2013/2014 Beach and Yacht FAQ, Fun & Friends ~ Aug, Sept, Oct, Nov, Dec & Jan ~

Status
Not open for further replies.
This may be kind of off-topic, but is there much advantage to having a rental car at BC rather than using the busses? We're doing a split stay (WL 10/25-30, BC 10/30-11/4) and were planning on using Disney transportation. However, I couldn't leave well enough alone, and kept checking on rentals. When I initially booked our trip, the rental prices were close to $500, making it an easy choice for us to use Disney transport. Prices have gone down considerably, and we can get a rental for all 11 days for less than $200 (all taxes and fees included.) I don't know which way to go now.

I was thinking that if we got the car, we would use the car primarily for visiting resorts, DTD, and just in general in case we find the buses not to our liking.

So what do you all think?

I am firmly in the no car camp. With 3 teen boys we are pretty much on different touring schedules as it is... so off site and/or only one transportation option (renting a car) will not work for us. That being said I do find that in certain circumstances there is a need to deviate from only relying on Disney transportation.

For example, the trip either to or from Downtown Disney is a disaster using Disney supplied transportation! This is generally true no matter what Disney resort you are staying at, so it's not endemic to the Yacht or Beach Club. Also, getting to a dining location situated in a different resort can also be a pain in the tuchas (i.e. a**) when having to depend on the Disney transportation system.

For these instances we have learned to utilize a CAB!

With tip, most cab rides from point A to point B on Disney property run twenty dollars or less, with the majority in the 12-15 dollar range. Depending on our plans we might have to use a cab 3 to 5 times per trip so we are talking about $100 for cabs. The convenience of this arrangement really outweighs the temptation to rent a car or leave 90 minutes before a reservation for a meal at a resort because we have to depend on Disney transportation.

Now keep in mind that there are 5 of us but we have never had a problem finding a mini van type of cab that can accommodate this number. They do have cabs of this size floating around Disney. I can't speak for what you would do if you needed car seats since my boys have not been using them for years. (Thank God for THAT! :thumbsup2 )

Here is another helpful tip concerning cabs at WDW. The preferred Cab company that is allowed to operate on WDW property is a Mears company that goes by the name of Yellow cab. I keep the number in my cell phone so I know I am calling the right company (1-407-422-2222). Most of the time you can easily find a cab departing from the lobby of any Disney hotel and there are a couple of Cab stands at Downtown Disney. When I take a cab to Walmart for my breakfast and room snacks shopping trip I call the cab company by phone to come and and pick me up when I am done shopping. On my last trip it took only 15 minutes from the time I called until the cab arrived. Sweet!

There are other cab companies that run around the Orlando/WDW area but some are disreputable and people have problems with them. The Yellow Cab company cabs are welcomed on Disney property so I don't have to worry if I've gotten in a 'gypsy' cab and face the possibility of getting ripped off.

I've pretty much found the buses to and from Disney resorts to the parks not to be a problem. The thing that I find ironic is that even if you take a car to the parks, chances are you will find yourself on some sort of a tram or boat or monorail to get to the parking lot where you will then have to hoof it to your car. Using the combination of buses to the parks and cabs to other resorts or to go one of the ways to Downtown Disney has proven to be the most convenient for my family and our touring needs. As they say, your mileage may vary!

Good luck with your planning. pixiedust:

~NM

That said, we will probably not stay here again. Each of us said on different days, and for different reasons, that we preferred other resorts. Great resort, but not our favorite.

Nor should it be everyone's favorite. Think how crowded that would be!

I have several favorites but Y&BC is home. Thanks for the review.

Here is another helpful tip concerning cabs at WDW. The preferred Cab company that is allowed to operate on WDW property is a Mears company that goes by the name of Yellow cab. I keep the number in my cell phone so I know I am calling the right company (1-407-422-2222).

~NM

Ninja Mom - Thanks for providing the cab phone number. I'm going to add it to my cell phone contacts now, while I think of it.

Although I will say this -

A few years ago, I had a sort-of emergency (idiot woman drove through a red light and smashed into my car, I was fine but standing on the side of the road with a car that couldn't be driven). My cell phone key pad wasn't working right, but I could make a call using my contacts. That's when I realized that I hadn't put people in as contacts if I knew their land line phone numbers by heart. So the people I most wanted to call were the ones I couldn't call.

So what numbers were saved in my cell phone as contacts?

Three pizza parlors in the Orlando area.

Also Owner's Locker, DVC Member Services and Tiffany Towncar.

Not real helpful when you're stranded on the side of the road in your home town, but I'm ready for anything when I'm at Disney World.

I have some catching up to do- but recent or current guests- any reports about how well (or not) the Rapid Refill Mug program is working?

Likes? Dislikes? What could be done better or improve the program?

Thanks!

pages 45-50

Thanks so much to everyone who welcomed Ben! :grouphug: He has wanted to write a trip report since we returned in July, but was stuck on a title.

Can't believe it is almost time for our all girls trip 9/21-9/28 staying at my favorite resort the Beach Club. And to top it off, it is my mom's first trip to Disney which will make it even better! Hoping for an awesome trip full of pixie dust and special memories for her first time to Disney and the Beach Club!!

:welcome:

I don't have you on the Be Our Guest list on Page 1 so I will add you.

:cool1:

Hi, I'm Sandy. I really was going to read the whole thread before asking questions, but I'm starting to stress out. (My trip is still over a year away.) I was pricing for end of Sept 2014. Is it possible for the hotel to be full. I kind of know my dates (Sept 21-27). I'm noticing that standard views are unavailable. We just decided to change resorts on Sunday from spending two weeks at CBR to a week at CB. I won't have the vacation time but have been budgeting more to cover the lost week.

Bumping your question. I doubt that the resort is full for September, but I suppose it is possible that standard views are all booked. Are you looking at regular rooms or club level rooms. You could always book a room that is available and continue to look for openings in the room category you really want.

Let us know if you book!

:goodvibes

We're heading to YC in October, and I have a question about room preferences.
I went to do online check in, but the website did not have the options for what I want (high floor, close to lobby). Their options for requests were ground floor, low floor, high floor and close to transportation.

Should I call the hotel directly before we arrive and log my requests there?

Or do the buses load directly outside of the lobby (making 'close to transportation' and 'close to lobby' basically the same)?

Thanks YC vets!

Cannot wait until we go!

I will add you to the Be Our Guest list for October.

:woohoo:

Yes, as others have responded, close to transportation is close to lobby.

You should call Disney's Central Reservations Office to put your requests there in addition to on-line checkin to further indicate what you want.

Big news!!! We were going to cruise on Disney in October but Bob this afternoon just said, "let's cruise to Hawaii instead." Three hours later, I had it all booked and Southwest Airlines has a super sale and we're only paying $139 each way to San Diego. Found a nice hotel near the pier and booked that. It offers free transportation from airport and then to ship the next day. I can't believe I'm going to Hawaii. We fly out on November 20th and back on December 6th so we'll be having Turkey Day on the ship.

That is AWESOME!!!

:banana::banana::banana:

So we will not be able to make our annual July trip:worried: ... but it is for an awesome reason

So yesterday I was asked if I wanted to go on my school's trip to Spain/France in July:) It is a small group of 30 excellent students. We are going to go to Paris, Madrid, and Barcelona. The price was an unbelievable deal. They also said my DH could come for a slightly higher price. It is my DH's dream to go to Paris and I have always wanted Spain. We actually priced a trip like this out before and it was thousands more

I am sad about missing out on WDW but we are still going for F&W . We cancelled our Christmas trip but I am hoping to sneak in a Feb or April break trip so we get more out of that AP:rotfl:... We will see if finances permit:confused3
I am going to tutor on the side when my coaching season is done to get me there:thumbsup2

Had to share with my BC/YC friends. I am so excited to go to Europe.

So we will not be able to make our annual July trip:worried: ... but it is for an awesome reason

So yesterday I was asked if I wanted to go on my school's trip to Spain/France in July:) It is a small group of 30 excellent students. We are going to go to Paris, Madrid, and Barcelona. The price was an unbelievable deal. They also said my DH could come for a slightly higher price. It is my DH's dream to go to Paris and I have always wanted Spain. We actually priced a trip like this out before and it was thousands more

I am sad about missing out on WDW but we are still going for F&W . We cancelled our Christmas trip but I am hoping to sneak in a Feb or April break trip so we get more out of that AP:rotfl:... We will see if finances permit:confused3
I am going to tutor on the side when my coaching season is done to get me there:thumbsup2

well, if you have to miss going to WDW, this sounds like a pretty good reason. and going to places you have always wanted to go...bonus. :yay:

That is superb, Couchy! You can always do BC/WDW another time, but a Euro trip with high school students sounds great

Well, we enjoyed our visit at Beach Club - stayed for 10 days in August. A few comments:

* We experienced great customer service from everyone the entire time that we were there.
* We loved the theme, had a room near the elevator, full balcony, etc.
* We loved the pool, though all of us are too old for the slide.
* We loved Cape May Cafe, and being so near Beaches n Cream.
* Loved running every morning on the Boardwalk and back/forth to DHS.

That said, we will probably not stay here again. Each of us said on different days, and for different reasons, that we preferred other resorts. Great resort, but not our favorite.

Glad you enjoyed your stay! What resorts do you prefer over BC? I always threaten to not stay YC but can't seem to break away!!!!! Always thought GF would be close seconds?

Hi, I'm Sandy. I really was going to read the whole thread before asking questions, but I'm starting to stress out. (My trip is still over a year away.) I was pricing for end of Sept 2014. Is it possible for the hotel to be full. I kind of know my dates (Sept 21-27). I'm noticing that standard views are unavailable. We just decided to change resorts on Sunday from spending two weeks at CBR to a week at CB. I won't have the vacation time but have been budgeting more to cover the lost week.

I run into this every year trying to book YC. I think they block off SV and GV rooms for conferences and once the conference attendees know their dates they release rooms. Happens to be every year. I am currently booked BC CL GV b/c I could not get YC GV for June 2014. By March YC GV will open up for June. maybe even earlier...ARe you trying to book YC by chance?

Glad you enjoyed your stay! What resorts do you prefer over BC? I always threaten to not stay YC but can't seem to break away!!!!! Always thought GF would be close seconds?

We love the Grand ... it's definitely #2. We may go there next summer instead of the BC with Princess Lily. Their pool is very nice but can't compare to SAB. With Lily being so young, I think being back on the monorail will be fun and she loves boat rides so we can alternate ... one day use the monorail to MK, the next day use the boat.

It's a whole different feel. Doesn't feel like "home" but it definitely is very magical and special.

This may be kind of off-topic, but is there much advantage to having a rental car at BC rather than using the busses? We're doing a split stay (WL 10/25-30, BC 10/30-11/4) and were planning on using Disney transportation. However, I couldn't leave well enough alone, and kept checking on rentals. When I initially booked our trip, the rental prices were close to $500, making it an easy choice for us to use Disney transport. Prices have gone down considerably, and we can get a rental for all 11 days for less than $200 (all taxes and fees included.) I don't know which way to go now.

I was thinking that if we got the car, we would use the car primarily for visiting resorts, DTD, and just in general in case we find the buses not to our liking.

So what do you all think?

Go for the car. For the reasons you mentioned above and to be able to drive yourself from the airport- saves time!!! And you can then stop at a store on the way and get some water, etc. :)

We love the Grand ... it's definitely #2. We may go there next summer instead of the BC with Princess Lily. Their pool is very nice but can't compare to SAB. With Lily being so young, I think being back on the monorail will be fun and she loves boat rides so we can alternate ... one day use the monorail to MK, the next day use the boat.

It's a whole different feel. Doesn't feel like "home" but it definitely is very magical and special.

When our kids were little we always stayed at the Grand. On our first trip our ds (who was 3 at the time) thought the monorail WAS a ride! SAB is fantastic but Grand has a new cute little kids "Mad Hatter/Alice in Wonderland" area that I bet Lily will love too. Best of both worlds - one year BC, one year GF! Don't forget that the Grand has The Basin right there too - I know how you love their soaps!

Can't wait to hear all about your Hawaiian adventure - now that's MY dream vacation!

I have some catching up to do- but recent or current guests- any reports about how well (or not) the Rapid Refill Mug program is working?

Likes? Dislikes? What could be done better or improve the program?

Thanks!

We were at the BC just as the new mugs started. We only purchased 2 mugs for the kids, since we had water and other beverages delivered from Garden Grocer. My 14 yr old son said he had no problems with the mugs at the Marketplace. However, when I went a couple of times I couldn't get the machine on the right to work. I set the mug on the platform under the dispenser, pushed the button-nothing. I moved it around the platform & kept pushing the button to dispense the pop and still nothing. I moved over to the other machine and it worked just fine. Could of been operator error?? :rotfl2: We purchased the mugs on Aug 25th and the machine said refills good until Sept 9th.

I always think about your liking the GF pool....thinking of renting DVC at GFV for 2 nights to just SEE it and then check into BC/YC for the rest of the week. Good compromise I think. I have tried AK, BW, OKW, SS, but BC YC always is my HOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What a great trip!! That will be awesome!:cool1::cool1:

finally, finally, finally I get to join in the single digits dance. I thought it would never get here. :banana::yay::cheer2::cool1:

:banana::banana::banana:

I love Paris!! I hope you have a great vacation. You can always return to WDW the next year but a European vacation is definitely something you should do.:goodvibes

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter