2011-2013 model Kia and Hyundai refund

mdsouth

DIS Veteran
I just saw this article that states that kia and hyundai overstated the gas mileage of their cars and must now give out refunds to consumers. The refunds will be in the form of debit cards and given out annually for as long as the owner owns the car. Below is a link to the original article and another link to the actual site where owners put in a claim for the refund.

http://t.news.msn.com/us/epa-finds-hyundai-kia-overstated-gas-mileage

For information, owners can go to www.hyundaimpginfo.com or www.kiampginfo.com

I called about my 2012 Sorento and was told the only model affected (for my make and year) are those with "GDI - gas direct injection" feature. Bummed about not getting a debit card - but happy that I got what I paid for! This is my third Kia and I LOVE it!

Thank you! DH and I were just talking this week about the mileage on his 2012 Hyundai and wondered if he was getting the gas mileage we expected. Checked the VIN and he's eligible, so we'll be talking to the dealer sometime this week.

Thank you! DH and I were just talking this week about the mileage on his 2012 Hyundai and wondered if he was getting the gas mileage we expected. Checked the VIN and he's eligible, so we'll be talking to the dealer sometime this week.

I called about my 2012 Sorento and was told the only model affected (for my make and year) are those with "GDI - gas direct injection" feature. Bummed about not getting a debit card - but happy that I got what I paid for! This is my third Kia and I LOVE it!

I am glad I was able to share the news with those it affected. I don't own a Hyundai or Kia but came across the information and have often been helped by other DISers in the past. So, I was glad I was able to pay if forward!

My car did not qualify but thanks for the info.

I have a 2011 Kia Sportage and my car does not get anywhere near the milage stated on the sticker but mine does not qualify.
I do plan on calling the EPA number that is listed in the article on Monday and asking if they are planning on extending it.
I had a 2008 Sportage that I traded in for the 2011. I liked the older styling much better, and I seemed to get better milage although the new one has a better engine.

THANKS SO MUCH !!!! My DD just told me last week that her brand new Kia is not getting the MPG they told her . She had no idea till I called her tonight that this was a option .

Thanks for posting! While I love my 2012 sonata,it doesn't really get what they promised,mileage wise...(though it's pretty good overall):love: gonna check if we're eligible though!

Thanks so much for the information! I have a 2012 Sorrento - love it - and I did qualify for the reimbursement - will be going to the dealer this week to put it through. Awesome - more money for our February 2012 trip to WDW! :)

Thanks for the information. My daughter's 2012 Hyundai Accent qualifies. She is supposed to get a $163.22 reinbursement; I'm assuming in a gas card. Is that one time, or is that for as long as she owns her car?

We are trying to register. We press the button to register, and nothing happens. Is the server down? Are too many people registering (on a Sunday morning)? Should DD get something in the mail?

Thanks so much OP! I read about this earlier today - then forgot. My car qualifies, although I'd rather it really could achieve the mpg listed on the sticker. I've tried everything to get that mileage. DH makes jokes about it. Now we know its not my fault HaHa :goodvibes Thanks again.

My DH and I are at odds on this one.

My car, a 2012 Veloster, qualifies. When I purchased it, the sticker said between 30 city and 40 highway. I routinely get 37 mpg.

I am happy with the mileage I get and it is well within the range. I don't think I should take the rebate. My DH does.

Obviously, its nice to get some unexpected money and they admit they were wrong and are being responsible by providing these gift cards. However, to me, I don't feel like I was duped and if I take their money, it would be like taking something that didn't belong to me.

Would you take the rebate even if were getting the advertised mileage? Obviously, if I weren't getting the mileage, I would definitely be taking their money as I bought my care almost solely on the mpg.

Thanks very much for posting!!! My Kia is listed. I qualify for $80!!!! :thumbsup2Hopefully enough to buy my son a bike!:cool1: Thanks!
BTW, I love my Kia Sorrento!

My DH and I are at odds on this one.

My car, a 2012 Veloster, qualifies. When I purchased it, the sticker said between 30 city and 40 highway. I routinely get 37 mpg.

I am happy with the mileage I get and it is well within the range. I don't think I should take the rebate. My DH does.

Obviously, its nice to get some unexpected money and they admit they were wrong and are being responsible by providing these gift cards. However, to me, I don't feel like I was duped and if I take their money, it would be like taking something that didn't belong to me.

Would you take the rebate even if were getting the advertised mileage? Obviously, if I weren't getting the mileage, I would definitely be taking their money as I bought my care almost solely on the mpg.

Yay you. :)

We've taken part in those types of settlements, like with 24 Fitness. They did the thing to us that they got in trouble for, and it did cost us money. So we took the whopping $20 and were happy to have gotten that. But some other things we officially qualify for we haven't been harmed by or haven't experienced, so we don't take part in them.

I imagine the money is supposed to offset the extra gas costs that weren't anticipated by purchasers. Since you aren't experiencing those higher costs, it makes sense that you shouldn't take part in it.

But if it were me, I would make sure I was getting 30 in town and 40 on the highway, rather than just look at an average between the two.

We definitely qualify and although we love our 2012 Soul it has never gotten anywhere near what we were promised in mpg. And this is a huge problem as we already are due well over $300 according to the estimator at the website.

Problem is, I can not get the site to take my information! ugh. I will continue to try.

One commuter who travels over 200 miles daily to work round trip and another driver who regularly takes (at least 3x weekly 50 mile round trips adds up quickly. So glad we can take the train often and do!

Anyone else have trouble putting in their info?
We would buy another KIA given the chance. We love both our Optima and Soul.

GO NOW!!! the website is up and running and I was able to register for our rebate.

Everyone must be watching the election tonight. No idea that will do to our little bit of money we have left but I do know I can now get $350 plus dollars back within 15 business days! Woo Hoo!

We definitely qualify and although we love our 2012 Soul it has never gotten anywhere near what we were promised in mpg. And this is a huge problem as we already are due well over $300 according to the estimator at the website.

Problem is, I can not get the site to take my information! ugh. I will continue to try.

One commuter who travels over 200 miles daily to work round trip and another driver who regularly takes (at least 3x weekly 50 mile round trips adds up quickly. So glad we can take the train often and do!

Anyone else have trouble putting in their info?
We would buy another KIA given the chance. We love both our Optima and Soul.

How much mileage do you have on your car? We have a 2012 Rio and we started at 9 miles and are over 10K now and it said it only owed us a penny! :rotfl:

But I was having problems with the site too.

We have a Soul which qualifies for the biggest refund because our milage was off by the most.

We also started at 10 miles and now have 14,500 on the Soul.

I think our refund is up to $340 or $370 by now? Can't remember exactly. I will take it to dealership for confirmation of exact milage tomorrow after our normal wed night runs which will add another 70milesplus to to the total.

Also check to make sure you put the correct year{s} in on the form

I am glad I was able to share the news with those it affected. I don't own a Hyundai or Kia but came across the information and have often been helped by other DISers in the past. So, I was glad I was able to pay if forward!

Thank you so much, my DH had seen the article but doubtful he would have ever followed through on this without this extra nudge.

I will and am following thru!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter