure when using refillable mugs. Look at me. Judge me by my size, do you? Hmm? Hmm. And well you should not. For my ally is the COFFEE, and a powerful ally it is. Life creates it, makes it grow. Its energy surrounds us and binds us. Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter. You must feel the COFFEE around you; here, between you, me, the tree, the rock, everywhere, yes. Even between the land and the ship and the toilet." - Yoda

~NM

Does anyone know what time stormalong bay is open to this time of year? I see on the first page the official hours are 10am-10pm, but change depending on time of year. My family and I will be there in 16 days (yay!!!) and I remember last time we stayed at YC in 2006 they closed it up a lot earlier than we expected, I believe it was around 8pm. We LOVE night swims so we are hoping it will stay open later this year!

Thanks!

Hi all,

We stayed at the BCV last January and I have been meaning to post pictures of our room view since then! We were in room # 555 (studio) and were so pleased with our Epcot view! I had read that the views there are not that great in general, but I really think we lucked out-- especially surprising since we didn't check in until after midnight! Cannot recommend the 5th floor enough since it also helped minimize hearing any noise below and we were close to the elevators. I've never posted pics on here before, so hopefully this works!

542DD617-FD2D-4C52-AD22-60A7915ADEB3-73376-0000149EF56BB07D_zpsecc17e8c.jpg

67362963-D652-4EA3-8ED2-9620EB9440E8-73376-0000149EDB73444B_zpsd88d7b42.jpg

8ED17883-B5D6-4BE1-89F5-52EE48BCD234-73376-0000149E881F021F_zpsb0ade6f0.jpg

ABB0F0A2-AC0E-4DCD-8305-CB85ABD005C7-73376-0000149E737F8F69_zps22034c80.jpg

E25FC807-211B-46B9-8C3C-A3734276AE0C-73376-0000149E4E8D230F_zpsfd27cbe5.jpg

Well then! Maybe you need to get yourself a bigger mug!!

"Size matters for sure when using refillable mugs. Look at me. Judge me by my size, do you? Hmm? Hmm. And well you should not. For my ally is the COFFEE, and a powerful ally it is. Life creates it, makes it grow. Its energy surrounds us and binds us. Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter. You must feel the COFFEE around you; here, between you, me, the tree, the rock, everywhere, yes. Even between the land and the ship and the toilet." - Yoda

~NM

Where did you get that awesome mug?!?!

~NM

YES!!! :lmao:

Please post a pic! And please give Mike and Lee Ann a hug for us! :hug: So happy for them! Have fun!
Sure will! We are meeting up for dinner after their cruise! Looking forward to meeting and hearing about the cruise. Dee may have to help me post pic, lol

Thanks so much!

Oh, we haven't made a room request yet either. We are staying CL-standard room. I wish we could have booked a garden room but there were no AP discounts for those during our time. I'm thinking of requesting a full balcony. Are there many/any full balconies for CL-standard? I like to wake up earlier then anyone else so I read and have my coffee on the balcony. A daybed would be nice since it is hard to sleep with the little kicker (7 year old boys are so active in their sleep!!) but I don't want to be greedy in my requests. If there aren't full balconies in are category then daybed would be second.

Looking forward to a magical vacation! :wizard:

Laundry is at the Quiet pool. We put our load in, then enjoyed quiet pool & hot tub while doing laundry. I bought my own detergent from home. I used the Purex sheets which are easy to pack. Now they have those Pods too. You can put them in one of those small Ziplock containers in your checked luggage.
I think laundry was $2.00 for wash and same for dryer.

Those mugs come in handy for smuggling those adult bevs out of the park too :p since your not allowed to take open alcohol drinks out! :rolleyes1:drinking1

Has anyone recently shipped a case of water to BC/BCV? I'm just wondering what the actual charge is. Also has anyone sent water via USPS?

If you ship FedEx or UPS, your package goes to the Yacht Club/Beach Club convention center. An outside vendor runs the office there, and they charge a handling fee. The fee is based on the weight of your package:
Up to 5 pounds: $3
5-20 pounds: $5
above 20 pounds: $10

My understanding is that if you ship USPS, your package goes first to a general receiving office at Disney World, and then goes to your hotel. I believe it does not go to the convention center. I have been told that there is a delay due to getting it from the general receiving office to your hotel. So if you are shipping that way, you have to leave extra time. How much extra time? No idea.

BCV doesn't have a check-in desk or any kind of cast member desk in its little lobby, so if you are shipping USPS your package would go to BC, not BCV. I assume Bell Services could bring it up to your villa at BCV if it's heavy. (I think you said you were staying at BCV, but I already deleted part of your post.)

If you ship FedEx or UPS, your package goes to the Yacht Club/Beach Club convention center. An outside vendor runs the office there, and they charge a handling fee. The fee is based on the weight of your package:
Up to 5 pounds: $3
5-20 pounds: $5
above 20 pounds: $10

My understanding is that if you ship USPS, your package goes first to a general receiving office at Disney World, and then goes to your hotel. I believe it does not go to the convention center. I have been told that there is a delay due to getting it from the general receiving office to your hotel. So if you are shipping that way, you have to leave extra time. How much extra time? No idea.

BCV doesn't have a check-in desk or any kind of cast member desk in its little lobby, so if you are shipping USPS your package would go to BC, not BCV. I assume Bell Services could bring it up to your villa at BCV if it's heavy. (I think you said you were staying at BCV, but I already deleted part of your post.)

Thank you! This is exactly what I was looking for! :thumbsup2

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter