2012? No Problem...but when?

THANKS D~ I was actually about to send you a message to find out those site you had posted earlier!

I am going crazy with it though. According to the serial number it is from 1928...but the model it appears to be is from the 1930's....a 99-13. I KNOW what I am doing today! This is just what I need...another addicting hobby!

LOL

Nini

Here's the highlights of your machine... With in this, it tells you a bunch of highlights about your machine... You have an amazing one! :)

http://blog.sew-classic.com/2008/11/06/singer-99-sewing-machine-review.aspx

And I found the manual for you Nini...

http://www.sew-classic.com/uploads/99K.pdf

It looks like a gorgeous machine. :lovestruc

Here's the highlights of your machine... With in this, it tells you a bunch of highlights about your machine... You have an amazing one! :)

http://blog.sew-classic.com/2008/11/06/singer-99-sewing-machine-review.aspx

And I found the manual for you Nini...

http://www.sew-classic.com/uploads/99K.pdf

It looks like a gorgeous machine. :lovestruc

LOL...I actually had already found both of those..and printed out the manual ...all 56 pages!

I put a few drops of oil on the moving parts...just for good measure. Gave the hand crank a good turn....and it is so smooth! I was amazed at how well it moves. The tire on the bobbin winder is a bit dry...but it moves exceptionally well too!

My very old trusty cleaning toothbrush and some WD 40 are getting acquainted with it right now. When I get a bit braver I will take some more of the parts apart. Right now I have only taken apart those items I KNOW I can put back without trouble (but I did take pictures before....just in case!)

I'm really upset that the pictures have not gotten to the computer yet...I emailed them to me a loooooong time ago. Funny...I can email pictures to a different state and they get there in a few minutes...I email them from the studio to the livingroom and it takes HOURS! (I am not a patient person!!)

Back to do some more research on the best way to clean some more...and to make my shopping list. Luckily I already have a new bottle of lemon oil for the bent wood cabinet. That is one of the few Thanksgiving chores I have finished...all the old wood pieces have been oiled. (I'm not allowed to call them antiques...they are just old...not quite 100 years yet.although...I think my china cabinet is from the 20's so it is almost antique!)

Nini

A couple more hours of cleaning my old machine has shown me a couple of things. One...it is going to take FOREVER to finish it! Two..it already looks TONS better than the before pictures!
And...three... the pictures I had wanted to post are STILL not showing up! I might go ahead and post one to Facebook (hopefully) an see if it will at least upload there.

The pictures I took with the camera are in mid cleaning...they are so I can put the thing back together right. I have already found three major screws that are stripped. Not sure if hubby will be able to loosen them for me or not. Since he won't be off again for several days, I'm thinking it may be a while before those get loosened.

And last...it definitely has to be rewired! The wire coming out of the motor is only being held together by the insulation from the wire! YIKES!

Now, to clean up the mess so I can get back to sewing...

Nini

Ok...I have a couple of HORRIBLE before pictures...

This is the machine I learned to sew on. It was my mom's and I have no idea where she got it. In the 60's, when she got a new machine, she gave me her old one. When I moved out, I bought a new machine and left this one at her house to take care of for me (seems I have a lot of stuff like that in my house that my kids have asked me to hold onto for them!)

This first one will show the bentwood cover...in really bad shape from all its years of neglect!

Next is the machine with its cover off...again, horrible neglect!

And lastly is a picture of the poor bobbin area. Don't worry, it already look a hundred times better!

Nini

A couple more hours of cleaning my old machine has shown me a couple of things. One...it is going to take FOREVER to finish it! Two..it already looks TONS better than the before pictures!
And...three... the pictures I had wanted to post are STILL not showing up! I might go ahead and post one to Facebook (hopefully) an see if it will at least upload there.

The pictures I took with the camera are in mid cleaning...they are so I can put the thing back together right. I have already found three major screws that are stripped. Not sure if hubby will be able to loosen them for me or not. Since he won't be off again for several days, I'm thinking it may be a while before those get loosened.

And last...it definitely has to be rewired! The wire coming out of the motor is only being held together by the insulation from the wire! YIKES!

Now, to clean up the mess so I can get back to sewing...

Nini

Liquid Wrench will work miracles loosening those screws - trust me... When I redid Patience - I needed lots of LW and Patience. LOL

Ok...I have a couple of HORRIBLE before pictures...

This is the machine I learned to sew on. It was my mom's and I have no idea where she got it. In the 60's, when she got a new machine, she gave me her old one. When I moved out, I bought a new machine and left this one at her house to take care of for me (seems I have a lot of stuff like that in my house that my kids have asked me to hold onto for them!)

This first one will show the bentwood cover...in really bad shape from all its years of neglect!

Next is the machine with its cover off...again, horrible neglect!

And lastly is a picture of the poor bobbin area. Don't worry, it already look a hundred times better!

Nini

First of all - I am so glad you took pictures... You (and everyone else) is going to love looking at all of them when you are done.

Second - take LOTS of pictures of the tension, so you can get it back together again. I usually take a picture of every single piece as I take it apart, then when I put it back together, I just thumb through my pictures on my camera, and I know excatly how to do it.

Third - I've ordered lots of parts from Sew-Classic... I highly recommend her - she has the best selection, and she has them grouped in her store by machine - so you know you are ordering the right parts. She also takes PayPal. And she ships really fast.

I am so excited Nini - now I have a restoration buddy. :lovestruc

D~

I think I have taken about 150 pictures so far....I took pictures of screws that were hard to get to or find...tried to take a picture with the screwdriver actually touching the screw. (I have found that sometimes I have problems remembering exactly which hole the screw came from).

It threw me for a while, I had trouble finding the bobbin casing. Then it dawned on me...it did not have a bobbin casing. That was before they started using them. The bobbin just drops in and there is a lever to push the bobbin out.

It is really exciting to be working on this. Now I just need to find someone who knows how to rewire it for me...

I have managed to get one of my quilts 90% pieced today. I just need to decide on a border. I mis calculated just a bit and it is a bit too short. A nice 5 inch border will do just nicely. Then I found a quilt top I had started for me and never finished. I think it will do nicely for one of the other quilts I need for Christmas. This will cut my work down considerably!

Yes, that was me blasting Christmas music as I was sewing...I was sewing Christmas presents after all!

Eventually I will get back to Disney planning, but since Mr D is at his older brother's house today I thought I would take advantage of the free time and see how much work I could get done!

Nini

I am debating Christmas music for later. I ant to wrap some things too

I know, I am really in the mood for Christmas... I haven't started playing Christmas music yet - but soon... really, really soon. LOL

D~

Nini - how did the rest of your machine go yesterday?

D~

Well,

It is looking a LOT better! Most (about 90%) of the surface dirt and grime is off. With those two screws that I couldn't get out (at least right now); and the fact that I need to have the whole motor rewired...has put me in a bit of a stand still right now.

I know it would be possible to leave the de-construction where it is and just finish cleaning the parts I have managed to take off and put it back together, but I know that the parts that will stay uncleaned will always bother me! I also know that I will not be able to get anything else de-constructed or repaired until after the first of the year.

I am determined to not have this become another one of my famous UFOs (unfinished objects), but I did move it from my sewing table so I could work on the quilts yesterday afternoon.

It is already looking so much better than it did when I first opened it up! Of course, the bentwood cover is giving me fits. I let my DD give it a good oiling yesterday. It looks better, but is obvious that the wood has discolored a bit too much for just an oiling to help much. I caught her just before she grabbed the sand paper! It has several paint spatters from when I painted my room as a teenager. I doubt those will be coming off. In order to get them off, the Singer decal will have to come off the case.

I was really lucky that the medallion shined up with just a cleaning...I did not use brasso. (which I had planned on using!)

So, for the next few weeks it will live under my quilting table with all the little baggies filed away...

Nini

Can't wait to see it when you are done. I too had shelve some things I want to do.

Once I close my scrapbooking business it will get easier I think.

Can't wait to see it when you are done. I too had shelve some things I want to do.

Once I close my scrapbooking business it will get easier I think.

Don't count on it! LOL!
My experience has shown that every time I stop one activity in hopes of getting more time for things I want to do, another activity rears its ugly head!

At the beginning of the school year I was wondering what I would do with all my time. I even thought of getting a part time job. Now, I am home schooling one and being after school care for my grand daughter! No free time here!

Nini

Well,

It is looking a LOT better! Most (about 90%) of the surface dirt and grime is off. With those two screws that I couldn't get out (at least right now); and the fact that I need to have the whole motor rewired...has put me in a bit of a stand still right now.

I know it would be possible to leave the de-construction where it is and just finish cleaning the parts I have managed to take off and put it back together, but I know that the parts that will stay uncleaned will always bother me! I also know that I will not be able to get anything else de-constructed or repaired until after the first of the year.

I am determined to not have this become another one of my famous UFOs (unfinished objects), but I did move it from my sewing table so I could work on the quilts yesterday afternoon.

It is already looking so much better than it did when I first opened it up! Of course, the bentwood cover is giving me fits. I let my DD give it a good oiling yesterday. It looks better, but is obvious that the wood has discolored a bit too much for just an oiling to help much. I caught her just before she grabbed the sand paper! It has several paint spatters from when I painted my room as a teenager. I doubt those will be coming off. In order to get them off, the Singer decal will have to come off the case.

I was really lucky that the medallion shined up with just a cleaning...I did not use brasso. (which I had planned on using!)

So, for the next few weeks it will live under my quilting table with all the little baggies filed away...

Nini

I know, that in one of those websites I sent you - there is a tutorial for a non-toxic way to refinish wood... not sure about the paint splatters though... I'm sure it adds character - and you'll never forget the exact color of your bedroom as a teenager. :thumbsup2

I wish I could help you loosen those screws... I know what you mean about leaving part of it uncleaned. I hope you are able to find someone to rewire it for you. I know that on the sew-classic website, she has a lot of the wiring mechanisms all set to go, you just plug them in. Will any of those work for your machine? I ordered one yesterday for Mr. Rocket... DH wanted to put a new plug on him- just to be safe - but he just doesn't have the time, it was so muhc easier just to order a whole new cord, then all he has to do is wire it to the foot pedal (have I told you how much I LOVE the old Singer foot pedals???).

D~

Since I posted so much about the little sewing machine D~ has convinced me to restore, I thought I'd post a bit about my own little spot known as my studio.

I was looking for a picture of the old studio, but all I can find are pictures of the studio in progress of moving from the bonus room to the basement.

See, originally it was a tv room, then I moved my sewing machine up there, the computer, and slowly it turned into my own little cave. When I decided to buy a 12 foot quilting table and long arm quilter, well, the fact that the room was only 14 foot long and barely wide enough to hold the table, it became obvious it was going to be too small.

I was lucky enough to have a relative giving away a quilt machine. It was a tad bit smaller than I wanted, but it was free! Since it was only 10 feet, and a mid arm, I thought it would work there. For about 3 years it did fine. I used it as an ironing table by putting a padded top on it, I used it as a storage spot for the fabric of what ever project I was working on, and it basically hung out in the middle of the room.

Here is an extremely messy picture of what it looked like in the middle of the move. I think it will give you an idea of the size of the room and the size of the table!

As you can see...it is very messy at this point!

I finally decided to move it to the basement apartment that was made for my mom. Her apartment had one bedroom, a kitchen/living room combo and a nice bathroom. The rest of the basement includes a nice office for my husband and a large storage room.

Here is a picture of the new studio after a full day of moving things down...with the help of my son and daughter in law, and my daughter and son in law.

This is the quilter's new home.

Here is the sewing station and new computer area.

One last shot of my serger and its new home on the treadle machine.

No, it doesn't look quite like this any more. Most of the fabric is now stored in the cabinets of the kitchen. I have several over the door shoe organizers that hold most of my scraps for applique, and I now have an embroidery machine. The sewing station is now a nice flat surface covering all the odd pieces of furniture and is covered in mod poged fabric.

One of these days I will clean the studio up again and take some pictures of the way it looks now...it actually has curtains up...a la Minnie Mouse of course!

Nini

I love it Nini! What a difference space makes!

And I totally get the heebeejeebies seeing your modern serger on top of your treadle... LOL

D~

I love it Nini! What a difference space makes!

And I totally get the heebeejeebies seeing your modern serger on top of your treadle... LOL

D~

Space is wonderful, but I still need more (better) storage!

+++++++++++++++

So, now I would like to post a few pictures of the clothes we have worn to Disney. Before I start, let me preface it with I have been sewing my whole life. My grandmother made wedding dresses for a Department store in Nashville when I was little and then moved to one in Birmingham when we moved to Alabama int he early 50's. When the department store started selling only things made in a 'sweat shop' my grandmother started making clothes at home. My first memories of summer vacation were learning the right way to rip seams. (yes, evidently there is a right way and a wrong way!) My mother sewed all her own clothes as a girl (next to the oldest of 10) and all my clothes were hand made until I was a teenager...and then at least half were, but they were made by me.

Somewhere along the way I forgot about sewing for fun, and went off to other crafts. I finally came back to sewing (in a form anyway) with the birth of my third child. I started quilting. I loved quilting. It became my new passion. Occasionally I would make an outfit for my oldest daughter, but primarily I quilted.

When we were planning our trip to Disney in 2008, I discovered the Dis boards. From there I saw the fabulous iron on shirts the DISigners were sending out...I was hooked! I made two shirts for each day of our trip. They were quick and easy and looked great...for one wearing. Even when I bought the expensive transfers, I was never completely happy with the results after washing.

I had lurked on the Disboutiquer thread for a few weeks before the trip and liked the appliques shirts, but never got around to actually making one.

Then our trip in 2009 made me want to make more shirts...but the iron on shirts were vetoed by everyone! So I started reading the Disboutiquers thread almost religiously! I made a couple of simple Mickey head appliqued shirts and was pleasantly surprised at how well they turned out. Then I decided the girls needed matching dresses for dinner. That started the obsession!

Anyway, my sewing skills were seriously lacking at this point...following patterns was not exactly something I did well! I liked the straight lines of quilting much better. When I look at the first dresses I made I shudder. (And we won't talk about how I now feel about those first 'hand done' appliques! LOL)

So, here are a couple pictures of the dresses/shirts that I made for that trip in 2009...

6319901921_6e28d7c449.jpg
[/url] 087 by ninimorris, on Flickr[/IMG]

6320417580_68dbe32214.jpg
[/url] 028 by ninimorris, on Flickr[/IMG]

6320415248_06ba40c300.jpg
[/url] 024 by ninimorris, on Flickr[/IMG]

6320410052_8fb143023f.jpg
[/url] 002 by ninimorris, on Flickr[/IMG]

See... I told you they weren't great...but they were a start. I am now 100% obsessed with making clothes for our Disney trips!

Stay tuned for some outfits from our 2010 trip!

Nini

You need to give yourself more credit Nini!!! I think the outfits are adorable - yes you've come a long way - but the outfits are still adorable! :)

D~

Unbelievable!

Just spent an hour typing out my next installment...and on wrong flick of the mouse nd it is all gone!!!

Sorry, next installment will have to wait until the morning!

Nini

Nini I absolutely love your room.

Also your customs are totally fabulous.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter