2010 Norovirus is here!

its here in Ontario to! My sister in law had it 4 days before we left for Mexico .. went thru her whole house cept her oldest son! They had it bad.... alot of others I know have had it to... spreads very easy lasted 2 days each for them throwing up then the poops! It is contagest up to 36 hours after the poops have stoped I read.

A little OT, but I actually witnessed this scenario a few years ago while waiting at a Disney resort hotel for our dinner ADR.........

Child has a "protein spill" in the waiting area. A CM quickly comes by to do a quick wipe up and then leaves to get the sanitary supplies to properly clean and disinfect the area. This family leaves for the rest room to clean up and comfort the child.

In the meantime (like 30 seconds later, the CM did come back in a few minutes with the proper supplies) another family comes by, with an young daughter (about 4 or 5) exited to be at Disney so she's running around the waiting area. She takes a tumble and hits her knee right on the spill spot and starts to cry. Mom of course kisses the boo-boo knee, the one that just skidded into the not-so-sanitary protein spill area!:eek:

Moral of the story is that ya never know in a crowded place like Disney who or what has been there before you.

:rotfl2: I love the term "protein spill"!!! That is excellent. I had something when I was in Disney this January. I don't know what it was but I was in pain. I thought it was food poisoning but who knows. :confused3

We're seeing a good amount of viral gastroenteritis in MD also, not sure if its Noro or not but its probably that or Rota. They are the 2 most common causes. Not unusual this time of year. Usually calms down by April but some years it shows up/disappears later. Ex. last year it was bad in Dec. and then again in Feb.

Here's to hoping no one gets noro-virus on their trip!:wizard::wizard::wizard::wizard::wizard:

We had it here about 2 weeks ago.. nasty little bug that's for sure. :sick:

i've had issues w/thumb sucking child too. have you tried nail polish..or the icky stuff that you paint on nails specifically to help break sucking (I can't remember the name, but I'm sure you could google it!)

hope yall keep healthy!

Thanks for the advice. I have not tried those things yet because I just feel bad doing it :sad2: After talking to our dentist last year we figured we would give her until she was 3 and then do something to try to break the habit. I am so nervous about our trip though and that she is going to pick up every icky germ there is :scared1:

We have a confirmed outbreak in the Elementary school that DD goes to and I substitute teach at. On Friday we have 84 called in absent, and then another 30 sent home. Today we had a bit less absent but still a bunch sent home, I'm sure this is the quiet before the storm. We have the Health Dept. tracking it and our numbers. We are a confirmed case. Some parents thought that they should have closed the school, but oh well. Just keep washing your hands!!

I think this is going around where I live too. My daughter came down with it 3 weeks ago, then me, then my son. My husband is the only one who escaped, lucky him.

Our 2 1/2 year old came down VERY sick on the last day of our stay at the Disney Contemporary Resort this past Wednesday.
Someone at the resort threw up in on of the elevators and I walked into with with my daughter in her stroller before I realized there was throw up ALL OVER the floor.
She literally threw up about 20 times in a span of 5 hours the next day and we had to rush her to her pediatrician and then to the Children's Hospital for re-hydration.
The next day, I came down with the same symptoms and my husband came down with it last night in the early hours of the morning.
I don't think I have ever been this sick since I had food poisoning but that was ruled out by our daughter's blood work taken at the hospital.
Please be VERY careful and carry hand sanitizer every where you go! Bring lysol and lysol wipes and clean your own room!

I work in Pa in a hospital..We are sure it is noro-virus

I am in PA and it is here in DS's school. WE all just had it. NASTY!! I was sooo sick and it was just NOT fun. I feel bad for people if they paid for a vacation and got that sick!

I wiped down everything and used sanitizer, but if it is in the air there isn't much you can do (or at least that is what I was told.) We all still got it.

I was on a cruise board as we will be going on a cruise this April and the noro has hit there big time, too.
One of the cruises is being delayed a day to try to give them some extra time to sanatize the ship as so many people had it on the previous sailing.

Remember that there is a difference between hand washing and PROPER hand washing! A few guidelines to keep in mind:

-Hot Running Water (at least 100 degrees)
-Use Soap
-Scrub hands and arms for AT LEAST 10-15 SECONDS- this is the step that gets skipped most often, 10-15 seconds is longer than it seems.
-DRY hands using either a forced air hand dryer OR a single use paper towel

The total process should take around 20 seconds!
only chlorine bleach kills norovirus, so you can use all the alcohol based sanitizer you like, it won't kill norovirus. Proper hand washing however, will wash the virus away. With that being said... It is super contagious, and it is transferred by person-to-person contact as well as water particles in the air, so all you have to do is WALK by a place where someone got sick from norovirus and you can ge sick.

Stay home or away from the parks if you have GI symptoms, and wash your hands!

We are in PA and my ds2 had it, gave it to me, so far dh and the other 4 kids are in the clear....good thing I'm a lysol junkie!

Another Wisconsinite here to chime in it has reached us as well. It seems to come on suddenly, meaning kids in school can't even make it to the bathroom in time...............

I hope it moves fast, we leave in 26 days. If my kids are going to get it, I hope they get it NOW!!

:rotfl: I love unintentional puns!!! :rotfl:

It's all over! My entire family and many others had it just recently here in SW Florida. Wash your hands like crazy but sometimes you still can't stop it- it's so contagious.

DS, age four, was sick on New Year's Eve and then I came down with it New Year's Day. He was better in a few hours, but I was sick for two days. Does anyone know if this is the same virus? He had Rotovirus when he was a baby and had to be hospitalized. It was terrifying. That being said, I know one of my nieces received a Rotovirus vaccine (it wasn't available when our son was a baby). So, is this thing the same or something different?

From what I have read, they are two totally different viruses.
Our DD is still getting over it and it's day 3 for her. We are in day 2 now and still feeling awful. :headache:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter