2011-2012 Boston Bruins (Offseason)

Well, that kind of sucked last night...I was standing with a bunch of Caps fans in Hershey after our game when they said that the Caps won. Not that I am not happy for the Caps players that used to be Hershey Bears, but I wanted some of our guys back to help Hershey out.

Now that the Bruins are out...I guess I will go with Ottawa (if they can get past game 7) and Nashville!!

As my DW put it last night, well now we can focus our attention on hating the current Red Sox team...

Oh well the B's fought hard and lost, no shame in fighting hard and losing. Hopefully Horton is back healthy next year and they can figure out the Power Play.

I am now rooting for the Rangers, I typically hate all things NY but they are an Original Six so that overrides my hatred.

:sad::sad:

Oh well.... I'm just gonna drown my sorrows in cupcakes and hope for better luck next year

I guess that means I can bring out the hat again in this warm weather haha

Even though it was the...BRUINS...who took out my Lightning in last years's semis in GAME 7..I hate the Caps and SO wanted Boston to take them out! :mad::mad::mad:

Anyone with me in a Lets Go Rangers??!!!! :cheer2::cheer2:

Well... It's been a rough few days, but I'm finally ready to update the thread. I thought for sure that the B's would win that last game. Even when they went into OT, I KNEW that they'd pull it out. BDLsgal was more realistic and was better adjusted to handle what happened. Not me. An explative yelled here, and a brooding there, and the 2011-12 season and Stanley Cup defense was over.

I'm not going to nit pick the game and point to "what-ifs" and "if-onlys". The Caps demonstrated that they wanted it more. What kills me is that at the trade deadline, the B's were looking at both Knuble and Roloston. But Knuble was taken off the table because of an end of the season push by the Caps to get into the playoffs. I'm not saying that I didn't like the Roloston pick up. I'm just saying it hurts to get beat by a former Bruin who was 1 or 2 losses away from being a Bruin again.

I'll keep updating the thread throughout the Summer. My opinion of the playoffs. Trade rumors. Draft picks. Free agents period. And training camp. I will start a new thread in the Fall. I'll hope I'll be able to come up with a creative title. I hope MORE that the Bruins can trade Krejci to free up the money to pursue Parise. One thing that I'll really be keeping an eye on, is the status of the season tickets and the wait list. If the wait list is completely opened up, then we know just how many fair weather, band wagon, trendy fans were actually there this year.

Thank you for following along and all your contributions throughout the year. Like the old Sox credo used to go: "There's always next year." I just hope it doesn't take another 86 years to get the Cup.

Well... It's been a rough few days, but I'm finally ready to update the thread. I thought for sure that the B's would win that last game. Even when they went into OT, I KNEW that they'd pull it out. BDLsgal was more realistic and was better adjusted to handle what happened. Not me. An explative yelled here, and a brooding there, and the 2011-12 season and Stanley Cup defense was over.

I'm not going to nit pick the game and point to "what-ifs" and "if-onlys". The Caps demonstrated that they wanted it more. What kills me is that at the trade deadline, the B's were looking at both Knuble and Roloston. But Knuble was taken off the table because of an end of the season push by the Caps to get into the playoffs. I'm not saying that I didn't like the Roloston pick up. I'm just saying it hurts to get beat by a former Bruin who was 1 or 2 losses away from being a Bruin again.

I'll keep updating the thread throughout the Summer. My opinion of the playoffs. Trade rumors. Draft picks. Free agents period. And training camp. I will start a new thread in the Fall. I'll hope I'll be able to come up with a creative title. I hope MORE that the Bruins can trade Krejci to free up the money to pursue Parise. One thing that I'll really be keeping an eye on, is the status of the season tickets and the wait list. If the wait list is completely opened up, then we know just how many fair weather, band wagon, trendy fans were actually there this year.

Thank you for following along and all your contributions throughout the year. Like the old Sox credo used to go: "There's always next year." I just hope it doesn't take another 86 years to get the Cup.

Like you I had to wait for some time to pass before I could post. The only thing I felt totally different from you as I didn't feel that the Bruins wanted the Game 7 win at all!:furious:I knew from a few minutes into Game 7 that they weren't going to win. NOTHING like they were in last season's playoff games.

:offtopic:When I found out about Junior Seau my jaw hit the floor. Junior was one of those rare people that you respected even when he wasn't on your team because he played the game right and off the field, he was the person others strove to be. There has been speculation that this could be related to the years of head shots he must have taken plus the possibilty of substance use (not abuse). I don't know. I just know it's NOT FAIR that things like this happens to the good people.

R.I.P. Junior, You are leaving a hole in many lives.

Had to say that. I'll get back to the Bruins next time.

The 3rd round now has it's first member. The Kings swept the Blues. Wow! I did not see that one coming. I mean, the Kings definitely had the firepower to make it to the Conference Finals. But think about their road...

In back to back series, The Kings have knocked off the #1 and the #2 seeds in only 9 games.

Yeah, LA has been playing fantastic. I was more impressed with the sweep over St Louis than the win over the Canucks.
Right now I've got NY/Wash on and I am still totally frustrated over the Caps style of play. Totally boring. Keep it close, block every shot then go for it in the last five minutes or OT. I want them to fall so badly.

Yeah, LA has been playing fantastic. I was more impressed with the sweep over St Louis than the win over the Canucks.
Right now I've got NY/Wash on and I am still totally frustrated over the Caps style of play. Totally boring. Keep it close, block every shot then go for it in the last five minutes or OT. I want them to fall so badly.

But you can't fault them for it. They've tried playing their open ice style of play that they play in the regular season, in past play-off series and it's gotten them bounced in early rounds. This is the type of hockey that was the key to success that NJ used in their prime years.

On a side note, 98.5 this morning was debating "Who are the Bruins' greatest rivals right now?" Rich said Vancouver. Fred and Wallach both said Montreal. I agree with the latter. Even though they had an off year, thoughout history, the Habs have always been their to upend the Bruins. And the animosity among the fans and players is genuine. As is the mutual respect. 2 of the 3 components needed for a great rivalry. The other, familiarity. Which the B's and Habs have in abundance

What's your opinion? Are the Habs still the #1 rival? Has the hatred for Vancouver sprung them to the top of the list? Has the recent defeat at the hands of the Caps made them a rivalry? And what about Toronto, Buffalo, Philadelphia, Carolina and Tampa Bay? Where do they reside in the rivalry list?

But you can't fault them for it. They've tried playing their open ice style of play that they play in the regular season, in past play-off series and it's gotten them bounced in early rounds. This is the type of hockey that was the key to success that NJ used in their prime years.

On a side note, 98.5 this morning was debating "Who are the Bruins' greatest rivals right now?" Rich said Vancouver. Fred and Wallach both said Montreal. I agree with the latter. Even though they had an off year, thoughout history, the Habs have always been their to upend the Bruins. And the animosity among the fans and players is genuine. As is the mutual respect. 2 of the 3 components needed for a great rivalry. The other, familiarity. Which the B's and Habs have in abundance

What's your opinion? Are the Habs still the #1 rival? Has the hatred for Vancouver sprung them to the top of the list? Has the recent defeat at the hands of the Caps made them a rivalry? And what about Toronto, Buffalo, Philadelphia, Carolina and Tampa Bay? Where do they reside in the rivalry list?

For me the Habs greatest rival is the Bruins followed by Toronto. Toronto is only still there because Montreal and Toronto are two of the major cities in Canada and they have history, similar to Montreal-Boston. The biggest difference though is that Boston has been a credible opponent for years and actually care about winning, unlike the Maple Leaf organization.

I agree: Montreal is still on top for rivalry. Vancouver, right now, makes for a good once-a-year match to hype up but the history isn't there. Before those finals the only Bos-Van connection I can think of was the trade to get Cam Neely. As the teams change personel this simmering hate will fade. The Habs are forever.
I'm not faulting the Caps for their style of play, particularly since it's working for them, I'm just saying it's dull. So were the Devils of the trap years. They won Cups with it, but it wasn't fun to watch.
Hats off to the Rangers last night. They did what the Bruins SHOULD have done. Attack the net, attack the puck, hammer away and when a late opportunity presents itself-take advantage! That's the kind of loss that can demoralize a team.

THANK YOU RANGERS!!
So glad the Caps are out. Maybe now we'll see some real hockey.

Watched the LA/PHO game last night and LA is for real. 9-1 record, six straight road wins-unheard of, and Pho plays that same shot blocking game the Caps did. But LA kept charging, kept their feet moving and eventually wore the Coyotes down. Do you realize if they win this series they would have knocked off all 3 top seeds in the conference? That's a team to get behind.

Finally... The last piece of the puzzle is in place. The Cup is as good as our's next year. Chris Bourque is coming back to Boston.

Umm... What?

He does have impressive minor league stats. But not much at the NHL level. You think Ray might have called his buddy Cam and said "Hey Cam. Do me a favor and trade for Chris. It will really boost his confidence. Plus, we're kinda short handed at the restaurant. I could really use him to wait tables part time."

Ha Ha Ha. You forgot to have the B's lay a claim on his first born- you know about talent skipping a generation.

How about the finals? How do you stop LA? This should be good.

Ha Ha Ha. You forgot to have the B's lay a claim on his first born- you know about talent skipping a generation.

How about the finals? How do you stop LA? This should be good.

I think the Kings will win in 5. And some of the games will be complete blow outs.

Well, this has been an interesting day.
Paille signed, great.
Bourque signed, yawn.
Thomas may sit out next year. WOW!

I don't know if this is just a bargaing ploy by him or if he's just had it here. If he really wants to leave then, well, thanks for the great run. You will always be DA MAN as a goalie, even if you act like an idiot off ice. You can always form a club with Schilling for Boston heroes that some people can't stand for their off-field activities or politics. But I'll think of you with gladness.

Well, this has been an interesting day.
Paille signed, great.
Bourque signed, yawn.
Thomas may sit out next year. WOW!

I don't know if this is just a bargaing ploy by him or if he's just had it here. If he really wants to leave then, well, thanks for the great run. You will always be DA MAN as a goalie, even if you act like an idiot off ice. You can always form a club with Schilling for Boston heroes that some people can't stand for their off-field activities or politics. But I'll think of you with gladness.

I am literally shocked that Paille re-signed. More so than what he signed for. He must really like his linemates and pal-ing around with Bergie on the road trips.

I haven't seen the deal for Jr. I can't imagine it would be much more than a Providence contract.

Timmy... I think he is just trying to manipulate events in his favor. I believe his ideal scenarios would be:
1) Stay with the B's, this yr and hope to get starter money as a 50-65% starter in free agency.
2) Keep posturing. This would be his form of a limited no trade clause. "Columbus, I sitting out. Detroit, I'll go."
3) Sit out. Eventually, the Bruins would have to play him, trade him or eat his contract. And unlike Savard's contract, there is no salary cap deferment.
4) Be traded and bite his lip for a year.

The first scenario, I don't think is too likely. Rask is restricted this year, Khudobin stepped up iin his time in net. And the B's just signed another Scandanavian wonder in net.

2 & 3 seem the most likely. It's a way that everyone can walk away.

#4 is Timmy's worst case scenario. As I heard a caller say on 98.5 yesterday, the B's can trade Timmy to a team who needs that fictional salary cap money to reach the floor minimum. And if Timmy doesn't want to play, that team doesn't have to pay him and they have satisfied their league requirements.

It will be interesting to see how it plays out.

And I'm with you SteveA. I can seperate Timmy the player from Timmy the activist and Timmy the negotiator.

Thought I heard this morning that he wanted to sit out so he could be ready and play during the 2014 olympics. If true, that seems a mite selfish to me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter