2009 DVC Annual Meeting Report

Wyndham broadcasts its annual owners' meeting, but just the audio and the powerpoint slides. That's almost as useful as the full video, and a lot less expensive to produce/distribute in terms of bandwidth.

This is a very interesting thread and I was even there live and enjoyed reading through all of your comments. A big thank you goes out to both Doc and DVC Mike for your overview of the meeting.

I do have one question for anyone who can answer....did anyone have a moment where they asked when next year's annual meeting will be scheduled? I was going to get up and ask that particular question but the line was already too long to get addressed.

TIA for any replies!!

The Annual Meeting has always been in the first two weeks of December although the exact date has not usually been announced until a few weeks prior - like this year. I doubt they have finalized the date for 2010 yet. The location won't likely be known until they see how many registrations are made so they have a sense of the space needed. This year's crowd would not likely have fit in the rooms previously used.

The Annual Meeting has always been in the first two weeks of December although the exact date has not usually been announced until a few weeks prior - like this year. I doubt they have finalized the date for 2010 yet. The location won't likely be known until they see how many registrations are made so they have a sense of the space needed. This year's crowd would not likely have fit in the rooms previously used.

I also wonder if, with the addition of CA and HI resorts, if the meeting may be held in other locations from year to year, or if they have to be held in FL.

The meeting date was a topic of discussion at last year's meeting since members wanted to be able to book reservations around the meeting so they could attend. As I recall, Jim Lewis actually chose the date (Dec 9) during the meeting. I may be wrong, but that's my recollection.

The meeting date was a topic of discussion at last year's meeting since members wanted to be able to book reservations around the meeting so they could attend. As I recall, Jim Lewis actually chose the date (Dec 9) during the meeting. I may be wrong, but that's my recollection.
Jim Lewis made a rare promise at the 2008 meeting and said he would select the date very soon for the 2009 meeting so members could plan their trips accordingly. Two weeks after the 2008 meeting the 2009 meeting date was posted. I would expect the same this year.

I think DVC should post minutes from the meetings on the member web site. Complete with pictures and any hand outs.

I sent an email to DVC Member Services regarding minutes and here is the reply:

I have submitted your request for a copy of the minutes from the 2009
Condominium Association Annual Meeting. They will be sent out to you in
late January 2010.

Thanks for jogging my feeble old memory! I knew something regarding meeting date had happened at the 2008 meeting, but couldn't remember exactly what!

I sent an email to DVC Member Services regarding minutes and here is the reply:

I have submitted your request for a copy of the minutes from the 2009
Condominium Association Annual Meeting. They will be sent out to you in
late January 2010.

It will be interesting to see what you get. I bet it will only be for the business meeting.

They didn't post the dates on the website until a few weeks before the actual dates and even then, they posted incorrect days of the week. I contacted Member Satisfaction a a couple of months ago and I was told that they didn't have any information on this years dates yet. :sad2:

:) Bill

They didn't post the dates on the website until a few weeks before the actual dates and even then, they posted incorrect days of the week. I contacted Member Satisfaction a a couple of months ago and I was told that they didn't have any information on this years dates yet. :sad2:

:) Bill

That is not correct. The 2009 annual meeting date was announced before 12/31/08 which was sufficient time to make 11-month reservations.

http://dvcnews.com/index.php/news-program-information-163/749-2009-condo-meeting-dated

I was one of the last to ask a question. I commented that the notification of last year's point re-allocation was very late, only a few days before the opening of the 11 month window. And when would the 2011 point charts come out, and if there would be another re-allocation.

The non-answer I got was mostly why they re-allocated last year. She finally mentioned that they are currently 'evaluating' the 2011 point charts, and to keep checking the member website for them to be posted.

With that answer, I think another re-allocation is not at all unlikely.

I am new to the boards and I would imagine there was alot of discussion here about last year's disappointing re-allocation. But since I miised any discussions that might have happened here, what was their explanation for last year's re-allocation? I ran the numbers and every single resort and every single season now requires more points for anyone who travels only Sun-Thu. Only if you come BOTH weekend nights can you actually book a room for same or less than year before.... if yo book Fr or Sat only then same formula applies every single ressie in 2010 will cost you more points than the same ressie the year before. To me that is not a re-allocation, that is cost hike.... but that's just me.
Anyway... interested to hear what reasoning they gave, thanks

what was their explanation for last year's re-allocation? ...

every single season now requires more points for anyone who travels only Sun-Thu.

You answered your own question. Booking patterns showed more demand for weeknights versus weekends, and thus the point chart got reallocated. Simple as that. And if booking patterns did not even out with the new chart, we can bet another reallocation is coming soon. And rumors are a seasonal reallocation is likely as well.

To me that is not a re-allocation, that is cost hike.... but that's just me.

Sure, for those who exclusively book Sunday through Thursday now pay more in dues for the same room nights compared to a year ago. But every dime that member pays extra, another member has saved.... Thus when you consider the entire membership base for the entire use year (without cherry picking only the room nights bargain bookers consume) it is a reallocation... A reallocation of the annual expenses of the resort between members based on their usage patterns.

You answered your own question. Booking patterns showed more demand for weeknights versus weekends, and thus the point chart got reallocated. Simple as that. And if booking patterns did not even out with the new chart, we can bet another reallocation is coming soon. And rumors are a seasonal reallocation is likely as well.

Sure, for those who exclusively book Sunday through Thursday now pay more in dues for the same room nights compared to a year ago. But every dime that member pays extra, another member has saved.... Thus when you consider the entire membership base for the entire use year (without cherry picking only the room nights bargain bookers consume) it is a reallocation... A reallocation of the annual expenses of the resort between members based on their usage patterns.

I guess I should have clarified better. When we were in the process of purchasing, the selling agent asked about our usage patterns and how we thought we would use DVC in the future. The first thing I said was we avoid weekends. After living in LA for 6 years and having to take every relative and friend to DL at the worst possible times, we decided never again. He talked about how points are reallocated but never go up as a whole... only the annual maintenance go up in cost. I really picked his brain on this part because I was concerned, but he assured us that with our pattern of avoiding holidays and peak seasons, that reallocating wouldn't affect us because they reallocate "seasons".
Like you said, I figured what had happened, and I do understand the "reasoning" behind it, it's just he never spoke about any scenario like this and made it sound like the reallocation were exclusively based on seasonal adjustments.

And about the "cherry picking" comment. Let's be clear, I know many people who are just like us, they pick the non-weekend days because we don't want the weekend crowds... it has nothng to do with lower point values. And Disney was the ones who made them "bargain days" to get more people in their rooms, don't kid yourselves. I'm not concerned that I don't get "bargain days" anymore, my only concern is that now we may have to stay less days or more off season to do our vacation with the points we have, while one of his key selling points to us was telling us our points would always be enough to vacation like we vacation.

But with all that said we love DVC and are very glad we invested. We look forward to many years of "Disney Magic"!

And about the "cherry picking" comment. Let's be clear, I know many people who are just like us, they pick the non-weekend days because we don't want the weekend crowds... it has nothing to do with lower point values.

Your right, and based on the structure of the DVC point system there is nothing wrong with those who wish to only travel on weekdays. The problem is that lately the balance between weekend and school holiday only versus weekday demand has shifted. The competition over these reservations are going to drive up the point values for those room-nights.

As for "cherry-picking" I am referring to the selection of data points used to determine whether a point reallocation is an overall price increase. If you only look at the booking patterns of one member to form a conclusion then the act of selecting only those data points and excluding the rest of the statistical information is by definition "cherry-picking". DVD is responsible for the entire DVD membership and must, per the member agreement, rebalance the point chart when the reallocation will benefit the membership body as a whole. Of course, anytime these changes occur there will always be some owners who are harmed by the changes and others who will benefit from it. Collectively, though it's a zero sum game.

And Disney was the ones who made them "bargain days" to get more people in their rooms, don't kid yourselves.

Exactly, but it is us as members who want to get more people in the DVC rooms... We require DVD to do this per our member agreement and balance the point chart to maximize occupancy in the DVC resorts every night of the year. Because when a DVC room goes unused, that represents a member who points are going to be lost when they expire. This hurts all of us.

Disney frankly could care less, because they get paid the operation expenses for the room up front regardless of whether the member uses them or not.

I'm not concerned that I don't get "bargain days" anymore, my only concern is that now we may have to stay less days or more off season to do our vacation with the points we have,

Another option you have is to take advantage of another flexible part of the DVC timeshare. Banking and borrowing. No member should have to run out and add on points or feel they must cut back their trip simply because of a point reallocation. If a 100 point member had exactly the points required to book a room for the year, but a reallocation then requires 105 points for the room.... With borrowing it will take that member 20 years before they really run out of points for their desired trip. And in that 20 year period it's likely the points chart will be reallocated once again or the individual member vacation patterns will change.

Luckily the DVC timeshare has all these built in flexibilities to give us owner more options to take full advantage of our memberships.

Without the points based system, the DVC timeshare could just as easily been set up as a week based system, or institute minimum night stays in order to make the dues and room night allocation fairer. This is the trade off we accept for a timeshare with a flexible points system. Placing more of the costs and burdens of the maintenance of the resort on members who travel at peak times, and discount the expenses for those who can travel during off peak times. Based on simple economic tendencies of individuals to look for the best deals possible, we can and should expect the "peak" and "off peak" windows to fluctuate over the years. Thankfully reallocation exists as an option to fix those variations as they come up.

but he [the selling agent] assured us that with our pattern of avoiding holidays and peak seasons, that reallocating wouldn't affect us because they reallocate "seasons".

while one of his key selling points to us was telling us our points would always be enough to vacation like we vacation.

Sadly, this is a far too often occurrence by the Disney sales agents and it's definitely an area Disney need to improve in to make sure the information the agents provide are accurate so the buyers are better informed as to how the product they are buying really works. Obviously this is a complicated product to explain to potential buyers, and I'm sure the sales agents are not trying to mislead or lie to purchasors, but they do need to be more consistent in explaining the technical details of how the timeshare works.

My guide was perfectly clear with me... With DVC there is no guarantee that you will be able to book the same time every year with your DVC contract. The only guarantee is that for the amount of points you have there will be availability at some point in the next 11 months to spend all your points and to have the greatest probability to travel on the dates you desire you must be prepared to book as early as possible. It’s quite possible a member can get shut out of their favorite travel time as demand for those use-nights can spike in the future and the member be forced to travel or accept a room on another night.

A reminder that we are limiting all reallocation discussion to this thread only.

This thread is for discussion of the annual meeting.

Thanks.

The annual dues statement are out:

2. Budgets for 2010 were announced by Lawrence Smith - as already noted on the DIS. There will be a minor adjustment at most resorts due to the actual property taxes. OKW,BWV,VWL and BCV will have a credit of .01 per point adjusted with the 2010 dues. AKV will have a credit adjustment of .05 per point. HH and SSR had no variance as taxes equalled the projection already paid. VB will have an additional .02 per point added in 2010. BLT will have a credit of 0.78 per point and vGC will have a credit of 0.83 per point - both of these wll be prorate based on purchase date (just as the 2009 dues were prorated).

It appears the AKV due adjustment varies depending if your contract is Kidani, or Jambo. On my Kidani contract the adjustment for the actual proprety tax refunded nearly all the entire amount I had paid (just like at BLT). So the credit back for AKV Kidani contracts was $.76 a point (before proration).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter