2012 Hilton Head Thread-Tips, Tricks, Roll Call..

Never heard of HArris Teeter, what is it?

HT is more of an "upscale" grocery store (something like Safeway, if you are familiar with them). There are many in our area, but I can't really tell you how their prices compare as we do not shop there.

I wish they would put a Costco at HHI. The closest one is in Charleston. A Wegman's would be nice too. :)

mickeyplanner said:
Did you buy groceries while on your trip? If so where at?

I prefer Publix. That's where I do most of my grocery shopping at home and when we go to Florida. Piggly Wiggly is fine if we only need a few things, but if I need food for more than a couple of days I will take the extra time to drive to Publix.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

ssawka said:
I wish they would put a Costco at HHI. The closest one is in Charleston. A Wegman's would be nice too. :)

I went to a Wegman's last summer for the first time while on a road trip up north and was very impressed! A Wegman's on HHI would be fantastic.

HT is more of an "upscale" grocery store (something like Safeway, if you are familiar with them). There are many in our area, but I can't really tell you how their prices compare as we do not shop there.

I prefer Publix. That's where I do most of my grocery shopping at home and when we go to Florida. Piggly Wiggly is fine if we only need a few things, but if I need food for more than a couple of days I will take the extra time to drive to Publix.

I went to a Wegman's last summer for the first time while on a road trip up north and was very impressed! A Wegman's on HHI would be fantastic.

Thank you all for sharing your experiences with all these grocers, we don't have any of them in PA.

We always shop at Publix. I look at their ad online ahead of time because then you know what items are on sale (the have alot of BOGO). Fresh Market is "fun" store, some prices very reasonable....some not so much. You can check out their ad online also.

We always shop at Publix. I look at their ad online ahead of time because then you know what items are on sale (the have alot of BOGO). Fresh Market is "fun" store, some prices very reasonable....some not so much. You can check out their ad online also.

Awesome tip about checking their ad online first. In PA, ads for grocery stores usually run Thursday-Wednesday. Does anyone know if that is how ads run in SC?

So is everyone ready for the weather to start warming up? We wish we we're heading back to HHI this summer, but as expected most of the summer is already booked up... If anyone heading down soon could check and see if Gabby and Joey are still working at the pool and recreation rental area that would be cool. We had so much fun with them, we're hoping that they stick around until we can make it back!! :D

Awesome tip about checking their ad online first. In PA, ads for grocery stores usually run Thursday-Wednesday. Does anyone know if that is how ads run in SC?

this is the link to the click and shop. for the piggly wiggly at shelter cove
the closet grocery store to the resort.
It's NOT the ad. you ca actually do your shopping online, then just go pick it up and pay. you're in and out in about 15 min. and anyone who has tried to grocery shop here during season on Sat, Sun or wed is a NIGHTMARE! So the pig has started this new thing where you go to the site and shop online. you can also look at the ad for the week.
Publix and harris teeter are nice too. Teeter is hard to get to from the resort plus it is more expensive. Publix and The Pig are pretty equal. Publix has the better bakery and bigger store but higher prices too. Plus the pig is about two blocks away from te resort.
the best one on the island price wise is Bi Lo on mathews but brands r hit and miss and stay away from a brand called Southern Home.
when we go on vacation I cook simple and I want good stuff so, I go to the pig for produce deli( boars head), sodas ( MR Pig soda is GREAT!) and best of all, the liquor store next door has the lowest prices on the island!
In Nov. I used the click and shop, ran in and got the grocery, next door for the booze and we were back at the room in under and hour!

http://shop.mywebgrocer.com/shop.aspx?strid=80FC1607

its is the closet grocery store to Hilton Head Dis Resort

So is everyone ready for the weather to start warming up? We wish we we're heading back to HHI this summer, but as expected most of the summer is already booked up... If anyone heading down soon could check and see if Gabby and Joey are still working at the pool and recreation rental area that would be cool. We had so much fun with them, we're hoping that they stick around until we can make it back!! :D

Just met and talked to Gabby. What a sweet heart! She plans on being here for the summer and Joey is now only working the week ends.
I let Gabby read this post and she remembers you and says to say HI. She looks forward to you and your families visit.

Thanks for sharing with her. She was wonderful with our kids. Maybe because she led our first ever Campfire, but the way she animated the story our kids just loved her. And our littlest Emily adored Joey. I wish we could've made it down this summer since our Disney trip got canceled, but alas there is 0 availability. Which after being there I understand why, the resort is small and quaint.

this is the link to the click and shop. for the piggly wiggly at shelter cove
the closet grocery store to the resort.
It's NOT the ad. you ca actually do your shopping online, then just go pick it up and pay. you're in and out in about 15 min. and anyone who has tried to grocery shop here during season on Sat, Sun or wed is a NIGHTMARE! So the pig has started this new thing where you go to the site and shop online. you can also look at the ad for the week.
Publix and harris teeter are nice too. Teeter is hard to get to from the resort plus it is more expensive. Publix and The Pig are pretty equal. Publix has the better bakery and bigger store but higher prices too. Plus the pig is about two blocks away from te resort.
the best one on the island price wise is Bi Lo on mathews but brands r hit and miss and stay away from a brand called Southern Home.
when we go on vacation I cook simple and I want good stuff so, I go to the pig for produce deli( boars head), sodas ( MR Pig soda is GREAT!) and best of all, the liquor store next door has the lowest prices on the island!
In Nov. I used the click and shop, ran in and got the grocery, next door for the booze and we were back at the room in under and hour!

http://shop.mywebgrocer.com/shop.aspx?strid=80FC1607

THank you I am going to check it out. I am debating if we should do our shopping on Sunday morning before we head over to the island before 11am or just do the click and pay at the Pig. What would you recommend?

Wine and Spirit Shop (three stores down from the Pig)
32 Shelter Cove Ln, Hilton Head Isle, SC 29928
Phone:(843) 785-2277

We were invited to a somewhat semi formal dinner last night and wanted to bring a couple of "better" bottles of wine. Not only does this place have a adequate selection of spirits they also have a wine room I think is called the "candy room" with nice wines stored and displayed properly. When our host inquired where we had acquired our wines and we mention this store, they all agreed that this was "the place" to go. The women that works there is fairly knowledgeable and is also very friendly and courteous. Highly recommended.

THank you I am going to check it out. I am debating if we should do our shopping on Sunday morning before we head over to the island before 11am or just do the click and pay at the Pig. What would you recommend?

there is a PIG in bluffton right off 278 as well I think, also a publix and a target. not sure that target is grocery... the piggly store in Bluffton is MUCH bigger and newer, and on Sunday, before 11am I'd say do what you feel like doing, as long as you're at the store early enough, OR ya know, we buy one of those cheap coolers too sometimes and leave at the room when we leave.
'the best, rofl. In fact there is a publix in orlando that offers it and I use that when we go to Disney there!
when on vacation, I know I'm going to have to go shopping at least once, I'd rather it be at the outlet mall than the darn grocery store! :yay:

This fall there will be a grocery even closer to the resort. The Shelter Cove Mall has been purchased by Kroger and the north end of the exiting mall has already been demolished. Kroger will have a superstore there along with the exsiting Belk and a couple of other stores plus more to be named. They are also adding a high end apartment complex (although that will be a later project).

There is a second Piggly Wiggly down near Coligny Plaza just off of Pope Avenue about 3 miles from the resort. At this time, we prefer the newly opened Harris Teeter for their selection of meats, fish and produce as compared to the Pig, but some items are priced a little better at the Pig. We are anxious to see how Kroger compares. Many here are thinking Piggly will struggle when a brand new and larger competitor moves in "next door".

Here is a link to information about the new Mall plans. This is located about 1/2 mile from the Resort - New Shelter Cove Mall

This fall there will be a grocery even closer to the resort. The Shelter Cove Mall has been purchased by Kroger and the north end of the exiting mall has already been demolished. Kroger will have a superstore there along with the exsiting Belk and a couple of other stores plus more to be named. They are also adding a high end apartment complex (although that will be a later project).

There is a second Piggly Wiggly down near Coligny Plaza just off of Pope Avenue about 3 miles from the resort. At this time, we prefer the newly opened Harris Teeter for their selection of meats, fish and produce as compared to the Pig, but some items are priced a little better at the Pig. We are anxious to see how Kroger compares. Many here are thinking Piggly will struggle when a brand new and larger competitor moves in "next door".

Here is a link to information about the new Mall plans. This is located about 1/2 mile from the Resort - New Shelter Cove Mall

yeah, Kroger is across the street from the pig so it is about 500 ft closer to Dis resort. I am not a fan of Kroger, and they seem to be somehow bullying folks here... not sure as rumors are just starting. but you're right, I think the Pig will struggle, except it is so popular here! and I think one of big money kroger guys must live here and has there fingers in the politics of the island... but more on that later. it could be a god story! LOL> They have just now started and opening is now set for Jan or Feb 2014.
one thing people are talking about are the new jobs it could provide as most jobs here are seasonal.
The Harris Teeter is right outside my plantations gate. I'd g hungry before I'd shop there. They do not treat their employees well, and there stuff is WAY overpriced! I either shop Pig, Bi lo, ( on Mathews at the round about) or Publx and if you've never had Publix fried chicken, you NEED to try it! LOL

wanted to tell you. there is a new eatery over behind Bilo, off Mathews, there is several places back there. One is Oreily's... a nice pub. there is a Asian resterant too, and then there is this litte hole in the wall of a sports bar called Street Meat... or maybe meet street??? I think its street meat, like the carts on the streets of every big city across the nation.
ANYWAY, great food AND RESONABLE! i AM IN NO WAY CONNECTED WITH THIS PLACE EXCEPT i EAT THERE LIKE ONCE A WEEK! SINCE WE FOUND IT.My HUSBAND HAD A FEW STICHES, WE LEFT THE ER LATE AND HUNGRY AND THE STAFF TOLD US ABOUT THIS PLACE...
anyway here's the website and menu, not a bad item on here and I have had many personally! (oh nuts, sorry for the cap lock)

http://www.hhimarketing.com/streetmeet/

... The Harris Teeter is right outside my plantations gate. I'd g hungry before I'd shop there. They do not treat their employees well, and there stuff is WAY overpriced! I either shop Pig, Bi lo, ( on Mathews at the round about) or Publx and if you've never had Publix fried chicken, you NEED to try it! LOL

We'll just have to agree to disagree about the PIG then. Harris Teeter has MUCH better pricing on seafood and meats as well as MUCH better quality. In our experience, they are similar to Fresh Market in quality, but much cheaper especially if you are a member of their eVIC club (for what we enjoy, they are far less costly than the PIG where we also have a club card).

Bi-Lo is a great store - very clean and organized with wide aisles and prices are OK, but still not as good a selection for seafood and meat in our experience. Publix, IMO, is similar to Piggly in quality and cleanliness. Maybe its just the times we've been there.

We go to HT weekly for our grocery needs and make the run to Piggly when we are short on some non-essential item (eggs, juice, milk, beer - well, beer is often an essential, but their beer pricing is consistently good at PIG). HT has a much better wine selection and often offers a 20% discount on 12 bottle lots. We also get an additional 5% off of grocery items on Thursdays just for being old! ;)

Sounds as though you're in Sea Pines! :)

there is a PIG in bluffton right off 278 as well I think, also a publix and a target. not sure that target is grocery... the piggly store in Bluffton is MUCH bigger and newer, and on Sunday, before 11am I'd say do what you feel like doing, as long as you're at the store early enough, OR ya know, we buy one of those cheap coolers too sometimes and leave at the room when we leave.
'the best, rofl. In fact there is a publix in orlando that offers it and I use that when we go to Disney there!
when on vacation, I know I'm going to have to go shopping at least once, I'd rather it be at the outlet mall than the darn grocery store! :yay:

Sounds like they won't hold your food like at WDW while you wait for your room to be ready at HHI? I guess we will have to look into buying a cheap cooler for our perishable food.

I love Target, that would be awesome if they sold groceries at the one in Bluffton.

Quote WebMasterDoc: "Harris Teeter has MUCH better pricing on seafood and meats as well as MUCH better quality. In our experience, they are similar to Fresh Market in quality, but much cheaper especially if you are a member of their eVIC club (for what we enjoy, they are far less costly than the PIG where we also have a club card)."

Just got back from here. Very nice. Totally agree.

By the way, Doc, the girls in the shop said to say "HI". Especially Dottie, she asked when your next visit is?

We will be headed down for the first time March 29-April 5th. I wondered if we rented bikes for the week, if we could bike to the beach?

Also, anyone done the dolphin tour with Captain Scott? Even with DVC discount, it is still $36 per person..no cheaper price for kids. Worth it?

One last question.. my oldest turns 13 while we are there. Any MUST do restaurants?

Thanks!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter