2010 Free Dining Discussion-Free Dining released for everyone (see 1st post)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last year I got free dining in September and then I got another Pin for Free dining for December, not sure if it was open for the public but I did get a code for December of 2009

I think it is assumed that the December was a one off situation and should not be expected. August September free dining is a little more expected as it has happened multiple years. December FD I dont think I'd hold my breath...id turn blue and keel over lol

I think it is assumed that the December was a one off situation and should not be expected. August September free dining is a little more expected as it has happened multiple years. December FD I dont think I'd hold my breath...id turn blue and keel over lol

I agree with you about Free Dining in December I think that promotion was because of the economy last year, I am bankN on September's Free Dining I have done it the last 2 years.

Just as many people are saying they'll abandon Disney and go to Universal Studios if a good fall deal isn't announced - that should downright terrify any WDW execs reading these boards. Abandoning ship for their biggest competition isn't an easy pill to swallow, especially from hardcore Disney nuts (or at least those hardcore enough to join and religiously check these boards :rotfl:!!).

jmho, i doubt if those who are looking for FDP @ either a value or moderate could make the same travel budget work for same # of days for Universal onsite, especially if factoring in meals.:confused3

the FDP has only been offered since Aug '05 as '04 was very active storm season & they needed to fill the rooms.

By offering it for so many years now, it'd be hard for those who have come to expect it to pay full fare for DP I'd imagine...must say, we luved it last Dec.;)

jmho, i doubt if those who are looking for FDP @ either a value or moderate could make the same travel budget work for same # of days for Universal onsite, especially if factoring in meals.:confused3

the FDP has only been offered since Aug '05 as '04 was very active storm season & they needed to fill the rooms.

By offering it for so many years now, it'd be hard for those who have come to expect it to pay full fare for DP I'd imagine...must say, we luved it last Dec.;)

I agree about staying on site at Universal, thier hotels are very expensive, even with a good deal they do not come close to a value at WDW, and I have not heard very good things about thier dining plan, mostly because of the lack of variety. BUT if I could stay somewhere off site for even just a few dollars less than a value that had a kitchen (which is very easy to do) the savings in eating out, even if just for breakfast and some dinners, offsets the cost of a rental car and still saves tons of money. We have done it both ways and since we come back for a break in the middle of the day, we would eat breakfast in the hotel, lunch at the park and most dinners at the hotel, then back to the parks for the night. For a family of six spaghetti and meatballs, tacos, shepards pie, chicken cesear salad, or chili and cheese on a bun would cost $15 dollars each to make, a WDW dinner would be closer to $120.

Last year I got free dining in September and then I got another Pin for Free dining for December, not sure if it was open for the public but I did get a code for December of 2009

I actually EXPECT it to be in Dec as well this year. I got PINS for it the last 2 years and it was open to Visa holders in 2008 and the public in 2009. I would be very surprised if that wasn't offered again. Or some other great deal. To me the best would be the buy 4 get 3 free with a $200 gift card. We really liked that promo in 2009 spring

I agree about staying on site at Universal, thier hotels are very expensive, even with a good deal they do not come close to a value at WDW, and I have not heard very good things about thier dining plan, mostly because of the lack of variety. BUT if I could stay somewhere off site for even just a few dollars less than a value that had a kitchen (which is very easy to do) the savings in eating out, even if just for breakfast and some dinners, offsets the cost of a rental car and still saves tons of money. We have done it both ways and since we come back for a break in the middle of the day, we would eat breakfast in the hotel, lunch at the park and most dinners at the hotel, then back to the parks for the night. For a family of six spaghetti and meatballs, tacos, shepards pie, chicken cesear salad, or chili and cheese on a bun would cost $15 dollars each to make, a WDW dinner would be closer to $120.

BUT I would NEVER cook while on vacation. It defeats the being on vacation part for me

we are another party of 6 that currently have 2 rooms booked at a value. If FD or another good promo isn't offered we will still be going to Florida, but will cancel our Disney ressies and stay off-site. We've always wanted to check out US, Sea World, and other area attractions, so if no offers, this will be our year to check those out.

we are another party of 6 that currently have 2 rooms booked at a value. If FD or another good promo isn't offered we will still be going to Florida, but will cancel our Disney ressies and stay off-site. We've always wanted to check out US, Sea World, and other area attractions, so if no offers, this will be our year to check those out.

I agree with you that if you don't get free DDP you should stay off site. You can rent a 3 or 4 bedroom house in a great development for less than you'd pay for two tiny rooms in the All-Star resorts.

I found a great 3 bed condo for our group of 3 for less than $70 per night. Coronado Springs would have been $175 per night (rack rate to get the "free" dining). Multiply by 10 nights, I'm saving over $1050 on the room! We'll never spend anywhere near that much to eat, even if we eat out the whole trip.

We are looking at some really nice condos with kitchens for excellent prices for what you get, and there are great prices out there for unlimited 14day Sea World/Aquatica/Busch Garden passes. We would bounce around at those parks while staying at the condo/suite (and the nice resort pool), mostly eat using the kitchen, then splurge and move to a night or two at Universal to get FOTL and eat at some TS. For our particular case, this would actually cost us less the WDW with FD! It wouldn't be the same type of vacation, but fun and it has its pros. We're still hoping for our old favorite of FD, but this would also be a nice, but different vacation, with many, many things we have not done yet.

I was planning to go August 24th to the 30th but am starting to become nervous on booking! I am afraid they will not offer any deals. Does anyone have any advice for me on what to do. It is also my first time booking the trip on my own.

I was planning to go August 24th to the 30th but am starting to become nervous on booking! I am afraid they will not offer any deals. Does anyone have any advice for me on what to do. It is also my first time booking the trip on my own.

You can book now, and then cancel later if they don't offer any deals. You only have to pay a $200 deposit which is fully refundable if you cancel at least 2 weeks in advance I think (I could be wrong on the 2 wks though). You will definitely know about any deals before that time period approaches.

So without reading through all 80 pages of this thread, what is everyone's general consensus? Since we haven't heard anything about FD already, and assuming it IS going to be offered, when do you think we will hear about it? After 4/24?

im on vacation = nothing more than making coffe;) yet if i 'had to cook' in order to visit, i'd be happy to eat peanut butter, hot dogs & lunchmeat for a week.

im DVC, tend to run out of points now & again so i do keep my eye on resort deals:). Wound up giving a week's stay to DS, renting another one out & banking the rest of my points to stay onsite @ PORFQ:thumbsup2 for a week to finally get to enjoy FDP.

we also liked a promo TS stay @ the sheraton vistana property. Newly redone room in Cascades section was nice & the drive seemed closer than the AS properties in relationship to many of the parks:confused3

So without reading through all 80 pages of this thread, what is everyone's general consensus? Since we haven't heard anything about FD already, and assuming it IS going to be offered, when do you think we will hear about it? After 4/24?

Sorry, no cheating. You'll have to begin at the beginning. :rotfl2:

I booked bounceback while at Disney last year. We are booked from Sept 17 to October 3 at POR>
I tried to change our dates but the CM said most of the resorts are booked up in September.
Since so many of the dates are already booked up with bounceback offers and others hoping for free dining Disney may not feel the need to offer FD this year.
JMHO

I was able to change my dates from bounceback, last week. They may have to transfer you to a higher level cm but it should be able to be done. Call back

We are booked from 8/31 to 9/8 at SS Treehouse villas with the 40% PIN. I wonder if the free dining would be a better discount than 40% off at this resort? There are 3 adults, 3 teens (13 and 14 and 14) and a 4 year old?

We were thinking if FD is offered we would drop the 40% PIN and upgrade to Deluxe dining.
Any words of wisdom from someone who knows the numbers?
:teacher:

I booked bounceback while at Disney last year. We are booked from Sept 17 to October 3 at POR>
I tried to change our dates but the CM said most of the resorts are booked up in September.
Since so many of the dates are already booked up with bounceback offers and others hoping for free dining Disney may not feel the need to offer FD this year.
JMHO

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I was under the impression that only a limited number of rooms are available for any given promotion? If this is the case, it's very possible that the rooms allocated for the bounceback promo are all booked, but that doesn't necessarily mean that the resort itself is sold out. If FD is offered again (and I'm another DIS'er who is fervently hoping it will be) then there would be another block of rooms allocated to that promotion. Just a thought ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter