*** 2010-2011 *** Cheer Parent Thread

Teams were announced last night. D's Level 4 team is now a Senior Level 4/Senior Level 5 Open team. Don't know what that means but maybe they can do fulls?

Definitely fulls in Senior Open 5. from usasf.net:

The following skill restrictions apply for Senior Open Level 5:
In tumbling, only single twisting skills are allowed. During a full-twisting tumbling skill, no trick other than the twist is allowed (i.e. including but not limited to: split fulls, hitch kick fulls, X-Fulls, Full-Xouts, etc) and both feet must land
and finish on the performing surface. (i.e. no full twisting tumbling to seat, prone body landings or similar).

our gym actually takes a break for June and July so we just had our last practice today. My daughter made Senior 4 and they have asked if she will cross over to the 4.2 team and the Junior 2. She would fly for the 4 and 4.2, but base the newer girls on Junior 2. She is tall for her age (only 12), and is a great base in addition to flyer. I haven't decided yet about the crossovers. She is a gym rat and loves to cross. She was on Senior 3, Junior 2 and Senior 1 this past year and it wasn't too bad.

she will continue to tumble until practice resumes in August

Wow, 3 teams, that is a lot of work. Good for her. That is tough work to keep 3 routines straight. She must be very dedicated :cheer2:

Our gym only shuts down for 3 weeks; last week in June and first two in July. Then back to work starting July 12.

Just found out one of my daughters teams came in 3rd in the country for the US Finals. They came in 2nd at VA Beach by .02 and had one stunt bobble and got marked off for not pointing toes in the jumps. The team that came in first was the one who beat them in VA. So close, but Yeah!!! for our tiny gym.

Congrats! :dance3:

Just to brag about my niece--her Junior 2 team won the virtual Grand Championship in the IALC (International all-level championships) for the 2nd year in a row!! They went up against all the other J2 teams that competed in Atlanta, Atlantic City, Texas, Ohio, and Long Beach in a virtual championship.

And congrats to your niece's team. :banana:

Does she cheer for Cali?

I forgot to update after tryouts.

DD15 made JV Capt and DD16 made Varsity for the second year. So it looks like another year of two football games a week and 12 basketball games a week. Hannah would have made Varsity if she tried out for it (the coach told me that her score was high enough), but she specifically tried out for JV because she really wanted Captain. I wish they were on the same squad, but that would be too easy on us, LOL. So all the JV and Varsity football and basketball games and different cheer practice times. :eek:
But I am thankful they both got what they wanted. So I'm not going to complain anymore. :cheer2::cheer2:

And congrats to both your daughters. :cheer2:

Hope everyone had a happy and peaceful Memorial Day! :goodvibes We went to the beach and celebrated DD 3rd Bday! Now back to daily routine...work, practice, flight class, more practice. :lmao: DD14 won't start her school team practices until July but our gym is in full swing. Ohhhh...our Youth L2 team came in 2nd in the country! They came in 2nd at worlds in VA Beach too so that's pretty cool.

kidzmom3- congrats to your DD too! It really is cool to see the kids accomplish such high standards after working so hard all year!

eduk8r26- congrats to your niece!

CaliforniaDreamin- congrats to both your DD's! Sorry for you and all the games...hope you at least like to watch bball or football. :goodvibes

My dd is starting All Star cheer this year. We were going to start last year but the girls on the mini team were much older than her, she was only 3.5 last summer. Now, she's 4.5 and this year's mini team will all be close in age, with a few older one. She cheers for Palm Beach Lightning All Stars. Can't wait! She is doing great!

She has a private once a week, we started that in January, right after she turned 4, since I knew we were going to do it this year. So far she has a good cartwheel most of the time, can do a backbend without a spot for her coach but won't do it at home :rolleyes1, is working on the 3 step cartwheel and now beginning to learn a roundoff. They also are working with her to practice flying moves because they think one day she may be a flyer - she is built like one. She can do a really good heel stretch and bow & arrow but her balance isn't so great yet. She LOVES it though! :cheer2:

Another new Cheer Mom here!

My daughter, 12, had been taking gymnastics for years, but could never quite get to the competitive level. She actually worked on her BHS for TWO YEARS without hitting it...in one week of cheer, she hit her Round-off BHS! (still unsure of the standing BHS)

Anyhoo...she is on a Sr team that will start off as a Level 1, but should be at Level 2 by Christmas. We are already looking for ways to pay for the March Disney trip...that is our only flying competition.

I have a feeling that going to Disney with a Cheer team will be VERY different from my past trips :-)

Hi Everyone!
It's been a busy month. Tryouts are finally behind us!
Our daughter is going into high school this year and made the JV cheer squad.
This will be her first time cheering for school. She was placed on her All star
gym's level 3 team for the coming season. It's going to be a busy cheer year!

Tink561 and lilfroggie, Welcome to All star cheer parent life. It's a busy one for sure, but well worth it.

I'm glad to see this thread active again.:thumbsup2

I'm not sure I updated my daughter's status or not. Our old gym closed and we followed a favorite coach to a new gym, with a much more serious head coach than we were used to. My daughter was on a Level 3 SR team at her old gym but was placed on a JR Level 2 at the new one. This new coach expects a lot more than the old gym did, which is why her teams win. However, it was a huge disappointment to my daughter. But she made me proud and refused to quit. She showed up everyday, worked her tail off, and set out to prove to her new coach she belonged on the sr team. Eventually the coach noticed. She was recently asked to be a crossover to the SR team! :banana: For those not familiar with All Star cheer that means she's on both teams now, the jr level 2 and sr team (they are a level 3 now, maybe will be 4 by competition time). It's a lot of work but she thrives on hard work and is handling it very well so far. I'm so proud of my girl :lovestruc

They have skills camp this week and, of course, she is loving it. I'm getting excited for competition season to start!

Is anyone else's cheerleader a crossover for their gym? Is this your first year being on more than one team? I was just wondering how they handle the extra work and stress, plus school, ect. This is all so new to us.

I'm not sure I updated my daughter's status or not. Our old gym closed and we followed a favorite coach to a new gym, with a much more serious head coach than we were used to. My daughter was on a Level 3 SR team at her old gym but was placed on a JR Level 2 at the new one. This new coach expects a lot more than the old gym did, which is why her teams win. However, it was a huge disappointment to my daughter. But she made me proud and refused to quit. She showed up everyday, worked her tail off, and set out to prove to her new coach she belonged on the sr team. Eventually the coach noticed. She was recently asked to be a crossover to the SR team! :banana: For those not familiar with All Star cheer that means she's on both teams now, the jr level 2 and sr team (they are a level 3 now, maybe will be 4 by competition time). It's a lot of work but she thrives on hard work and is handling it very well so far. I'm so proud of my girl :lovestruc

They have skills camp this week and, of course, she is loving it. I'm getting excited for competition season to start!

Is anyone else's cheerleader a crossover for their gym? Is this your first year being on more than one team? I was just wondering how they handle the extra work and stress, plus school, ect. This is all so new to us.
Tell your DD congrats! Hard work pays off! My DD11 was a crossover last year. She was on youth 3 but mid year had to cross down to youth 2 since they had some injuries. She did great. The first couple of practices were tough since they practiced back to back. She was exhausted but adjusted quickly to the longer practice time. Good luck!

both of my daughters cross over. One is Senior 2 and crosses to our Senior 1. The other is Senior 3 and crosses to Junior 2 and Senior 4.2. Its a ton of work, but they are gym rats and love it. It does mean later bed times than I would wish.

Yes, both my girls have crossed to one or more teams for our gym...happens a lot in our world...lol! And congrats to your daughter for sticking with it. :goodvibes

Another new Cheer Mom here!

My daughter, 12, had been taking gymnastics for years, but could never quite get to the competitive level. She actually worked on her BHS for TWO YEARS without hitting it...in one week of cheer, she hit her Round-off BHS! (still unsure of the standing BHS)

Anyhoo...she is on a Sr team that will start off as a Level 1, but should be at Level 2 by Christmas. We are already looking for ways to pay for the March Disney trip...that is our only flying competition.

I have a feeling that going to Disney with a Cheer team will be VERY different from my past trips :-)

Welcome to crazy cheer world! :goodvibes Congrats to your DD. I have one that it took 3 yrs just to get a Roff BHS and 2 years later that's still all she does. :goodvibes

My dd is starting All Star cheer this year. We were going to start last year but the girls on the mini team were much older than her, she was only 3.5 last summer. Now, she's 4.5 and this year's mini team will all be close in age, with a few older one. She cheers for Palm Beach Lightning All Stars. Can't wait! She is doing great!

She has a private once a week, we started that in January, right after she turned 4, since I knew we were going to do it this year. So far she has a good cartwheel most of the time, can do a backbend without a spot for her coach but won't do it at home :rolleyes1, is working on the 3 step cartwheel and now beginning to learn a roundoff. They also are working with her to practice flying moves because they think one day she may be a flyer - she is built like one. She can do a really good heel stretch and bow & arrow but her balance isn't so great yet. She LOVES it though! :cheer2:

Welcome to the thread! I love to watch the little ones. My youngest started at 4 and now at 9 she is finally on youth!

Hope everyone is having a relaxing summer. We are headed to the beach next week and can't wait. Both older girls are ready too.

One who's the sweetest person in the world was accused of being a bully today in her science and math camp yet when I asked what she did they just said it's been going on the past two weeks and although they haven't witnessed her do anything two girls and their parents have complained. Of course I couldn't get the names of the girls either. Then the same two girls posted on FB (which my DD doesn't have an acct.) Yay...got some girls in trouble today. What is that? Being the bigger person I told DD just to ignore it and cont. to enjoy the camp.

DD9 has done two weeks of tumble camp and 2 days of flight camp and she's exhausted. Today I had to tell her that her coach is adding an extra practice Fri. morning from 9-11am. She was NOT happy. Neither was I for that matter considering I have to pay an extra $15 for it on top of just having paid $80 for choreography camp where they will spend 2 full days perfecting the routine. And that isn't until the end of July. Coach claims they need to learn to dance and then learn the dance for the routine. How rude is that?!?! She's taking it in stride though. Said well I guess I can do Fri. since I'll miss both practices the following week. :goodvibes

When we get back it's back to school for DD9 and school cheerleading for DD14. Summer will officially be over for me. :goodvibes

DD9 has done two weeks of tumble camp and 2 days of flight camp and she's exhausted. Today I had to tell her that her coach is adding an extra practice Fri. morning from 9-11am. She was NOT happy. Neither was I for that matter considering I have to pay an extra $15 for it on top of just having paid $80 for choreography camp where they will spend 2 full days perfecting the routine. And that isn't until the end of July. Coach claims they need to learn to dance and then learn the dance for the routine. How rude is that?!?! She's taking it in stride though. Said well I guess I can do Fri. since I'll miss both practices the following week. :goodvibes

When we get back it's back to school for DD9 and school cheerleading for DD14. Summer will officially be over for me. :goodvibes

I wish our choreography camp was only $80! We have to pay $275! Multipy that by three kids! Thank goodness it is due at a time when we are refinancing our house and don't have to make a house payment for two months!We don't do choreography until early September. Our coach wants the kids to spend the summer learning new stunts before the choreographer gets here. DD10 is close to her tuck. She has been doing semi-privates with DD7, who is working on her bridge kickover. She finally can reach back and do her bridge but still needs a spot for the kickover part. DD10 has to have her tuck by the end of the summer to stay on Junior Level 3. She (DD) thinks she will have it in one or two more weeks. She crosses over from Youth Level 2.

Have fun at the beach!

I wish our choreography camp was only $80! We have to pay $275! Multipy that by three kids! Thank goodness it is due at a time when we are refinancing our house and don't have to make a house payment for two months!We don't do choreography until early September. Our coach wants the kids to spend the summer learning new stunts before the choreographer gets here. DD10 is close to her tuck. She has been doing semi-privates with DD7, who is working on her bridge kickover. She finally can reach back and do her bridge but still needs a spot for the kickover part. DD10 has to have her tuck by the end of the summer to stay on Junior Level 3. She (DD) thinks she will have it in one or two more weeks. She crosses over from Youth Level 2.

Have fun at the beach!

WOW! $275!!! OUCH! Guess I shouldn't be complaining then...:rotfl: Is it because they have someone else do the choreography? Our parents would DIE if they ever had to pay that much. :rotfl:

Good luck to your daughters especially the 10 yr old. J has been working on her tuck for about 6 months now. She wants to have it by the end of the summer but she's only doing youth lv 2 so no need. She'll definitely have it by next year for Jr. lv 3 if they need her. :goodvibes

Our gym's tryouts are this weekend. I know my dd7 will most likely end up on the junior L2 team because I won't let her be on the Jr3 team as most of the girls are 11&12 and the coach is a bit (lots of sarcasm) of a yeller :scared1: They really want her on the L3 team but I just don't think it is a good fit for her at this age. She has her standing back tuck and is working on layouts, but I would rather have her compete at L2 & then work on her tumbling etc in separate tumble classes and privates. I don't want a year of screaming coaching and being with girls waaay older than her to turn her off.

We do have someone come and do our choreography. And that price also includes their music as well. But I guess with as much as I spend on cheerleading, I'd rather pay a little more and have someone give them outstanding choreography that gives them a better chance to win. With our gym being faily new, our coach doesn't do the choreography.

Have fun at the beach!
Thank goodness we pay monthly and choreography and competitions (excluding travel) are built into the monthly fee.

I would have heart palpitations if I saw it broken out.

The $299 per month is bad enough, on top of another $395 for the uniform and $355 for the practice stuff (x 2 kids).

But it is so worth it. My niece has some ED issues due to being a suspected crack baby (mom has no custody rights) and the discipline and hard work of the gym has paid off in so many areas of her life. The school has called and remarked what a turn around she has made and we all attribute it to the very strict rules, the hard work, and the results she is seeing at cheer.

It is not just a kid's sport (yes, a sport :lmao) for her, it is better than any therapist and still cheaper :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter