2011 Super Goofs

suzannews

DIS Veteran
Going to try a yearly thread and see how it goes...post away my friends!

suzannews-Suzanne
airtime247-Steve
cindylou-Cindy
cotillard-Genny
disaholic's-Jeanne
disneymomma09-Ashleigh
froggygrrrl-Nicky
groovygirls-Joanne
hockeygirl-Laurie
jeanigor-Todd
jmasgat-Maura
ksoehrlein-Kim
lenshanem-Shan
mla1977-Megan
momhmmx2-Bettina
Mrs D-Dawn
pungodingy-Angie
roselark-Jeanette
SAHDad-Rich
sk8ingmom-M
skinsfan76-Jason
stenogoddess-Lauren
tutter99-Randy

Anyone else doing the 100 day challenge? I was on the bike for 30 mins last night. We'll see what happens tonight!

Well...I signed up for the 100 day challenge, but I'm not sure I did anything yesterday to qualify! I seemed to have strained some kind of rib muscle, or else done something to a rib. Tried to take it easy yesterday so I could get my 13-miler done today.

Didn't seem to matter! although I did do 13.1 (the extra .1 in harmony with everyone racing next weekend!)

Anyone have any goals for 2011? I'm still working on mine--besides the obvious one of "train for Boston".

I posted a general WISH-wide thread if anyone wants to chat up the others.

Have a good Sunday everyone. Last regular NFL game--I will miss the football once the bowls and playoffs are done.

Maura

I probably won't be technically doing the 100 day challenge - yesterday's run was a short one, not even 20 minutes, because I was more than a bit tired from waking up at an obscenely early hour (after a late New Year's night), loading the van, driving three hours and some, unloading the van, and putting two cranky kids to bed. I'm not sure that playing Tetris with the luggage and assorted Christmas debris really qualifies as "intentional movement". :)

HI Goofs!! No 100 day challenge for me, being pregnant, I figured I wouldn't be able to stick with it towards the end, although I am trying to do some walking a few times a week now, hope I can keep that up for awhile still.

Goals for the year are to get back into shape once the baby comes, hopefully do the NYC marathon (if I get in) and get ready for the 2012 Goofy, because I have vowed to do it next year!!!

Hope everyone had a great new year and to those going to WDW next weekend, have a great time! I will be cheering you on here in NJ!

I'm in for the 100 day challenge, so far so good!

I'm doing the 3M Half Marathon in Texas (end of January)..my first time going to Texas, and my first race without family with me...yikes! Hoping to find some WISHers going, then it will at least feel like I know someone there!

Good start to the year so far and pretty happy with 2010 results.
I've officially been running for 2 years now and will hopefully just build on that.

What is the 100 day Challenge?

Good luck to everyone running this weekend.

Glad to see all of you back for another year of being Super Goofy. Jason, the 100 Days Challenge is something that John Bingham (the Penguin) started with his Twitter/Facebook followers. You commit to doing 30 minutes of "intentional movement" every day for the first 100 days of 2011. We had a thunderstorm on 1/1 that canceled all outdoor activity, so I quit the challenge before I even got started.

I posted on Maura's thread about my big goal for 2011: the Jeff Gallloway Training Program is launching in Birmingham, AL, and I am going to be the program director. It's a huge step out of my comfort zone, but then again, so was running when I first started that.

Well, I haven't signed up for any 2011 races yet, but here is my tentative schedule for the first half of the year:

4/29 5k @ Illinois marathon
4/30 Illinois marathon (the two together are like a little mini-Goofy - extra bling, too!)
5/8 Kalamazoo marathon
5/21 CRUD 8 hour trail ultra

Time to start training. Did intervals yesterday, will start doing longer runs and hills this week as well.

Hey there,
I'd like to join the super goofs. I am 36 and married to my college sweetheart. Our 13 year anniversary was this past week and we are heading to WDW this weekend to celebrate and so I can run my first half marathon. We have 2 kids, DS is 8 and DD is 5.

I am new to running, and have 3 main running goals for 2011.
1. Improve my pace. I'd like to have a 5 or 10k with an average pace of sub 8 minute miles.
2. Train for the 2012 Goofy or Dopey. Since I haven't ever run more than 11 miles at a time this seems like a crazy goal, but I think by starting now I should be able to build up to it at a slow enough pace to not injure myself.

I am not sure if goal is the right term for it, but the other running related thing I am working on this year is helping my DW get back into jogging. She is a breast cancer survivor and the long term meds cause her joint pain. We are looking for fun ways and races to jog/walk together as a family. I am trying to support and encourage her, without pushing too hard.

Angie That's quite the thing going to Texas. Seems like we have quite a few WISHers down there. Where's the race? Good luck with your adventure!

Rich Looks like an interesting set of races. Seems like a few people are getting into trail races--of whatever length. Might be something for me to look into (post-April)

IamTrike Welcome to our humble group! Those are great goals. Since I have spent the last 2 years doing Disney half or full, I usually use the spring to train for a "fast 5k or 10k". For me that has meant under-50 min 10k and under 24 min 5 k. Sort of in your target neighborhood. I have used the "Run Less, Run Faster" plans and they have worked for me (based on 3 days of running: speedwork, temp, LR).

Several people on the WISH boards have gone Goofy without hvaing done a full before. I haven't done it yet, but I think it's doable. I hope to do Goofy next year.

I hope you and DW can find some events that work for you. I volunteered at the Komen race in Detroit this past May and it was a great event for breast cancer survivors to particpate in. Lots of walkers and runners...and groups of people supporting/including cancer survivors.

Maura

Rich[/B] Looks like an interesting set of races. Seems like a few people are getting into trail races--of whatever length. Might be something for me to look into (post-April)

Yeah, there are some good trail races out there. Only one in my list is trail, but I have been looking at Dances with Dirt for a few years now - mainly so I can make a shirt that says "I have raced to he11 and back, and only got this lousy shirt!"

IamTrike Welcome to the group! You have some very attainable goals. As Maura said, other WISHers have done a Goofy as their first full - you have a year to work up to it, which is also plenty of time to get ready. Good luck to you and your wife this year!

Hi Goofs! Sounds like everyone has some great goals for this year! My goals are:
1. Finish the Princess 1/2 on February 27 and get my Tiara medal!
2. Participate in our local 1/2 marathon in July
3. Run the major local 10K in August in under 1 hour

There are a couple of local 5k races I plan on participating in as well. Hopefully I will slow my training down sometime toward the end of the summer as we would like to make Colby a big brother!

Good luck to anyone running at WDW this weekend! I remember last year at this time reading about everyone going down for Marathon weekend. That is what inspired me to take up running again and participate in the Princess 1/2 this year! Last year 13 miles seemed nearly impossible. Now that I have run a long run of 7 miles, I actually feel like I will be able to finish!!

I will be with this group next year. I can not wait for 2012. I am signing up in Feb. I am thinking about doing a half in March. Good luck to everyone this weekend. I will be thinking of you of all.

Hey Goofs! Three times a charm :guilty:. I ran the WDW 1/2 in 2008 and the Full in 2010 and was a member of the Goofs for a few months both times, but then dropped off the face of the Earth (or at least the WISH boards).

My goal this year is to get back into a regular running routine, as I had a few health issues in 2010 that made my running sporadic. I plan on running the 2012 Goofy and would like to re-join the Super Goofs to help keep me accountable for my training...if you'll have me back???

:goodvibes For all those participating in this year's Marathon Weekend...have a great time...wish I was there!

Oh yeah...forgot to mention, I signed up for the 100 day challenge today.

One of my other goals is to get our dog out for walks more often. We have a 6 year-old boxer named Krush whose exercise usually consists of running a few laps around the back yard. He's not overweight and he's your typical happy boxer, but I know he enjoys his strolls around the neighborhood too. Got him out for a 30 min walk tonight, so day 1 of my 100 day challenge is complete!

Welcome iamtrike, mickeyncldkd and florida girl! Post your first names and I will add you to our list.

Did the Buzz and Woody Best Friends 5K this morning and although it was chilly at the start, it was a heat wave compared to last years 1/2 marathon start! As expected, a very crowded course with lots of walkers lined up near the front but a very fun race. Most races, my husband and daughter are waiting for me at the finish line and are ready to leave as soon as I cross so I never stand in line for pictures with the characters. Well, since its a Friday, my husband had to work and my daughter went to school this morning so after the race I got in line for a picture with Buzz and Woody. Waited about 40 minutes, got to the front of the line and my cheap camera decided not to work. Luckily a fellow Wisher was there and took a few pictures for me. Never fails!

Hope everyone has a great weekend!!

If you are doing the 100 day challenge, keep going!! Today makes 7 down and 93 to go!!

Suzanne--great job on the 5k! Glad that a fellow WISHer came through with some pics for you. Considering Tracy is the picture queen I am not surprised that she was there with her camera!

Saw some pictures on FB of the WISH meet and looks like you guys had a great crowd! Can't wait to hear more reports and see some more pics!

Good Luck to everyone else racing this weekend!

Ashleigh Great goals for the year. And it is rather inspiring to see everyon'es accomplishments and where they started from. It still inspires me in my running.

mickeyncldkd Welcome to the group! We look forward to hearing all about you and your training.

Shannon Welcome back! I think I'm in for Goofy next year, so we can go through the madness together! I am also in for the challenge and definitely count the dog walking as part of it--especially walking my dog, who insists on veering all over and peeing on anything he decides he wants to. It's quite a bit of "movement", although not always "Intentional" as they say on the challenge.

Suzanne Glad you had fun at the race, and I see from Tracey's pictures you made it to the POP meet. Hope it was fun.

Just following the race tracking for the half.....

Ryan Fantastic finish! Sub-2:00 is a pretty neat accomplishment. I hope it is a result you are proud of.

Maura

Thanks Maura. Since this was my first half breaking 2 hours was my goal. I am happy with the time and even happier to be done running today. :)
I hope everyone else running this weekend has a safe, fun time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter