• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

***2009*** Epcot Food & Wine Festival ENDED NOV. 8

I was about 15 minutes late to the Caymus seminar so I'm sort of glad they didn't give my spot away, but what is this about them letting people in who didn't pay? A couple came in and sat in the back with me while the CMs weren't watching and they came in and asked them for tickets - when they didn't have any tickets they made them leave.

I am happy that you saw CM's being diligent about checking for tickets. The way it was set up I was worried people would try and sneak in.

Does anyone think that the reason that the Tuna Sensation is expensive for the amount of tuna served, and also not available by snack credit, is due to the fact that sushi-grade tuna is very pricey? I'm thinking that may be the issue. Disney may feel that if they allow it to be purchased with snack credits, there will be a run on an item that Disney is not expecting too many people to actually purchase. Some people might even spend 4 snack credits and say -- give me quaduple the usual serving (all at Disney's expense on free dining).

Also, although Disney is charging a hefty price for the lobster roll, lobsters are plentiful these days and pretty cheap (especially in comparison to sushi-grade tuna). And, the bulk of the lobster roll is really the inexpensive roll that the mayo-filled lobster salad sits on.

Just curious.

Assuming Disney is serving sushi-grade tuna, I'm thinking I may have to spring for the Tuna Sensation (even if the portion is tiny for the price) because I love tuna sashimi!

Thanks, and I saw somewhere that somone said you could use snack credits on some things? Is that true? Just trying to get things in order before we go. 11 DAYS..YEA...pixiedust:
Sorry, can't help myself...lol

O.K., I see now it is a dumb question, I had not had a chance to read through the board. I am pretty new to this and just saw the answer to my question and then asked this immediately. Just started reading through and now feel extreamly dumb over this question. Sorry

Hi! I've been reading this forum since last year as last year was the first year we attended the Party for the Senses and I was looking for information about it. What a great and helpful forum!! I finally decided to join because I received a phone call from a CM from Epcot today to explain the procedure for those who purchased Wine View Room tickets for this year's PFTS. She explained that there was some confusion at the first PFTS this year, so they were calling to let everyone know that if you purchased Wine View this year there was a special check in area where you received your wrist bands and didn't have to wait with the masses for the gates to open. I thought that was really amazing that they would call all of the people just to let them know about that. :love:

Does anyone think that the reason that the Tuna Sensation is expensive for the amount of tuna served, and also not available by snack credit, is due to the fact that sushi-grade tuna is very pricey?

Assuming Disney is serving sushi-grade tuna, I'm thinking I may have to spring for the Tuna Sensation (even if the portion is tiny for the price) because I love tuna sashimi!

Totally agree with you ElizabethB. It's on my list of my new things to try.

Hi! I've been reading this forum since last year as last year was the first year we attended the Party for the Senses and I was looking for information about it. What a great and helpful forum!! I finally decided to join because I received a phone call from a CM from Epcot today to explain the procedure for those who purchased Wine View Room tickets for this year's PFTS. She explained that there was some confusion at the first PFTS this year, so they were calling to let everyone know that if you purchased Wine View this year there was a special check in area where you received your wrist bands and didn't have to wait with the masses for the gates to open. I thought that was really amazing that they would call all of the people just to let them know about that. :love:
Thank you for posting. I am very bad about checking my VM unless I'm expecting a call, but of course I had to run and check as soon as I read your post.

Apparently we are supposed to arrive at 5:45, and we'll be seated a little early, as well as a drink at the start, (which I think is the flower drink I've read about.) She also wanted to make sure that I'll be dining solo, and that I don't need my reservation linked to another party so we could be seated table. So apparently not only am I guaranteed a seat, which was my biggest reason for booking WVL, I will have my own table. Which is unnecessary, but gives me plenty of space.

Thank you for posting. I am very bad about checking my VM unless I'm expecting a call, but of course I had to run and check as soon as I read your post.

Apparently we are supposed to arrive at 5:45, and we'll be seated a little early, as well as a drink at the start, (which I think is the flower drink I've read about.) She also wanted to make sure that I'll be dining solo, and that I don't need my reservation linked to another party so we could be seated table. So apparently not only am I guaranteed a seat, which was my biggest reason for booking WVL, I will have my own table. Which is unnecessary, but gives me plenty of space.

My PFTS isn't until October 24 but I'm curious where this special check in location is?

I'm curious as well about the PFTS info. We have the Wine View booked, but haven't received a phone call regarding check-in procedures. We'll be at the PFTS on 10/10. Anyone receive any other info on this:confused3

Wow! Thanks for posting this. We haven't gotten a call yet but we have PFTS 17th and the 24th so I am sure they call a week or two out. Nice not to have to wait with the masses! Please come back and tell us how your PFTS was!

I'm curious as well about the PFTS info. We have the Wine View booked, but haven't received a phone call regarding check-in procedures. We'll be at the PFTS on 10/10. Anyone receive any other info on this:confused3

We are also there on the 10th and haven't received a call yet, even if they don't call I bet we'll find it now that we know to ask, Thanks DIS!

See you there Kteacher!

Does anyone think that the reason that the Tuna Sensation is expensive for the amount of tuna served, and also not available by snack credit, is due to the fact that sushi-grade tuna is very pricey? I'm thinking that may be the issue. Disney may feel that if they allow it to be purchased with snack credits, there will be a run on an item that Disney is not expecting too many people to actually purchase. Some people might even spend 4 snack credits and say -- give me quaduple the usual serving (all at Disney's expense on free dining).

Also, although Disney is charging a hefty price for the lobster roll, lobsters are plentiful these days and pretty cheap (especially in comparison to sushi-grade tuna). And, the bulk of the lobster roll is really the inexpensive roll that the mayo-filled lobster salad sits on.

Just curious.

It's funny you mention the lobster rolls because I was trying to explain to somebody how cheap lobster is pricing these days and how little those lobster rolls must cost to make. I'd accept your sushi-grade tuna theory, however then I must ask what are they putting in the spicy tuna rolls if not sushi grade tuna since they can price them at nearly half the price (and really, there was maybe 1cc difference in the amount of tuna in the two items).

My PFTS isn't until October 24 but I'm curious where this special check in location is?

I saw separate podiums labeled "Wine View Lounge" next to the regular PFTS podiums at both the America Gardens Theatre location and at the PFTS location itself. They're not hidden in an undisclosed location. :)

She said that it was to the right of the big gate. I got the impression that after you checked in, you could go ahead to the Eat to the Beat concert or do whatever you wanted until 6:30, but I will ask (we're going this Saturday). They probably are only calling a week out.

Hi,

If anyone here has had any luck eating gluten-free at the Food and Wine Festival, I'd love to hear about it.

PS: Because this thread is sooooo long, would you please PM me as well as post?

Thank you so much!

ImprovGal,

Good point about the spicy tuna rolls! Perhaps they are putting a lesser grade of tune in the rolls?

In any event, lots of the kiosk foods look quite tasty this year, and I'm just going to have to try the Tuna Sensation, even if it's only one bite for over $5 bucks!

Just got home from WDW and the F&WF (my first visit to the latter). It was fantastic! Very crowded though. Lamb sliders were def my favorite.

She said that it was to the right of the big gate. I got the impression that after you checked in, you could go ahead to the Eat to the Beat concert or do whatever you wanted until 6:30, but I will ask (we're going this Saturday). They probably are only calling a week out.

Thanks! If there's early entry, I don't want to miss it. I"m not sure that's the case though. Maybe I didn't understand.

Hi everyone,
My husband and I went to the Festival on Saturday and we expected it to be more crowded than it was, especially in the evening. I went back tonight to see Richard Marx and it was WAY more crowded than it was Saturday (it's an EMH night though). Anyway, we're still reeling from the lack of wine seminars compared to years past and the fact that they're $5/person. We walked by the Caymus tasting Saturday when it was just starting and there were nearly two full empty rows at the back, but it was sold out. I wanted to stay and see how they handled it but my husband was too mad! As always, it was nice to see Bud. I'll miss him this year since we aren't coughing up $10 to do wine tastings.
The Festival itself was good. I actually thought that the portion sizes were bigger! Man, that lobster-scallop pie in Ireland filled me right up and I think was under or around $5, which was totally reasonable to me. I loved everything in Barcelona, Melbourne and Ireland. The biggest disappointments were the quesadilla in Mexico (if there was sausage in that thing, I couldn't find it) the beef in S. Africa (tough and overcooked) and the biggest rip off ever has to be the $8 frozen (watered down) cocktails that come in literally a dixie cup. Ugh...
I miss the wine walk-about and the New Orleans city scene from last year. The kiosks have way too many soup offerings when it's still 90+ degrees outside. So far, the Eat to the Beat shows have been awesome and absolutely the highlight.
All in all, it's just an eh year for me. Without the wine seminars, we won't go back nearly as much as we did in the past. Maybe in a few weeks when it (hopefully) gets cooler.
I look forward to reading other people's thoughts as they visit the Festival as well!

K

Information on the PFTS Check-in - The checkin entrances may change from week to week, but last week, there were two tables to the left side of the American Gardens Theatre - looking toward the lake. If you arrived in time for the first show, you go to this entrance - check-in and take your seat.

If you do not go to the show, you can go to the lake side of where the Millium Village is (where the PFTS event is) between Cananda and UK. They will provide you with the arm bands there.

If you miss this, you check in, inside the gates.

But even if you have early check-in - you do not get into the PFTS early.
It is a mad rush with 5000 of your closest friends, until the curtains open. Then all sorts out.

We did not attend PFTS this weekend. We did walk around - Way too HOT to enjoy the tasty temptations to full indulgence, but this was an add-on to an Orlando visit for business. We will be back.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter