2012 Beach and Yacht FAQ ~ March, April and May ~Do Not Post Here-Old Thread

Any way, I was really happy until I was reading a review ( on a different site) that said that the YC/BC was NOT a good choice for your first stay on Disney property?? I'm hoping you people can reassure me that I made the right choice?

Andona
We are here at our first stay (at BC) and it's awesome! As other posters have said, the only thing wrong is that it will spoil you for other resorts.

Feckless- I wonder if the CL CMs would email the schedule to you while you are there or to me if you gave them my email?

Enjoy your day! Look forward to hearing more.

I will ask today!

And as for my first mission, I just tasted the oatmeal without toppings (took one for the team!) and can report that it is UNSWEETENED.

I am hanging in the CL Lounge right now while the family sleeps off our almost 24 hour adventure. We got to bed about 11 (12:30 our time when my kids are asleep usually by 9) after about 2 or 3 hours of "too excited to sleep" the night before, 2 three-hour flights and running around airports and a 2 a.m. rise. Commando much??? LOL.

This resort is HUGE. Still getting our bearings... After SAB yesterday, the kids went on ahead of DH and got back to the room fine. DH (usually the navigator) got turned around and ended up on the 5th floor of the YACHT CLUB with a BC CL key!!! LMAO!!! Luckily we are staying in 5667 and there is no 5667 at the YC or else he would have tried to break into someone's room! He said a maintenance worker saw his yellow key and thought it wasn't working and made the elevator work for him. :rotfl: He is no longer holder of the map. :rotfl2:

We are here at our first stay (at BC) and it's awesome! As other posters have said, the only thing wrong is that it will spoil you for other resorts.

I will ask today!

And as for my first mission, I just tasted the oatmeal without toppings (took one for the team!) and can report that it is UNSWEETENED.

I am hanging in the CL Lounge right now while the family sleeps off our almost 24 hour adventure. We got to bed about 11 (12:30 our time when my kids are asleep usually by 9) after about 2 or 3 hours of "too excited to sleep" the night before, 2 three-hour flights and running around airports and a 2 a.m. rise. Commando much??? LOL.

This resort is HUGE. Still getting our bearings... After SAB yesterday, the kids went on ahead of DH and got back to the room fine. DH (usually the navigator) got turned around and ended up on the 5th floor of the YACHT CLUB with a BC CL key!!! LMAO!!! Luckily we are staying in 5667 and there is no 5667 at the YC or else he would have tried to break into someone's room! He said a maintenance worker saw his yellow key and thought it wasn't working and made the elevator work for him. :rotfl: He is no longer holder of the map. :rotfl2:

:lmao: My DH is NEVER the leader when it comes to navigating!!! What is it about some men??? I do hope the kids are still sleeping......sounds like they are in for a very filled vacation.:lmao:

So glad you are enjoying the resort. Now go get some more coffee and keep us posted

Feckless Thank you for your live reports! We still have over 4 months to wait and your reports are getting me more and more excited!

Sounds like you have a couple of great kids there! ::yes::

Enjoy!

Feckless- Thank you for the updates, it is making me more and more excited about my upcoming trip. Have fun!

Thank you to everyone for letting me know I picked the right resort! I am now totally happy about our upcoming stay. :)

Only a short visit on this trip as we are just stopping by for a few days in Orlando as part of a long road trip. We'll be there 9/18 - 9/20 . Hoping for low crowds :thumbsup2

Thanks again for the warm welcome
Andona

Feckless, thanks so much for the great report on your first day! I'm having a lousy week and just can't wait to get there so you transported me to my happy place for a few minutes! Have a great day!

Feckless - Congratulations on the pixie dust! Thanks for your report - it sounds as if you are all having a magical time. Heck getting the kids not to fight would be magical for me ANYTIME!

Pixarmom - Yes what is going on with the AP discounts? For years it was always AP before GP - who knows?????

Dee - I lucked out with the first four - they didn't need braces. We never though dd would need them ever - to look at her her teeth look great. Her problem (as I understand it) is that since she's already gone through puberty the fact that her canine teeth are still impacted is what's causing all the problems.

After I calmed down yesterday DH and I talked about it and decided if the "really good" discount came out we would still upgrade to CL as it would probably break even with the breakfasts and drinks. It's just daunting to me though - we already were just getting used to the higher high school tuition payments and now this!

Teena - have a wonderful time visiting with your little princess. Enjoy it all now because before you know it she'll be a teenager -:scared1::scared1:

I'm only kidding with you because we were just lookin at pictures of her first two Disney trips with the younger kids when they were 3, 4 and 5 and it seems like just yesterday.

Hi!
I chose the YC because our 2 favorite parks are EPCOT and DHS,and the pool looks amazing . My DH likes a bit of peace and quiet, I love a balcony and DS is not remotely into characters so I thought the YC was a better choice for us than the BC.

Any way, I was really happy until I was reading a review ( on a different site) that said that the YC/BC was NOT a good choice for your first stay on Disney property?? I'm hoping you people can reassure me that I made the right choice?

Andona -- Our first stay ever at WDW was at the YC (for many of the same reasons you mention). It sounds like it was the right pick for you. We loved it for our first visit, so much so that we have been back several times over the years. Enjoy it! :cloud9:

:rotfl: I love your update, Feckless! That could be my DH as well... :lmao:

I was hoping some of you could suggest an area with a nice view that I can request. I booked a LV CL room.

Thanks in advance!:goodvibes

I'm new to this thread, but just wanted to say how much I've enjoyed reading all the great info! We will be arriving for our first trip to the BC at the end of the month and we can't wait!!!! :cool1: (Me,DH,DD17 and DD14)

Glad to hear everyone is enjoying my updates! I'll try to keep them BC specific (mostly. LOL) to keep it relevant! :)

My DS woke up early and went to the arcade - he loves it there!! DH and DD slept in until 9, which meant rope drop was out of the question! Oh well! THe kids really loved the breakfast in the lounge which was great. DS was desperate to get to DHS to get an Indiana Jones rifle so we went to the boat dock by about 10. It was so easy to get there! :) we didn't find the boats to be very hot, but they weren't "air conditioned" (well, if they were, we couldn't feel it!). We rode Rockin Roller Coaster (about a 25 minute wait) and then we walked on Tower of Terror. First time for me for both! :). I survived, but there was a woman behind me on TOT who just lost her mind and whimpered through the whole thing when she wasn't screaming her lungs out. I thought it was a child and felt bad, but when I turned and saw it was a grown woman... :rotfl2: My DS rode both for the first time and he LOVED the roller coaster as well. He was woo hooing through the whole thing!!! LOL

3 hours to chill before dinner with the other family at Tutto Italia!! I'm in the club lounge with the chips, dip and an Arnold Palmer. Ahhhhh... Kids are in SAB.

Welcome huntconn. Love the bear. I was at the Englishtown NJ show Sept 3, 1977. :dogdance:

And to answer your CS question....No food court. Some people can't seem to live without it. Some can (us :grouphug:)

That's weird, cuz none of the Deluxe resorts have a food court. I thought the "poor counter service" that I had read about meant worse counter service options then your normal Deluxe resort. How does The Marketplace compare to say Capt. Cook's at the Poly or any of the other Deluxe QS spots? Is is smaller, or have less seating? Just curious. Thanks

We rode Rockin Roller Coaster (about a 25 minute wait) and then we walked on Tower of Terror. First time for me for both! :). I survived, but there was a woman behind me on TOT who just lost her mind and whimpered through the whole thing when she wasn't screaming her lungs out. I thought it was a child and felt bad, but when I turned and saw it was a grown woman... :rotfl2: My DS rode both for the first time and he LOVED the roller coaster as well. He was woo hooing through the whole thing!!! LOL

3 hours to chill before dinner with the other family at Tutto Italia!! I'm in the club lounge with the chips, dip and an Arnold Palmer. Ahhhhh... Kids are in SAB.

Love the first ride stories. Priceless memories. And Tutto and homemade chips :banana: :banana: :banana:

We weren't asked for our keys today at SAB...

I got the hard copy at checkin today...
Sunday: Tangled
Monday: Phineus and Ferb: Across the 2nd Dimension
Tuesday: Toy Story 3
Wednesday: Monsters Inc.
Thursday: The Lion King
Friday: Cars 2
Saturday: The Muppets

Flights were good but long and frustrating. We were asked to do a survey at ME and were given 4 MK Fastpasses EACH for doing it!!!! ME was fine. Check in was a breeze and we were pixie dusted with an upgrade to lagoon view! Full balcony too... Still trying to find our way around the resort but spent most of the afternoon at sinking sands, then the kids got showers and hit the arcade. DS found TWO Star Wars virtual reality games, so he was good to go. Then we headed for WS for our 7:30 Teppan Edo ADR. DD got it in her head she wanted to do Maelstrom so there was a LOT of unanticipated walking! Feet are VERY sore tonight. Dinner was fabulous. Dinner AND a show, as my DH says. Only thing at was annoying was that the chicken dinner for kids was $13, and if you substituted steak it was $25. Huh? The server kept refilling DS's coke, even when I asked her not to. He actually ended up saying no to her himself (shocking!!! LOL).

After dinner I mentioned to the kids that I heard right here on Disboards that the Land was open after 9 for Soarin', and I'm happy to report (a) it's true and (b) nobody knows about it!! We walked on it twice, and got front row both times since there was nobody there!! What a thrill. I was going to drag everyone out for Epcot rope drop tomorrow morning but we are all so beat (kids were asleep before their heads hit the pillow) and now that Soarin' was done in style, I'm fine with sleeping in!!! DS has some plan for Indiana Jones cap guns in the morning so I see some Star Tours in my future.

DS and DD were fighting, and I heard DS say, "mommy worked so hard on this vacation, so let's not ruin it for her. Truce?". True Disney miracle!!! :rotfl2:

Thank you SO much for the movie list!!!

Yay, Feckless! Happy to hear about your trip, your pixie dust and our favorite place! Enjoy!

Hi!
I chose the YC because our 2 favorite parks are EPCOT and DHS,and the pool looks amazing . My DH likes a bit of peace and quiet, I love a balcony and DS is not remotely into characters so I thought the YC was a better choice for us than the BC.

Andona

Welcome, Andona! I think the reason some people have that perspective is because they feel strongly about staying close to MK. If your favorite parks are Epcot and DHS, you've made the perfect choice for your family!

I grew up staying at the Poly and loved it, but I've always been an Epcot girl and the addition of BC/YC in the early 90s was a wonderful development. We love MK, but don't feel like we have to see it from our resort. In fact, our oldest son (nearly a teenager!) says that BC is the "more Disney" than any other! (Don't ask him to define it - it just is, he says.) Having stayed at many different WDW resorts (and continuing to return to different resorts through split stays) I can say that BC/YC remains our favorite and never disappoints!

After I calmed down yesterday DH and I talked about it and decided if the "really good" discount came out we would still upgrade to CL as it would probably break even with the breakfasts and drinks. It's just daunting to me though - we already were just getting used to the higher high school tuition payments and now this!

Yay, Robyn! Glad to hear CL isn't out of the running just yet! Like I said earlier, our 5-year-old was confused about the lack of "snack room" last time and we left an entire grocery bag full of unused snacks in our room at check-out. Don't forget to factor all that in your cost analysis! And then the convenience is worth a lot to us.

I'm new to this thread, but just wanted to say how much I've enjoyed reading all the great info! We will be arriving for our first trip to the BC at the end of the month and we can't wait!!!! :cool1: (Me,DH,DD17 and DD14)

Welcome, Disneywishes!!!

That's weird, cuz none of the Deluxe resorts have a food court. I thought the "poor counter service" that I had read about meant worse counter service options then your normal Deluxe resort. How does The Marketplace compare to say Capt. Cook's at the Poly or any of the other Deluxe QS spots? Is is smaller, or have less seating? Just curious. Thanks

Hi huntconn! I posted about Captain Cook's vs. BC Marketplace a few pages ago and can also compare with a few other resorts. I should start with a few disclaimers: 1) we usually don't use CS much in the first place; and 2) I'm really not a fan of food courts, so the fact that BC/YC doesn't have one is a huge positive for our family. In any event, here are my thoughts regarding the CS at the deluxe resorts we've stayed in so far:

BC Marketplace/Hurricane Hannah's: My second favorite resort CS at my favorite resort! Selection is good, and I really love having the grocery items and merchandise all there in the same place. And there is a large self-serve refill mug area that is well-designed, so it doesn't seem as crowded at at other resorts. BC Marketplace just feels like one-stop shopping to me because it's all there in one place. There's covered seating outside, but we also like to take our food out to the beach and sit in the lounge chairs or benches for a view. Maybe it's based on the amount of time we've spent there, but BC Marketplace just feels homey and convenient. I should add that during pool hours, Hurricane Hanna's is great. The seating offers a really nice view of both SAB and Crescent Lake and the kids' meals are just so fun in the buckets. Great hamburgers!

Captain Cook's: My favorite resort CS at my second favorite resort! Excellent selection, not too crazy for those of us who are awake super early and nice seating both inside and outside. It's really conveniently located and I like the proximity to the volcano pool.

Roaring Forks: Seating is primarily inside and has more of a food court feel inside. Selection is fine, but we haven't used it for anything other than breakfast. Every time we planned to eat there for lunch on arrival day, we decided to wait until we arrived at a park instead.

Picabu: We like this one! It's open 24 hours and the selection is great. It's cafeteria style, so it keeps the line moving along without getting chaotic. They do also carry some grocery-type items and there is a ton of inside seating - so it's nice on a hot/humid day. I don't think the menu is as interesting as Captain Cook's, but this is nice option just a few minutes away from YC.

Boardwalk options: Several options here, including Boardwalk Bakery, Boardwalk to Go and the pizza window. I like the selection at Boardwalk Bakery. The different CS locations are all spread out and require a walk outside on the boardwalk to reach them. No self-serve mug refill stations at BWI like at other resorts. That's one of the reasons that we'll book CL when we stay at BWI.

Mara: Love the zebra domes, but this feels most food-courty to me of all the deluxe resort CS I've tried so far. There is a ton of seating inside and some outside. I really like AKL for non-parks stays, and Jiko and Sanaa are at the top of my TS list, but I'm not a big Mara fan based on atmosphere.

We've also stayed at CSR (great selection for a food court), CBR, POFQ (relatively calm for a food court) and Sports, but I won't go into those because they are all true food courts. Reviews on CR and GF CS options coming next January (part of a split stay!!) But I know that at least Robyn, Mickey T, Pas and Teena can comment on GF. Luv, any comments regarding CS at CR?

How does The Marketplace compare to say Capt. Cook's at the Poly or any of the other Deluxe QS spots? Is is smaller, or have less seating? Just curious. Thanks

No fair asking about CC's. My favorite CS in all WDW. Adult grilled cheese, dole whip, ahhhhhhh. Marketplace is fine. We eat in the Solarium. A beautiful room just off the Marketplace. Totally different experience than sitting in CS dining area.

Here is link to posting Dee has off of the first page. Dig in...(pun intended!)
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?p=41330436#post41330436

And pixarmom did a great thread with pictures from all the CS options in the area.
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?p=42449637#post42449637

But there is so much more for lunch and dinner. Hurricane Hanna's and Beaches and Cream work great. And out secret favorite sit down Captains Grill, a short walk away.

No fair asking about CC's. My favorite CS in all WDW. Adult grilled cheese, dole whip, ahhhhhhh. Marketplace is fine. We eat in the Solarium. A beautiful room just off the Marketplace. Totally different experience that sitting in CS dining area.

I'm with you, MickeyT! :thumbsup2 We should all agree that comparisons to Captain Cook's (and the Kona sushi bar) are off limits! :) Just no fair.

Booked our never-thought-it-would-happen-this-year trip back to the BC!

Can I do a little dance here amongst you folks? I promise not to break any furniture. :woohoo:

We'll be there for 4 nights / 5 days (the mental limit of my husband and myself) in Sept. (19-23). Thanks for the advice here yesterday re: YC and BC. I couldn't bring myself to book the YC -- even though it was extremely tempting -- just due to how lovely everyone was to us there at the BC last year. We're definitely going to take a stroll through the YC lobby this time though.

Now, time to update my ticker and peruse the drink options at Hurricane Hannah's ... :rolleyes1

Hi, just found this and I must say its a great post.

We are staying at BC on our next vacation and just had a few questions.

First, the rooms, we will have 2 DD's and they will be just turned 2 and celebrating a 10th birthday when we go.
So the 10yo will be in the other bed and I have seen pictures of the day bed and a roll away crib.
I know a pack and play is available but seeing the pictures of the roll away crib I think that would be better for the 2yo.
Is this easily requested and do all rooms come with the day bed as this also looks like a bettr option, do they provide the bed rail?

Next is regarding the pool, how far is the walk to the slide?
Is it safe for a 10yo to go on their own (obviously we will show her where to go and only if she feels comfortable to go on her own) but would you allow your child to do this.
I was thinking 1 parent could stay by the entrance, I see their is a small slide and pool and the other would be the end of the slide so she would walk across the path on her own, also do you need to show your room card to get to the slide?

Thanks for any replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter