2011 Yacht & Beach Club FAQ, Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
VEGETABLES! !!! You can repel the teenage boys with green, leafy, HEALTHY vegetables. We're talking NO ranch dressing, no cheese and no frying of any sort. Try hiding your big something delicious under a pile of broccoli. The teen aged boy will smell something good, come over and check out your grub, see the veggies and RUN!!!

~MM
PS. My husband is 54 years old and I'm still chasing him around the house with a plate of veggies!

:rotfl2: :worship:

my boys are 26 and 49 and they both run from veggies....

I even hide my favorite snacks in the vegetable bin of the refrigerator because neither one of them will open that drawer.

:rolleyes1

:lmao:

There must be a anti-veggie gene that males are born with :rotfl:

This is, perhaps, some of the BEST advice I have received on this thread! Thank you!;)

:rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2:

It is true, I have hid lots of Chocolate under the lettuce and broccoli, granted it is wrapped and everything but those two would never willing touch a green vegetable if they did not have to.

There are wheelchairs available free of charge at the resort for the use of guests, based on availability. I don't think you can reserve them in advance, so you need to ask at checkin.

I'm not sure what kind of wheelchairs (manual or electric), but perhaps someone who knows or has borrowed one can share more details.

thanks...do you know if you can keep them for the length of your stay or is it on a day to day basis?

My knowledge of the wheelchairs is just the general info that I've read about the chairs that are offered at all resorts so I don't know if BC/YC is any different but I would assume that all WDW resorts would be the same. Last I heard, they are manual wheelchairs. You can keep them for the length of your stay if you can get your hands on one in the first place. The word has gotten out about these free wheelchairs so more and more people request them and there aren't a lot of them at each resort. Unfortunately, they really aren't the most comfortable chairs and aren't in the best shape. While they won't be dangerous, they are not necessarily maintained for easy gliding. The intention of them was really to help people out of a jam if they hurt themselves or realized too late that they couldn't handle all the walking and really just until the guest could rent their own.

You'll be MUCH more comfortable if you rent an ECV from an offsite company. The stickies on the disABILITIES! board has links to several companies that have been used with great success.

ECVs allow the guest in need a lot more independence than a manual wheelchair. In a wheelchair, the guest is forced to look at whatever the person pushing them last points them at. The guest has to go where somebody else decides and look at what somebody else decides. This of generally pretty frustrating for most adults who are used to being pretty independent. With an ECV you are in complete control of where you go and what you do. Also, for the person pushing the wheelchair it is a lot of work plus the person pushing spends much of their time watching the feet of the person in the chair to be sure not to bump anybody rather than being able to look around.

There are situations where an ECV just won't work (ex. if a person has cognitive imparements) but if an ECV is an option then I would definitely recommend renting an ECV or using a manual wheelchair. If an ECV is not an option I would still recommend rending a chair from an offisite company over relying on a resort wheelchair because the rentals tend to be in better condition, are more comfortable and are guaranteed to be there for you.

OK, it is just a couple of days bofore your upcoming vacations and I can only imagine that you are crawling up the walls with excitement!

You have both offered to accept a couple of reconnaissance and photo missions during your trips. Thank you for that!

I don't want either of you to go out of your way to get any of the requested photos, and I especially don't want to have you do anything you haven't otherwise planned (example- don't come back and say "I gained 5 pounds because Dee made me take a picture of the Kitchen Sink!")

Info:

Are there any age restrictions for hot tubs?- Moonies, I believe you have that one covered

Are there any size restrictions for use of Jib slide- PittPantherfan may try to find the answer this week.

What time is Bingo by the pool?- If possible, when you return from your trip, if either of you could scan the May activities guide, I could post to front page as a sample schedule of activities.

Requested Photos:

Marketplace:
* Refillable Mug Station * I really want this one!
Salad- not the grab and go- do they still make custom salads?

Solariam- would love to post a couple of these. I have never been in the room! (Except in two-dimensional form)

Laundry Room

Arcade

Healthclub

Dining:
Mickey waffle from Cape May character breakfast
Dessert from Yachtsman Steakhouse
Meal/Kitchen Sink from Beaches & Cream

Remember- your most important mission of all is to have a FANTASTIC vacation, to report back to us and make us all extremely jealous!

Thanks!

Dee

We were already doing the Kitchen Sink so we won't blame you when we gain 80000000000000 pounds.

We can also do the Marketplace stuff because we're A) getting reusable mugs and B)two of us have allergies and are also interested in make-your-own salads.

I'm sure we'll be taking pictures of everything so we'll report back with our other findings in a week or so!!!!!!

We were already doing the Kitchen Sink so we won't blame you when we gain 80000000000000 pounds.

We can also do the Marketplace stuff because we're A) getting reusable mugs and B)two of us have allergies and are also interested in make-your-own salads.

I'm sure we'll be taking pictures of everything so we'll report back with our other findings in a week or so!!!!!!

I am looking forward to your review and pictures of the Kitchen Sink, I think I want to do that for my DS and DD who are both celebrating graduations while we are there, for some reason I thought it would be neat to see them dive into that thing.

Thank you for that review! We picked Jiko for our date night dinner during our August trip. I've been worried about it! I'm pretty sure that my DH will love it but I hate any and all curry. It sounds (from your review) that I'll be able to avoid curry.

Welcome! I wonder if you're near us. We live in Scarsdale...

Amanda

Hi Amanda,

DD and I have eaten at Jiko many many times... that being said I also dislike the smell and taste of curry and I love Jiko, so pretty sure you will be able to avoid the curry!! Enjoy!

~Nannette

Everyone who is entering SAB must show a room key to the resort. No finger scans, but a keycard is required for each person.

You could explain the situation to the person at the entrance, but I suspect SAB will be super crowded on July 4, so I wouldn't count on them making a special exception.

Room keys are not required to use the quiet pools, but there are no lifeguards there.

Thanks natebenma! :flower3: We're actually going in October (October 2-7)I've "chatted" with a few YC visitors on other threads that said everyone that visits Stormalong Bay must have a key card, so it sounds like DGrandparents will not be able to supervise him at the pool unless we get them a room at YC. That might be a bit pricey just for them to be able to spend time with DS at the pool. So....i think I'm just going to make other plans for DGrandparents and DS. :goodvibes

My knowledge of the wheelchairs is just the general info that I've read about the chairs that are offered at all resorts so I don't know if BC/YC is any different but I would assume that all WDW resorts would be the same. Last I heard, they are manual wheelchairs. You can keep them for the length of your stay if you can get your hands on one in the first place. The word has gotten out about these free wheelchairs so more and more people request them and there aren't a lot of them at each resort. Unfortunately, they really aren't the most comfortable chairs and aren't in the best shape. While they won't be dangerous, they are not necessarily maintained for easy gliding. The intention of them was really to help people out of a jam if they hurt themselves or realized too late that they couldn't handle all the walking and really just until the guest could rent their own.

You'll be MUCH more comfortable if you rent an ECV from an offsite company. The stickies on the disABILITIES! board has links to several companies that have been used with great success.

ECVs allow the guest in need a lot more independence than a manual wheelchair. In a wheelchair, the guest is forced to look at whatever the person pushing them last points them at. The guest has to go where somebody else decides and look at what somebody else decides. This of generally pretty frustrating for most adults who are used to being pretty independent. With an ECV you are in complete control of where you go and what you do. Also, for the person pushing the wheelchair it is a lot of work plus the person pushing spends much of their time watching the feet of the person in the chair to be sure not to bump anybody rather than being able to look around.

There are situations where an ECV just won't work (ex. if a person has cognitive imparements) but if an ECV is an option then I would definitely recommend renting an ECV or using a manual wheelchair. If an ECV is not an option I would still recommend rending a chair from an offisite company over relying on a resort wheelchair because the rentals tend to be in better condition, are more comfortable and are guaranteed to be there for you.

thank you so much for your inut! That's great info to know. I am not sure if I'll need one at all, but it's good to know what my options are. If we were going today, I would need something because walking all day long would just be bad. Maybe in a couple of weeks things will be better but it's best to be prepared!! Do you know how much advance notice the rental places require?

Man this thread moves fast.
My mother has rented ECVs at the parks on those days she decided she wasn't up to walking. Last Dec. my son got a free wheelchair for his (now ex) gf who's knee was hurting her (allegedly) from DHS one night. The people on the DIS board probably have all the info..
Just made another payment towards my Dec. trip, guess I'd better put in for time off before everyone else grabs vacation holiday time off.

Thanks natebenma! :flower3: We're actually going in October (October 2-7)I've "chatted" with a few YC visitors on other threads that said everyone that visits Stormalong Bay must have a key card, so it sounds like DGrandparents will not be able to supervise him at the pool unless we get them a room at YC. That might be a bit pricey just for them to be able to spend time with DS at the pool. So....i think I'm just going to make other plans for DGrandparents and DS. :goodvibes

We'll be at the Yacth Club from 9/30 - 10/8 - at the same time as you! Here's hoping we all have a magical trip!!! ENJOY!!!

OK, it is just a couple of days bofore your upcoming vacations and I can only imagine that you are crawling up the walls with excitement!

You have both offered to accept a couple of reconnaissance and photo missions during your trips. Thank you for that!

I don't want either of you to go out of your way to get any of the requested photos, and I especially don't want to have you do anything you haven't otherwise planned (example- don't come back and say "I gained 5 pounds because Dee made me take a picture of the Kitchen Sink!")

Info:

Are there any age restrictions for hot tubs?- Moonies, I believe you have that one covered

Are there any size restrictions for use of Jib slide- PittPantherfan may try to find the answer this week.

What time is Bingo by the pool?- If possible, when you return from your trip, if either of you could scan the May activities guide, I could post to front page as a sample schedule of activities.

Requested Photos:

Marketplace:
* Refillable Mug Station * I really want this one!
Salad- not the grab and go- do they still make custom salads?

Solariam- would love to post a couple of these. I have never been in the room! (Except in two-dimensional form)

Laundry Room

Arcade

Healthclub

Dining:
Mickey waffle from Cape May character breakfast
Dessert from Yachtsman Steakhouse
Meal/Kitchen Sink from Beaches & Cream

Remember- your most important mission of all is to have a FANTASTIC vacation, to report back to us and make us all extremely jealous!

Thanks!

Dee
I have the list printed and am ready for our mission. I'm not going anywhere near that Kitchen Sink nope you can't make me<drool>.:rolleyes1 I know we will be in the laundry room though.:laundy: With my wonderful DH's help we should be able to mark off some of the list.

Hi ladies, I've been lurking for a few days as DH and I *might* be upgrading our October trip to the BC!! :banana::banana:

This would be our first trip, so I'm creating my Plan B (for if we get to stay at BC). Does Beach Club have a QS breakfast option or are there only TS options?

TIA

:banana::banana::banana:

I'm so excited about the pictures you have volunteered for!

Again, thank you and enjoy your trip!

Dee

Does Beach Club have a QS breakfast option or are there only TS options?

Market Place in the BC has quick service (sort of) options. See the pictures and links on page one of this thread.

Hope the BC works out for you. Happy planning!!

Hello from Louisiana! We will be in a 2 bedroom villa at BCV May 28 - June 5. This will be our 2nd time staying at BCV. Last time was in January '09 and SAB was closed for renovations. So we are going back and hope to spend some time enjoying it this time! :woohoo: 24 days and counting down!!:banana::banana::banana:

Maybe we'll run into you. We'll be in a 1BR villa at BCV May 30-June 6. I just got my Alien Green Mickey the other day; now to remember to pack it.

Hi ladies, I've been lurking for a few days as DH and I *might* be upgrading our October trip to the BC!! :banana::banana:

This would be our first trip, so I'm creating my Plan B (for if we get to stay at BC). Does Beach Club have a QS breakfast option or are there only TS options?

TIA

:wave2: Hi there, Rorey, and WELCOME! This is a fantastic thread with the nicest people around. The information (and a ton more) is located on the first couple pages of the thread. Dee (natebenma) does a GREAT job of keeping that info. current. I've probably read that same information a gazillion times waiting for my first ever BC trip---------which is only 2 weeks away!!!!! :cheer2::cheer2::cheer2:

Also, just want to let everyone know that my son's surgery went well. Doc put a plate and 4 screws and thought it looked great. He got sick several times after we got home, but slept for a few hours and is feeling much better!

Love and grey goose slushie wishes to ALL!
Alice'

:wave2: Hi there, Rorey, and WELCOME! This is a fantastic thread with the nicest people around. The information (and a ton more) is located on the first couple pages of the thread. Dee (natebenma) does a GREAT job of keeping that info. current. I've probably read that same information a gazillion times waiting for my first ever BC trip---------which is only 2 weeks away!!!!! :cheer2::cheer2::cheer2:

Also, just want to let everyone know that my son's surgery went well. Doc put a plate and 4 screws and thought it looked great. He got sick several times after we got home, but slept for a few hours and is feeling much better!

Love and grey goose slushie wishes to ALL!
Alice'

Glad to hear your DS came through the surgery on his hand good.

Hi Amanda,

DD and I have eaten at Jiko many many times... that being said I also dislike the smell and taste of curry and I love Jiko, so pretty sure you will be able to avoid the curry!! Enjoy!

~Nannette

Thank you! Thank you!!!! You have alleviated my fears!

Amanda

thank you so much for your inut! That's great info to know. I am not sure if I'll need one at all, but it's good to know what my options are. If we were going today, I would need something because walking all day long would just be bad. Maybe in a couple of weeks things will be better but it's best to be prepared!! Do you know how much advance notice the rental places require?

I believe that the rental places can generally deliver same day if you call in the morning. Get some of the phone numbers from the disABILITIES! board and put them in your phone in case you need them. The front desk at your resort will have a few numbers as well (likely a couple of the companies you'll get here on the DIS). Call a couple places and find out their turnaround time.

If you do plan to wait and see how you're doing once you're there, just make sure that you don't wait until you're already at the point where you can't go any farther because by that point you may end up bed-ridden for a day or two. That's the last thing you want to do on vacation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter