• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

2012 Beach and Yacht FAQ ~ March, April and May ~Do Not Post Here-Old Thread

Teena, please forgive me, but I have to ask this question.

Why...Why...Why are they starting this on April 9th?? Is the pool currently down now?

Those of us that are paying peak rates or peak dvc points for a stay at the Beach club during the week of april 9th (afaik, peak rates drop off after the 15th) are really getting hit the hardest here. Not to take away from those that are staying at YC/BC after the 15th, but the fact of the matter is that those that are staying between the 9th and the 15th are truly paying a premium for a hotel with reduced amenities....and unless the pool is currently down now, the time to start this rehab appears elective (at least for a week).

I really question the logic of the decision process, to schedule a rehab during this week. Even if the cost to guest/dvc member wasn't the big worry...the other major worry is pool capacity during easter week. With more than 1/3 of the pool going down, isn't this going to be a concern?

To put it mildly, our family is absolutely devastated. We booked BCV for this week, in large part, if not entirely, due to SAB and the Flying Jib slide. My son practically lives on these slides when we're down in WDW. Also, we're in the worst of all positions, because our stay is booked on DVC points....I just did a check for alternatives and there's practically nothing available for the time of our stay, except OKW and SSR. Even so, this is within 30 days, so we'd be getting hit with the point lockup if there's a negative difference in points (which there would be with OKW and SSR). The fact that this rehab was announced with such short notice really hurts us DVC members.

p.s. To everyone, if I come off sounding frazzled, I apologize. I've got some emotional family members here...and we're all feeling a bit trapped...

Pool rehab is ALWAYS scheduled in January, February and if necessary it sometimes extends to early March. This has been the case all eight years I've been at the Y&B. Those are the slowest "pool" months because of the weather. Why is the pool now going down April 9th: Because during the normal rehab in January, February and early March, a problem was found that was not anticipated and the contractors who do that work to fix that not-anticipated-problem, by the time they could get all the parts, etc., April 9th was the soonest the work could be done. A similar problem occurred on the actual slide a few years ago (something was found during normal rehab) and it had to come down for about a week in June. The work that needs to be done starting April 9th could not wait for next year's winter rehab and it was not discovered until they did the normal rehab a few weeks ago.

You have a choice to change resorts or use the rest of the beautiful pool area of SAB along with the three quiet pools, which combined (in my opinion) are better than any other resort at WDW even with the part of SAB and the slide that is down. Our location is amazing too. Trust me, we at the Y&B are probably more upset than the guests that are coming during the two week period. We now have to deal with thousands of guests for two weeks that are just as upset as you (and rightly so ... you are paying top dollar and part of the amenities will not be able to be enjoyed). That's why SAB rehab is scheduled when it is: January and February. There was no way of knowing they would find the problem the rehab contractors found. From what I understand, those contractors are not the same contractors who have to come in and fix the problem that was found. Those contractors were called right away to assess the problem. If it could have been fixed right then and there, it would have been or if it could have waited until next January or February, trust me, it would have waited!!!! However, lots of special parts (how many pools are the size and complexity of SAB: sand and a filter system especially for sand) had to be specially ordered. The contractors to fix this job couldn't get everything that was needed until April 9th. And it has to be fixed ASAP. There is no safety problem or anything but from what I understand, if it is not fixed ASAP, the problem could escalate and it could mean that part of SAB being down for months and months, if not longer.

If there was any other way to do this, it would have been done differently. Put yourself in our places. Do you really think they just scheduled this during Spring Break to annoy people? We all want one thing. We really want you all to have wonderful vacations and experience the love for our resort that we all feel. We do not want to have to deal with two weeks of disgruntled guests. That's why advance notice went out the minute the problem was found and we knew when the pool area and slide would be down. We want you to have other choices if this will totally impact your enjoyment of the Y&B.

I hope this explains it a little better. Honestly, all guests should sit and contemplate what their vacation will be like. Will you be at the parks most of the time and just want to use SAB for an hour or two after the parks, before dinner? If so, I would not switch. MUST MY OPINION. If you are going to the Y&B and do not plan on going to the parks at all, you just want to use SAB all day long, then personally I would switch to the Grand Floridian because I love their two pools and even with the construction going on over there, I'd still enjoy sitting by the pools all day long. And if that was the case, I'd change my dining reservations to around the MK area (like the restaurants at Wilderness Lodge, Contemporary, Poly, etc.).

Just know that you are not alone in being upset. We at the Y&B are also upset ... for a different reason but we all feel your frustration. And there will be loads of guests not as nice as everybody here that will come into our resort and really be mean to us .. as if we are taking SAB down just to ruin their vacation.

Please feel free to PM me if you have any other questions or if I can help you make a good "vacation" decision.

Opps ... sorry ... forgot you are on DVC points. Personally, if you feel this will not work for you at the BCV because of SAB, I'd call Member Services and see if an exception can be made because of this rehab. Also remember your son can ride on the golf cart back and forth to the Boardwalk to use their slide. The kids really really enjoy that (to me it's not fun but they love it). I've talked to kids in the lobby that came back one year and they were disappointed that we did not have the golf carts to take them over to use the slide at the Boardwalk.

Just know that you are not alone in being upset. We at the Y&B are also upset ... for a different reason but we all feel your frustration. And there will be loads of guests not as nice as everybody here that will come into our resort and really be mean to us .. as if we are taking SAB down just to ruin their vacation.

Teena, the Tastycake Fairy is going to bestow you with yummy goodness to ease your pain & suffering in just a few days....LOL....my prescription to you is to eat one every day before your shift starts, that will help you deal with the concerned guests!!!!

Teena - thanks so much I figured it was the case of needing 2 keys but thought i'd ask just the same..

did you like dancing last night??

Yep, Dancing was wonderful. I was shocked at the talent this year. Normally there are a few that you know aren't going to be around for long but this year they all seem very good! And Gladys truly is amazing!!! And Cheryl's partner, WOW! That is one nice hunk of a man!

Teena-just wanted to send you some :hug: and say I feel for you as I know its not easy dealing with people when they're disappointed or cross about something over which you have no control! Take care of yourself and I hope people are kind and understanding towards you:)

That was the actual comment by Teena that I responded to, so no, sad to say, it does not answer my question.

What Teena said is that the repair couldn't wait until next year.

My question is could it have waited until the week of April 16th? Is the pool currently operational?

People are paying a premium for the week immediately before and after easter. The rates all go down on the 16th. The frustration is that those of us that are staying there that second week of spring break are now paying top dollar for a resort that just lost a little more than 1/3 of it's pool capacity, including the slide....and will be expected to ride a shuttle to another pool if we want a slide. While I understand there's plenty to BC beyond the slide and pool, the slide and the pool were the primary driver for us in deciding to stay at BC. We would have made other arrangements had we known about this with enough lead time. 20 days isn't enough lead time.

I understand your point regarding scheduling and parts and I strongly suspect that when I call, that's exactly what's going to be said to me. I mean, why would they admit "sure, we could have done it on the 16th, but we really wanted to stick it to you guys that are paying through the nose!" :lmao:

Seriously, it's a hard pill to swallow, given the price of things that week. It's not just the rates at the resorts. We're paying a premium for our rental car. Our airfare is the highest we've ever paid to come to florida (and fuel price increases not even factored in, as we bought our plane tickets long before gas prices started spiking again.)

No, I doubt you will get this answer if you call. I had to get ahold of a recreation manager and actually go out to the pool so she could explain everything to me and show me exactly what was going on.

From what I was told, the second the parts were guaranteed to arrive and the work could be done, it had to go down. Time is crutical. From the way it was explained to me, I think other resorts (non-Disney) would have emptied the pool and let it sit there unused while they were waiting for the parts and equipment to come in that was needed to fix it. Every day they have the pool operating, they run the risk of the problem escalating and it becoming much more serious and time consuming to fix. Nothing is a safety factor ... it's all mechanical. And as far as that week it starts, I don't know about the premium but I know the week before the 9th is anticipated as the most crowded week of the entire year. The pool would be emptied this moment if possible and would be down for the next two weeks. If we could have started next week, it would be down then.

I can understand being upset about the SAB closure as well. One of the biggest reason we chose to stay there was do to the fact that we are going to be skipping the water parks this year in favor of doing Universal and IOA. I had heard how fabulous the pool was at BC and decided that this would be the next best thing.

We went to Disney in 2009 and had to miss out on the Hall of Presidents, Space Mountain, and the People Mover (husband loves HoP and I love SM) and even though there was some disapoint we still had a fantastic time. This year it sounds like we are going to miss out on BTMR and Test Track:sad2:

Bring on the lemonaid!

Teena

I know those two weeks will be hard on you and your co workers.. i live and grew up in a resort town and summers here always revolved around vacationers. Lots were great and lots were not. Hope you get through it OK and then enjoy your cruise!

shannon

First off, I wanted to thank Teena for going the extra mile to get all these concerns addressed regarding the SAB closure. I know it's going to be even more stressful for you over the coming weeks dealing with upset guests, think good Lily thoughts, and we'll send you our good thoughts as well.:goodvibes

For those upset about the situation, I totally understand. I believe MM said this earlier, and she's right. Disney does seem to be doing a LOT of work the past year or so, most likely to get ready for the crazy influx of people once the Fantasyland expansion is complete. :scared1: This is also NOT a scheduled maintenance, but something that came up after a routine scheduled downtime.

Honestly (and don't get me wrong, I agree it stinks if this is your time to be there) but I'm kind of glad this is happening. It means one thing: Disney is actually proactive about fixing problems. We've all been to a resort or theme park or something where things are just let to go to ruin... and it inevitably leads to either long downtime, or people just stop going. Disney pretty much runs 24/7, and to me it's kind of fascinating they can keep a place that large running with relatively little downtime.

I also think Disney STINKS at notification....but not just to the guests, but the CMs themselves. Last year, when the GF Spa shut down, we were one of the first guests they had to move. They called us the WEEK before we went down to change our spa reservation. You know when the Director found out he was going to have to move not only all the guests but his staff as well? The day before he called me. That's the one complaint I have with Disney, but it's upper management that gets my thumbs down in times like these, not the CMs who are helping you day to day. Try to keep that in mind when you approach these situations. It's hard, as I can attest to from our last trip... but they are really doing everything they can.:goodvibes

BC/YC has more than just SAB, but it is a main draw for the hotels. If you're planning on staying a long time there and it's going to be down, call the reservation hot line and explain the situation, usually they will move you with no problem if there is availability. You deserve to have a magical vacation, and no one can tell you otherwise.:wizard:

But, if you stick it out, you do have an opportunity to check out the quiet pools, the 2/3 of SAB that will be open, AND the pool over at BWI. (If you can stand the clown, which I cannot....:rotfl:)

We're here to support you no matter what your decisions are, but I can say from our last trip we probably only got about 3 hours total at SAB....they were fun hours, but did not make our whole trip.

Just my opinions....:flower3:

First off, I wanted to thank Teena for going the extra mile to get all these concerns addressed regarding the SAB closure. I know it's going to be even more stressful for you over the coming weeks dealing with upset guests, think good Lily thoughts, and we'll send you our good thoughts as well.:goodvibes

For those upset about the situation, I totally understand. I believe MM said this earlier, and she's right. Disney does seem to be doing a LOT of work the past year or so, most likely to get ready for the crazy influx of people once the Fantasyland expansion is complete. :scared1: This is also NOT a scheduled maintenance, but something that came up after a routine scheduled downtime.

Honestly (and don't get me wrong, I agree it stinks if this is your time to be there) but I'm kind of glad this is happening. It means one thing: Disney is actually proactive about fixing problems. We've all been to a resort or theme park or something where things are just let to go to ruin... and it inevitably leads to either long downtime, or people just stop going. Disney pretty much runs 24/7, and to me it's kind of fascinating they can keep a place that large running with relatively little downtime.

I also think Disney STINKS at notification....but not just to the guests, but the CMs themselves. Last year, when the GF Spa shut down, we were one of the first guests they had to move. They called us the WEEK before we went down to change our spa reservation. You know when the Director found out he was going to have to move not only all the guests but his staff as well? The day before he called me. That's the one complaint I have with Disney, but it's upper management that gets my thumbs down in times like these, not the CMs who are helping you day to day. Try to keep that in mind when you approach these situations. It's hard, as I can attest to from our last trip... but they are really doing everything they can.:goodvibes

BC/YC has more than just SAB, but it is a main draw for the hotels. If you're planning on staying a long time there and it's going to be down, call the reservation hot line and explain the situation, usually they will move you with no problem if there is availability. You deserve to have a magical vacation, and no one can tell you otherwise.:wizard:

But, if you stick it out, you do have an opportunity to check out the quiet pools, the 2/3 of SAB that will be open, AND the pool over at BWI. (If you can stand the clown, which I cannot....:rotfl:)

We're here to support you no matter what your decisions are, but I can say from our last trip we probably only got about 3 hours total at SAB....they were fun hours, but did not make our whole trip.

Just my opinions....:flower3:

Thank you!!!

Does anyone know if the little kids slide will also be closed in April during the SAB partial closure?

We switched to BWI at my DH's request.

We won't be staying at BC for our April vacation. Fingers crossed for a PIN for October so we can stay at BC for F&W! :)

I think I was supposed to host the noodles too - should they turn up someone else is welcome to use them.

I'll still lurk on this board though because I <3 BC! I will miss it for sure but DH rarely asks for anything so when he said he wanted to go back to BWI, I had to agree!

We also just switched from HRH at the Dark Side to PBH CL. Thanks for your great trip report NATEBENMA! Wasn't the reason for the switch but loved your story! :goodvibes

I'm not vacationing in April, but I just want to say that I feel so lucky having Teena on this board letting us all know what is going on. I wish everyone luck with their decisions regarding those two pool construction weeks in April! I hope you all get Pixie dusted in other ways!

Hey mateys,

I wanted to take the time to thank everyone that's contributed and commented on my posts. Especially Teena. There are good pirates and great pirates. Teena's a great pirate!

We're not sure what we're going to do, but I would be surprised if we don't stick it out and try to make the best of it. It's very disappointing...and I wish I had better advance notice of this, so I could have made adjustments to my vacation. But it is what it is.

Again, Teena...thank you so much for all you're doing for us! Your help, guidance, care and understanding is infectious! really it is!

Thanks again,
Frank

Thanks so much for checking!
You wonder why they take something so popular off the menu. Of course I just discovered the bakewell tart at Rose and Crown last summer and fell in love with it. What do you think - yes it's now off the menu!

I wonder if room service at BC has key lime - anyone up for a mission?

Of course, Robyn! Here's the BC room service menu with the dessert page from last August (not so clear - just "chef's creations.") But I'll be at YC next month, so I'll check the menu and call down to room service. :)

90bda885.jpg

Just wanted to chime in on the pool closure...

I do feel bad for those with ressies that are upset and I feel even worse for the CMs who will be dealing with the fallout!

To be honest, on our trip we spent a ton of time at the pool but mainly on the opposite end where the sand play area is. Our daughter was only 2 at the time and she loved being over there. The resort is so beautiful and there is so much to do in and around Disney that I'd hate to see someone's trip get ruined because of a slide closure. I'm sure the resort is going to do anything possible to make up for the inconvenience!

Good morning! I'll throw in my daily two cents regarding the SAB improvements again! I feel like a bit of a broken record, and I understand my objectivity is in question given my long-standing sentimental attachment to BC, but I'll add it anyway.

As I've mentioned before, we're staying at YC during the slide/partial pool closure and we're still very happy with our decision! We stayed at BC with a partial closure last year, although that closure was not as significant. We love SAB and will continue to enjoy the zero depth entry area, the lazy river area and the kiddie pool with slide overlooking Crescent Lake next month.

We also plan to use the quiet pool during our YC stay next month. During our last BC stay, our three boys (ages 5, 11 and 12) had a great time at SAB, but also LOVED the BC quiet pool. Other than sliding, they could do all the stuff they do at SAB in the quiet pool. With our last two BC rooms overlooking the quiet pool, it was easy to jump in the pool or the hot tub there for a swim. And as I mentioned in response to Wee Annie, I really enjoy swimming laps in the quiet pool, too.

Many others have mentioned the reasons they love BC, and it's not limited to SAB. We choose BC even in colder months when our pool time will be more limited. The lobby, our wonderful warm welcome from Teena, the music, the scents, the BC Marketplace in the early morning, late night malts at B&C, the light and airy room decor, the grounds, the stroll around Crescent Lake, the many dining options in World Showcase and the Epcot resort area, the walk to Epcot and DHS, the friendship boats . . . the list goes on and on. I love many WDW resorts for many reasons, but BC remains my favorite.

So here's the plan: We'll transfer from POFQ to YC on April 13 and I plan to spend the afternoon with our youngest at SAB. I should be able to post later that day and text a couple photos to Dee that she will post. We'll be home by April 15 and I can post the rest of the photos then. So hopefully that will give BC/YC guests an idea of what to expect. We're really looking forward to our stay and our time at SAB - I'm hoping the photos will demonstrate all of the pool options still available during that time!

Thanks, again, to Teena for all of the information she sought and posted for us, and for continuing to respond to questions and concerns. Hugs to you and to the BC/YC CMs! (And so funny, after you posted about Dancing - which I had never seen before - my mom texted that I had to turn it on to see Donald Driver!)

And for those who found a better resort fit during the SAB improvements, have a wonderful trip and please consider a return to BC/YC next time!

Just wanted to chime in on the pool closure...

I do feel bad for those with ressies that are upset and I feel even worse for the CMs who will be dealing with the fallout!

To be honest, on our trip we spent a ton of time at the pool but mainly on the opposite end where the sand play area is. Our daughter was only 2 at the time and she loved being over there. The resort is so beautiful and there is so much to do in and around Disney that I'd hate to see someone's trip get ruined because of a slide closure. I'm sure the resort is going to do anything possible to make up for the inconvenience!

Actually, it's a lot more than just a slide closure. I think people would be okay with that. I think it's important for those with decisions to make about their April vacations to know exactly what will be drained or open, so they can make the best decision possible for their families. It appears that over 50% of the square footage of SAB will be drained and under repair (and two hot tubs), including the majority of the water area utilized by older kids/adults (the lazy river will be open for them). This will push the remaining people all into the lazy river and the kiddie area and the quiet pools.

Now, we're a family that's decided to stay put and make the best of it. But I think people who come over here to see what's up and make decisions need to have a realistic idea of what will be open and what will not. We thought it was just a slide closure, and if we hadn't learned otherwise, we would have been very very disheartened when we arrived. Now that we know exactly what's up, we can adjust expectations and move on :)

But thanks, too, for the reflections on the kiddie sand area -- hopefully our youngest (almost 6) will spend a lot of time there!

Welcome back nannette. You know we need details. :3dglasses

OMG I laughed so hard when I read this!! I can just see Mickey T, with his nosed pressed to your proverbial trip report window, banging on the glass demanding the details! Unfortunately, you know you're going to have to get a restraining order against the rest of us, who are putting nose prints on your windows, demanding the nitty gritty from your last trip!

Wow Frank. That is the perfect storm. I'm DVC and I know handling those points can be a challenge. Wonder if DVC could help you. Some kind of hardship clause or exemption?

And sound as frazzled as you want. We understand here. We are the uber planners and want everything to go smoothe. Sometimes things come up during our trips and we have to handle it. But for things to come up before it really gives us too much time to mull over it. It's tough. Hang in there and here's hoping that your vacation turns into the best ever. ::yes::

Hey Pirate Frank! :grouphug: pirate: :grouphug:

I would so start calling the powers that be at the DVC reservation system and explain your predicament and ask for some assistance in making a change (If that's what you decide).

I don't know if you were reading a couple of pages ago when we were talking about how to handle problems that may crop up during our stay..... but we were talking about how, if you don't get the kind of problem resolution that helps from the first CM that you talk, to BE SURE TO ASK TO SPEAK TO A MANAGER.

Essentially, the first contact person may not be in a position to adequately address your problem and this sort of a predicament that you are in sounds like it may fall into that trap. If you wish, start making calls and keep that "I'd like to speak with a manager" tip in mind until you get a resolution that you can live with.

Good luck Pirate Frank and let us know how things work out with what ever you decide to do!

~Marlton Mom

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter