2012 Marathon/2011 Princess Half Marathon Weekend Trip Report! 8/21 - 2013 TRAINING!

Ariel484

DIS Veteran
Hello Disboards! Welcome to the story of my Princess Half Marathon and Full Marathon Weekends...and my first Disboards trip report! :goodvibes

Edited 4/18: So, I'm lame. I realized throughout this report that I refer to the 2011 Princess Half a lot, and from the beginning I should have posted that race report first. So this is going to become a hybrid of the 2 trips, and I'm going to put the breaks on the marathon portion, do the entire Princess Half portion first, and then re-start the marathon portion.

Yep...I am lame. Forgive me?

Anyhoo, the 2011 Princess Half Cast:

IMG_2085.jpg

L-R My husband Will (25 at the time), me (Shannon, 26 at the time), my mom, and my brother, Craig (24 at the time, and dubbed Princess Craiggy princess: for the weekend!) This was the trip where I was bitten by the runDisney bug :lovestruc

The 2012 WDW Marathon Weekend Cast:

IMG_5183.jpg

That would be mom (Kriss), my brother (Craig, aka Princes Craiggy, 25) and me (Shannon, 27).

This was my 6th trip to WDW and 3rd trip in the last 12 months…lucky me! :cool1:

So yeah, sorry for the confusion. Let's be friends? :)

2011 Princess Half Marathon
2012 Walt Disney World Marathon

Table of Contents

Switching Gears...
How I've Already Messed Up My First DisBoards Report

princess: 2011 Princess Half Marathon princess:

Thursday, February 24
BOO SNOW

Friday, February 25
Arriving and Checking In

Saturday, February 26
A Morning in Hollywood
2011 Disney's Princess Half Marathon Expo
Post-Expo Recovery
Pre-Race Prep!

Sunday, February 27
PRINCESS HALF MARATHON! Training Plan, Start and Mile 1
PRINCESS HALF MARATHON! Miles 2-5
PRINCESS HALF MARATHON! Miles 6-8
PRINCESS HALF MARATHON! Miles 9-12
PRINCESS HALF MARATHON! Finish Line and Post-Race
Race Recovery Begins
Post-Race Lunch
DtD/Epcot
Dinner and an Evening in the Magic Kingdom

Monday, February 28
A Morning With The Animals
Heigh-ho, heigh-ho, it's off to Camp we go!
TTFN, Animal Kingdom.
Kona!
Final Thoughts

:mickeyjum 2012 Walt Disney World Marathon :mickeyjum

Friday, January 6
First, some background...
Arriving and Checking In
Nighttime at the Studios

Saturday, January 7
Exploring the Villas
2012 Walt Disney World Marathon Expo, Part 1
2012 Walt Disney World Marathon Expo, Part 2
A solo trip no more!
Oh, that's right...we have a race tomorrow!

Sunday, January 8
WALT DISNEY WORLD MARATHON! Start and Mile 1
WALT DISNEY WORLD MARATHON! Miles 2-5
WALT DISNEY WORLD MARATHON! Miles 6-9
WALT DISNEY WORLD MARATHON! Mile 10...the Magic Kingdom! Part 1
WALT DISNEY WORLD MARATHON! Miles 10 & 11...the Magic Kingdom! Part 2
WALT DISNEY WORLD MARATHON! Miles 12 & 13...GREATEST CHARACTER MEET EVER???
WALT DISNEY WORLD MARATHON! Miles 14-16
WALT DISNEY WORLD MARATHON! Miles 17-20
WALT DISNEY WORLD MARATHON! Miles 21-24
WALT DISNEY WORLD MARATHON! To the Finish Line!
Marathon Aftermath
Dinner and the Magic Kingdom!

Monday, January 9
Character Love!
THIEF!
Meeting the Mice!
Now It's Time To Say Goodbye...
Final Thoughts (Non-Race)
Final Thoughts (Race)

:goofy: 2013 Marathon Weekend Training Journal/Pre-Trip Report! :goofy:
In Training: Marathon Weekend 2013 (Dopey Challenge)!

:tiptoe: Running (not at Disney...BOO!) :tiptoe:

Mini-Goofy Challenge: A Record-Breaking Weekend!
2012 Cleveland Half Marathon!

Sorry about your run of bad luck...we are currently planning a Disney trip in November and we are wait listed for the BCV but now I'm second guessing it.:confused3 Can't wait to hear more, keep it coming. :thumbsup2

Sorry about your run of bad luck...we are currently planning a Disney trip in November and we are wait listed for the BCV but now I'm second guessing it.:confused3 Can't wait to hear more, keep it coming. :thumbsup2

Aw thanks. Like I said, nothing truly terrible happened, it was just all at once. Blech!

Why are you second-guessing BCV? I hope it's not because I was less than enthusiastic about my room. I really did like the resort itself - the common areas were really nice, I loved having a counter service option (something I was not used to, since we've stay at the Boardwalk so much), and let's face it, you just can't beat being able to walk to Epcot in 5 minutes! :woohoo: I really think the BCV decor was just not my cup of tea, and having the handicap-accessible room was a bit of a downer just because I felt like it lacked storage. But if you truly want to try out BCV, don't count it out. Overall I liked it and want to try the Villas again (and the resort side for the first time)...ESPECIALLY since I never got to experience the pool! :eek: I took pictures but never swam. How lame am I to stay at BCV and not take advantage of Stormalong Bay??? :scared1:

Thanks for commenting, I really appreciate it! :goodvibes

P.S. Gotta add, LOVE the avatar! :woohoo:

Can't wait to read more. We were at Disney in November, and I took the same picture of the window display!

Can't wait to read more. We were at Disney in November, and I took the same picture of the window display!

Hey, thanks! Isn't that window display just the cutest thing?? I love how they sort of do leg kicks :cutie:

Aw thanks. Like I said, nothing truly terrible happened, it was just all at once. Blech!

Why are you second-guessing BCV? I hope it's not because I was less than enthusiastic about my room. I really did like the resort itself - the common areas were really nice, I loved having a counter service option (something I was not used to, since we've stay at the Boardwalk so much), and let's face it, you just can't beat being able to walk to Epcot in 5 minutes! :woohoo: I really think the BCV decor was just not my cup of tea, and having the handicap-accessible room was a bit of a downer just because I felt like it lacked storage. But if you truly want to try out BCV, don't count it out. Overall I liked it and want to try the Villas again (and the resort side for the first time)...ESPECIALLY since I never got to experience the pool! :eek: I took pictures but never swam. How lame am I to stay at BCV and not take advantage of Stormalong Bay??? :scared1:

Thanks for commenting, I really appreciate it! :goodvibes

P.S. Gotta add, LOVE the avatar! :woohoo:

Well yeah, lol. No, I mean we have been back and forth on resorts but reviews like this does make me second guess. The pool looks amazing and the slide looks like a lot of fun.

And no problem, it sucks after a couple posts and no one has commented. You wonder if it's because you just suck at writing TR's (at least that's what i start thinking, lol:rotfl:).

Oh and thanks my DH made it for me the avatar :lovestruc

I'm really enjoying your trip report! We were in Disney World in December a couple of years ago and I loved being around all the Christmas decorations. DH and I plan on running the half marathon in 2013 so I'm looking forward to reading more!

Well yeah, lol. No, I mean we have been back and forth on resorts but reviews like this does make me second guess. The pool looks amazing and the slide looks like a lot of fun.

And no problem, it sucks after a couple posts and no one has commented. You wonder if it's because you just suck at writing TR's (at least that's what i start thinking, lol:rotfl:).

Oh and thanks my DH made it for me the avatar :lovestruc

What other resorts are you looking at for October? I really think the only thing I didn't like about Beach was the room, specifically the lack of storage and the decor, which I thought was a little dark. :confused3 I'm not sure if it's like that in all of the villas rooms. Here's a picture of a studio we stayed at in the Boardwalk in June 2011 (with cameo from the husband :lovestruc)...I liked this decor better:

IMG_3665.JPG

IMG_3667.JPG

Of course, those pictures are automatically going to look brighter than the room at Beach since the Boardwalk pictures were taken during the day, where the Beach ones were taken at night (I just realized I don't have any pictures of the Beach room in daylight :rolleyes:). But yeah, everything else at Beach - location, common areas, etc. was fine. I can't comment on mousekeeping since they didn't come while I was there.

Yeah, I know what you mean about not getting comments right away! :rotfl: I hope my report doesn't suck!

I'm really enjoying your trip report! We were in Disney World in December a couple of years ago and I loved being around all the Christmas decorations. DH and I plan on running the half marathon in 2013 so I'm looking forward to reading more!

Thanks! I love the Christmas decorations too...Disney really goes all out. :goodvibes I'm one of those babies that really gets the blues when Christmas is over, so it was really a treat to go to Disney and see their stuff still up.

How fun that you're going to run the half with your husband! :) Are you training together too? After 2 years of prodding, my husband (a non-runner) has promised to someday run a Disney half with me now that he is healthy again. YAY! :yay:

Last night I realized that I have a bunch of Princess Half pictures sitting around from 2011, so why not share them? So I am going to do a mini-report within this one on the Princess Half...you and your husband might be interested since the Princess Half course is the same as the WDW Half course.

Switching Gears...How I've Already Messed Up My First Disboards Trip Report

:guilty: :guilty: :guilty:

So the marathon report is already written, and throughout I found myself frequently referring to the 2011 Princess Half (comparing the expos, characters on the course, etc.). At some points I realized I should have posted the Princess Half report first, but by then I'd already started the marathon portion. :headache: So I'm going to switch gears and post the Princess Half stuff first, then re-post the marathon stuff I've already put up, and then do the rest of the marathon report.

SORRY! I am lame. Forgive me? :hug:

Beginning of 2011 Princess Half Marathon Report
Beginning of 2012 Walt Disney Marathon Report

princess: 2011 Princess Half Marathon princess:

Mmmkay, so like I said, I'm switching gears and am going to report on the 2011 Princess Half first! Hooray for talking about things chronologically! :yay:

Day 0 (I guess?): Thursday, February 24, 2011 - BOO SNOW

I'm a really obsessive planner and had been waiting for this trip for almost a year. If I remember correctly, 2010’s Princess Half was the first weekend in March I think, and for whatever reason they decided to move it up a week for 2011. I was very pleased with this schedule change for 2 big reasons: 1. Will wouldn’t have been able to come otherwise. One of his duties at school is coaching tennis, so he would have had to stay home for the start of the season, and 2. I got to escape the last few days of my own personal hell: February in Ohio.

I mean seriously, who wouldn’t want to flee this for some Florida sunshine?!

IMG_2033.JPG

But evil February wasn’t going to let me go that easily. While sitting in the cube farm at work in the weeks leading up to the trip, I began to hear disturbing noises. Sniffling. Phlegm-y hacking. Blowing of noses. Constant throat clearing. Horror of horrors! Everyone around me was sick! :eek: And these weren’t even the worst cases…apparently there was some gnarly flu going around that struck a good number of people in my department. All I could do was hide in my cube and try to avoid contact with the walking zombies around me. Even poor Will was hit – not with the flu luckily, but he did stay home from work the Wednesday before we left with a small head cold.

Somehow I made it to Thursday without being infected. In your face, sickness! That morning I was in my cube, typing away and happily dreaming of WDW, when I got The Email:

Please note that Cleveland is expecting up to 9” of snow on top of 2” of ice on Friday, 2/25/11…

Not exactly ideal flying conditions…this made me very nervous that our flight would be delayed, or worse canceled. In my mind I could hear February laughing cruelly…I was still in its clutches. Son of a %$*&#. :mad:

The weather was pretty decent when I got home (I think the snow was due to start the next morning around 4AM), good enough for me to get my last training run in (a 2-miler). Will and I began to pack up and by the time we went to bed, it had started to rain a bit. I said a silent prayer that things would go smoothly the next day and was out like a light…last sleep before WDW! :yay:

Continued in Next Post

Day 1: Friday, February 25, 2011 - Arriving and Checking In.

Our departure day was filled with a bit of drama. It started at 5:30 AM with Will getting the call that every teacher hopes and dreams of – snow day! :yay: However that’s not what you want to hear with a flight scheduled later on that day…hmm. My first thought after the call was that I wished we’d had an earlier flight since Will’s work schedule no longer mattered, but it turned out to be good that we didn’t – all the earlier flights had been canceled for the day.

Anyhoo, I had the day off as well, so we decided to divide and conquer – Will stayed home taking care of some last-minute stuff (cleaned up a bit, packed, etc.) while I ran out to buy race-day breakfast and drop the Monster-pup off at doggy camp around noon. Here he (Archie) is, all packed and ready for camp…hasn’t quite realized that he’s going yet:

IMG_2038.JPG

But now he knows! And he’s very excited.

IMG_2039.JPG

We decided to tempt fate by not snow blowing, and I almost got stuck in the driveway after taking Archie to camp. I got my errands done, but the roads were slick and the snow was still falling heavily. When I came home, I actually did get stuck in the driveway, so we dug the car out, snow blowed, and decided we’d leave for the airport (30 minutes away) at 2:30, even though our flight was not until about 5:30 (and was not delayed! :cool1:). We just were not sure how quickly the roads would be cleared.

The snow stopped at 2PM. At 2:20 I got a call from my mom that she and my brother had arrived and checked in at Riverside! Cue jealousy. She said the room was great and they were on their way to Animal Kingdom (or as she called it, "The Africa Thingy"). I asked what building they were in – while making the reservation I requested 14 or 15, and that Will and I be in the same building as Mom and Craig – and she said Oak Manor. Not what I requested, but just as good of a location - I really hoped we were there too.

Back up here in the Arctic, we finished up the packing and relaxed a bit. In the weeks leading up to this trip I had a few disturbing dreams – one involving me getting to Florida and realizing I’d forgotten my running shoes, another with me meeting my first character on the race course only to discover that my camera battery wasn’t charged…horrors. :sad: I was not taking any chances when it came to packing, and double- and triple-checked that I had all of my race day essentials.

We left home around 2:50 and made it to the airport in one piece (the roads were almost bone dry by then – well done, snow plowers!) and got on our flight – we’d be flying to Nashville and then connecting to Orlando. The plane took off about 10 minutes late…we were incredibly lucky that it wasn’t delayed more than that.

Funny story about that flight: our ticket said take-off was at 5:25 and landing was at 6:05. Okay, so a 40-minute flight, and then we’d catch our connector at 7:10. So imagine our horror when it was announced first that the flight would be 1 hour, 18 minutes long…then 1 hour, 30 minutes long! :scared1: What was going on here? We were going to miss our connector! I began to think really, REALLY mean things about Southwest – why would they book it this way? Why did the ticket say the flight was 40 minutes when it really wasn’t? – and Will tried to calm me down, but I was so incredibly stressed at this point. We’d been worrying all day that the flight would be delayed, and then it wasn’t, but now this was happening. We told the flight attendant our problem, and she assured us we’d have “plenty of time.” Whaaa? Surely there was someone else on the plane in the same situation – why was no one else freaking out? Eventually we began to wonder if we were changing time zones by flying into Nashville…but the ticket didn’t mention time zones (i.e. our flight took off at 5:25, not 5:25 EST), so we were stumped. When we landed, I turned on my phone. The time flashed as 7:10…then quickly changed to 6:10. Sure enough, we HAD changed time zones and would, as the flight attendant said, have plenty of time to make our connector. :headache: D’oh! And then, of course, when we made it to our next gate we found that our connecting flight was delayed by an hour anyway. Lovely. :rolleyes:

We suddenly found ourselves with a lot of time on our hands, so we walked around the Nashville airport a bit.

IMG_2043.JPG

I just can’t quit you, Starbucks. (I know, I know, who takes pictures at Starbucks? I was trying to figure out how to work my new camera. :angel:)

IMG_2046.JPG

Will finally found a Fantasy Baseball magazine! (He’d looked for one in the Cleveland airport with no luck.)

IMG_2048.JPG

Will studied up and occasionally commented on whether or not he agreed with the magazine’s rankings and what they said about the state of baseball today (when Jhonny Peralta is the 13th-best shortstop, you know something’s wrong). I decided to call my mom to check in, and to tell her about our time zone snafu (I still feel really stupid about that , but it’s sort of funny looking back on it). She said they went to Animal Kingdom “the africa thingy” and “did everything.” I needed more details than that! What did they like/not like? What attractions did they go on? The update was that they enjoyed lunch at Flame Tree barbecue and did not get on the Safari (the last one ran at 5:30 and they were too late). My brother did not go on Everest (he thought the line was too long), and they did not “do the Captain Nemo show.” From what I can gather, they pretty much just walked around and looked at stuff, and that was all the detail I got. :confused3 My mom said she liked it and compared it to Sea World, but when she says Sea World, she means the Sea World that used to be in Aurora, Ohio – not the one in Orlando. I’ve never been to the one in Orlando, but from what I hear the one we had in Aurora was nowhere near as awesome as the Orlando one is. Hmm.

Anyhoo, we boarded our flight and took off a little later than expected, around 8:40 CST and finally landed in Orlando at around 11:15 (EST!). :yay: We headed to baggage claim, which took quite awhile, and then tried to find our way to the Magical Express area. We couldn’t figure out where the signs pointing us to the DME check-in were – turns out we were in the wrong terminal.

Finally, we made it to the Magical Express area around midnight.

IMG_2064.jpg

We were only in line for a bus for about 5 minutes, and then were led to the door. The Cast Member was saying “Riverside only!” and I stupidly thought that meant we’d be leaving soon. This was not the case – we waited for about 25 minutes before taking off. The day was starting to catch up to Will, who looked like he was about to collapse (I guess he never got back to sleep after the snow day call). He almost fell asleep on the bus, but then the Welcome video started to play...you know, the one where parents surprise their kids with a trip to Disney. A montage of excited, screaming children. Not great if you want to sleep. I thought Will was going to cry.

After the welcome video, they started playing an old Donald Duck short, “Donald’s Vacation,” which featured him delivering the lines “No respect for the human body” and “Am I mortified” with complete disgust. Loved it! It perked Will right up.

The ride was shorter than I remembered, about 35 minutes (maybe because there was no traffic so late), and I think Riverside was the first stop after our favorite, the Boardwalk. :lovestruc Check-in was quick and Riverside came through for us – we were in Oak Manor, 3 doors down from Mom and Craig!

We finally got in our room around 1:30 AM:

IMG_2066.JPG

IMG_2070.jpg

This was our first stay in a moderate. I thought the room was fine, but Will was surprised that we got 2 double beds – oops! We also weren’t impressed with the shower – low water pressure and the bottom of the tub was pretty slippery. Other than that we liked it though – the location was great, the grounds were beautiful, and we had great luck with buses.

We finally went to bed around 2AM…almost 12 hours after leaving home. But at least we were finally in Disney! :dance3:

Continued in Next Post

Day 2: Saturday, February 26, 2011 - A Morning in Hollywood

Our first full day in Disney! :yay:

We got up at about 6:30…just a little over 4 hours of sleep. I was hoping to be on a bus to Hollywood Studios by 7:30, but everyone was dragging a bit. Get a move on people, we're in Disney!

We made it to Riverside Mill around 7:30 for breakfast…I got a muffin and a banana, and everyone else got the Power Wrap – turkey sausage, egg whites, tomato pesto and some other delicious stuff on a spinach wrap (no pics, sorry). I thought the wrap was pretty tasty!

We caught a bus to Hollywood Studios for Extra Magic Hours, arriving about 10 minutes after opening. My and Will’s first stop was to Guest Relations to activate our first-ever annual passes! Woohoo!

IMG_2059.JPG

Toy Story Midway Mania was next on the list…it was almost a walk-on. The line was just long enough that we could take in the whole queue, but was moving the entire time, so it wasn’t like we were waiting forever. Yay!

IMG_2072.JPG

For all intents and purposes, this was my mom and brother's first trip. Last time my mom was at Disney was August '95...same for my brother except for a day trip to the Magic Kingdom earlier that year. So I was determined to make sure they had a great time, and this was a great way to start the day…we all had a blast.

Next up was my and Will’s favorite…Tower of Terror! :dance3:

IMG_2075.JPG

On the bus ride over to the Studios, Will caught sight of the scaffolding on ToT and was very concerned – was the ride still operational?...YES! Whew.

A 10-minute wait? Fine by me!

IMG_2078.JPG

We walked through the queue and right into the library. Woohoo! This ride was excellent…after multiple drops we saw the silhouettes of the 5 characters from the pre-show and thought for sure that the ride was over, only to be launched up once again! Love it.

IMG_2079.JPG

Our last attraction at Hollywood Studios was Rock ‘n’ Rollercoaster. Mom elected to sit it out, so Will, my brother and I headed over to the single rider line and were in our limos in less than 5 minutes!

IMG_2082.JPG

This picture reminds me that I should note that the weather was perfect...sunny, mid-80s and no rain. Beautiful.

By then it was about 9:45…we needed to get over to the race expo, which was due to open in 15 minutes, so we began to make our way out of the park.

IMG_2085.jpg

(Despite evidence to the contrary, it was not ESPN: The Weekend).

IMG_2087.jpg

Continued in Next Post

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter