2007 DVC Member Cruise - SSMC07 - October 21, 2007

Thanks so much to you and Kay and all the others for the invaluable information. It really helped me a lot. Now I am not as nervous. I am still nervous, but not as much. Right after this cruise we are going on the Queen Mary out of Brooklyn for a ten night Caribbean cruise with friends. That one makes me even more nervous.

I still have more questions:

1.Can we send our luggage to the cruise ship by using the Disney luggage tags (and having Disney transport them); then can we skip Disney transportation and rent a minivan ourselves and drive it to the port? The reason I ask this is because the minivan will be packed with people and luggage will not make it.
My educated guess is no. You could call DCL and ask, but I'm sure they will tell you that they will only take luggage for those that have paid for the transporation service.

What car rental companies are at the cruise port? I reserved my minivan with Avis but are there any other companies there since Avis is so expensive (besides Hertz which is also expensive).
As far as I remember, there are 3 companies which offer free shuttle service to/from the terminal to the car rental agencies. Avis, Budget and Hertz. You might also want to check a couple of companies if you are wanting to price compare with a shuttle service. We have used both Art's Transporation when we had 13 in our group and Cocoa Beach Shuttle. Both carry a trailer behind the van and they put your luggage in the trailer and drive you straight to and from the terminal. Both were there at the appointed times for both arrival and departure.

Also I haven't received any luggage tags from Disney. Shouldn't we have them by now?

No, they are pretty slow and if something happens and you don't get them, just get them from the porters at the port. They always have extra luggage tags. When I have extra luggage, I always pre-print out address labels so I don't have to sit and fill them out. Also, I bring extra pre-printed address labels, so on the last night of the cruise I can just slap that on the luggage tags so I don't have to write out my information
Thanks again,
Marylyn

Okay, back to work!

Just got my docs for the member cruise but not the one behind it.

maybe those will come in a few days

Okay, back to work!

Thanks for all that wonderful information. It was very helpful. DCL will ship my luggage, they said, for a fee that will be determined when I ask DVC to contact DCL. It can be done but if the price is too high it would be counter-productive. I'll call DVC and ask them to check for me and get back to the board with the answer.

I looked at the two van companies and they both go from MCO to the Cruise Terminal. Thanks for those names; up until now all I knew were Mears and Happy Limo. This may be a good alternative to both. Doesn't DCL charge $35 per head?

You also mentioned Budget as an alternative to Avis. Are they at the cruise terminal? In fact, you said there is a shuttle from all the companies to the cruise terminal. Aren't any of them at the terminal, like in front of it?

Thanks to everyone again.

there are no car rentals "in front" of the terminal or on property.

All of them are on Astronaut Blvd. in Cocoa Beach about 2 miles away.

In addition to the ones Linda mentioned, Thrifty is there also.

there are no car rentals "in front" of the terminal or on property.

All of them are on Astronaut Blvd. in Cocoa Beach about 2 miles away.

In addition to the ones Linda mentioned, Thrifty is there also.

I didn't know that. I can get a much better rate from Budget or Thrifty rather than Avis or Hertz. I am learning so much here.

BTW, I just checked with DVC and even though DCL will allow ground services to ship my luggage to the cruise ship without me being on a motor coach; DVC will not arrange for it. In other words, DVC's position is- DCL can do whatever they like but DVC will not honor their rules. So NO I cannot have luggage shipped to the boat without me on the motor coach --simply because DVC will not arrange for it.

We got our documents today!!!!!!!

We are renting from Budget. We are getting the car on Sat at the Doubletree. Turning it in on Sunday at Cape Canaveral. Then the other way after the cruise. One of the rental car companies is closed on Sunday, so no shuttle that day. You can turn in the car. I think it was national, not sure.

Marylyn:

this site might be of some help to you - if you have any more questions.

It is a very helpful Q & A site:

http://www.dreamsunlimitedtravel.com/cruise/faq.htm

of course, you can still post your questions here and we will do our best to answer them for you.

I read the information on the faq sheet and I decided to go with FL tours for our round trip transportation to the cruise and back to OKW. According to their website they pick you up in the van at the airport and they will make a 30 minute grocery stop on the way to the cruise. They charge $230 from MCO to the cruise-- and from the cruise back to OKW. That cheaper than a minivan rental and less hassle. Thank you for the wonderful tip. I can relax now. Now I can start cancelling rental cars. I just cancelled Happy Limo saving me over $200. That will pay for the liquor stop and then some.

I would have taken a limo but it's only the 3 of us and its $260.00 and up while with the bus it was only $210.00.Most of the limo companies add in a tip at check-out when booking.The last time I used a limo service the tip was 35% which was $110.00.Im not sure if they do the same at the limo companies on the web-sites (Happy,FL Tours etc..).If I had more going it would be worth.

tiggerguy :thumbsup2

:mad: NO DOCS FOR ME.............:mad: :mad:

Oh, wait, it's too early, mine have to go via slow boat to China first! :confused3
Ditto no doc for us either, that is what I get for asking. So sad, it was feel so good to have those docs in hand.

We are taking a limo from MCO to port and it's gonna run us $305 for 8 of us, no pit stops anywhere. What time do you all recommend we leave the airport? We will be staying at the Hyatt at the airport. Thanks.

geez, what a terrible price you guys are paying for transportation.

That's no fair. Wish I had a bus, I'd pick everyone up and take them to the terminal. :scared1:

Ditto no doc for us either, that is what I get for asking. So sad, it was feel so good to have those docs in hand.

We are taking a limo from MCO to port and it's gonna run us $305 for 8 of us, no pit stops anywhere. What time do you all recommend we leave the airport? We will be staying at the Hyatt at the airport. Thanks.

Oh, wait, it's too early, mine have to go via slow boat to China first! :confused3

No doc here either. I promised myself I would not get too anxious for another week. Then I full reserve the right to freak out ;)

don't worry, I'll get you onboard. I'll call Peter Pan and Tink in and we'll fly you over the ship and drop you on Deck 10 during the sail away party. :rotfl2:

well, I'm all doped up tonight w/Claratin D and Robutussin DM and Tylenol. If I drank I'd take a big slug of something and knock myself out. Good thing the w/end is coming.

We received our travel docs/ luggage tags this evening via UPS!:yay: :cool1: :banana: Hubbie got them and opened them without me there:lmao: Too excited though to be too upset with him. 14 days and counting til vacation starts:goodvibes

I can't believe we are almost there.....
This is going to be my first cruise. Can all of the experts out there give me some advice on the proper tipping for the cruise?

Thank you,
KElly

We got ours today too!!!! yippee. Brought work home and just finished up. I have also been baking up a storm for parents week end.

Kay feel better quickly. I know how bad the waiting is, when dh came home from desert storm it seemed like forever.

Have a great night!!!

I believe tips are included in this one, except for Palo's- but the experts her can confirm this.;)

I would have taken a limo but it's only the 3 of us and its $260.00 and up while with the bus it was only $210.00.Most of the limo companies add in a tip at check-out when booking.The last time I used a limo service the tip was 35% which was $110.00.Im not sure if they do the same at the limo companies on the web-sites (Happy,FL Tours etc..).If I had more going it would be worth.

tiggerguy :thumbsup2

The limo was $173 plus tip to the cruise and $200 back to OKW.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter