2012 Top 20 Large Cruise Ships

Status
Not open for further replies.

jfs9900

DCL
Condé Nast posted the top 20 large cruise ships for 2012 - and the list was a bit surprising - The Magic is #1, the Dream & Wonder both tied with Celebrity Eclipse for the #2 spot.

I wouldn't have been surprised at all to find the Dream high on this list - it's a brand new ship - but for the classic Disney Magic to out rank the Dream; and every other large ship is quite an accomplishment.

Wonder how they determine the specific ranking...

I am surprised to hear that. I love the Magic but wouldn't rate it as the "largest ".

Sorry... I guess I read it wrong... it is ranked #1 in the top 20 of large ships and not ranked as largest.

I agree... the Magic is awesome !:)

The Magic may be older and not have all the bells and whistles but it has fantastic service!

Condé Nast posted the top 20 large cruise ships for 2012 - and the list was a bit surprising - The Magic is #1, the Dream & Wonder both tied with Celebrity Eclipse for the #2 spot.

I wouldn't have been surprised at all to find the Dream high on this list - it's a brand new ship - but for the classic Disney Magic to out rank the Dream; and every other large ship is quite an accomplishment.

Wonder how they determine the specific ranking...
i personally don't care for a 4-5K passenger ship. Too crowded. The Magic never felt packed, and other than character meets, the lines weren't overly long for anything. Except the first show, Twice Charmed.

Being the newest doesn't equate to being a top ship.

Reassuring to see others share my opinion of DCL. This is why DCL continues to fill ships and command higher prices. I'm not surprised to see a few cruise lines conspicuously missing from the list. I will bookmark this survey for the DCL vs. xyz threads. And the "is DCL really worth more than xyz?" threads.

Reassuring to see others share my opinion of DCL. This is why DCL continues to fill ships and command higher prices. I'm not surprised to see a few cruise lines conspicuously missing from the list. I will bookmark this survey for the DCL vs. xyz threads. And the "is DCL really worth more than xyz?" threads.

:thumbsup2

I've actually referenced past polls showing that Disney is ranked higher in those threads only to be told that the polls are biased and based on advertising revenues. :confused3

Will this quiet all those folks who come on here and talk about Carnival being awesome and better than Disney? No.

I've actually referenced past polls showing that Disney is ranked higher in those threads only to be told that the polls are biased and based on advertising revenues. :confused3

Yeah, I know. I guess some people have made up their mind that other/cheaper lines are just as good and so have to rationalize away facts and data.

I have nothing against other lines and we have sailed other cruise lines but Disney simply does it better IMO.

One more comment on this. These scores are interesting especially the food category. It seems like most of the Princess and Royal Caribbean ships have food scores in the 70's. Celebrity, Cunard, and Disney all scored in the 80's for food.

I wonder what the lower ranked boats are scoring that did not make this list. I don't know that I would want to eat on a ship that got a score lower than 70 in food.

Will this quiet all those folks who come on here and talk about Carnival being awesome and better than Disney? No.

I looked up one of the Carnival ships out of Tampa for the inside staterooms lowest category and showed it to my daughter and she ran out of the room screaming noooooo that ship was the same age as the Magic.

We don't mind paying extra for DCL because we save to go on vacation and want what we preceive as the best quality.

Actually, readers who receive an e-mail from Conde Nast rate the ships (also hotels, etc.) on annual polls. They ask that you only rate the ships you have actually sailed on.:thumbsup2:thumbsup2

Actually, readers who receive an e-mail from Conde Nast rate the ships (also hotels, etc.) on annual polls. They ask that you only rate the ships you have actually sailed on.:thumbsup2:thumbsup2

I know that and you know that but people still argue that the survey is biased for some reason. I think I read they had 24,000 people respond to thir survey. But there are people who like to argue other cruise lines are 'just as good but cheaper'. Cheaper yes, but according to 24,000 people, not as good.

Hey! My dad got that a long time ago and he voted for the Magic. :goodvibes Of course he has only sailed on the Magic but has the Wonder booked.

Well, you can color me confused, because Conde Nast's November 2011 Top 100 cruise ships listed the Magic, Wonder and Dream in the "Medium" size cruise ship category.

Did the Magic and Wonder GROW??? :confused3

I'm not even sure the Dream and Fantasy truly qualify as "Large" compared to the mega-ships.

Yeah, I know. I guess some people have made up their mind that other/cheaper lines are just as good and so have to rationalize away facts and data.

I have nothing against other lines and we have sailed other cruise lines but Disney simply does it better IMO.

One more comment on this. These scores are interesting especially the food category. It seems like most of the Princess and Royal Caribbean ships have food scores in the 70's. Celebrity, Cunard, and Disney all scored in the 80's for food.

I wonder what the lower ranked boats are scoring that did not make this list. I don't know that I would want to eat on a ship that got a score lower than 70 in food.

A poll is not the same thing as a FACT. It's just yet another OPINION.

Everyone is going to have different opinions, it's what makes the world go 'round.

The food ratings are opinion....it's not like these are public health scores. Geesh.

Food is entirely subjective. For example, I hate "fancy" food...with strange sauces and weird fungi and other unidentifiable ingredients....but I have several very dear friends who are true "foodies" and scoff at my choice of a plain chicken breast. I'm not wrong, they're not wrong.....we're both doing what is right for us.

So lay off the "I'm going to bookmark this...."
In the grand scheme of things, does it really matter??:confused3:sad2::sad2:

A poll is not the same thing as a FACT. It's just yet another OPINION.

Everyone is going to have different opinions, it's what makes the world go 'round.

The food ratings are opinion....it's not like these are public health scores. Geesh.

Food is entirely subjective. For example, I hate "fancy" food...with strange sauces and weird fungi and other unidentifiable ingredients....but I have several very dear friends who are true "foodies" and scoff at my choice of a plain chicken breast. I'm not wrong, they're not wrong.....we're both doing what is right for us.

So lay off the "I'm going to bookmark this...." In the grand scheme of things, does it really matter??:confused3:sad2::sad2:

Here's a fact for ya, when 24,000 people were polled by Traveler magazine, the majority of them ranked DCL's Magic as the best overall large cruise ship.

And too late, I already book marked it.

Here's a fact for ya, when 24,000 people were polled by Traveler magazine, the majority of them ranked DCL's Magic as the best overall large cruise ship.

And too late, I already book marked it.

Well, if we are taking Readers' polls as fact, then we need to include the Cruise Critic 2012 Cruisers Choice Awards results. Cruise Critic has a membership of close to 400,000 members. Disney's ranking is...?

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/cruiserschoice_index.cfm?category=Overall&sort=large

Do we only accept the Conde Nast results because they are more favorable to Disney than the CC Cruisers' Choice? :confused3

We need to bookmark the CC poll for when posters are saying how bad the other cruise lines are compared to Disney. :lmao:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter