2011 Resort Mugs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
:confused3 So it's okay if you don't get caught?

What a strange theory.

FWIW ~ SOME of the mugs that are brought back were originally sold as LIFETIME mugs.... so I'd use caution before getting too peeved about that.

We had one from Dixie Landings that was a LIFETIME mug. My house burnt down so I don't have it anymore.

We have been eight times in the last 12 months.... there are four of us. We have mugs for four (sometimes five) people for eight times. So yes 32 mugs.

I don't judge people who bring their mugs back because I have no idea what they were told when they originally bought them.

The new ones EXPLICITLY say they are good for the visit they were bought only.

In the long run you need to do what you think is the right thing and no one here can tell you what that is.

I think you misunderstand where the op is coming from....
It's not that he thinks it's ok if you don't get caught. It's that he thinks he doesn't want to spend money on something he already has ...so if it's a new one, he'll buy it because he doesn't have that one yet. If it's not a new one, he feels he can use his old one with a clear conscience...and I have to tend to agree - only because it's such an enormous waste of our natural resources to use 32 mugs for 4 people. You may be following Disney's rules, but you're slapping mother nature in the face. Just the way I see it - your own sense of what is right differs from mine, but I wouldn't call your morality into question over it.

Obviously since people have seen quite a few others refilling old mugs like dixie landings, disney doesnt view it as that large of an isssue.

Okay I have to be honest. I think its neat to bring the old Dixie Landings mug when staying at POR. I am sort of a nostalga buff. Obvoiusly I don't have strong feelings either way about whether to buy new or use old ones. Just can't get upset about something like that. Now line cutting............:confused:

It's not that he thinks it's ok if you don't get caught. It's that he thinks he doesn't want to spend money on something he already has ...so if it's a new one, he'll buy it because he doesn't have that one yet. If it's not a new one, he feels he can use his old one with a clear conscience...and I have to tend to agree - only because it's such an enormous waste of our natural resources to use 32 mugs for 4 people. You may be following Disney's rules, but you're slapping mother nature in the face. Just the way I see it - your own sense of what is right differs from mine, but I wouldn't call your morality into question over it.
:confused3 it isn't like I go home and throw the old mugs away. We use them all the time.

It sounds like OP is saying that if it isn't OBVIOUS (i.e. a different style cup) it is okay ~ but if it shows you are reusing the mug it drives OP insane... :confused3

I didn't call anyone's morality into question.... I said do what YOU think is right.

I believe I also said .... I DON'T judge people. Personally to quote my 5 year old... it's none of my beeswax what cup you are using.

If it's not a new one, he feels he can use his old one with a clear conscience...and I have to tend to agree - only because it's such an enormous waste of our natural resources to use 32 mugs for 4 people

What about the oil being consumed going to Disney 8 times during the timespan of one mug design? :laughing:

Feel sorry for the guy who started this thread...not sure why mugs are such a hot topic on here anyways. I mean who really cares??? There are bigger ethical issues in the world.

I worked at one of the top rated zoos in the nation and we changed our souvenir mugs every year. If Disney wants people to buy the mugs every year, then they should spend some money changing the design. I have never brought the old mugs back and reused them but I don't want a cabinet full of the same mugs either. I think it would be wiser to offer some sort of refill fee that you can pay for the week if you do want to bring your mug back.

No, but you are contradicting yourself. That is why I commented. I actually think the mugs should be able to be reused as they are expensive, but we don't buy them since we drink water instead of other beverages. Maybe you should have phrased your question differently in the beginning.

I'm sorry, I probably should of phrased the question and I'm sorry. To be honest I was just kinda looking for a simple "yes or "no" and here's what they are kinda thing. I didn't mean to open this can of worms. :(

Thank you, it's kinda what I was going for, the idea of money and what you just said. So with the wife and myself, this coming trip will be our 6th trip. We have two pop century mugs, two coronado springs, two of the "million dreams" mugs and two of the recent ones. Now we do reuse them when we get home for our own coffee, but the idea of going out and buying them when they are the same design is, I feel insane. We went two times last year, February and November. In over 5 years of being together, we've NEVER gone twice in a year. So it was rare, but the thought of having to buy 4 mugs (between Nov and this feb) of the same kind just seemed crazy, meaning we'd have 6 of the same mugs, but all I have to say is if I go down there and see there is new mugs, yes I will buy one!

Once again sincerely sorry for even bringing up this topic

Amazing this went on so far without getting panned. They're banned in minutes on the resort board. I have to admit I miss them as they're a good read.

oh gracious. the great mug debate. :)

has anyone ever taken their old mug and offered to pay for a refillable, without taking a new mug? i would gladly do that. i don't need more mugs of the same design. but i'd gladly pay to refill one of my current mugs.

i wish they'd bring back the resort-specific mugs. i know they won't. but it would be nice.

Threads like this really make me miss the planning grind. I wish we were going back before 2014. That is going to be a long wait.

has anyone ever taken their old mug and offered to pay for a refillable, without taking a new mug? i would gladly do that. i don't need more mugs of the same design. but i'd gladly pay to refill one of my current mugs.

If I drank soda or could stomach the "coffee" at WDW and was in the market for the mugs, I would certainly buy one once, then take it back and pay without taking another one!

(hubby, who likes the coffee there and bought one, feels different. as do my cousins. ugh.)

I'm sorry, I probably should of phrased the question and I'm sorry. To be honest I was just kinda looking for a simple "yes or "no" and here's what they are kinda thing. I didn't mean to open this can of worms. :(

Thank you, it's kinda what I was going for, the idea of money and what you just said. So with the wife and myself, this coming trip will be our 6th trip. We have two pop century mugs, two coronado springs, two of the "million dreams" mugs and two of the recent ones. Now we do reuse them when we get home for our own coffee, but the idea of going out and buying them when they are the same design is, I feel insane. We went two times last year, February and November. In over 5 years of being together, we've NEVER gone twice in a year. So it was rare, but the thought of having to buy 4 mugs (between Nov and this feb) of the same kind just seemed crazy, meaning we'd have 6 of the same mugs, but all I have to say is if I go down there and see there is new mugs, yes I will buy one!

Once again sincerely sorry for even bringing up this topic

I am sorry I jumped on you then. I did not mean to sound mean, and I am sorry if I did. Believe me, I agree that they are a waste of money and add to the production problems on our planet.

Mugs. Who knew they would inspire such vitriol?

Suellen, you started the post with "so if you don't get caught it's ok? what a strange theory"...it was saying that op thinks it's ok to steal if he doesn't get caught. That's calling his morality into question.
I have 4 of those mugs...I've already thrown away a bunch of them and don't even use the ones that are still sitting in my closet. It's a huge waste. It didn't really hit me until we hired a dumpster and purged our house, but after seeing how much waste we contribute, it bothers me now. Anything made of plastic is not only not biodegradable, it consumes alot of fossil fuels to create. I'm not a complete tree hugger, but do we really need to pay the Saudi's to make Disney mugs that noone needs?
They can put a colored ring of some sort on the one I bring back and charge me whatever they want - as long as I don't have to contribute to the landfill problem. But if I have to choose between "stealing" soda and needlessly consuming fossil fuels while adding to the piles of garbage that will eventually choke our planet...I have to go with the lesser of two evils.
And as I said, OP didn't say anything about not getting caught...he just doesn't want to buy another mug that looks exactly the same as the one he already has.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter