*** 2010-2011 *** Cheer Parent Thread

goofy!

<font color=green>You have to ride a roller coaste
:cheer2:This is the beginning of a new season for all our cheer princesses and princes!!! This will also be the fourth season for this thread ...........there are many of us from school cheer, rec cheer, allstar cheer and some college cheer that support one another.

Come one, come all.....join in on the fun........share your cheer parent stories and your children's successes.

May each and every one of you have a happy, healthy and successful 2010-2011 Cheer Season..........:cheer2:

Good Luck to all trying out in the near future. And congrats to all that have already tried out.

Our tryouts were yesterday and today. The kids will practice with their practice groups all summer while continuing to be evaluated. There is always movement as the gym tries to get the best fit for each team.

Then, at the end of the summer, the teams and levels will be announced.

My niece (just about my other daughter) decided to just do a year of rec this year. She will be bored with only the back kick overs. But her best friend wants to try cheer this year, her mom insists that she do a year of rec cheer first, and DN wants to be on the same team. So, no tryouts in this household as DD is on the special needs team.

I'm a new one here. I stumbled on being a cheer mom by accident, but since DD loves it, she's going for it.

My DD 7 (almost 8)wanted to do something between gymnastics (we ended two weeks ago) and golf (which she starts in June), so she thought a cheer clinic for 4 weeks would be great. I signed her up and last week was her 1st class. She was showing me all the things they did and they asked them what they could do. My daughter can do a lot since she's in gymnastics, so no big deal. Well, at the end of the class the coach said that there's 20 in this clinic and 25 openings in the fall, so that's perfect. I'm standing there going, "what"? :confused3

What I found out is that this is a cheer clinic for elementary cheerleading and not something just for recreation. I explained this to DD and she didn't care. She loves it and wants to try it in the fall. okay...

So that's my story. First year elementary cheerleading. I'm surprised that there's no tryouts even at this level.?

Hey! Glad to see next season's board has been started. Thanks goofy!

We will find out the new team placements on Sun/Mon with new practices beginning Mon night. :goodvibes

OK....for the new post here's our 2010-2011 schedule:

Oct. Charlotte, NC
Nov. Richmond, VA and Raleigh, NC
Dec. Greensboro, NC
Jan. Charlotte, NC
Mar. Charlotte, NC
April Hershey, PA

We just finished an evaluation clinic and tryouts are tomorrow. Teams will be posted on Sunday. This is our 5th year doing all-stars. Two of my three DD's are trying out. :cheer2:

Hi, everyone!

My two DDs just finished their first season of Allstar cheer (L2 juniors). They will try out this next week for next year's team. Their gym is pretty new (2nd b-day coming up in June I think) so they will group the girls after try-outs and they'll practice for May and June and then the teams will be finalized around the 4th of July. This way is different than how it was done last year, so I'm not sure if they'll be grouped by ability level, age, or by function on the team (ie: bases, flyers, etc.) or in some other way. It will be interesting!

They are SOOO excited, though. Both girls LOVED this year and have been taking some extra classes, attending open gyms, etc. so they have caught the bug!

Thanks for starting the thread!

Our old gym just announced they are closing (drama, long story) and we all followed our favorite coach to a new gym. It's a brand new gym, this is it's first season but the coaches are amazing and things look very bright for the future. This week they held two pre try out clinics and this evening was the actual try outs.

Now the waiting game.... we should be getting emails this weekend with team assignments. My daughter is a ball of nerves, but excited. It's going to be a great year!

I'm a new one here. I stumbled on being a cheer mom by accident, but since DD loves it, she's going for it.

My DD 7 (almost 8)wanted to do something between gymnastics (we ended two weeks ago) and golf (which she starts in June), so she thought a cheer clinic for 4 weeks would be great. I signed her up and last week was her 1st class. She was showing me all the things they did and they asked them what they could do. My daughter can do a lot since she's in gymnastics, so no big deal. Well, at the end of the class the coach said that there's 20 in this clinic and 25 openings in the fall, so that's perfect. I'm standing there going, "what"? :confused3

What I found out is that this is a cheer clinic for elementary cheerleading and not something just for recreation. I explained this to DD and she didn't care. She loves it and wants to try it in the fall. okay...

So that's my story. First year elementary cheerleading. I'm surprised that there's no tryouts even at this level.?

:welcome:

Welcome to the cheer parent club. Is this her elementary school?

Our old gym just announced they are closing (drama, long story) and we all followed our favorite coach to a new gym. It's a brand new gym, this is it's first season but the coaches are amazing and things look very bright for the future. This week they held two pre try out clinics and this evening was the actual try outs.

Now the waiting game.... we should be getting emails this weekend with team assignments. My daughter is a ball of nerves, but excited. It's going to be a great year!
Congrats to your daughter.

I remember you posting a bit about the drama. It sounds like your daughter has landed in a wonderful spot. Don't you just love it when everything comes together well? Much luck in the upcoming season!

My daughter just started her first year of All Star cheerleading!

I remember our first year, was that really 6 years ago? It was so overwhelming, but such great fun. Feel free to ask questions. There are some wonderful, experienced parents on this thread.

What gym does your CP cheer for?

Hi, everyone!

My two DDs just finished their first season of Allstar cheer (L2 juniors). They will try out this next week for next year's team. Their gym is pretty new (2nd b-day coming up in June I think) so they will group the girls after try-outs and they'll practice for May and June and then the teams will be finalized around the 4th of July. This way is different than how it was done last year, so I'm not sure if they'll be grouped by ability level, age, or by function on the team (ie: bases, flyers, etc.) or in some other way. It will be interesting!

They are SOOO excited, though. Both girls LOVED this year and have been taking some extra classes, attending open gyms, etc. so they have caught the bug!

Thanks for starting the thread!

This is the way our gym does tryouts too, except we won't learn teams until August.

From what I have been told, our teams are put together using all the criteria, ability level, age, and function, e; having proportionate amounts of bases and flyers.

Our kids are in practice groups ranging from 2 kids up to almost a full squad. The coaches will move kids around if needed to find the best combination of kids. Then in August, teams and levels are announced.

Congrats to your daughter.

I remember you posting a bit about the drama. It sounds like your daughter has landed in a wonderful spot. Don't you just love it when everything comes together well? Much luck in the upcoming season!

Thanks! Yes, I am very pleased with how things have worked out. 11 out of 17 girls from her previous team have decided to join this new gym so all of her friends will be there (my friends, too, their moms). We are all already very comfortable there and making new friends with the other new families. I'm very hopeful for a very good season.

Good luck to all of you!

This is the way our gym does tryouts too, except we won't learn teams until August.

From what I have been told, our teams are put together using all the criteria, ability level, age, and function, e; having proportionate amounts of bases and flyers.

Our kids are in practice groups ranging from 2 kids up to almost a full squad. The coaches will move kids around if needed to find the best combination of kids. Then in August, teams and levels are announced.

That sounds like a great way to do it.

Our new gym isn't supposed to assign levels yet, either. They will just decide teams based on age and ability. Then levels will be assigned based on how each group does. This is so new to us. Our old gym just had two teams and basically if you were under 18 you were on the L3 team, 16 and older you were on the L5 co-ed with many 16 and 17 year olds on both teams. This new gym is much bigger so we don't know where we will end up. It's exciting and scary all at once.

Thanks for the welcome! I've heard it will be similar to what you've described. Some of the girls from my DDs team have "aged out" of junior level and some aren't returning, also I think they will be adding a L5 senior team so I think they just want to make some of the kids "earn" thier spots. I think they've had some problems with the older (HS) aged girls. I noticed that they will charge $50 for an unexcused absence this next year. They are just going to bill the account. It will be interesting to see if they actually do this or if they threatening so that only comitted people try out.

Welcome to the cheer parent club. Is this her elementary school?

Thank you! Can't wait to get to know some of the other mom's here and learn some things.

Yes, this is for her elementary school.

Well, we haven't started our year yet, but I thought I'd jump on board. My daughter (9) is on an all star team, this will be her second year. She loves it and we really enjoy watching her. We have some great families on the team and it has been nice getting to know them. We live in a small town, and don't have the most elaborate place to practice, but the coaches do an amazing job.
DD's practices don't start until August. They also have a parade group for the summer, but she didn't want to do that.

Happy Monday All! Hope everyone had a great weekend.

As for Worlds, we didn't do so hot as far as Jrs and Srs went this weekend. I do think they both deserved 2nd but some kind of way they each got 3rd. I mean one of the other teams never connected their pyramid because a stunt group fell. True we had a fall after a tumble pass but still the pyramid not connecting should have at least gotten us to 2nd. Ahhhh well...we live, learn and move on. :rotfl:

Our Youth team did AWESOME though..2nd out of 22 teams!!!:woohoo:

Now to move on to next season. Teams were posted this morning and DD9 is moving up to youth. She's soooo excited. DD13 has decided to take a break :confused3 so no all star cheering for her. She is going to try out for school cheer on the 17th-19th...:scared: Pray for me.

Well..gotta get some work done....bye for now.

We just had our last competition of the season.. The teams all did great!
Our Youth level 1 placed 2nd out of 23 teams, our Junior 3 placed 1st and our Senior Coed 3 placed 4th out 17. We are definitely sad to have the competition season over. Tryouts for next year are at the end of the month. We are already looking forward to 2011.

It's hard to believe it's that time again! Tryouts are next Wednesday. We have a new JV and Varsity coach and I have high hopes for them.
This year is different in that each girl has to make their own spirit shirts for tryouts. Our school colors are black and red. I went to the sewing store to look for zebra print ribbon to make their hair ribbons. Of course, they didn't have what I wanted. But the woman pointed out that they just got in zebra print in red and black! I was so excited...everyone has always used the black and white. So the shirts are almost done. They are black and they have decorated them and are wearing red Soffes. So the other day I was online and thought, Hmmmm, tube socks would be different. Something that no one else will think of (during the season, they wear no show socks. So I found some amazing tube socks for tryouts. http://www.cheerleadingonline.com/I...381/cid=114/page_no=1/shop.axd/ProductDetails

I LOVE these socks. I hope the website link shows the red ones..those are the ones they ordered.
So anyway, DD 15 decided she really wanted to stay on JV and DD16 will be trying out for Varsity again. Wish us luck!!:cheer2::cheer2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter