2011 "Large Ship" Cruise Line Rankings

com_op_2000

DVC Member since '93; One Hour from WDW
Are Seabourn and Crystal Cruises the world's best cruise lines? That's the word this week from Travel & Leisure, which is out with its closely-watched World's Best Awards for 2011.

Derived from a survey of Travel & Leisure readers and published in the August issue now on newsstands, the rankings once again put Crystal No. 1 among large-ship lines with a score of 92.45. Seabourn is tops among small-ship cruise lines with a score of 93.3.

Runners-up among large-ship lines: Regent Seven Seas Cruises (90.14); Oceania Cruises (86.42); Disney Cruise Line (85.70); and Cunard Line (84.27).

Rounding out the top five in the small-ship line category are Silversea Cruises (90.03); Lindblad Expeditions (89.25); SeaDream Yacht Club (88.33); and Windstar Cruises (85.63).

In a separate category for river cruise lines, Tauck came in at No. 1 with a score of 90.06, followed by Uniworld (88.70); Viking (86.76); AmaWaterways (85.23); and Avalon Waterways (84.27) .

Other major lines? The survey gave Azamara Club Cruises a score of 82.51, putting it sixth among big-ship lines just behind Cunard (the two lines flip-flopped positions from last year). Celebrity Cruises was not far behind with a score of 81.92, placing it seventh among big-ship lines. Celebrity scored just a tad better than rivals Holland America (81.29), Royal Caribbean (80.28) and Princess Cruises (79.81).

The survey, conducted in associated with research firm ROI Research Inc., asked readers to rate cruise lines for their cabins, food, service, itineraries/destinations, activities and value.

Cruise Loggers, do you agree with the results? Which lines would you put at the top?

Listed below is the Travel & Leisure Magazine 2011 Cruise Line Rankings for "Large Ships". I would think, based on these scores; it looks like Disney ranked at #4 is in very good company indeed. Just my 2 cents worth. :cool1:

Large-Ship Cruise Lines
RANK NAME SCORE

1 Crystal Cruises 92.45
2 Regent Seven Seas 90.14
3 Oceania Cruises 86.42

4 Disney Cruise Line 85.70

5 Cunard Line 84.27
6 Azamara Club Cruises 82.51
7 Celebrity Cruises 81.92
8 Holland America Line 81.29
9 Royal Caribbean 80.28
10 Princess Cruises 79.81

Listed below is the Travel & Leisure Magazine 2011 Cruise Line Rankings for "Large Ships". I would think, based on these scores; it looks like Disney ranked at #4 is in very good company indeed. Just my 2 cents worth. :cool1:

Large-Ship Cruise Lines
RANK NAME SCORE

1 Crystal Cruises 92.45
2 Regent Seven Seas 90.14
3 Oceania Cruises 86.42

4 Disney Cruise Line 85.70

5 Cunard Line 84.27
6 Azamara Club Cruises 82.51
7 Celebrity Cruises 81.92
8 Holland America Line 81.29
9 Royal Caribbean 80.28
10 Princess Cruises 79.81

I thought NCL would be there too :confused3

I don't consider Crystal, Regent, Oceania, or Azamara to have "large" cruise ships!

If they had asked me, I would've put Princess ahead of Royal Caribbean.

The survey, conducted in associated with research firm ROI Research Inc., asked readers to rate cruise lines for their cabins, food, service, itineraries/destinations, activities and value.

Any details how the survey's were weighted or even asked..??

I don't know about Oceania (other than I wouldn't fly them :lmao:), but Crystal and Regent serve a completely different client base than Disney. They tend to be higher end / and very formal so I think Disney faired extremely well compared to their main competitors and overall. :thumbsup2

Can we make this thread a 'sticky' so we can cite this the next time someone starts saying much better 'other cruise lines' are than Disney?! :-)

These results are "as voted by readers" of Travel and Leisure Magazine. The results in all of the "Best of" categories seems heavily weighted towards Disney.

Excuse me if I take this all with a grain of salt :rolleyes1

These results are "as voted by readers" of Travel and Leisure Magazine. The results in all of the "Best of" categories seems heavily weighted towards Disney.

Excuse me if I take this all with a grain of salt :rolleyes1

So do you think lots of children read T & L Magazine and skewed the results? :-)

Travel and Leisure magazine is owned by American Express and has a publication of only 4.8 million magazines a month and published monthly. It is a small publication. Its polls would be skewed toward the American Express card holders who probably own the mailing list and credit card list.

I'm not surprised that Crystal topped the list, but it's a luxury cruise line, as are those ranked #2 and #3. However, at 51,044 tons/922 passengers (Crystal Symphony) and 68,000 tons/1,072 passengers (Crystal Serenity) - it shouldn't have been in the same voting category as the much larger ships of Disney, Celebrity, Royal Caribbean, and Princess.

Carnival is the number #1 cruise line in the industry, over 52% of the cruising passengers, in passengers cruising. There must be a reason. I have enjoyed the cruises I have gone on with that company.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter